mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Ibis Hub - rear hub moves with drop-outs

I have found that my rear hub can move within the drop-outs, its happened 3 times now, which is pretty disconcerting though thankfully never during a downhill or at speed. The first time it happened I was bunnyhopping over a small hole, second time, whilst not riding I pulled my bike up by the handlebars letting it bounce on the back wheel as if doing a vertical wheelie, the third I was going up a hill crossing a rut which threw me off, each time the hub slipped in the drop-outs

I know the obvious answer is to do the wheel QR tighter, but its already tight. I was wondering if carbon paste would help? Maybe I should go to the bolt through, though I quite like the QR. Any ideas?

www.derbyrims.com
    Yes, tighter QR. Wipe a little lube or oil on the cam face while the QR is open and close/open a few times to spread it. It will close with a tighter nut at the other end.

Not all QR's are created equal. The Shimano QR have better leverage in the release cam than the more common types, but are a bit heavier. Also DT Swiss makes a ratcheting QR which tightens up much like bolt on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks derby. Any view on using carbon paste aswell?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Also DT Swiss makes a ratcheting QR which tightens up much like bolt on.
    Get one of those ^^^^

You say it's tight, but is it tight? Reason I ask is tight to one person isn't tight to another. My girlfriend tightens her QR, then I check it and it feels way too loose. I never let her ride the bike until I've checked the QRs. Have someone else give it a check to see if they think it's tight.

The DT option is really nice and is much easier to tighten too.

Carbon paste may help, but this would be the first time I've hear of anyone using it to keep the rear wheel in. So I'm gonna have to say it's just not tight enough. There is always the possibility that there is something mechanically wrong keeping it from tightening all the way.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Gate25
    Thanks derby. Any view on using carbon paste aswell?
    It won't hurt to try, it should help add friction. QR skewers stretch a little, like a spring, friction isn't the whole problem. I had to really bang on my rear QR lever with my hand to get fairly good tightness with a common type QR's (Salsa and later American Classic) to avoid creaks. Eventually went to bolt on (10mm), which improved trail feel from less hub/swingarm flex also.

mtbr member
    Like derby said...

You can also try switching to an internal cam QR (like shimano). These tend to have a lot more bite than exposed cam QRs. They solve similar wheel/hub issues with older bikes that have extremely hard chrome steel drop outs.

Members who have read this thread: 0