Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ibis Hakka MX

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last edited by bigolclyde; 11-27-2017 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    ...and it's beautiful. One minor disappointment is the lack of fender mounts on the fork like the frame has. Whisky makes such a fork, so one could get there if fenders are of high importance. For a bike such as this that can swing from full blown 'cross race bike to bikepacker to commuter to..., there are scenarios where full fenders are really nice. My spring time set-up includes fenders. Now, do I actually get out in the conditions often that necessitate them? Ok, maybe not so much, but they sure make the mixed conditions riding more bearable.

Outside of that, this thing rocks. I'm very curious to ride this with the 650B wheel option. That opens up a lot of terrain, and probably offers quite a boost in comfort and control.

Ride On!
    Not a gravel rider... but if it was Surprised at the lack of interest ??
    Last edited by NorthSideOf50; 11-14-2017 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member
    I was pretty dang sure one of these was in my future, but after going over the geometry I end up right in between the 55 and 58. The 55 is too short and the 58 is pretty tall for my shortish legs for my height. I could probably "make it work", but I really hate making weird accommodations for a frame that just simply isn't the right size. Even though they cut the number of frame sizes from 6 to 5 with this update, I can't fault ibis...you're always going to have people that fall in between sizes unless you invest way more in tooling to add more frame sizes to minimize the gaps between them. Even so, I will be very curious to hear what people think about this new offering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    I was pretty dang sure one of these was in my future, but after going over the geometry I end up right in between the 55 and 58. The 55 is too short and the 58 is pretty tall for my shortish legs for my height. I could probably "make it work", but I really hate making weird accommodations for a frame that just simply isn't the right size. Even though they cut the number of frame sizes from 6 to 5 with this update, I can't fault ibis...you're always going to have people that fall in between sizes unless you invest way more in tooling to add more frame sizes to minimize the gaps between them. Even so, I will be very curious to hear what people think about this new offering.
    I have the same concerns. Curious as to your height, inseam?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also ineterested in what 650 rims would fit, as ibis made some 741 wheels that had a 142 axle.....reckon they would work? Benifets of the wide would be perfect on this rig! Ibis don't seem to specify....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by missing link View Post
    I'm 5' 11", 31+" inseam. I have a Felt F1X as my primary race bike that has a 56.5cm tt that feels perfect and the standover is quite a bit more than the 58 Haka. With shorter frames (like the 55), toe overlap is a real concern (tight 'cross courses is where you really notice it) and is an issue I've had with other frames in the past, especially with cleats pushed back as is pretty common these days.

Ibis does note that 650B and 700c/33c tires reduce the standover by 6mm vs what is shown. That helps a tiny amount, as these are the two most common tire sizes I'd probably run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a 56cm Specialized Crux, fits me well, albeit with significant toe overlap. I was hoping to reduce the overlap on next frame. The Crux's measurements either mirror or are slightly larger than the 55cm Ibis. I am definitely going to ride both sizes before purchasing.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Benifets of the wide would be perfect on this rig!
    Curious to hear more about this. Have you tried running some of the new wide road tires on a rim like the 741/742? I would have guessed these tires (like the WTB Byway or Horizon) are designed around a much narrower rim & therefore not ideal, but your post got me (re)thinking.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks fantastic. I was looking at the Open or the Exploro, but now this...

mtbr member
    I think it looks amazing and have been tempted to get it. My main hesitation is that rigid carbon bikes can be brutally stiff, so you need the fat tires and low psi just to get the comfort you had on a steel or ti frame with skinner tires. Definitely noticed this when going to a carbon fork on my current monster cross bike. At least one of the initial ride reviews hinted that the stiffness of this bike could be a bit punishing off-road.

mtbr member
    Where is the front derailleur port on this thing? Nothing obvious from the pictures available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    I think it looks amazing and have been tempted to get it. My main hesitation is that rigid carbon bikes can be brutally stiff, so you need the fat tires and low psi just to get the comfort you had on a steel or ti frame with skinner tires. Definitely noticed this when going to a carbon fork on my current monster cross bike. At least one of the initial ride reviews hinted that the stiffness of this bike could be a bit punishing off-road.
    Stiffness and ride quality are function of so much more than just material, especially when you're talking carbon. The lay up, wall thickness, geometry, etc. play a huge roll as well. I have a Foundry Auger as my 'cross "B" bike and also use it for all-road rides. My main 'cross race bike is a Felt F1X. Both of these are carbon, but the difference in ride quality is very noticeable. The Auger has a much softer ride and consequently use it for really rough courses. That said, the Auger has always frustrated me with brake rotor rub. The combo of flex and quick release dropouts are the main culprits. The Felt is pretty harsh if you are just puttering around, but comes into its own at speed. It's super efficient and corners and accelerates like crazy. The question with the MX is, how did they tune the ride? The cool thing with the wheel/tire size options is that you can do some of that tuning yourself...it's one of the things that draws me to this bike. I sure wish I could demo one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It's here. Picked it up from the LBS today... hopefully it will get built up tomorrow. The frame looks great.

Just an FYI for those building up a frame- I am moving brakes over from another bike that is post mount front and rear. My original plan was to use a flat to post adapter in the rear since the Hakka is a flat mount frame. No issue in front since the Enve fork is post. My LBS said that they confirmed with Ibis that the adapter would work (because I thought it looked like it would be tight from the pics that were available). I'm guessing there was a miscommunication when they asked the question because the adapter doesn't even come close to clearing the frame. There was also some confusion when they ordered the adapter- they ordered the wrong thing and had to reorder after I showed them the adapter I needed online... i think they asked the wrong question because they didn't really understand what I asked them to confirm. Is what it is. I'll deal with finding a flat mount caliper tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrvrtg7 View Post
    It's here. Picked it up from the LBS today... hopefully it will get built up tomorrow. The frame looks great.

Just an FYI for those building up a frame- I am moving brakes over from another bike that is post mount front and rear. My original plan was to use a flat to post adapter in the rear since the Hakka is a flat mount frame. No issue in front since the Enve fork is post. My LBS said that they confirmed with Ibis that the adapter would work (because I thought it looked like it would be tight from the pics that were available). I'm guessing there was a miscommunication when they asked the question because the adapter doesn't even come close to clearing the frame. There was also some confusion when they ordered the adapter- they ordered the wrong thing and had to reorder after I showed them the adapter I needed online... i think they asked the wrong question because they didn't really understand what I asked them to confirm. Is what it is. I'll deal with finding a flat mount caliper tomorrow.

Nice! Keep us updated with pics on the build and congrats!
    Last edited by NorthSideOf50; 12-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Awesome, looks sweet! I will be interested in your thoughts after building and riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Looks sweet. I was planning to do the same, which adapter did you try, the Shimano post to flat?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Ibis Hakka MX

Quote Originally Posted by denzeo View Post
    Looks sweet. I was planning to do the same, which adapter did you try, the Shimano post to flat?
    Actually, the TRP--- same size and general shape of the shimano, though. Not even close to fitting, at least on a 55cm frame. May have more room on larger sizes, but I'd be surprised if it fits any size.

Those are with the front bolt in- you can't even rotate it around for the rear holes to line up and the adapter to sit flat on the frame mounts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    oh man, that's not good! thx for posting the pics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    No problem.

The dark side is quicker
    Got my 61cm Black MX yesterday.
    Already had flat rear, post front brakes so that was all good. Wanting to go 160/160 though, so now Im waiting for the flat mount adapter (be here thursday). Other than that. its about 90% built. Starting with the 27.5 setup. :-)

The "integrated di2 battery mount" was a little confusing, and underwhelming, but it works.

Only issue is, the Stages power meter will not clear the chain stay without a little love with spacing. Had to add about 2mm of spacers on the non-drive side to clear. Probably wont keep it on there for long.
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit View Post
    Got my 61cm Black MX yesterday.
    Already had flat rear, post front brakes so that was all good. Wanting to go 160/160 though, so now Im waiting for the flat mount adapter (be here thursday). Other than that. its about 90% built. Starting with the 27.5 setup. :-)

The "integrated di2 battery mount" was a little confusing, and underwhelming, but it works.

Only issue is, the Stages power meter will not clear the chain stay without a little love with spacing. Had to add about 2mm of spacers on the non-drive side to clear. Probably wont keep it on there for long.
    Thanks for the info. Please could you tell me which crank you're currently using? I was thinking of using the stages SRAM crank arm.

Cheers
    Sam

The dark side is quicker
    Ultegra 6800.
    I would think any crank with the 149mm Q-factor and stages will have issues...I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by NZsam View Post
    Thanks for the info. Please could you tell me which crank you're currently using? I was thinking of using the stages SRAM crank arm.

Cheers
    Sam
    Last edited by evilbullit; 01-18-2018 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsam View Post

Cheers
    Sam
    Good to know! I hope there are no issues with my quarq Dfour.

The dark side is quicker
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Roads View Post
    Where is the front derailleur port on this thing? Nothing obvious from the pictures available.
    Mechanical cable exit is behind the BB, on the chain stay BB junction area. Bottom pull derailleur. It is routed internally under the crank spindle/BB and come out the back.

Di2 exit is below the bottle cage mounts on the seat tube.

The dark side is quicker
    That should be fine.
    The Stages uses a "pod" on the non-drive crank arm, not in the spider like Quarg/SRM. If the Stages pod was 2 or 3mm more inboard on the arm there wouldn't be any issue. It just hits the corner of the battery cover on the chain stay.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Roads View Post
    Good to know! I hope there are no issues with my quarq Dfour.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That should be fine.
    The Stages uses a "pod" on the non-drive crank arm, not in the spider like Quarg/SRM. If the Stages pod was 2 or 3mm more inboard on the arm there wouldn't be any issue. It just hits the corner of the battery cover on the chain stay.
    Do you think the 2mm of spacers solves the Stages fit problem or is the crank not really secure with the extra spacers on? I had planned on running my Stages dura ace crank on it.

The dark side is quicker
    We are working with the idea that as long as the ďpinĒ goes into the hole, then it is ok and safe. Of course Iím talking about that little plastic piece on the NDS.

Be aware that with the spacers installed, the pin will not pivot into place. But, if you remove the piece and insert it straight down, then put the crank arm bolts through it, it will work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thx, good luck with your build!

The dark side is quicker

Build Complete...and I can't stop smiling

I was so excited when this bike was announced, and Ibis did not disappoint.

61cm Black
    Ultegra Di2 w/ XT rear der.
    Ultegra cranks w/ Wolftooth 42t oval
    Syntace P6 seatpost, Enve stem, EC90 46cm bars
    Specialized power saddle

For wheels 27.5 is I9 ultralite w/ Thunder Burt 27.5 x 2.1
    700c is DT 240S hubs on HED Belgium rims w/ 40c Maxxis Refuse tires

Full up weight with 27.5s is 19lbs even.

Ibis Hakka MX-image3-1.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-image4.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Hakka MX-image1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks good! I'll be interested in your ride impressions after you have some time on it.

mtbr member
    Full up weight with 27.5s is 19lbs even.
    Sweet, i was wondering why they were not listing the weight on any of the specs. I've been trying to order one with the build kit and nobody seems to have those yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice kit. Very nice

The dark side is quicker
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    Sweet, i was wondering why they were not listing the weight on any of the specs. I've been trying to order one with the build kit and nobody seems to have those yet.
    Could probably drop another 1lb or more by swapping out a few parts...cassette, pedals, and wheels if I really wanted to get froggy. The I9's are awesome, but almost 1700g.

Feels like I had to beg Ibis to send one to me. :-)
    When I was talking to them, the first batch was pretty much sold out. 2nd shipment should be arriving first week January.

Ive got 2 rides on it now...I would gladly wait until January to get one! Don't settle for something else if this is what you want.

mtbr member
    Ive got 2 rides on it now...I would gladly wait until January to get one! Don't settle for something else if this is what you want.
    I have time, broke my collarbone 3 weeks ago. I will definitely be getting one though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Finally built. Can't wait to get some miles on it.

55cm
    Force 1
    42t Wolftooth DM ring
    I9 TR CX 700c wheels
    40c Maxxis Ramblers
    EC70 stem, seat post, and bars
    ESI tape
    WTB Volt team saddle

mtbr member
    Finally built. Can't wait to get some miles on it.

55cm
    Force 1
    42t Wolftooth DM ring
    I9 TR CX 700c wheels
    40c Maxxis Ramblers
    EC70 stem, seat post, and bars
    ESI tape
    WTB Volt team saddle

Just curious, how tall are you? I like all the numbers on the 55cm geometry, except that (short, for me) top tube length.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    Just curious, how tall are you? I like all the numbers on the 55cm geometry, except that (short, for me) top tube length.
    I am just short of 5'10". I'm coming off of a 53cm Niner RLT9 (Niner sizing said I should have been on a 56, but I was comfy on it for long rides- 100mi+)
    The 55cm Hakka is 5mm longer TT, so it'll probably feel roomy to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Got it on a scale this morning. As pictured- 17.64lb... without the xt pedals, 16.77lb. Just a short neighborhood ride so far... raining on and off so a longer ride will have to wait. Seems snappy and fun...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Dying here.....I "need" a gravel bike. I live in Gravel Bike Country here in VT, but really, really want a longer travel full suss too.

Already have a Ripley so the answer seems obvious, but.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Ibis Hakka MX

Got a proper ride in today... Such a fun bike. Well worth the wait.
    Coming from an alloy Niner RLT9--- I loved the Niner, but this bike is just amazing. The fit is better for me, and the ride is so smooth in comparison. I was worried the steeper head angle (71 vs 72) might compromise stability (one of the things I really like about the Niner), but it feels really stable at speed on rough gravel descents while being super precise and lively... the Hakka is also WAY better on the paved sections between the dirt.
    Ibis did a great job on this one.

Last edited by rtrvrtg7; 12-20-2017 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Dying here.....I "need" a gravel bike. I live in Gravel Bike Country here in VT, but really, really want a longer travel full suss too.

Already have a Ripley so the answer seems obvious, but.....
    The Hakka looks really good next to my Ripley... just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does the D30 Wheels come with I9 hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From the Ibis website under details for the Hakka MX, it appears that they come with the Ibis hubs.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakka_mx/:
    "Ibis D30 Carbon: With the launch of the Hakka MX, we are also launching our new carbon fiber gravel/cross wheelset, called the D30. The rim features a 21mm inner rim diameter and weighs 425g. Theyíre ideal for tires between 30-42c but will play nice with anything down to a 23c. The D30s feature a slight hook bead. This helps keep tubeless tires locked in place at standard road pressures.
    The wheels feature 24 Spoke drilling, bladed Pillar spokes with alloy nipples, and our proven Ibis hubs, which can be fitted with a SRAM XD driver, a Shimano 11sp road driver or a Shimano 11sp mountain driver (yes, they're different). They feature 12mm through axles front and rear, and the spacing is 100mm up front and 142 in the rear.
    The wheels will be available on our $3,299 Rival build for an $800 upgrade fee. They will ship standard on our $6,499 Ultegra Di2 model. The new D30 rims are backed by our seven-year warranty, which also covers standard rim impacts."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess for $800 you are not getting I9 hubs. Now the question is do I go with D30 or the 735s? I suspect I will be more road gravel on this bike than trail. So perhaps the D30 is the best way to go. Or both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    800+500=1300. You don't get both wheelsets, so they discount the upgrade wheels by the cost of baseline wheelset. Price is inline with the carbon hoops/in-house-hub wheelsets they sell online.

mtbr member

Merry Christmas to me!

Ibis Hakka MX-ibis.jpg

My new 55cm Hakka MX is almost complete, just waiting on a flat mount caliper to come for the rear. Also, having an issue with the small cog on SRAM 10-42 cassette not having enough clearance for the frame. This is my first time using a XD driver and I've taken it apart sevl times and looked at every tech article/video I can find but no luck. The hub is SRAM S900. Any suggestions anyone? BTW, thanks for the help rtrvrtg7!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibis.jpg 
Views:	2925 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	1174185

My new 55cm Hakka MX is almost complete, just waiting on a flat mount caliper to come for the rear. Also, having an issue with the small cog on SRAM 10-42 cassette not having enough clearance for the frame. This is my first time using a XD driver and I've taken it apart sevl times and looked at every tech article/video I can find but no luck. The hub is SRAM S900. Any suggestions anyone? BTW, thanks for the help rtrvrtg7!
    Chris
    Looking good.
    I'm not familiar with the 900 hubs or their end caps. May want to make sure you have the right caps. I know some manufacturers have different caps for XD and HG. SRAM hubs may or may not. I remember having an issue with some Hope hubs- I had HG 12x142 caps and the spacing was off with the XD driver. I just had to get the right caps and all was good.
    It's a long shot, but worth checking.

The dark side is quicker
    Well, about 300 miles on mine so far and it is everything I had hoped for!
    No creaks, crackles or any unwanted flex.

Been riding mostly with the 27.5 setup on some single track and gravel trails. Once the weather gets nicer I will get the 700x40 wheels on and test out the road ability.

mtbr member
    Finally got my rear hub issue resolved and it was the xd driver that was not 100% seated correctly. Should finally have my Force flat mount caliper in tomorrow which was very hard to find right now. Did any of you guys change out the hex bolt thru axles for ones with levers? The Paragon Works DT thru axle was easy to find for front Enve fork but I searched high & low for one to fit the rear (with no help from Ibis tech support) and only one close with right thread pitch was this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-bike-al...72.m2749.l2649

Got it today and it fits nicely and looks almost identical to the DT/Paragon T/A only without the DT logo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    Finally got my rear hub issue resolved and it was the xd driver that was not 100% seated correctly. Should finally have my Force flat mount caliper in tomorrow which was very hard to find right now. Did any of you guys change out the hex bolt thru axles for ones with levers? The Paragon Works DT thru axle was easy to find for front Enve fork but I searched high & low for one to fit the rear (with no help from Ibis tech support) and only one close with right thread pitch was this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-bike-al...72.m2749.l2649

Got it today and it fits nicely and looks almost identical to the DT/Paragon T/A only without the DT logo.
    Glad you got the xd driver sorted. I was curious...

I was impatient with trying to source just the caliper- I ordered a whole lever/flat caliper set... So now I have both a spare lever and post caliper. I like spare parts, though.

I stuck with the included hex bolt axles. I like the cleaner look, and I always have a multi tool with me. I wish both were the same hex size, but not really a big deal (fork axle uses 6mm, and rear axle uses 5mm).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    @evilbullit: Looks awesome! How tall are you? I just ordered a 58, but could have gone either way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hmmm... Think one of the Fox AX forks would fit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpink504 View Post
    @evilbullit: Looks awesome! How tall are you? I just ordered a 58, but could have gone either way.

I'm just a hair under 6ft and went to the shop to check out my friends size 58 that was partially built up and although I think I can ride it with a 90mm stem and be ok, I'm going to size down to a 55 which would be closer to my 56 road bike geo.

The dark side is quicker
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpink504 View Post
    Sorry for the delay. Im 6'4". Im riding the 61cm with a 90mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sorry for the delay. Im 6'4". Im riding the 61cm with a 90mm stem.
    I'm 6'4" as well. I went with the 58 and a 110 stem. It's supposed to arrive next week and I AM PUMPED.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Hakka

First ride on the Hakka. The bike is incredible. Climbs incredibly well and descends better than any cross/gravel bike I have ridden.

Size 58
    SRAM X1 with easton 40T ring and 11-42 cassette
    Easton bar and crank
    Zipp Stem
    Ride Fast Hot Wire Wheels
    Carbon dropper post
    Speedplay syzr pedals

17lbs complete

Ibis Hakka MX-img_0783.jpg

The dark side is quicker
    Quote Originally Posted by will2007 View Post
    First ride on the Hakka. The bike is incredible. Climbs incredibly well and descends better than any cross/gravel bike I have ridden.

Size 58
    SRAM X1 with easton 40T ring and 11-42 cassette
    Easton bar and crank
    Zipp Stem
    Ride Fast Hot Wire Wheels
    Carbon dropper post
    Speedplay syzr pedals

17lbs complete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg 
Views:	1526 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	1178747
    17 with dropper? Impressive!
    What BB did you use with those Easton cranks?
    Thinking about getting a set of those (since I use the Next SLs on all my MTBs), but I think the only option is a King BB???

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    17 with dropper? Impressive!
    What BB did you use with those Easton cranks?
    Thinking about getting a set of those (since I use the Next SLs on all my MTBs), but I think the only option is a King BB???
    17lb is quite light... especially with dropper...
    Wheels MFG has T47 BBs now. Both internal and external bearing versions. Thatís what I went with for my BB30 Force cranks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It is a Chris King BB

mtbr member

99% complete

99% complete. Waiting on the Hope seatpost, so the Ibis one is a placeholder from my Hakkalugi Disc. Size 58, 19lbs flat (no sealant in the tires yet). Chris King T47 GXP bb, Ultegra 8000 build with Quarg PM and DA 50/34 rings. The exit port is less than ideally placed for the TRP Spyre flat mount rear brake. Feel isn't great because of that. The Ultegra mechanical/hydro levers were impossible to get when I was sourcing this, but it will probably eventually get re-build with those and Hope hydro brakes after the spring gravel season.

Ibis Hakka MX-img_8357.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-img_8358.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-img_8366.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-53800189354__5932df93-75e3-4bae-a6ef-49fc1d033ae7.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What's the consensus between 650b or 700c here? Tax man giveth this year.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    Get both.

...for reals though, what kind of riding do you have planned? There are some very meaty 700c tires these days, so IMO, I'd start with those.

I'm planning a HakkaMX build and will definitely run both eventually, but will be kicking off with the 700c wheels.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I started out with 700 mainly because thatís what I already had... but thatís probably best for what I do with it. With a good 40c tire, itís pretty versatile.

I am curious about 650,though, and will likely get a set eventually. Iíd be more inclined if the Hakka was a one bike solution... but, I have mountain bikes for tougher terrain.

mtbr member
    The 2.1" will be overkill for some gravel events, but ideal for others... I say BOTH

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    ITT: folks spending other people's money. I'm leaning toward the 700c config as I think the ibis wheel set will be cheaper to get separately later on. The taxman may giveth, but he don't giveth thaaaat much.

Too Much Fun
    ITT: folks spending other people's money.
    Easy come, easy go, especially when it's the next man's dough!

Starting with the 700c wheels makes sense.

I actually just realized I can probably use my old 27.5 MTB wheels on this bad boy too...
    - -benja- -

screamer
    I have both for my gravel bike (also does CX & road duty, not a Hakka but quite similar) and I haven't put the 700s on in at least six months. Unless you're trying to hang on a fast club road ride, I've found no compelling reason to go 700 on a bike like this.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What do you think of it as a road bike?
    Climbs, fast descending, cornering, braking, ride quality...
    Thinking about using it as a commuter also.
    I am 6í and 3/4 inches, tall 170 pounds.
    Roads will be smooth to crappy Washington D.C.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any of you compare it to the Lynskey Pro GR?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Would boost spacing/148 be even better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Klasse? You're on the wrong account.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    More helpfully (turning the salt down a few ticks):

I don't think this is a good space for boost with a standard width bottom bracket due to its intended design to use 1x drivetrains. Looking at the Mojo 3, the max 1x chainring is a 32-34, vs a 48 here. The chain stays would have to open up to accommodate the wider width so you would have to either widen the crank spacing to accommodate the bigger rings, or limit the max ring size to a less versatile 34ish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    More helpfully (turning the salt down a few ticks):

I don't think this is a good space for boost with a standard width bottom bracket due to its intended design to use 1x drivetrains. Looking at the Mojo 3, the max 1x chainring is a 32-34, vs a 48 here. The chain stays would have to open up to accommodate the wider width so you would have to either widen the crank spacing to accommodate the bigger rings, or limit the max ring size to a less versatile 34ish.
    It seems that Boost is so good for 29 wheeled bikes.
    So why not 700c or 650b...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    "Looking at the Mojo 3, the max 1x chainring is a 32-34, vs a 48 here."
    Wider hub = wider chainstays = smaller 1x chainring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Finally got out for a shakedown ride on mine. Stock Rival build with the saddle and bars swapped out for a Silverado and Easton EA70AX. ~18lbs for a size 49.

It is super fun to ride - did 60km of mixed pavement and gravel, with a little snow, mud and ice thrown in. I have the bars set a hair too high, but otherwise loving this bike

Ibis Hakka MX-hakka-wild.jpg

Too Much Fun

Good job! Looks like mine is almost ready to go...

My new Hakka should arrive early next week. Shout to the amazing crew at Tenafly Bicycle Workshop (TBW). They really sweat the details and hustle to dial things just right.

Can't wait to ride the shiz out of this thing.

Hakka MX - Black 53
    Rival kit with these upgrades:
    Ibis D30 carbon wheels
    Easton EC70 AX carbon bars
    Easton EC90 SL crank w/AX power meter
    King T47 BB
    CC 110 bearings

Ibis Hakka MX-img_6115-2.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-img_6114.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-img_6122-1.jpg
    Ibis Hakka MX-img_6126.jpg
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My order is in. 58/rival/700c. Will update what the delivery time frame is for California delivery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    LBS says early March, the B2B page says Mid-April. Sooooo yea. We'll see.
    On order: black 58c rival1 700c

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    LBS says April now. Kinda a bummer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    it will be worth the wait

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by missing link View Post
    I got the same problem. I'm riding a Santa Cruz Stigmata 56 right now and the Hakka, which I've been waiting for, is right in between sizes. I have one on order but they're out of frames till April so I have time to change my mind. If the Santa Cruz accepted 650b tires my decision would be easy, but that's one of the main reasons I want the Hakka.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The concerns mentioned about Ďstiffnessí are not unfounded. Iím coming off an older Al Warbird and the Ibis has stiffness. Iím not a small bloke and itís somewhat brutal for my taste. Iíve selected 27.5/Rival complete. The handlebars are absolute gash and have no biz on a bike like this. The finish is a bit substandard for a bike in this price range (missed paint, rough edges) but not too easily noticed. Itís an orangish red, brighter than photos I saw before ordering. I flipped the stem to raise the bar which warranted a new hydraulic line and bleed as the stock became too short.
    Iíd recommend riding this bike before buying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Besides the Hakka, OPEN U.P. (and its variants) and chinese frames, what others out there accept 2.1 650b tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Kona make a Rove for 650b, a steel frame with carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Besides the Hakka, OPEN U.P. (and its variants) and chinese frames, what others out there accept 2.1 650b tires?
    3T Exploro comes to mind, plus I read about new offerings regularly from other mfgs...seems like it has become a "thing". Whisky parts just announced a fork for these applications; No 9 RD+ (with fender mounts!).

Dropshot Champ!
    Ibis Hakka MX-mvimg_20180304_231726_1_exported_643281233592303234.jpg

Ibis Hakka MX-img_20180305_183320.jpg

Still dialing in the fit with the power saddle, but the bike is rad.

Rough build list:
    55cm frame
    Mix of sram 2x11, with rival levers
    46/48 easton carbon bars
    32h carbon wheels (i23)

Ready to ride @ 17.0 lbs (pedals, garmin mount, cages) with do-it-all maxxis re-fuse 32mm tires. It'll likely gain weight with WTB Riddler's.

Goal is to have this bike with two wheelsets: one dirt, one road, and completely ditch my road bike. My Ibis road bike is currently living on a trainer in the garage anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these bikes building in the 15lb range with 1x on a full race setup and tubulars (looking at you, Don Myrah!) which is great news for weight weenies around the world. I'm just happy with how solid it feels, but was definitely impressed by how light it built up.

Build notes: Sourcing a t47 bb tool was annoying, as none of my local shops had even heard of it, including multiple Ibis dealers. The Wheels Manufacturing Torqtite tool works well, and is ~$25. And the cable routing for the 2x setup with the metal noodle was tough, it took me awhile to get it right.

Excited to see this bike combine road and cross into one sweet adventure machine.

Curmudgeon
    The Norco Search XR looks like a great option.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/road/adv...rch-xr-carbon/

Too Much Fun

Good job! Sweet build!

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Ready to ride @ 17.0 lbs (pedals, garmin mount, cages) with do-it-all maxxis re-fuse 32mm tires. It'll likely gain weight with WTB Riddler's.

Goal is to have this bike with two wheelsets: one dirt, one road, and completely ditch my road bike. My Ibis road bike is currently living on a trainer in the garage anyways.
    NICE ride. I'm doing the same; one 700c and one 27.5 set. Currently strictly on the 700's and loving them.

Need to weigh mine but I had the same reaction: light + solid feeling. Love it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does anybody knows if a Fox Float AX fork fits in the Hakka? Clearance between the frame and the knobs could be an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Asked about this. Apparently only fits on the 55cm, but it slacks it out too much.

edit: word

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody try a different fork on this yet? The clip on suggested by Ibis doesn't thrill me. I use a fender quite a bit on my Aluminum RLT. Otherwise, I like the bike.

Rodeo Labs Spork? Whiskey?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just ordered my Hakka supposed to be here late April early May. Has anyone put a frame bag on theirs yet? I'm looking to order a custom frame bag so it'll be here close to the time I get my bike and I'm not sure on the dimensions for the main triangle. I called Ibis and they said they didn't know. Go figure. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyUpright View Post
    Just ordered my Hakka supposed to be here late April early May. Has anyone put a frame bag on theirs yet? I'm looking to order a custom frame bag so it'll be here close to the time I get my bike and I'm not sure on the dimensions for the main triangle. I called Ibis and they said they didn't know. Go figure. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    I'm on a 53 and will measure things up later today. I have a mix of Orlieb and Blackburn, with the Blackburn frame bag.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    I'm on a 53 and will measure things up later today. I have a mix of Orlieb and Blackburn, with the Blackburn frame bag.
    Sorry, I meant to say I ordered a 55. Thanks that'll get me close.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyUpright View Post
    Sorry, I meant to say I ordered a 55. Thanks that'll get me close.
    This is a 55 frame... measurements are inside of triangle

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    This is a 55 frame... measurements are inside of triangle

Awesome thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is there anyone who has ridden both the Hakka and the Open? If so, thoughts would be appreciated

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Is there anyone who has ridden both the Hakka and the Open? If so, thoughts would be appreciated
    I pedaled around an Open UP (not the newer "UPPER") at the Levi's Fish Rock race. It felt pretty similar, but the overall build was heavier, which surprised me.

The 27.2 post did flex more, but I've got an RDO 31.6 on the hakka mx, and it's more than enough flex for me.

The Ibis is a threaded bb too. I would axe the Open purely based on the pressfit bb.

They're both great bikes, don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Looks like the Ibis would be cheaper though. That's all I have to offer from my gravel parking lot 5-min romp. HTH

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast