Ibis carbon rims and logo hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Ibis carbon rims and logo hubs

Looking for some feedback on the S28 carbon rims and logo hubs. Biggest concern is to not get too stiff a carbon rim...How's the compliance/ride quality on these? Durability? How about the hub? On a test ride it was quiet and seemed to work fine. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Following..: Wondering if these wheels are worth the $800 upgrade on the new AF to save 180g.

Ride On!
    I have owned both 29 & 27.5 Ibis carbon rims. To put it plainly, they ROCK!! My Ripmo has the S35 Aluminum rims and they are great, but I miss the stiffness of carbon and the weight difference is somewhat noticeable. I have one piece of advice for you if you can at all possible get the carbon I9 Hydra hubs, buy them. I really miss the I9 hubs and the near-zero points of engagement. For me, they make a big difference in technical climbs and giving the bike that extra punch when needed elsewhere. The Ibis hubs are good and from what I understand, very durable, however, they have about a 10 dg engagement.

I am on more of a budget now, however, I am considering getting the I9 Hydras and lacing them up in my current S35 rims. Just my 2 cents worth, good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks...I'm on the fence on Hydra. I've owned both previous generations of I9...they are a lot of maintenance and getting tired of the noise and the drag. Freehub bearing recently blew out on my Torch...glad I didn't get stranded on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can you change to driver on these hubs between shimamo and sram?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Can you change to driver on these hubs between shimamo and sram?
    Yes

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Thanks...I'm on the fence on Hydra. I've owned both previous generations of I9...they are a lot of maintenance and getting tired of the noise and the drag. Freehub bearing recently blew out on my Torch...glad I didn't get stranded on the trail.
    Interesting. This might be the first complaint I've ever seen about i9 hubs having drag or reliability issues. Noisy, yes...

Just a flesh wound
    I have the carbon rims with Ibis logo hubs on my Ripmo (non AF). They have been fantastic over the last 750 miles, but I have the S35 rims. On the AF, I would go wider than 28. The Ibis rims are as stiff laterally but not as stiff vertically as my older 32mm internal LB rims. The 35mm internal Ibis rims add a ton of sidewall stability.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks Northside and Profit Julio for the reviews. I'm interested in S28 for my Ripley so I think your data point on the 35s is still helpful. Another poster is getting an AF and I agree that he would probably want S35 for that.

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Interesting. This might be the first complaint I've ever seen about i9 hubs having drag or reliability issues. Noisy, yes...
    Not sure about Hydraís, but Iíve got two carbon wheelsets with Torch hubs that have had issues. The bearings in the driver body disintegrated on one set. The second set still runs good but the internals started rusting this spring two months into a new build. It was a wet spring, but Iíve neglected DT Swiss hubs for years without concern.
    Hydra hubs addressed both of those issues with better seals and larger bearings. Hopefully that takes care of things, since Iím getting a warranty upgrade to Hydraís on my newer wheelset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Not sure about Hydraís, but Iíve got two carbon wheelsets with Torch hubs that have had issues. The bearings in the driver body disintegrated on one set. The second set still runs good but the internals started rusting this spring two months into a new build. It was a wet spring, but Iíve neglected DT Swiss hubs for years without concern.
    Hydra hubs addressed both of those issues with better seals and larger bearings. Hopefully that takes care of things, since Iím getting a warranty upgrade to Hydraís on my newer wheelset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, keep us posted on that. A big plus for me on the Hydra's is that they replaced those tiny springs that flew off every time I tried to service them with better ones that are not supposed to fly off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ya the leaf springs are a definite improvement. They also increased the bearing and axle size and hopefully that resolves the bearing drag/wear issue. But then again, the introduction of Torch created the same optimism that all was fixed from the 1st gen model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ya the leaf springs are a definite improvement. They also increased the bearing and axle size and hopefully that resolves the bearing drag/wear issue. But then again, the introduction of Torch created the same optimism that all was fixed from the 1st gen model.
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone can chime in on experience with S28 rims. Particularly if they are noticeably less harsh than your average 28-30mm ID carbon rim.

Also in response to EJ, I have been running Hydras on two separate wheel sets for about a year. I haven't had any issues so far. You won't even hear them on the trail if you grease them once a month (takes about 2 minutes to do). If not, they're still a lot quieter than the Torch hubs. The drag is also very minimal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I bought a Ripley after starting this thread and got the S28 rims with Ibis hubs. I've ridden about 600 miles and very happy so far with rims and hubs. My previous bike had Enve rims and these feel significantly more compliant, although it's hard to say for sure since it's a whole new bike. It was a nice surprise that the Ibis wheelset was about 140g lighter per wheel compared to Enve with I9 Torch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I bought a Ripley after starting this thread and got the S28 rims with Ibis hubs. I've ridden about 600 miles and very happy so far with rims and hubs. My previous bike had Enve rims and these feel significantly more compliant, although it's hard to say for sure since it's a whole new bike. It was a nice surprise that the Ibis wheelset was about 140g lighter per wheel compared to Enve with I9 Torch.
    Good to hear. I'm going to give the s28 wheels a try and see how they compare to my LB wheels (Nobl TR36).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

NOrcalJaz, did you upgrade to I9 Hydras?

Would the spokes on the S35 Ibis hubs happen to be the same length?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalTaz View Post
    I have owned both 29 & 27.5 Ibis carbon rims. To put it plainly, they ROCK!! My Ripmo has the S35 Aluminum rims and they are great, but I miss the stiffness of carbon and the weight difference is somewhat noticeable. I have one piece of advice for you if you can at all possible get the carbon I9 Hydra hubs, buy them. I really miss the I9 hubs and the near-zero points of engagement. For me, they make a big difference in technical climbs and giving the bike that extra punch when needed elsewhere. The Ibis hubs are good and from what I understand, very durable, however, they have about a 10 dg engagement.

I am on more of a budget now, however, I am considering getting the I9 Hydras and lacing them up in my current S35 rims. Just my 2 cents worth, good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Struggling to decide between s28 and s35 for my new Ripley. Donít think Iíll ever run more than 2.5. Likely 2.4 rekon rear, 2.4 dissector front for local riding and then dhf/dhr for the mountains. Any advice here? Can you run the Maxxis WT on the 28?

Just a flesh wound
    Go with the S35 rims. The WT design is for 30mm and up I think. Besides that, wider rims offer a ton of lateral support to the sidewall. Less pressure gives you a larger contact patch for better traction. It is proven that lower tire pressures allow the tire to conform to the terrain and roll faster. No burping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerjw View Post
    Struggling to decide between s28 and s35 for my new Ripley. Donít think Iíll ever run more than 2.5. Likely 2.4 rekon rear, 2.4 dissector front for local riding and then dhf/dhr for the mountains. Any advice here? Can you run the Maxxis WT on the 28?
    Iím interested in responses to this question as well. Tough call between 27, 30 or 35 internal width rims for 2.4-2.5 (and maybe 2.6) for bikes like the Ripley and my pivot trail 429.

Edit to add:

Link from maxxis https://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

Discussion from maxxis https://reviews.mtbr.com/can-you-run...n-regular-rims

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    S35 is not to wide for 2.4? I assume that is the smallest you would want to go.

Just a flesh wound
    Never mind. I tried to link a test, but the old link is no good.

The 2.4 is as small as you would probably go. But if you want to go to a 2.6 or a 2.5, you have the option. The 2.4 will not suffer in the S35. I used to run 2.3's on my LB 32mm internals. In fact the old Prophet has a 2.5 27.5 on the front and a 2.4 26 on the rear, both WT construction.

I have a new Agarro 2.6 for the rear of my Ripmoi, but I haven't tried it yet. Still milking the last bit out of the Agressor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I think 2.35/2.4 does just fine on the 35mm iw wheels. Lots of people running the 2.4DHRII on them and I've run a 2.35 Eliminator without issue, still has a great shape.

***I have a set of S35 Carbon rims with Logo hubs for sale. Less than a hundred miles on them. In like new shape. Has the old style shimano HG driver but can include an XD driver for a small upcharge. Message me if you have any questions or interested.***

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by peanstein View Post
    Would the spokes on the S35 Ibis hubs happen to be the same length?
    Not had a chance yet, a bit too much $$$ at this point in time given everything that is going on. The spoke lengths between the I9's and Ibis Hubs are different, they are listed in the current Ibis owner manual.
    https://www.ibiscycles.com/support/setup-guide

For 29" I9's in mm
    Front: 296ND / 294D, Rear: 294ND / 292D

For 29" Ibis Hubs
    293MM Non-drive & Drive

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Similar question, I know I'll be running 2.6's on my new Ripley, so, S35 or S28? I know I won't go bigger than 2.6 so the S35 seems like overkill? Great for 2.8's no doubt, as I have on my HD4. But if I can run a lighter wheelset like the S28 with 2.6's and no noticeable downside (I don't want the "lightbulb" shape in the tire obviously) than why wouldn't I? Anyone have experience with 2.6's on S35 vs. S28?