Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    63

    Ibis hub play...is it cooked?

    Hey y'all,

    I've been riding the Ibis/Flow wheelset that came on my HD pretty hard for the last few months. I noticed creaking/clicking coming from the front end yesterday and tracked it to the front hub. While the wheel is locked into the dropout (Fox 20mm) I can rock the wheel a couple of mm in either direction, and man does it make an unhappy sound. I removed the 20mm adapter cap and found that the looseness/play is on both sides of the hub in the pieces that the adapter press fits onto. Does this mean this hub killed? Can I replace the bearings/something else and make the play go away? Should I pony up the $250 for some Azonic Outlaws until I can afford some Hadleys to rebuild my Flows onto? Better ideas? These wheels have over 100 hours of ride time on them already, including a dozen bike park days, so I'm not too surprised to see some play coming around, but I'd love to not have to rebuild/replace them yet if possible. What do ya think?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Magsrgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    The flow rim is excellent so I would definitely keep that and lace a ok hub to it that will do the trick until you have the money. Call Chad at Red Barn Cycles, hes a unreal wheel builder and can set you up right, his prices are great too. You might want to look into something like a Hope Pro2 Front hub they're pretty reasonable, plus no need to replace the rear hub until it starts going.

    Or just get the front hub serviced if it's still fixable!

  3. #3
    Guesswho117
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    254
    Take it to the shop where you bought the bike. This should be a warranty issue.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by ripple220
    Hey y'all,

    I've been riding the Ibis/Flow wheelset that came on my HD pretty hard for the last few months. I noticed creaking/clicking coming from the front end yesterday and tracked it to the front hub. While the wheel is locked into the dropout (Fox 20mm) I can rock the wheel a couple of mm in either direction, and man does it make an unhappy sound. I removed the 20mm adapter cap and found that the looseness/play is on both sides of the hub in the pieces that the adapter press fits onto. Does this mean this hub killed? Can I replace the bearings/something else and make the play go away? Should I pony up the $250 for some Azonic Outlaws until I can afford some Hadleys to rebuild my Flows onto? Better ideas? These wheels have over 100 hours of ride time on them already, including a dozen bike park days, so I'm not too surprised to see some play coming around, but I'd love to not have to rebuild/replace them yet if possible. What do ya think?
    The bearings may be toast, but the other things you describe are normal. Check out the bearings and if they are OK, just lube and reassemble and see how it runs. If the bearings are rough or quite loose, then it's time to take it to the shop and see about getting the bearings replaced or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Like bearings should are probably available from Enduro.

    H

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,330
    id hate to jack a thread but since we are on the subject...

    who makes the hubs for ibis?

    also do they use open bearing or sealed bearing systems?

  6. #6
    what's that rattle?
    Reputation: Blofeld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    324

    Fork Preload

    You may want to check the tolerance between the hub width and the fork's dropout width. Fox TAs don't really preload the hub with the dropouts when you screw them in so if the hub is too narrow for the fork there will be play.

    I spent way too much time checking the bearings on a Hadley front hub before I realized this was the problem. I'm now in the habit of lightly pressing the right fork leg against the hub while tightening the pinch bolts / quick releases.
    Last edited by Blofeld; 08-19-2010 at 11:04 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    63
    Right on, thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take pretty much all of the advice in this thread, as well as my second option: bearings in the hubs are indeed spent (gritty and loose feeling), so I pulled them and will get some Enduro replacements (just installed their seal kit on my 36 Talas this week and can't believe the difference, Enduro sure seems to make some good stuff. Sure wish Fox shipped their forks with the right oil volumes though, there was less than 3cc's in the Talas leg of a less than three month old fork. Sigh, least it's awesome now.) Also, thanks Blofeld for the advice on the fork's preload on the hub, I was kind of wondering if there wasn't quite enough "squeeze" there, will be careful in the future. Lastly, I ordered the Azonic Outlaws anyway. $250 shipped to the door wasn't too bad I guess. Decided that having two different wheelsets for the HD will let her be a bit more versatile as I can take the dual-ply DH meat off of the Flows and keep it reserved for lift-served on the Azonics and put something narrower/lighter on the Flows for trail. Thanks so much for the help guys!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    The bearings may be toast, but the other things you describe are normal. Check out the bearings and if they are OK, just lube and reassemble and see how it runs. If the bearings are rough or quite loose, then it's time to take it to the shop and see about getting the bearings replaced or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Like bearings should are probably available from Enduro.

    H
    Hans

    Is there a method of removing the hub inners, I have the same issue as Ripple220, but I can not seeming remove the hub inserts by hand. Is their a tool or some trick for doing this?

    An instruction service note on these hubs would be great.
    Last edited by Gate25; 09-12-2010 at 01:08 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Gate25
    Hans

    Is there a method of removing the hub inners, I have the same issue as Ripple220, but I can not seeming remove the hub inserts by hand. Is their a tool or some trick for doing this?

    An instruction service note on these hubs would be great.
    We're looking into putting a hub service / rebuild kit together along with the bearing puller tool you would need. We'll post again as we find out more.
    H

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10

    wheel wobble

    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    We're looking into putting a hub service / rebuild kit together along with the bearing puller tool you would need. We'll post again as we find out more.
    H

    Hans

    Thanks for the reply. I really need the puller tool, my wheel wobble is getting alot worse, the brake discs are now hitting the pads. I'm thinking about making my own puller, but would prefer to buy one.

    Also you mentioned the bearings can be purchased from Enduro what size and spec do I need?

    Thanks

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,440

    Ibis Hub Parts

    These guys can get you the parts and puller. This is the US office of the company that makes the hubs
    EDIT: They are are supposed to get the parts soon and may have them any time. We are waiting as well:

    Henry Hinojosa

    NOVATEC USA

    2321 E. 4th St. Suite C 458

    Santa Ana, CA 92705

    henry@novatecusa.net

    Phone 714-585-5469

    www.novatecusa.net

    Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 11-01-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.