Ibis dv9..designed for a teenaged girl 7 year warranty is garbage!!!! Buyer beware!!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    61

    Ibis dv9..designed for a teenaged girl 7 year warranty is garbage!!!! Buyer beware!!!

    I really hate to be that guy. Always happy to pay for a quality product that a company stands behind. Going through the warranty process for my DV9 left a very bad taste in my mouth. Ibis for life.....I THINK NOT!

    The Ibis DV9 was designed for a teenage girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!! 7 Year Warranty is Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!

    I purchased a large GX build when the bike was released late last fall. It was the first Ibis I have ever owned, always wanted one since they had the "Hand Job" cable hanger. Yup, been MTBing since the late 80s. I enjoyed getting back on a hardtail in contrast to my enduro rig. While recovering form a hand injury the bike helped me gain a new appreciation for the convenient local trails, which are flat and relatively not technical (think smooth and twisty). This bike brought lunch loops back in to the mix for me.

    Early this spring I discovered a crack in the chainstay. To say I was bummed is an understatement. So I contacted Ibis to warranty the frame and was almost excited and the potential to replace/upgrade to the new Ripley. Ibis was very responsive throughout the claim process, however they ultimately determined that the crack was due to an impact and not manufacturer defect. Given the fact that I was injured much of the time I had this bike and that the bike was never dropped, crashed, or ridden in rocky terrain I find the outcome unacceptable. So basically something must have kicked up form the trial and damaged this frame. Sorry, not interested in owning a frame that was designed for a teenage girl.....BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    406
    So you thought you would be able to replace/upgrade to the new Ripley via the warranty process? You must be joking.

    Your post reads kind of like a teenage girl. I'm sure they offered you a crash replacement at a discount, no? Let's see some pics of this crack. If they determined it to be due to an impact, I'll trust them. Ibis has some of the best customer service in the industry and I'd put my faith in their reputation over yours any day. Sorry you cracked your frame, it happens. But to think every crack is manufacturer defect and every and all issues should warranty a full replacement or upgrade to a completely new bike is just not realistic.

  3. #3
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,786
    Since you don't know how the damage occurred it's hard to know what caused it but if it's not a manufacturing defect it should not be covered under warranty. This would fall under "crash replacement" for most companies.

    Post a pic of the damage, it would be more revealing than your lame rant.

    Rock strikes happen. if your not prepared to have your carbon frame repaired (costs $300-400), buy a steel frame.

    I've only ever heard great things about Ibis warranty and customer service. Your expectations are completely unrealistic asking for a Ripley replacement.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  4. #4
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,181
    "always wanted one since they had the "Hand Job" cable hanger."


    that says a lot about the situation.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    61
    I would have gladly paid the difference between a DV9 frame and the new Ripley, or would have welcomed a straight replacement frame. Ibis offered a crash replacement at a discount, which I am not interested in. Don't feel safe on a bike that would break so easily, I am done with Ibis for good!! No need to share photos and I don't have any more time to allocate to complaining, just needed to get that off my chest.

  6. #6
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Yeti View Post
    I would have gladly paid the difference between a DV9 frame and the new Ripley, or would have welcomed a straight replacement frame. Ibis offered a crash replacement at a discount, which I am not interested in. Don't feel safe on a bike that would break so easily, I am done with Ibis for good!! No need to share photos and I don't have any more time to allocate to complaining, just needed to get that off my chest.
    Everythings not a warranty dude. It's a mountain bike, shit happens.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,037
    Without a picture supporting your claim that the damage wasn't due to an impact, your post means nothing. Sorry.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    964
    Especially on Lunch Loops, so I can assume your western slope colorado area. That is some rough stuff, yes there are blue/greens too but even those have plenty of rocks jutting out and loose that can/will get tossed around
    Last edited by Redlands R&C; 07-31-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling error

  9. #9
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Yeti View Post
    I would have gladly paid the difference between a DV9 frame and the new Ripley, or would have welcomed a straight replacement frame. Ibis offered a crash replacement at a discount, which I am not interested in. Don't feel safe on a bike that would break so easily, I am done with Ibis for good!! No need to share photos and I don't have any more time to allocate to complaining, just needed to get that off my chest.
    You've created three posts on the subject so apparently you have the time.

  10. #10
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Especially on Lunch Loops, so I can assume your western slope colorado area. That is so rough stuff, yes there are blue/greens too but even those have plenty of rocks jutting out and loose that can/will get tossed around
    Ha, I thought the same, then realized he/she must be referring to just riding at lunch.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    48

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Yeti View Post
    No need to share photos and I don't have any more time to allocate to complaining, just needed to get that off my chest.
    teenage girl confirmed

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richardjohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Yeti View Post
    I really hate to be that guy. Always happy to pay for a quality product that a company stands behind. Going through the warranty process for my DV9 left a very bad taste in my mouth. Ibis for life.....I THINK NOT!

    The Ibis DV9 was designed for a teenage girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!! 7 Year Warranty is Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!

    I purchased a large GX build when the bike was released late last fall. It was the first Ibis I have ever owned, always wanted one since they had the "Hand Job" cable hanger. Yup, been MTBing since the late 80s. I enjoyed getting back on a hardtail in contrast to my enduro rig. While recovering form a hand injury the bike helped me gain a new appreciation for the convenient local trails, which are flat and relatively not technical (think smooth and twisty). This bike brought lunch loops back in to the mix for me.

    Early this spring I discovered a crack in the chainstay. To say I was bummed is an understatement. So I contacted Ibis to warranty the frame and was almost excited and the potential to replace/upgrade to the new Ripley. Ibis was very responsive throughout the claim process, however they ultimately determined that the crack was due to an impact and not manufacturer defect. Given the fact that I was injured much of the time I had this bike and that the bike was never dropped, crashed, or ridden in rocky terrain I find the outcome unacceptable. So basically something must have kicked up form the trial and damaged this frame. Sorry, not interested in owning a frame that was designed for a teenage girl.....BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!
    I was so confused by this post that I actually came in there. Literally thought you were complaining that this bike wasn't suitable for a girl but for some reason you assume that teenage girls don't ride aggressively and couldn't damage a bike. I would like to point you to Racheal Atherton who started shredding the world DH scene when she was a teen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Atherton

    Just remember that while you think teenage girls couldn't possibly be more epic than you, you are wrong.

    I hear you that bikes shouldn't break but actually bikes totally break and a replacement deal on IBIS is one of the better options you can get. To quote tommy boy:
    Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.

    Ted: I'm listening.

    Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

    Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

    Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.

    Ted: What's your point?

    Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.

    Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

    Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.

    Ibis warranty is to prevent their manufacturing a piece of shit and having to shell out. If they do make shit, they got your back. If you break it while using it and it is, in fact, not a piece of shit, then they will give you a nice discount to get you back on your feet. Had a similar thing happen on my Diamondback when I was hit by a car, they offered me a replacement cost on a new frame, even though they were in no way responsible for the car crashing in to me. Turner did the same when I broke an afterburner, they had me send it to them to see if they could fix it, when they couldn't they offered me a replacement cost frame. They weren't responsible for how it broke, I rode it aggressively and it broke. They tried and offered me a bonus to keep me on the the brand.

  14. #14
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,788
    Worst thread of the day so far, but there's still time ...
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    68
    I understand you're peeved, but starting your conversation with name calling makes you unlikable from the jump. If you want sympathy try presenting evidence and being nice.

    I've had the opposite experience with Ibis in terms of customer service as well as overall interaction with their entire staff. I own 3 Ibis bikes including a DV9 with 1200 miles, Hakka with 3000 miles, and OG Ripley with over 5000 miles and they're all running well after some aggressive riding an all of them. I've trashed an Ibis wheel and was offered a replacement wheel at the warranty discount which is more than fair and above industry standards.

    I can't speak to your facts because you haven't presented any objective evidence like a picture, but it sounds reasonable on the part of Ibis.

    Cheers.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,160
    Worth the time to do their replacement offer, then sell the bike to recoop your replacement frame? Use the bonus money to put towards your new bike.

    Some people would be happy to have a new bike (frame) at a reasonable used cost you could sell it for.
    Or make it even easier, buy the frame then sell just the frame.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,167
    OP said he's done with this hot mess of a thread so it's /closed

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 Ibis DV9 hardtail
    By alexbn921 in forum Ibis
    Replies: 608
    Last Post: 4 Hours Ago, 02:38 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-02-2015, 11:27 AM
  3. Chain Reaction(UK) - Buyer Beware!
    By Biggie in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
  4. Alibaba.com buyer beware
    By tsull247 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.