Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 301 to 329 of 329

Thread: Ibis Hakka MX

  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-AIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,586
    203 seems like a bit much for the Hakka. I'm not sure the 12mm axle and Enve fork could even handle all that torque.

    Maybe just a re bleed and fresh pads? Never tried the Force breaks.

    What about a 180 rotor?

    Before you do anything maybe check in with Ibis to see what max rotor size they recommend.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    So...Iím a big guy (250 lbs) and I ride this thing more like a mountain bike than a road bike. I need a bigger brake up front. All my MTN bikes have Shimano brakes, and all my road bikes have Campagnolo. The Hakka has Force 1. I donít know anything about Sram brakes.

    Will this adapter be the one I need to get a 203mm rotor on the front of the Hakka?

    https://www.jensonusa.com/SramAvid-D...IaApXXEALw_wcB


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #302
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    So...Iím a big guy (250 lbs) and I ride this thing more like a mountain bike than a road bike. I need a bigger brake up front. All my MTN bikes have Shimano brakes, and all my road bikes have Campagnolo. The Hakka has Force 1. I donít know anything about Sram brakes.

    Will this adapter be the one I need to get a 203mm rotor on the front of the Hakka?

    https://www.jensonusa.com/SramAvid-D...IaApXXEALw_wcB


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a little less than you, but still over 2-bills. 160/140 is working really well for me.

    What pads are you using? I don't think the enve fork can handle a 203mm. You should contact ibis.

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    83
    The rear brake is working fine, but the front brake makes ALL SORTS of noise and doesn't work well. I'm just using whatever the Force 1 build came with...I don't know a lot about Sram.

    I was just looking at the Ibis website, and it says 160mm max rotor. Based on that, what would you guys recommend to get more braking power? I can replace the pads and rotor, but these ones are pretty dang new...I've only put 219.5 miles on the bike (according to Strava, which should be super accurate).

    On my fully suspended trail and XC bikes I run Shimano brakes. I had issues with the brakes on Tallboy doing the same thing, so I bumped up to a 203mm rotor and Shimano Ice-Tech Resin pads and it's been glorious for years. I just swap the pads out when they're worn down (which is less frequently that every 219.5 miles).

    If anyone has any insight as to how I can get quieter and stronger braking performance that would be great. Ideally I'd keep the Force 1 setup as it's new, but I'm open to anything at this point...it's really obnoxious to hear and doesn't feel safe - not confidence inspiring at all.

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    The rear brake is working fine, but the front brake makes ALL SORTS of noise and doesn't work well. I'm just using whatever the Force 1 build came with...I don't know a lot about Sram.

    I was just looking at the Ibis website, and it says 160mm max rotor. Based on that, what would you guys recommend to get more braking power? I can replace the pads and rotor, but these ones are pretty dang new...I've only put 219.5 miles on the bike (according to Strava, which should be super accurate).

    On my fully suspended trail and XC bikes I run Shimano brakes. I had issues with the brakes on Tallboy doing the same thing, so I bumped up to a 203mm rotor and Shimano Ice-Tech Resin pads and it's been glorious for years. I just swap the pads out when they're worn down (which is less frequently that every 219.5 miles).

    If anyone has any insight as to how I can get quieter and stronger braking performance that would be great. Ideally I'd keep the Force 1 setup as it's new, but I'm open to anything at this point...it's really obnoxious to hear and doesn't feel safe - not confidence inspiring at all.
    I run Force1ó 160 front and rear. Few thousand miles between 2 sets. If youíre getting lots of noise, Iíd be inclined to say your pads and/or rotors got contaminated. Mine are generally silent. The only time they got noisy was after a long trip on the back of my car. Fresh pads and cleaned rotors and all was well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrvrtg7 View Post
    I run Force1ó 160 front and rear. Few thousand miles between 2 sets. If youíre getting lots of noise, Iíd be inclined to say your pads and/or rotors got contaminated. Mine are generally silent. The only time they got noisy was after a long trip on the back of my car. Fresh pads and cleaned rotors and all was well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah - I keep my bikes in a clean/controlled environment and they haven't really had the opportunity to get contaminated. I'll put it all apart and clean them well.

    Does Sram (or someone else) make something similar to the Shimano "Ice Tech" that fit the existing calipers but run much cooler/more stopping power?

  6. #306
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,120
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrvrtg7 View Post
    I run Force1ó 160 front and rear. Few thousand miles between 2 sets. If youíre getting lots of noise, Iíd be inclined to say your pads and/or rotors got contaminated. Mine are generally silent. The only time they got noisy was after a long trip on the back of my car. Fresh pads and cleaned rotors and all was well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm going to echo this take.

    I think you maybe got stans or something on your pads or rotor. I'm on sram hydro and don't have those issues. I've got about a thousand miles on the bike.

    I think sram ships with organic pads, maybe try a semi-metallic pad? I'd still contact ibis and ask for clarification.

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post

    Will this adapter be the one I need to get a 203mm rotor on the front of the Hakka?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From the Enve Specs:
    PRODUCT SPECS
    Material Carbon Fiber
    Steer Tube Length 350mm
    Rake 47mm
    Axle to Crown 395mm
    Brake Disc
    Axle Compatibility 12mm
    Max Rotor Size 160mm
    Max Tire Clearance 45mm
    Crown Race Diameter 1.5

    I'd switch to an Ice-Tech Shimano rotor. They don't heat up as much, so they brake better.

    https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...UaAorHEALw_wcB

    H

  8. #308
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,312
    The new ENVE gravel fork looks like a great option for the Hakka. I wonder if this will replace the CX fork on the Ibis builds when it starts shipping?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    137
    @budgie Saw they were going to do a rolling part change to the new fork according to a comment on Instagram.

  10. #310
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    @budgie Saw they were going to do a rolling part change to the new fork according to a comment on Instagram.
    Awesome! Time to start saving the shekels...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    137
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BpaOD7Eh...-by=ibiscycles

    Comments are buried in here, for reference

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    282
    Got my Hakka from the shop yesterday, Force Build in Black. Using it as a touring/all arounder bike, so needed to install a rack. Was thinking I would use the fender mounts for the rack, but found out my Old Man Mountain Rack fits with some modifications. Will post pics soon.

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BpaOD7Eh...-by=ibiscycles

    Comments are buried in here, for reference
    Here's what I got in an email from Ibis last month:

    "Apparently we do have the new forks on order, and we are not doing pre-orders for the bikes equipped with them. I suspect we won't get them until after the first of the year. Probably best to check back in mid December for an update. "


    IbisCyclesLogo Ibis Customer Service
    Ibis Cycles
    2240 Delaware Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    tel: (831) 461-1435

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    282
    Got my Old Man Mountain Rack installed. I had to modify it a bit, but fortunately it just bolted through the thru axle, I didn't need to use the rack/fender mount adapters. I did use the hand job of course!

    My feet did not hit the panniers when riding, which is a bonus.

    Ready to shred, tour & commute!

    Ibis Hakka MX-img_1399.jpgIbis Hakka MX-img_1401.jpgIbis Hakka MX-img_1402.jpgIbis Hakka MX-img_1403.jpg

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,120
    Building up one here myself.
    I was told due to ship 11/15.
    Black 58, frame/fork only.

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    282
    So Iíve got about 100 miles on the Hakka so far. 4 or 5 10 mile commutes in town, some gravel road, and some full on singletrack.

    It absolutely floats over the rough stuff, some credit goes to the awesome schwalbe tires, but most go to the frame. Just like my old canti braked Hakkalugi from 2010, this think is soooo smooth. But still fast.

    Iím seeing a very nice relationship for a long time.

    The Force 1 group has been good, even with the 160mm rotor brakes and my 220lbs thevíve been really nice.

    Iím running the Stanís Grail/Ibis hubs. Iím NOT doing tubeless, as I donít like it much for general riding, too much maintenance here in dry Colorado. Sealant will dry out in as little as 4 weeks in mid summer. If I do some longer trail rides, I may go tubeless for a bit, but my guess as the first time I flat Iíd just leave the tube in anyway. I run tubeless on my mountain bikes exclusively, but generally not a fan for Road or Cross.

    That said the Stanís Grail wheels are really nice. Smooth riding yet responsive.

    And of course, Iím loving the rear rack, I may be the last one, but Iím a huge fan of racks on all my bikes except my performance mountain bike.

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    46
    Pic request of a Hakka set up for someone with a 29 or 30 inch inseam with a long torso in the 5í6 - 5í8 range.

    Iím on the fence with sizing and spent all day yesterday trying to demo a size 53cm in the DFW area with no luck.

    Iím currently on a size 54cm Cannondale Synapse.

    Thx
    Last edited by Gios78; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added info

  18. #318
    mtbr member
    Reputation: islander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    812
    any word on a v2 Hakka Mx w/3rd bottle cage mount or fork mounts being release in 2019?

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    any word on a v2 Hakka Mx w/3rd bottle cage mount or fork mounts being release in 2019?
    Somewhere in the blogosphere...maybe the Radavist's coverage of the Chris King bike show... I saw bikes with a new Enve fork, and also comments from Ibis that they would transition to that. I believe the fork has more clearance, and fender mounts, but I don't believe it has any rack mounts. Take with a grain of salt....

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Somewhere in the blogosphere...maybe the Radavist's coverage of the Chris King bike show... I saw bikes with a new Enve fork, and also comments from Ibis that they would transition to that. I believe the fork has more clearance, and fender mounts, but I don't believe it has any rack mounts. Take with a grain of salt....
    The only update I'd expect:
    https://www.enve.com/en/products/g-series-gravel-fork/


    That is, until road eagle (?)

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,083
    I've got quite a lot of parts laying around that I want to find a home for. Enter Ibis Hakka MX.
    Wheels and hubs are sorted.
    I have a SRAM XX1 Q156 crank that a I will fit a S900 crank arm spider to and then I can run a 38T, 40T or 42T or up to 48T chainring with.

    What I need to know is which CVK bb adaptor kit i need (lookslike a #9 with a 2.5mm spacer fitted either side.

    Has anyone done this? Fitted a SRAM GXP MTB crank to the HAKKA MX?

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    45
    Your brakes are dirty. For some reason SRAM brakes collect more dust than Shimano. I know that doesnít seem to make sense but across all my bikes the rule fairs true. My Hakka has Force 160/140 and Iím 205 and itís only noisy after a bike wash when theyíre still a bit wet.

    Try changing your pads and rotors if theyíre bad. Also, do a proper brake in for the pads. Ride 10mph, slowly brake but not to a full stop. Repeat a dozen times. Really make sure you set in the pads. This is something people do once or twice and quit.

    Try cleaning your rotors with alcohol if you donít want to replace. You can also sand down the rotors and brake pads carefully to make sure small rocks havenít embedded into either. Thatís a very common thing. Plenty of YouTube videos out there showing you how to sand and what grit to use. I believe the GCN or Park Tool channels have videos.

    Iíve taken my Hakka through all the nasty stuff from mud to snow with no noise surprisingly. Only when itís raining or after a wash when wet do they squeal. Iíll use a hair dryer after I alcohol them after the wash to make sure everything is dry. No more squeal. Good luck.

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15
    So what is the consensus. Buy now or wait until a later iteration?

    I am toying with the idea of upgrading my older Voodoo Loa Ti cross bike. The Voodoo has 71.5* HA with 74* SA and clearance for 48s. But its drawbacks are cantis and a 1" steer tube.

    But the Hakka MX is so pretty. Ugh. Someone help me make up my mind.

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bizango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by fargy483 View Post
    So what is the consensus. Buy now or wait until a later iteration?

    I am toying with the idea of upgrading my older Voodoo Loa Ti cross bike. The Voodoo has 71.5* HA with 74* SA and clearance for 48s. But its drawbacks are cantis and a 1" steer tube.

    But the Hakka MX is so pretty. Ugh. Someone help me make up my mind.
    I once had a VooDoo Limba scandium 'cross bike which I felt was way better than the Redline I had before it. The VooDoo was replaced by a Ridley, which was replaced by a Foundry Auger, which was replaced by a Felt F1X. Every time I felt the new bike was WAY better than the old one, and, they were. I never regretted upgrading, so I'm giving you a nudge over the edge...you won't regret it. The Hakka checks most all of the boxes for a bike in this category. Granted, I don't have one (yet), but I want one.

  25. #325
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by fargy483 View Post
    So what is the consensus. Buy now or wait until a later iteration?

    I am toying with the idea of upgrading my older Voodoo Loa Ti cross bike. The Voodoo has 71.5* HA with 74* SA and clearance for 48s. But its drawbacks are cantis and a 1" steer tube.

    But the Hakka MX is so pretty. Ugh. Someone help me make up my mind.
    It's a pretty new and up to the minute design. What would you be waiting for in a future iteration? That could be a long wait. I would make sure they were shipping with the new Enve fork, then go for it!

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by fargy483 View Post
    So what is the consensus. Buy now or wait until a later iteration?

    I am toying with the idea of upgrading my older Voodoo Loa Ti cross bike. The Voodoo has 71.5* HA with 74* SA and clearance for 48s. But its drawbacks are cantis and a 1" steer tube.

    But the Hakka MX is so pretty. Ugh. Someone help me make up my mind.
    I test rode an Open Upper, SC Stigmata, and the Hakka. Before I settled on buying the Hakka I was using a 2018 Cannondale Synapse with 32s as my gravel bike.

    To be honest if the Synapse could fit 40s and 650b x 47 I would of not have been looking for another bike. I could not tell much of a difference between the 3 I tested. They all felt much stiffer and like I was riding on top of the bike rather than in the bike. I did not get a chance to test the bikes out with 650b.

    I ended up with the Hakka because it looked the best to me. Ended up going with a competitive cyclist custom build with Di2 and Reynolds carbon ATR 700c wheels. Once the weather gets better I will get a set of 650b and the supplest tires I can find and leave it alone as far as upgrades. Itís a really stiff ride with GK SKs even at the normal 40psi I use for pavement and gravel. I honestly consider this more of a CX bike due to the lack of compliance.

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    It's a pretty new and up to the minute design. What would you be waiting for in a future iteration? That could be a long wait. I would make sure they were shipping with the new Enve fork, then go for it!
    For sure the fork. I don't think there is anything else it would need. It looks pretty spot on and well thought.

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gios78 View Post
    I test rode an Open Upper, SC Stigmata, and the Hakka. Before I settled on buying the Hakka I was using a 2018 Cannondale Synapse with 32s as my gravel bike.

    To be honest if the Synapse could fit 40s and 650b x 47 I would of not have been looking for another bike. I could not tell much of a difference between the 3 I tested. They all felt much stiffer and like I was riding on top of the bike rather than in the bike. I did not get a chance to test the bikes out with 650b.

    I ended up with the Hakka because it looked the best to me. Ended up going with a competitive cyclist custom build with Di2 and Reynolds carbon ATR 700c wheels. Once the weather gets better I will get a set of 650b and the supplest tires I can find and leave it alone as far as upgrades. Itís a really stiff ride with GK SKs even at the normal 40psi I use for pavement and gravel. I honestly consider this more of a CX bike due to the lack of compliance.
    I appreciate your input. I thought about a Stigmata due to the warranty. I've had my Voodoo for 12+ years so longevity is an important consideration

    The other ride I am considering is this Voodoo Juju. It is ti and clearance for 45s: https://www.voodoocycles.com/juju

    But I think Ibis has solid R&D program and an outstanding customer service. Further I have a HD3 which is so full of stoke!

    My rides will include fire road, double track and single track (Xc-ish single track not Enduro), and lots of climbing. I'd also do an occasional nice, long road ride with my GF. All that considered, I am leaning towards a 2x set up.

    Thanks again for the inputs.
    Last edited by fargy483; 5 Days Ago at 04:21 PM. Reason: adding content

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6
    [QUOTE=Gios78;13888980]Pic request of a Hakka set up for someone with a 29 or 30 inch inseam with a long torso in the 5í6 - 5í8 range.

    Iím on the fence with sizing and spent all day yesterday trying to demo a size 53cm in the DFW area with no luck.

    Gios78. . . I am 5í7Ē with a 29Ē inseam. I canít believe ibis has no 51cm frame. I have ridden a 51cm Cervelo P3 and S3 for years, and it is the perfect size for me. If you are the same size, with the same inseam as me I donít know how you fit on a 54cm bike.

    What size did you go with on the Hakka? I am in the DFW area, and it looks like Mad Duck is the only Ibis distributor in the area, according to their website. Is that where you test-rode one?

    Iím in the market to for a gravel bik and am looking between the Canyon Grail and the Hakka. Would love to test one.

    Thanks for the info.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Hakka MX - a couple questions?
    By tlechnow in forum Ibis
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-30-2018, 08:00 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM
  4. Ibis Hakka w/Sexy Model(s), NSFW
    By budgie in forum Ibis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 08:03 AM
  5. Stan's rims & studded Nokian Hakka 300 - anyone using
    By rshalit in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 348

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.