Ibis on coil- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ibis on coil

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Ibis on coil

OK, lets discuss the whole Ibis coil shock thing. People have been running coil on these bikes for ages despite the warnings - Robin Wallner ran the x-fusion coil on the HD3, and ran the DHX2 on the HD4 in Whistler a couple years back. Brian Lopes, Dillon Santos, and Evan G have all been running them on their bikes at some point this year. Ripmo AF has shown the bushing overlap concerns with DW may not be a problem with some shocks (like DVO Jade X) and the bikes are as progressive as many other brands that are coil compatible e.g. yeti, orbea, mondraker.

I know a few people here have taken the plunge, so please share your experience. I'm quite happy with my X2 Ripmo but looking into the MRP hazard with progressive spring as something to try out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I can't remember which thread it was, but the guy from MRP chimed in stating it wasn't so much about the leverage curve, but that the clevis arrangement effectively lengthens the shaft far more than most coils are designed around, meaning the smaller main shaft on the coil shocks can be put at risk of breaking.

I can get this explanation more than the leverage ratio part. I've had a few mates in Sydney repeated go through Cane Creek/Ohlins Coils on just about any Stumpies and Enduros. Having seen one go at Narra, it's a pretty ugly result for the frame and the rider!

Wtth that said, more and more bikes are going clevis/yoke arrangements and lots run coil shocks. Let me know how you go for sure though!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I thought I saw a MRP Hazzard on a Ibis Ripmo on MRPs IG page the other day...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Indeed you did.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4c_-Ryh..._web_copy_link

But I ended up finding the thread and post where Noah mentions the clevis lengthing the effective shaft length. Given I don't current have too much issue with my X2, I'll hang off. But perhaps worth a short try in the future if, for some reason, I need better shock response.

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...l#post13851615

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    Edit - I just spoke to Todd at Ibis and it sounds like at this time that even though MRP offers the shock in the 210x55 length it won't work. I didn't catch everything Todd said but something about the clevis increasing the actual eye to eye??
    Bikes that use a layout whereby the rear shock eyelet is turned 90 and a yoke is utilized present some challenges to shocks in general, and especially coil shocks. They effectively lengthen the shock and increase the stress on them and potential for side loading.

Among coil shocks, the Raze and Hazzard have pretty large shafts, and the eyelet-to-shaft connection (the weak spot for coil shocks) has been beefed up in the Hazzard compared to the (v1) Raze to better deal with these stresses. However, we can't guarantee that "yoked" bikes won't damage or break the shocks and if that occurred it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Additionally, this type of failure could result in damage to the frame which the frame manufacturer might decline to cover under their warranty.

All that said, I've put hundreds of heavy miles on a Hazzard on my Pivot Firebird and had no issues. But that experience alone isn't enough for use to approve them without caveats on every or even any bike with that type of linkage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This has been said by Ibis too over the years, yet here is Ripmo AF on coil with a clevis design. Maybe only a few shocks can take it, Jade X being one and EXT who offer a Ripmo tube being another.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Or maybe the bushing lower link design has stiffened things up to the point where the load is not so much