mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Ibis Mojo Fit and Sizing?

Ok, so I'm a 5'9.5" and ride XC/Trail and some AM stuff. A normal 5'9.5" guy would fit squarely on a Medium bike, but I am oddly proportioned. I have a really short inseam (under 30") and a very long torso. I'm looking for advice from current Ibis owners about standover and fit.

I've had several mountain bikes before, and I have found my ideal handlebar to mid-seatpost to be just over 27" (695mm). This means I should fit on a L or XL Ibis mojo. Ibis website lists the ETT on the Large at 600mm and 620mm on the XL. Sounds kind of crazy for my height, doesn't it? On my current bikes, I run a 16mm setback post and 80mm stem for a 600mm ETT, and a straight post and 90mm stem on a 615mm ETT.

Is there some funny math going on here? Doesn't seem reasonable for me to fit on an XL, but I'd prefer running a straight post, shorter stem, and having a taller headtube. Any thoughts? How does Ibis sizing measure up to Yeti, Santa Cruz, GT, Orbea, Specialized, etc? I am a medium on Yeti, large on santa cruz, large on GT, medium on orbea, medium/large on specialized).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    sounds like your similar proportions to me (im 30" inseam but 5'10"), i have a long torso

id say i prefer more a more upright position.

i ride a large mojo with 70mm stem, 0 setback post, lowrise bars, high cane creek headset cap with 20mm spacer.

also ride a large santa cruz blur xc carbon with same setup, except minus 20mm spacer, im a bit more stretched out on this bike

mtbr member
    There are many old threads with lots of good input on this subject, but my gut says large for you. An XL for 5'9" just sounds too big, even with atypical proportions. But fit is so subjective, so if you cant demo both then i'd at least read some old threads on Mojo sizing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I just threw a leg over both a large and an XL. The large definitely feels too compressed for my purposes, and the XL feels too tall, but the ETT seemed spot on with an 80mm stem and 700mm bars. I do like a more upright position, but it doesn't seem like the Ibis is exactly right.

mtbr member
    it's not just you - I'm the same height, 30" inseam and I ride a Large with a shortish stem. Love the size of it. Medium was far too tight. Didn't try an XL...

Members who have read this thread: 0