Ibis Hakka MX - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ibis Hakka MX

mtbr member
    The shop sold you both the rack and the bike, Iíd try to work with them to send the bike to Ibis and get it repaired.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ibis Hakka MX

Iím super pumped on my new Hakka MX, I picked it up from Pro Bike Supply. It was the show bike in 2018 and way too nice of a bike for me but Iíll ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieFly View Post
    I am 5í8Ē with 30Ē inseam and am riding the 53 with 100 mm stem and 175 cranks. It fits me perfect but I could not go smaller. I came from a 54 Specialized Diverge, which fit really well. Not sure how much post is showing but seems normal.
    Are you riding this with 700c or 275 wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Nice!

SWEET! I saw that one online and it looked amazing... just out of my price range. But for the money, you got A LOT of bike. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    Iím super pumped on my new Hakka MX, I picked it up from Pro Bike Supply. It was the show bike in 2018 and way too nice of a bike for me but Iíll ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They do have their own carbon lab so they know what they're doing. I would take them up on their warranty repair offer without a doubt. You're in good hands with them vs just super gluing things back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. Apparently the bike shop owner and I, together, made an incorrect assumption.

It sounds like their offer to repair it under warranty is a fair one. Hereís the next question...would you go through the effort to have it repaired by them or would you just super glue it in there and move on?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    They do have their own carbon lab so they know what they're doing. I would take them up on their warranty repair offer without a doubt. You're in good hands with them vs just super gluing things back together.
    Yeah, Iím going to do that. I just hate having a new $5,000 bike thatís got an obvious repair (they donít have the ability to paint it in house).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hear ya man but they do sell touch up paint for that color. Add so dirt to the mix and you won't ever notice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

My Ibis Hakka MX

Right before Belgian Waffle Ride 2019, 53 cm Spinergy GXC carbon gravel wheels, IRC Boken 36 tires, Absolute Black 42 tooth oval ring

Ibis Hakka MX-gravel-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It looks great, I love the green.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thinking hard about this one. Who here as replaced their road bike with the Hakka MX? Thinking about ditching my Cervelo R3 for one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have. I sold my Tarmac and built a Hakka. I use it for all road and gravel now. I added IBIS carbon wheels and itís the most comfortable drop bar bike Iíve owned. More comfortable on the road than any ďroadĒ bike Iíve owned. Not as fast as my Tarmac was but Iíll take comfort and my 700x40c tires ability to go over any terrain every day of the week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostmanifesto View Post
    I have. I sold my Tarmac and built a Hakka. I use it for all road and gravel now. I added IBIS carbon wheels and itís the most comfortable drop bar bike Iíve owned. More comfortable on the road than any ďroadĒ bike Iíve owned. Not as fast as my Tarmac was but Iíll take comfort and my 700x40c tires ability to go over any terrain every day of the week.
    I still have my S-Works Tarmac because I love it and on the rare occasion I go on a spirited group road ride I can hang on it. It rarely gets ridden though...I mostly ride the Hakka with carbon 27.5Ē wheels and 2.1 tires. Itís about 15-18% slower than my Tarmac with similar effort and spins out around 29-30 MPH (due to the 40T front ring) vs upper 30ís with the 53x11 on the Tarmac.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I agree with the speed and efficiency. The Hakka is no Tarmac. But, if I toss some 32c tires on I can hop on to group road rides and stay within the group. I spin out though with the single chainring if it gets crazy. I just try to catch up on the climbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostmanifesto View Post
    I agree with the speed and efficiency. The Hakka is no Tarmac. But, if I toss some 32c tires on I can hop on to group road rides and stay within the group. I spin out though with the single chainring if it gets crazy. I just try to catch up on the climbs
    Yeah...Iím keeping my eye out for an opportunity to grab some 700c wheels. I love riding the Hakka and just being able to go ANYWHERE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I've replaced my S5 with the Hakka MX. I actually do have two wheelsets (both 650b and 29er/700c), and that solution really works well for me. I'm running a Shimano 1x drivetrain, plus XD drivers with 10-42 cassettes, and a 42T oval chainring. With that setup, on 32c tires, I can keep with all but the very feistiest group rides around here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bremmick View Post
    Thinking hard about this one. Who here as replaced their road bike with the Hakka MX? Thinking about ditching my Cervelo R3 for one.
    I have. Do it right with two wheelsets and it'll blow your mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Haven't ditched the road bikes yet but the Hakka definitely gets ridden more, even when the ride is all road riding...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Oh, and Ibis just released the Hakka in white too...

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakka_mx/

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Same here. Two wheelsets and a fun selection of tires and you are going to be stoked. The range of tires we've got on the market today is amazing, and a bike like the HakkaMX really takes advantage of it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I run 2 when et lets on my h as hakka. like the 700c with 42mm tires the most fun. it really is a special bike and the pricing isn't too bad either.

mtbr member
    I put my order in for a Rival 650b Hakka on April 12th, was told it would ship in two weeks..then was told May 10th. Bike shop called Ibis today was told they'd ship sometime next week...anyone else been waiting? Seems there might be a hold up on wheels, or parts.

pap
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I will be selling my R3. Have had the hakka with 650b and 2.1 tires for a few weeks. Just had 700 wheels built up with 32c tires for my road rides. The hakka is very well rounded for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    I will be selling my R3. Have had the hakka with 650b and 2.1 tires for a few weeks. Just had 700 wheels built up with 32c tires for my road rides. The hakka is very well rounded for me.

Iíd love to hear more about that also. Tempted to replace my R3SL with a Hakka and would love to hear your thoughts both on road and gravel rides

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I am thinking of getting the Hakka with 2 sets of wheels as well.
    For those who do have the hakka with 2 wheelsets, my question is how much of a hassle to swap wheels? DO you have to adjust rear derailleur and disc brake calipers?
    Also if your road wheels have a smaller cassette do you also have to swap your chain as well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahn View Post
    For those who do have the hakka with 2 wheelsets, my question is how much of a hassle to swap wheels? DO you have to adjust rear derailleur and disc brake calipers?
    Also if your road wheels have a smaller cassette do you also have to swap your chain as well?
    -same cassette (sram red 11/32)
    -the hubs are different (DT vs Inudstry 9), but the rear d hasn't needed adjustment.
    -quick align of the calipers.

Really helps to have both sets ready to go. Setup tubeless w/ tires, rotors, cassette. Swap takes just a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thinking of switching to WTB resolutes (700x42), anyone test fit them? Running Riddler 45's with no problems (except rub when pulling the wheel out)

Edit: Ordered. Will provide update on fit.
    Last edited by gondezee; 05-15-2019 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    So, just to confirm. The Hakka MX does not have fear rack mounts? I have a rack that requires rear eyelets, and it sounds like the eyelets on the Hakka are just for fenders. Why do adventure/gravel bikes come without rack mounts? Am I the last one who prefers a rack?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hakka is more a Cross bike that does Gravel, can do adventure. 1000g frame means you're gonna limit the number of reinforcements/boss mounts to keep it competitive for skin suit wearers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EVNine View Post
    So, just to confirm. The Hakka MX does not have fear rack mounts? I have a rack that requires rear eyelets, and it sounds like the eyelets on the Hakka are just for fenders. Why do adventure/gravel bikes come without rack mounts? Am I the last one who prefers a rack?
    I learned the hard way the eyelets arenít designed for racks. Donít do it.

pap
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane_CA View Post
    Iíd love to hear more about that also. Tempted to replace my R3SL with a Hakka and would love to hear your thoughts both on road and gravel rides
    The Hakka is really well mannered on the road. Not as nimble as the R3 but still very quick. I built up a set of road wheels with 32c tires which makes for a plush ride. The only thing I miss is speed greater than 25-30mph. The gearing is maxed out.

I did exactly this. I had a set of road wheels built and I just rebuilt the dedicated gravel/dirt wheels with the same hub, rotor, and cassette gearing. No fuss at all when switching out the wheels. I think its critical to match the hubs in order to get the proper rotor alignment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Hakka MX-img_20190518_115939.jpg  

Ibis Hakka MX-img_20190518_120651.jpg  

Ibis Hakka MX-img_20190518_120005.jpg  

Last edited by pap; 05-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I am really close to adding the hakka to my ibis stable. Couple of questions first- has anyone compared the ride to the hakkalugi disc, which i used to have, and is it as gravel ready as something like a warbird that has a slightly longer wheelbase?

I rode the hakkalugi disc in a couple gravel races and it wasnít super comfortable, but it was quick, although i was running 38ís on there and it was a rough rocky race. The geometry of the new one looks only slightly different. The geometry of the hakka looks better than an OPEN UP and they are well acclaimed for long gravel races. If the new hakka mx is more comfortable that would be a big plus.

The warbird is my backup, or Giant revolt. I ride some road as well, which the ibis should be better at, but I plan on some bikepacking and want the best all around bike that is comfortable for my beat up body. I would get both wheel sizes for the Hakka. Thanks in advance for any replies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone running Rival 1 have issues with the chain making noise under load. The noise is similar to sounding dry. RD is adjusted per the specs including b tension. The chain is new and is a PC 1170 and not the OEM PC 1130. Maybe that is the issue? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Rival noise

Rival and Force x1 are noisier than 2x if thats what you are used to. If the drivetrain is new it will take 15-20 hours of ride time for the chain/ cogs to ďmeshĒ and it will get quieter. My Force x1 is still noisy in the first sprocket due to the extreme chain-line. It the trade off for the other 1x benifits.
    Last edited by Yerma; 05-20-2019 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I owned a lugi disc for a few years and now have a mx. I never liked the lugi for mixed rides. The geometry slowed the steering down too much when on road sections or at speed on gravel. The mx is a different bike. Quicker handling but not squirrelly. As designed it really shines on rough gravel with the 27.5ís.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Xxx
    Last edited by Yerma; 05-20-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yerma View Post
    Rival and Force x1 are noisier than 2x if thats what you are used to. If the drivetrain is new it will take 15-20 hours of ride time for the chain/ cogs to ďmeshĒ and it will get quieter. My Force x1 is still noisy in the first sprocket due to the extreme chain-line. It the trade off for the other 1x benifits.
    This makes noise in all gears under load (climbing). Praxis website states they recommend Campy, Shimano and KMC chains. May need to try one to compare.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Update: Resolute's do fit. Seem to roll better than the Riddlers, but are a bit more nervous cornering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So i am getting ready to pull the trigger on a current CX/Gravel/Monstercross/DoAll

My current ride is a 1998 Voodoo Loa (ti). It clears 47c tires but no disk brakes.

Im debating between a new Hakka or a well loved Rove ti.

Anyone shed some light on how the Rove would compare to the Hakka?

mtbr member

Bone

So after 2 months of waiting, I picked up my Hakka on Sunday and am pretty stoked. Haven't had a chance to take it out for more than a couple trips around the hood, but am liking it so far. I ended up with carbon cranks on a a rival build with aluminum wheels. Shop scale showed 18.5lbs. The bone white is more of a light sand/tan color to my eyes, and I like better than I thought I would.

Ibis Hakka MX-img_3648.jpgIbis Hakka MX-img_3649.jpgIbis Hakka MX-img_3647.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi guys.

Just got a white Hakka in size 58. Currently considering frame bags, has anyone put frame bags into a bike of this size? I want the biggest partial bag I can get, but I am in doubt how well the bags will work if I order a frame bag that specifies a length almost longer than the ~49cm I measured inside the triangle. When a bag says it has a length of 50cm, such as an Ortlieb, I am sceptical about ordering it for the frame.

Budget wise I thought I should get an off the shelf bag instead of ordering something custom from Rogue Panda or similar. Purchasing a Hakka already blew my budget away

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by perbl View Post
    Hi guys.

Just got a white Hakka in size 58. Currently considering frame bags, has anyone put frame bags into a bike of this size? I want the biggest partial bag I can get, but I am in doubt how well the bags will work if I order a frame bag that specifies a length almost longer than the ~49cm I measured inside the triangle. When a bag says it has a length of 50cm, such as an Ortlieb, I am sceptical about ordering it for the frame.

Budget wise I thought I should get an off the shelf bag instead of ordering something custom from Rogue Panda or similar. Purchasing a Hakka already blew my budget away
    I tried a couple of off the shelf options first on my size 55. A Revelate Tangle, and a Blackburn. Ultimately, the ďalmost fitsĒ look and sub-optimal mounting strap placements got to me. I have a Rogue Panda now. Very happy with it. Personally, I feel it worth the investment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Definitely not the answer my wallet wanted to hear

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by perbl View Post
    Definitely not the answer my wallet wanted to hear
    Totally get it. For the cost of the Revelate and Blackburn I purchased and ultimately couldnít get along with, I couldíve just bought the Rogue Panda that I eventually bought. Basically spent twice what I would have.

mtbr member
    Hey Redmr, I'm thinking about doing this, curious what wheels you're running? Thinking about a 650 x 45 gravel and 700 x 28/32 road setup... Seems like going with a 2X drivetrain would make more sense?

edit: oh wait, Hakka is 1X only...
    Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo | RLT Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    Hey Redmr, I'm thinking about doing this, curious what wheels you're running? Thinking about a 650 x 45 gravel and 700 x 28/32 road setup... Seems like going with a 2X drivetrain would make more sense?

You can run a double on the Hakka. I have a friend doing it.

mtbr member

I'm a cx double (46/36). I'd think a compact double (50/34) would be even more perfect. Looking at AXS, I think the 1x combos can get pretty close.

I've bounced around with a ton of different tires recently. Currently on Gravelking 38s (measures 41.6) for dirt and conti gp5000TL 28's for the road set. I've got a love affair with riddler 37's, it's my favorite tire, but I do ride alot of mountain bike trails and the extra cush of the GK's help. Riddler 45's are overkill...they should make a Riddler 40/42!

I've got a few thousand miles on the bike, it's so dialed. I friggin love this bike.

Too Much Fun

Good job!

I've got a love affair with riddler 37's, it's my favorite tire, but I do ride alot of mountain bike trails and the extra cush of the GK's help. Riddler 45's are overkill...they should make a Riddler 40/42!
    I've been on the Riddler 45's for a while and like the extra cush on all the singletrack riding I've been doing on the MX, but you're totally right; they need a 40ish size in there. I'd probably leave that on the bike forever.

I've got a few thousand miles on the bike, it's so dialed. I friggin love this bike.
    TRUTH. The MX is now my go-to bike for anything that's not a proper trail ride. It makes me happy every ride.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I have this exact two wheelset set up: 700c Specialized Roubaix 30 & WTB Byway 47 on 650b. I run 48/36 Ultegra but if I had to do it again I'g go with a Praxis or new Shimano GRX 46/31. When you pack the bike out, I find 36 x 34 is still a little stout to spin for my wee quads. On the flip side, I've never spun out on 48t cog or cared if I did.

Other than that, routing the FD cable was a super PIA. You need Yoda force cable bending abilities. Patience you must have. Di2 or AXS would certainly eliminate this issue.

Cheers, it's an amazing bike for 6 or 600 miles.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alright...this might be loaded given the thread itís in, but here goes...

Newly released Stigmata or the Hakka MX?

mtbr member
    The sizing is a bit different and the Stigmata hits the sweet spot for me (don't own one, but I am constantly on the look out for a replacement for my aging Foundry Auger). I'm in between sizes on the Hakka, but otherwise it would be my choice. I wish the Stigmata had different color options though.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    The Stigmata and the Hakka MX were my final candidates and I eventually put down a deposit for a Hakka frame set partly because of the rave reviews here and the better color choices. I did try both of them but only in the dealer's parking lot so I don't think my opinion there can count.
    Here are a few things I learnt about these bikes but don't see mention anywhere.
    - The Stigmata frame set is more expensive but Santa Cruz has life time warranty vs Ibis 7 year warranty.
    - I think the Stigmata frame set is about 120/130g heavier than the Hakka MX
    - The following point could be a deal breaker for those who intend to run 2X sub compact on these bikes.
    I emailed Chuck at Ibis about running a 2X sub compact crankset like 48/32. Chuck said it's not good on the Hakka because the chain might hit the underside of the chain stay. Now remember on both of these bikes the right chain stay has a bent which goes below the bottom bracket. However when I asked the local Santa Cruz dealer the same question, the tech there said he checked with Santa Cruz and they said it should be OK. I don't know if the tech really checked or not though.
    One thing I do know though, some of bikes with the same design (right chain stay goes below bottom bracket) do work with sub compact crankset (48/32).
    Here is the list of which bike can and cannot (that I checked)
    - 3T Explorer, new OPEN UP, IBIS Hakka MX can only go as small as 50/34
    - Norco Search XR carbon, Giant Revolt, Salsa Warbird, Santa Cruz Stigmata can at least go as small as 48/32

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Alright...this might be loaded given the thread itís in, but here goes...

Newly released Stigmata or the Hakka MX?
    Some bikes don't fit some people.

Both employ folks in a tough area of the country to live financially (Santa Cruz, CA) which is admirable. However, Ibis is a small company with incredible customer service. And Santa Cruz is now owned by Pons Holdings. Maybe this matters to some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If the new Stigmata was available when I was buying I would have gone with it. You can read my comparison with the previous gen Stiggy to the MX a few months ago in this forum. Unless the construction and fit/finish has changed it's cleaner than the MX. The geometry, again unless changed is very close between both bikes. Since I would never need a dropper for the type of riding I do I would prefer the 27.2 seat post to add a bit of flex. The MX is a stiff bike.
    Colors arenít an issue but practically the flat black of my MX will look better in the long run. Gloss paint and mud/gravel don't mix.

mtbr member
    Just got my Hakka with upgraded carbon crank and it was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagonwheeler View Post
    Just got my Hakka with upgraded carbon crank and it was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    That would make me nervous. With what I ride the Hakka on and how low the BB is I get more contact at the end of the crank arms than Iíd like to.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If the new Stigmata was available when I was buying I would have gone with it. You can read my comparison with the previous gen Stiggy to the MX a few months ago in this forum. Unless the construction and fit/finish has changed it's cleaner than the MX. The geometry, again unless changed is very close between both bikes. Since I would never need a dropper for the type of riding I do I would prefer the 27.2 seat post to add a bit of flex. The MX is a stiff bike.
    Colors arenít an issue but practically the flat black of my MX will look better in the long run. Gloss paint and mud/gravel don't mix.
    What do you mean by fit/finish not as good on the Ibis?

Also, when mentioning stiff, I'm assuming this in reference to the Stigmata....but how does it compare to other bikes you've ridden?

Minor note, was in the shop the other day, they had two special orders that came in:
    2020 Stigmata - Green - Rival Build - 700c wheels & 40's - size 52 - 19.15 lbs
    Ibis Hakka MX - Black - Rival Build - 650B wheels & 2.1's - size 55 - 18.85 lbs.

That weight difference felt far greater under a hand test. I would have put it at a pound and a half on my guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Pulled trigger today and ordered a Coal Hakka w/ the Ibis 650b plastic hoops. Wanting to add some matchy flare w/ different bar tape. Anyone out there with a Coal Hakka tell me if the trim / Ibis decals are silver, gray, white, or a mix? Open to bar tape suggestions and/or pics if willing to share. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnobbyFischer View Post
    Pulled trigger today and ordered a Coal Hakka w/ the Ibis 650b plastic hoops. Wanting to add some matchy flare w/ different bar tape. Anyone out there with a Coal Hakka tell me if the trim / Ibis decals are silver, gray, white, or a mix? Open to bar tape suggestions and/or pics if willing to share. Cheers!
    Bad ass! Well done. I think there is some white/gray accents, but I recommend checking out Supacaz tape. I run it on my groadie. Really awesome feel, tons of cool color/design options. Plus Sagan does it...

https://supacaz.com/category/bar-tape/

mtbr member
    Deleted. Double post.
    Last edited by VooDooBokor; 07-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrvrtg7 View Post
    Totally get it. For the cost of the Revelate and Blackburn I purchased and ultimately couldnít get along with, I couldíve just bought the Rogue Panda that I eventually bought. Basically spent twice what I would have.
    I got a really good deal on a medium Blackburn bag, so I ended up with that bag for now. Might pull the trigger on a Rogue Panda eventually, but so far pretty happy with the Blackburn, even if it does not fill the whole triangle.

I discovered I have little room for a big Ortlieb or Apidura with a limited amount of seat post exposed, so I shelled out more money than the Rogue Panda on a seat bag from Arkel. That killed a Rogue panda order at this stage.

Washed down the frame with alcohol and applied some helicopter tape to prevent rub from straps yesterday, and this is how it looks loaded up with all the bags I have at the moment. A Hilleberg Niak tent in the front along with cooking equipment, sleeping bag and mat in the seat bag, as well as some stash thrown into the other bags for testing purposes. Added a Fabrik bottle today, so I can squeeze a bottle underneath the bag on the down tube. Will probably replace the seat tube bottle with a similar one:

pap
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The decals are gray and white. I followed that theme with lizard skin dsp 3.2 tape in white and gray camo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thatís sharp. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    To those of you who own this bike, how plush is the ride on the Hakka? I have a wrecked back and want a forgiving bike for long road/gravel rides. I was riding MTB in the 90s and Ibis is one of the classic bike makers I've always admired, so I've been scoping out the Hakka.

mtbr member
    Never ridden one but also loyal to Ibis. Mount her up with 650bís and the new PNW Coast dropper/suspension post and sheíll be super plush Iím sure!

The coming soon Niner MCR would certainly fit the bill too...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 650b wheels and 1.9 tires with low pressure make for a nice ride on gravel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Never ridden one but also loyal to Ibis. Mount her up with 650bís and the new PNW Coast dropper/suspension post and sheíll be super plush Iím sure!

The coming soon Niner MCR would certainly fit the bill too...
    The 650b wheels and 1.9 tires with low pressure make for a nice ride on gravel.
    Thanks! My LBS carries Ibis, Salsa, and Specialized. I'm trying to wrangle demos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    VooDooBoko: you have any experience w/ that PNW Coast post. After researching, Iím intrigued.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. drivetrain creaks

My one-year-old-ish Hakka MX has developed a super-annoying drivetrain creak, and I wonder if any other owners have had a similar issue that they've solved. It's definitely drivetrain, definitely not seatpost or handlebars or pedals. It changes up from time to time, but the weird thing is that it's usually every-so-many pedal strokes - like every 6th, or every 3rd, and then lasts for a certain number of pedal strokes, then quiet until the next 3rd or 6th or whatever. Depends a bit on the specific gear, and is much more noticeable when I'm putting down more power. I've pulled and regreased the cranks and the cassette to no avail. The freehub body did have some minor gouges in it from the cassette splines, but I've seen way worse. I checked the chain wear, and while it's probably getting close to due for replacement, it's not out of spec.

I did not pull the bottom bracket, although when I had the cranks off it looked to be in very good shape. I did not pull the freehub body off or do anything to the hub yet. Is that my next move? Should I be more concerned about the gouges in the freehub body? What would cause the creak to not be every crank revolution or every wheel revolution, but only every so many pedal strokes? Maybe the chain, which I might as well replace anyway?

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsean View Post
    My one-year-old-ish Hakka MX has developed a super-annoying drivetrain creak, and I wonder if any other owners have had a similar issue that they've solved. It's definitely drivetrain, definitely not seatpost or handlebars or pedals. It changes up from time to time, but the weird thing is that it's usually every-so-many pedal strokes - like every 6th, or every 3rd, and then lasts for a certain number of pedal strokes, then quiet until the next 3rd or 6th or whatever. Depends a bit on the specific gear, and is much more noticeable when I'm putting down more power. I've pulled and regreased the cranks and the cassette to no avail. The freehub body did have some minor gouges in it from the cassette splines, but I've seen way worse. I checked the chain wear, and while it's probably getting close to due for replacement, it's not out of spec.

I did not pull the bottom bracket, although when I had the cranks off it looked to be in very good shape. I did not pull the freehub body off or do anything to the hub yet. Is that my next move? Should I be more concerned about the gouges in the freehub body? What would cause the creak to not be every crank revolution or every wheel revolution, but only every so many pedal strokes? Maybe the chain, which I might as well replace anyway?

Thanks,
    Sean
    When this happens to me (exactly as you describe) a new coat of Muck Off typically cures it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nice looking frames/bikes!

Question: why do some have lovered seat stays and some don't. Just differences between sizes?

Question 2: How is the stiffness compared to the newer road frames like the Canyon ultimate and others. Anyone ridden both?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsean View Post

Thanks,
    Sean
    I just went through a similar experience and finally ending up re-greasing my bottom bracket threads and bearings. Both were a bit dry which cured it.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Glad to know mine isn't the only one doing this as well. Soft or hard peddling I get this noise.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonik View Post
    I just went through a similar experience and finally ending up re-greasing my bottom bracket threads and bearings. Both were a bit dry which cured it.
    Dang, I thought threaded BB's were supposed to stop the pressfit creaks! Ok, I guess I'll do the full tear down and try again.

-Sean

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Threaded BB is super easy to service here though. If running the Praxis cranks, grab their M30 BB tool. I got a year before it started making noise, cleaned and re-greased, been quiet since. Took half an hour not knowing what I was doing. Did cables (shimano sp41 and optislick inner) at the same time. Everything's happy now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Xxx
    Last edited by Yerma; 07-15-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Fit & finish. The Ibis isnít as clean around the cable ports, rougher edges on the carbon there. The paint on the Ibis is thin. The white looks like it was one shot and looks sort of gray because of this. Areas around the the hand job bolts are not clean- missing a bit of paint. The SC has a nicer paint finish Not color, not gloss vs mat , but the actual painting. Very clean around all ports and nice opaque paint. I just looked more expensive and higher quality than my Coal black MX.
    Stiffness. No, the Ibis rides with a bit more harshness than the SC. Same wheels, tires saddle bars & stem. Seatposts both carbon but different manufacturers and the diameters are different so this could be part of the reason.

What do you mean by fit/finish not as good on the Ibis?

Also, when mentioning stiff, I'm assuming this in reference to the Stigmata....but how does it compare to other bikes you've ridden?

Minor note, was in the shop the other day, they had two special orders that came in:
    2020 Stigmata - Green - Rival Build - 700c wheels & 40's - size 52 - 19.15 lbs
    Ibis Hakka MX - Black - Rival Build - 650B wheels & 2.1's - size 55 - 18.85 lbs.

That weight difference felt far greater under a hand test. I would have put it at a pound and a half on my guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I actually swapped out the stock Ibis aluminum seatpost on my Hakka for a Ritchey Pro flex logic one and felt an immediate improvement in comfort...

Fit & finish. The Ibis isnít as clean around the cable ports, rougher edges on the carbon there. The paint on the Ibis is thin. The white looks like it was one shot and looks sort of gray because of this. Areas around the the hand job bolts are not clean- missing a bit of paint. The SC has a nicer paint finish Not color, not gloss vs mat , but the actual painting. Very clean around all ports and nice opaque paint. I just looked more expensive and higher quality than my Coal black MX.
    Stiffness. No, the Ibis rides with a bit more harshness than the SC. Same wheels, tires saddle bars & stem. Seatposts both carbon but different manufacturers and the diameters are different so this could be part of the reason.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anybody have an idea what the flare is on the stock Ibis bars? Awaiting delivery on my bike still on trying to determine where they are at. Wanting some larger flare....think Salsa Cowchipper or Easton EC70 AX.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anybody have an idea what the flare is on the stock Ibis bars? Awaiting delivery on my bike still on trying to determine where they are at. Wanting some larger flare....think Salsa Cowchipper or Easton EC70 AX.
    Thereís none.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    anyone running the cowchippers or similar?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    anyone running the cowchippers or similar?
    Had the cowbells (small 8deg flare)... moved to EC70 AX. Really like the AX bar- extra flare really helped with maneuvering rough terrain in the drops, and overall just more comfortable to me. Never tried cowchippers.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Follow up to the creaky/clinking sounds....it was not the bottom bracket at all, it was the I9 freehub. Did a service on it and the bike is silent again. Noticed after the service the hub is not as loud as before. P.S. Damn this bike is fun!
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I learned the hard way the eyelets arenít designed for racks. Donít do it.

Did you see my set up? I used a Robert Axel Project axle and an Old Man Mountain Rack, works great together and all the load is on the axle not the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Talking with some of my connections....I could do either bike the Rival build for about equal money. For the money and same price, which do you choose? How do the overall builds compare?

mtbr member

KMC chain

Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    This makes noise in all gears under load (climbing). Praxis website states they recommend Campy, Shimano and KMC chains. May need to try one to compare.
    I had the same issue put on a KMC chain and it is dramatically better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredlyMcShredface View Post
    Did you see my set up? I used a Robert Axel Project axle and an Old Man Mountain Rack, works great together and all the load is on the axle not the frame.
    No. Pics?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Talking with some of my connections....I could do either bike the Rival build for about equal money. For the money and same price, which do you choose? How do the overall builds compare?

Thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Can you test ride each? I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both are outstanding bikes and companies. You're really buying the frame and fork since components wear out and you can slowly upgrade the other bits. As others have said, fit is a primary consideration. The 56 SC fit me better than the 55 MX does. Also the Rival build from SC is a 2x whereas the Rival build from Ibis is 1x. IMO the 1x would be the choice if you plan on mainly very rough gravel, trails or mud-fest's and the 2x would be better for long mixed tarmac & gravel and running a different set of wheels as a road bike. Love the Pale green on the Stiggy!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Can you test ride each? I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both are outstanding bikes and companies. You're really buying the frame and fork since components wear out and you can slowly upgrade the other bits. As others have said, fit is a primary consideration. The 56 SC fit me better than the 55 MX does. Also the Rival build from SC is a 2x whereas the Rival build from Ibis is 1x. IMO the 1x would be the choice if you plan on mainly very rough gravel, trails or mud-fest's and the 2x would be better for long mixed tarmac & gravel and running a different set of wheels as a road bike. Love the Pale green on the Stiggy!
    Unfortunately I can't test ride either. I have not found a dealer with a Hakka in stock at all or Stigmata in a 60.

How do the wheelsets compare on them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Unfortunately I can't test ride either. I have not found a dealer with a Hakka in stock at all or Stigmata in a 60.

How do the wheelsets compare on them?
    I know someone who loves the stigmata and I think the hakka is a blast. I'd look at fit (sizes are offset a bit between the two, ibis making odd-numbered sizes and sc even). One might just fit you slightly better.

Other than that, go by color / looks. The hakka is pretty minimal with no logos on the side of the downtube.

Perhaps the biggest upside for the stigmata is the SC warranty. Honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    LBS actually had a new stigmata (Force AXS Eagle 650bx2.0) in my size in stock while I was grabbing some fuel mid-ride on my Hakka.

Took it for a spin in the parking lot, biggest difference I noticed is how much slower the steering was on the Stigmata. It's not boat like by any means, but you can't call it lively. If you're looking for an all-rounder (cross, road, AND gravel), I don't think the Stigmata is gonna be a great choice, I see it very firmly in the gravel camp. It was really light, AXS + Eagle was fun to play around with too. Makes me want to pick up a set of 650b wheels for the Hakka, too. I think the 8k build price seemed pretty high.

I bet the slow steering would translate well to stability, but I've never had an issue with wobbles or anything on the Hakka, even at 40+ on road descents.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    LBS actually had a new stigmata (Force AXS Eagle 650bx2.0) in my size in stock while I was grabbing some fuel mid-ride on my Hakka.

Took it for a spin in the parking lot, biggest difference I noticed is how much slower the steering was on the Stigmata. It's not boat like by any means, but you can't call it lively. If you're looking for an all-rounder (cross, road, AND gravel), I don't think the Stigmata is gonna be a great choice, I see it very firmly in the gravel camp. It was really light, AXS + Eagle was fun to play around with too. Makes me want to pick up a set of 650b wheels for the Hakka, too. I think the 8k build price seemed pretty high.

I bet the slow steering would translate well to stability, but I've never had an issue with wobbles or anything on the Hakka, even at 40+ on road descents.
    Thanks for the great feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iíd love to get Eagle in my Hakka. Is that possible? Iíve not seen a hydraulic road style shifter than can handle Eagle.

mtbr member
    Iíd love to get Eagle in my Hakka. Is that possible? Iíve not seen a hydraulic road style shifter than can handle Eagle.

AXS. Not sure if the parts are available separately yet though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think the 12 speed mountain bike cassettes are 148 rear axle and the Hakka mx is 142 axle 11 speed.

Formerly of Kent
    I think the 12 speed mountain bike cassettes are 148 rear axle and the Hakka mx is 142 axle 11 speed.

Huh?

No.

Any 142x12 bike with an 11 speed SRAM drivetrain can also use a 12 speed drivetrain.

Death from Below.

mtbr member

They fit. I think 12s just uses narrower spacing between the cogs.

Latest Stigmata is 12x142 and has a mullet option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry I was confused.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Sram AXS parts are now available separately so you can build a kit with lets say a GX cassette and XO1 AXS RD and Force AXS Shifters

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Recently purchased a 55 Hakka for my intro to drop bar road+ riding. Curious what avg. stem length riders are opting for. Iím 5í8Ē & the specíd Thompson feels a bit cramped when in the drops. Know this is subjective and a bike fit would resolve but wanted to inquire with the interwebs first. Cheers!
    Last edited by KnobbyFischer; 09-22-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Recently purchased a 58 Hakka for my intro to drop bar road+ riding. Curious what avg. stem length riders are opting for. Iím 5í8Ē & the specíd Thompson feels a bit cramped when in the drops. Know this is subjective and a bike fit would resolve but wanted to inquire with the interwebs first. Cheers!
    Is there a typo somewhere? 58 frame for 5'8" seems quite big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Oops. Itís a 55.

Pedalar sempre
    Sep 2019
    Hello! I'm new to the forum and came to get some information. I am looking to buy a Hakka MX I am 181cm tall and I am thinking of buying a size 58. Would anyone here on the forum have the same height as mine and have a 58 frame? I saw that many opted for 55.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I emailed Chuck at Ibis about running a 2X sub compact crankset like 48/32. Chuck said it's not good on the Hakka because the chain might hit the underside of the chain stay. Now remember on both of these bikes the right chain stay has a bent which goes below the bottom bracket. However when I asked the local Santa Cruz dealer the same question, the tech there said he checked with Santa Cruz and they said it should be
    I've had the same email conversation with Ibis, as I was hoping to do a 2x micro compact crank, and was told 34 was the limit. That said, I actually saw a post on Instragam of someone's build which had a 2x with a 32t inner, and he said it ran fine.

My concern always is that somehow this is going to be impacted by the size of the frame (I'd be getting the biggest one they have), and I'd rather not gamble.

I'm a little concerned to read the comments on the paint and finish quality. I'm going to try and do a test ride/demo soon, and will have to look a little closely at that. Of course, it's going to get scratched and muddy anyway, right? Makes me wonder if the flat black isn't the right choice, as nice as the new 'bone' is. Or go custom with Pro Bike Supply. . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm 5'10.5 and riding a 55 with a 110 x 0 stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Molteni View Post
    I've had the same email conversation with Ibis, as I was hoping to do a 2x micro compact crank, and was told 34 was the limit. That said, I actually saw a post on Instragam of someone's build which had a 2x with a 32t inner, and he said it ran fine.

My concern always is that somehow this is going to be impacted by the size of the frame (I'd be getting the biggest one they have), and I'd rather not gamble.

I have a 55cm frame and just added the GRX 48-31 cranks. I'm running an 11-32 cassette and the chain gets about a 1/2 inch from the underside of the chainstay when in 31-11. Its closer than I'd like but with a clutch rear mech, I haven't noticed any extra noise. I did add frame skin all over the rear triangle and down tube to help protect the frame. Planning to add some 3M 2228 tape to this area just to be safe.

Also, I'm 178cm tall (5'10") and running a 100mm stem / -6 degrees with 20mm of spacers on bottom.

mtbr member
    Purchased a 58cm Hakka with the Rival build kit. The bike is built with 650b tires on Ibis 733 rims. I will be purchasing 700 wheels very soon. I am substituting the stock Ibis bars and seat post for 44cm Easton EC70 AX carbon bars and a Syntace P6 HiFlex seatpost. The bike ships out today from the dealer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Hakka MX-p5pb17932301.jpg  

Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Singlespeed!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Here is my Hakka :) !

Ibis Hakka MX-img_6551.jpgIbis Hakka MX-96840605-0bc6-4784-b932-e3a7ed84ca02.jpgIbis Hakka MX-d0ce2d34-0bdb-45fe-b886-ec6b9e2fd297.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can anyone comment on the Rival vs. GRX groupsets? Thanks!

mtbr member
    My Hakka MX after a few changes. I followed pap's suggestion an added the Lizard Skins 3.2 phantom camo bar tap. Swapped out the Ibis bars and seatpost for an Easton EC70 AX and Syntace P6 HiFlex seapost.

I have ridden it on gravel and singletrack and really impressed with how well it rides.

Ibis Hakka MX-thumbnail_img_4281.jpg
    Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Singlespeed!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23 View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Rival vs. GRX groupsets? Thanks!
    That's a really broad question. I'd suggest googling some reviews and comparisons, and if possible, getting to a shop to ride bikes with both groupsets... your preferences may not align with others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcave216 View Post
    My Hakka MX after a few changes. I followed pap's suggestion an added the Lizard Skins 3.2 phantom camo bar tap. Swapped out the Ibis bars and seatpost for an Easton EC70 AX and Syntace P6 HiFlex seapost.

I have ridden it on gravel and singletrack and really impressed with how well it rides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4281.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	1295285
    Hey JCAVE, What's your seat height set to in this pic?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    hi,

does anyone know what color pantone is 'fireball red' ?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll View Post
    hi,

does anyone know what color pantone is 'fireball red' ?

thanks
    Ibis could tell you if you email them. I had pretty good luck on my Hakka with Testors model paint from a hobby shop. Almost an exact match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Questions and more

I have a 55cm Hakka MX with a dropper and 650B setup. Loving it. I am about to switch from the base SRAM Rival/Praxis/E13 9 - 46 setup to an Eagle AXS 10-50 setup.

FIRST: Anyone interested in swapping their FLAT mount fork for my POST mount fork? I need a flat mount fork! If not swappers, any recommendations for mounting my FLAT caliper to the POST fork?

SECOND: Anyone want an almost new RIVAL setup. Just put on a brand new cassette, chain and chainring. Selling brakes, cranks, shifter, everything! Make me an offer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akaktm View Post
    Questions and more

I have a 55cm Hakka MX with a dropper and 650B setup. Loving it. I am about to switch from the base SRAM Rival/Praxis/E13 9 - 46 setup to an Eagle AXS 10-50 setup.

FIRST: Anyone interested in swapping their FLAT mount fork for my POST mount fork? I need a flat mount fork! If not swappers, any recommendations for mounting my FLAT caliper to the POST fork?

SECOND: Anyone want an almost new RIVAL setup. Just put on a brand new cassette, chain and chainring. Selling brakes, cranks, shifter, everything! Make me an offer.
    I want to make this same conversion - less worried about AXS but more wanting the 10-50 Eagle setup. Please share the details on what you get and how it all goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    my new hakka

Ibis Hakka MX-img_3277.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's not possible to mount flat calipers to a post fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are adapters to do this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've never found an adapter for mounting flat calipers to post forks, but the opposite - adapters for mounting post calipers to flat mount forks - is available. If you've found an adapter for flat calipers to post forks/frames, send us a link please!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey mate
    Try this: https://www.assolutions.ca/flat-moun...adapter-guide/
    I am planning to try it on my hakkalugi disc sram axs build

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks so much for the link! Amazing. I hope they keep making those a while longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hookooekoorider View Post
    Thanks so much for the link! Amazing. I hope they keep making those a while longer.
    No worries they have a template on their site you can cut out and use to check spacing and fit which is handy as well...I will update in the new year when my hakkalugi disc build comes together

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    TRP makes a bunch you can find them on eBay for under 15, free shipping.

mtbr member
    Has anyone taken out the rear fender screws/eyelets and replaced it with something else? Iíd like to remove them permanently and wondering if I need to worry about water getting in the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Has anyone taken out the rear fender screws/eyelets and replaced it with something else? Iíd like to remove them permanently and wondering if I need to worry about water getting in the frame.
    I removed the eyelets and put small black screws in (black frame so black matches). Looked the cleanest without open holes on top of the seat stays.

mtbr member
    Good call. Iíll do that too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Question about sizing: I am 6'1 with a 32.5 inseam (measured crotch to floor), and a wingspan of 69.5. Basically, I have a longer than average torso and shorter than average arms and legs, which is great for weightlifting, not so great for bike fit.

I ran into this same issue with my Ripmo. I opted for L rather than XL because I wanted the bike to be a bit more poppy and playful. It did feel a bit cramped on long flat rides, but I'm not sure how much that relates to the steeper STA vs sizing.

I think things are a bit clearer with the Hakka, as I would imagine a 58 would fit perfectly, but I just wanted to hear input if anyone with similar dimensions has already been down this route, since I can't test ride before purchasing.

Finally, I am also curious about tire choice between 650b and 700c as this is my first foray into gravel. I already have a road bike, so I don't really need it to be a full on road bike. On the other hand, the riding here is very mixed between gravel, chip and seal, and pavement. I'll also be moving in 6 months to who knows where so the conditions will likely change.

That said, I am leaning toward 700c, but would love feedback if anyone has a strong vote for 650b.

Thank you!

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Anyone got the drop on any serious Hakka updates for 2020?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    Question about sizing: I am 6'1 with a 32.5 inseam (measured crotch to floor), and a wingspan of 69.5. Basically, I have a longer than average torso and shorter than average arms and legs, which is great for weightlifting, not so great for bike fit.

I ran into this same issue with my Ripmo. I opted for L rather than XL because I wanted the bike to be a bit more poppy and playful. It did feel a bit cramped on long flat rides, but I'm not sure how much that relates to the steeper STA vs sizing.

I think things are a bit clearer with the Hakka, as I would imagine a 58 would fit perfectly, but I just wanted to hear input if anyone with similar dimensions has already been down this route, since I can't test ride before purchasing.

Finally, I am also curious about tire choice between 650b and 700c as this is my first foray into gravel. I already have a road bike, so I don't really need it to be a full on road bike. On the other hand, the riding here is very mixed between gravel, chip and seal, and pavement. I'll also be moving in 6 months to who knows where so the conditions will likely change.

That said, I am leaning toward 700c, but would love feedback if anyone has a strong vote for 650b.

Thank you!
    Iím very similar to you in size and torso/leg length. I have a 58 with 650b wheels and itís awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Iím very similar to you in size and torso/leg length. I have a 58 with 650b wheels and itís awesome.

Thanks for the reply! This is what I was thinking, but happy to hear confirmation!

mtbr member
    (deleted)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123