Ibis DV9 - XC Racing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Ibis DV9 - XC Racing

Is anyone actually racing the DV9?

It was designed to be raced on by NICA racers, but also versatile enough to enjoy general trail riding. Despite a lot of positive sentiment about the bike, I haven't come across much about people actually racing the DV9.

I realized I have everything to build up a new bike, short of a frame and crankset. Budget conscious, I want to put together an XC race bike, and the DV9 hits the budget right on the mark. My other consideration was a specialized chisel at $750, but trading carbon for aluminum, although it would be more of a true XC geometry. The DV9 is appealing for being a carbon frame that is a little lighter for $250 more, at the sacrifice of a more slacked out geometry.

I guess what I'm looking for is some first-hand experience with the DV9 as a race bike, and whether people are happy with it as an XC race bike.

Also, any details on build/weight would be cool as well. I would love something like the new specialized epic or a santa cruz highball, but both framesets there are ~2-2.5x the price of the DV9.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I’ve raced mine in a few races and it is a great bike for that. I have a 120mm fork on it with a 150 dropper post. I have two wheel sets, one for trail riding with 2.6 tires and some carbon wheels with 2.0 tires. Super fun bike, I wouldn’t hesitate on getting it for cross country or marathon racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ibis DV9 - XC Racing

Double posted

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Saw a couple at Lost and Found last year. I think one with a drop bar, too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    I’ve raced mine in a few races and it is a great bike for that. I have a 120mm fork on it with a 150 dropper post. I have two wheel sets, one for trail riding with 2.6 tires and some carbon wheels with 2.0 tires. Super fun bike, I wouldn’t hesitate on getting it for cross country or marathon racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The geometry seems kind of lost between modern XC and trail bikes. the 68.5 HTA is what the new epic HT has, but has a lower bottom bracket, shorter reach, and longer wheelbase than the epic HT. Do you have any experience with a more traditional XC bike and can compare how it handles in those regards? My comparisons right now are a 2nd gen niner sir 9 that I have set up SS, and a Tallboy 3 in the 29er configuration. My sir 9 is by far a better climber than the tallboy. I have it set up with an inverted 70mm stem and it's golden; I'm just looking for something lighter (frame is almost 4.5lbs) and can run boost wheels. The epic HT seems to be the ideal geometry for what I'm looking for in an XC race bike, but the DV9 frame comes in at less than 1/2 the price of the lowest epic HT build. Just wondering if I would be underwhelmed by the DV9 for its main purpose of being an XC race bike.

mtbr member
    I think the dv9 can hold it's own between epic HT / SC highball v3. It sounds like you're on the fence though, and should demo each of those.

I think in 2.6/120 mode with a big dropper, it rides pretty "tall" for a hardtail.

I've had mine built up a few ways: AXS +stepcast 34, sram 1x10 +pike 120, and now SS +sid 110. I think it's a super fun bike with a bigger fork, big dropper, and big tires, but that overlaps too much with the ripley.

It's currently setup with an 80mm dropper, 110mm travel sid, singlespeed, and 2.4rekon/2.35ikon tire combo on i30 wheels. It's definitely raceable in this setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd suggest you look carefully at the reach.
    The designer build it for his daughter to race.

Ibis DV9 - XC Racing-1111hans_and_lili_dv9_prototype_1310px.jpg
    It's short by modern standards. L is 435mm.
    So test ride a couple sizes.
    And compare it to a Chameleon. L is 457mm.