Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

New question here. Ibis fans - tough decision to make....

Im currently facing a dilemma and could do with some IBIS riders perspective...

Currently riding a Titus Motolite titanium bike which is close to a year old and proved to be an awesome ride so far. The only thing Im not a fan of is the pedal bob when climbing which to some degree can be reduced by engaging propedal on my RP32 but then you loose some traction as a side effect.

My dilemma is this, I have $2300 budget which I can either spend on a cycling vacation in Europe OR joining the IBIS gang with a shiny new SL or HD.

What would you do - stick with the Motlite and go holiday, or buy a new frame and ride local trails for the next year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just got a SL after being out of the bike scene for 10 years (used to do 15 races a year). I had/have a Barracuda XX XC and loved it. I got the SL and love it so much more.

I don't get pedal bob on the SL unless in the softest setting and even that is minimal and does not seem to take power away.

Get the SL, you will love it.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Sell the Titus, get the SL and go on vacation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you've got the opportunity to ride in Europe, do it! Get a new bike next year. Honestly.

After all we buy bikes to ride don't we? Better a Titus ridden than a Mojo sitting around

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

travel

no choice. live life and have great experiences. go to europe. you can pick up a SL next year. they are great bikes but enjoy Europe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Depends

Europe is quite a big place ...where are you thinking of heading ?

Increase your budget
    Buy a standard Mojo
    and have your holiday
    Kona Muni-Mula '98
    Whyte 46 '05
    Ibis Mojo '09

flow where ever you go
    Buy the SL and go to Europe next year - with the SL as luggage. The SL packs up nicely for plane rides. Although with the airlines being more picky in measuring and checking luggage, I'm not sure how easy it is for the bike to get a free flight anymore.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy

Currently riding a Titus Motolite titanium bike which is close to a year old and proved to be an awesome ride so far. The only thing Im not a fan of is the pedal bob when climbing which to some degree can be reduced by engaging propedal on my RP32 but then you loose some traction as a side effect.

My dilemma is this, I have $2300 budget which I can either spend on a cycling vacation in Europe OR joining the IBIS gang with a shiny new SL or HD.

What would you do - stick with the Motlite and go holiday, or buy a new frame and ride local trails for the next year?

I sold a Moots Cinco to buy my Mojo SL. I was in a similar situation with the Moots. I absolutely loved the bike for all day stuff, but I wanted something that moved forward faster when pedaled. I can definitely say that the Ibis does that for me. Plus I dropped a few pounds.

The Crow
    Yeah, travel. Ibis is a much better bike and will solve your bob issue (I had a ML & RX before I became enlightend) but travelling will be more rewarding than sorting out bob.
    Buy the Ibis next year.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member

I've done both

I went from a Titus swichblade to a ibis, my riding buddy went from a motolight to a ibis, I have not touched the Titus since I got the ibis and neither has my riding bud,we use the titus's as backups for when the ibis is in the shop for repairs...

Been to Europe, go there once a year... It's nice but it's not going anywhere. Get the SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am with Relayden - see if you can do both.

Can't beat memories of holiday, but holiday is of short duration, most of us ride all year long.
    But then you've been having fun on your Titus up until now, and we will never be completely satisfied with what we have anyway (although on an Ibis you come damn close).

See what you can sell your frame for, buy the classic, not the SL and go on holiday - even if you have to stay in slightly cheaper accommodation - s'long as it is safe.

Imagine making all those memories without thinking 'Imagine riding this trail without bob!'
    Problem is, once we have identified a lack in our bikes, it becomes a bigger and bigger issue in our minds, so if you buy the Ibis after Europe, you will probably want to go back to Europe to see what it will be like on the bike without the bob anyway!

So yeah - try do both if in any way possible ( without making debt )

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Some great feedback, I honestly expected a load of just buy the frame comments and have been pleasantly surprised by the balance of the responses, thank you all!
    I am based in London, England and forgot about the US bias of users here, regardless the point of money spent on riding or on new shiny toys is still valid.
    I think on balance Ill blow the cash now on the trip to the Alps with the missus and the Motolite and save pennies/cents for the Mojo HD for next year.
    I think Ill keep the ML as light xc biased machine and build the HD up for slightly more aggressive riding. The HD might be still ight enough and competent enough that I can sell the ML later on.

Great feedback guys. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you are based in London, why not get the SL and go on holiday in Wales! Amazing riding and a shed load cheaper than Europe with the Euro at the moment!!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Get the shock on the Titus Pushed to reduce or even eliminate the bob, go on the trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Vikingboy, that's a whole new ball game now you've mentioned the missus !

If you have even mentioned a nice trip to the Alps you're already going...the decision is not yours!!!

I just built my Mojo and have to say it is an awesome bike. Was riding a Whyte 46 previously and it outshines it in every way.
    Kona Muni-Mula '98
    Whyte 46 '05
    Ibis Mojo '09

I Ride Alone

Good job!

Get the Mojo!
    The Lone Rider.

KevinK
    Jul 2005

Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy

As others have said, take the European Cycling Vacation. Live in the Now, because we don't know what is in our future. The Ibis Mojo SL/HD will still be here when you can afford to make the purchase. Have a fantastic trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

ride it

If it were me in your shoes, this would be my rationale to take the vacation:

The marginal benefit of upgrading from a great boutique bike to this year's best boutique bike weighted against the marginal benefit of experiences and memories... hard to stack up in my book. The reality is that in a couplefew years that mojo would be looking scratched up and maybe even like 'last year's model' compared to whatever Scot has come up with by then. But the experience of riding those trails in the Alps will only get richer with time.

To bastardize a hackneyed cycling phrase: It's not about the bike, it's about the tick list.

I just got back from two weeks in Tahoe with the wife and daughter (and mojo). It was about a mojo's worth of vacation money, but would not trade the time with the family or the fantastic riding to upgrade or even to add another bike (say, that custom singlespeed I've been fantasizing about).

If you didn't already have a very sweet ride, it might be another argument, but even then I'm not sure.

Anyhow, this has all been said more concisely, for example in the below.

Life is good if these decisions count as dilemmas, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by nzl62

After all we buy bikes to ride don't we? Better a Titus ridden than a Mojo sitting around

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Also, looked at from another angle: You get big points for choosing to holiday with the lady over getting that toy you want so badly, especially if she knows about your ‘sacrifice’.

You lose big points for making the other choice

mtbr member
    Every day I ride my Mojo I'm on holiday :-)
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL
    Get the shock on the Titus Pushed to reduce or even eliminate the bob, go on the trip.
    +1

Made a huge improvement in my MotoLite. I'm able to ride at 30% sag with minimal squat/bob.

Members who have read this thread: 0