Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos

I donít think thereís a thread for this so letís see if we can get one going? What tires have you guys been running with great success. Let us know the tire make and width, front and rear so we can get an idea.

Front Tire (include width):
    Rear Tire (include width):
    Where you live: So we can get an idea of the terrain.

Tires are expensive so maybe we can all save some money by not buying a set that is a total fail with these rims.

Iím in the market and Iím thinking of some Hans Dampf 2.35 front and 2.25 rear but Iím unsure if the width on the rear is enough? If the width on the rear is enough I might just go with 2.25 front an rear since the 2.35s are already a pig on standard width rims.

Other contenders:
    Maxxis Ardents or High Rollers
    WTB Vigilante

I also love the classic Kenda Nevegals they treat me well in Norcal, but Iím unsure, hence the thread.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I have been riding 741's for a few months now

Front Tire (include width): Maxxis High Roller 2 (2.3)
    Rear Tire (include width): Schwalbe Rock Razor (2.25)
    Where you live: All over California

Since California is in the worst drought of the past 80 years, I've had great success riding the semi-slick on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't have the wide rims on my Ripley, but I just sprung for a set of wide (35mm internal width) Derby HD layup carbon rims for my SL-R.
    So, I guess you can say I have a set of 641s.
    Front Tire: Hans Dampf 2.35, 22 PSI
    Rear Tire: Nobby Nic 2.25, 24 PSI

East of Seattle.

I don't think I would like to go any bigger in the back due to chainstay clearance, but it is really so fine to ride with this set up. It's almost a mini Fat Bike.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 10-21-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added pressures

screamer

please post pressures also!

Thanks for starting the thread. I began one on the 27.5 board, but got no love. Personally, I'd really like to know what tire pressure everyone is running, since one of the selling points of wide rims is being able to go lower. On rocky terrain, I've found this to be quite problematic w/rimstrikes. Note that these aren't Ibis rims, but a well-known competitor.

Me: 185lbs geared up
    Riding: Rocky fast NorCal singletrack, v. little air time
    Rims: 41mm hookless carbon

Purgatory 2.3 Grid: 20/25psi F/R (Tracks incredibly well on front. Benefits most dramatic in loose babyhead chutes. On rear, wider profile seems a bit sluggish, although dramatic improvements on off-camber loose turns make it worthwhile)
    NeoMoto 2.3: 20psi F (Transformational on front, eliminates this tire's sidewall deflection & vagueness.)
    Ardent Race 2.2 Exo/TR: 25psi R (Honestly can't notice a huge difference, except slightly improved traction on steep or techy climbs esp. out of the saddle.)
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    I live in Seattle, been riding and enduro racing on the 741s through summer and now into the wet season. Running these on a Nomad 650b. I'm ~195 geared up.

On the 741, I've tried:

Front tires:
    -Magic Mary 2.35, ~20PSI- Blew up to almost a 2.6 on the wide rims; handled like a pig with the 65 degree HTA of the Nomad, rolling was really slow at low PSI
    -Minion DHF 2.3, ~22PSI-2.35" on the wide rims, corners well in drier conditions but not great in wet. Wide rims seem to make cornering knobs "close up" rather than really give an edge that can be set.
    -Shorty 2.3, ~22PSI-My favorite in moist-to-wet, great edging knobs. Inflates to a true 2.3 on the wide rims. Rolls fast for such an aggressive tire.

Rear tires:
    -Hans Dampf 2.35, ~24PSI-Another super-fatty, over 2.5" on the wide rims. I had this paired with the Magic Mary and the bike had to be absolutely man-handled into corners. Not my favorite. Also, cut a sidewall just below the tread on my 3rd ride. May revisit this one as a dry condition front tire next summer.
    -Minion DHRII 2.3, ~24PSI-Liking these paired with a Shorty. Roll pretty well, brake pretty well. They have the same issue as the DHFs with "blunting" the cornering knobs on the wide rims, but this is OK with me on the rear.

*Edited to add pressures

mtbr member
    Will chime in, again a pair of Derby's 29er rims but close enough. Current set up:

Front - Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3, ~20-22 psi (thumbs up)
    Rear - Panaracer Rampage 2.35, ~24 psi (thumbs up)
    Live - Marin/Bay Area (dry and loose)
    Body Weight - 155-165

The Minion didn't set up exceptionally big (pretty true to size) but is still rounded enough to corner well. Pretty aggressive and way overkill for where I live but is great up in the mountains.

The Rampage also works well on these rims, sets up a bit bigger (about 2.4) but is still rounded so cornering traction is good. Wouldn't hesitate to use it on the front in dry conditions as something that's a bit faster rolling but is bigger and still corners really well.

Other tire's I've used:
    WTB Vigilante 2.3, front tire -Sets up big and nobby, definitely 2.4 or 2.5 and looked more like a moto tire. Stayed fairly rounded though and seemed to work well on the rim (as a tire kind of torn on it but can't really explain why, probably just not the best for my locale and riding style).

Maxxis Ardent 2.25, rear tire - Again, expands a bit, especially the sidewalls (outermost nobs about even with the side wall). Even though it kind of squared off a bit more then normal still worked pretty well in the rear, never had any complaints and the side nobs still did their job. Never cut a side wall either, though did pinch flat one right at the bead by smashing a rock pretty good on a hardtail (and pretty sure it was under 20 psi, hadn't checked the pressure in a while and the front was at about 18...). Probably would want the 2.4 version for a front tire but also guessing it would probably be pretty damn big.

Others seen but not ridden -
    Schwalbe Noby Nic 29x2.25 (older tread pattern, front) - Looks reasonable, have heard mixed opinions about the tires though
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25 (rear) - tire definitely looks bigger and the side walls are pretty flush with the outer nobs. Haven't heard any negatives.

* edited
    Last edited by evo233; 10-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Also, others with personal experience might want to chime in but think a HRII might be a bit too square on the wide rims to be able to get any kind of lean angle with out it giving out from under you. Haven't seen that combo in person though so only speculation (and would be hesitant to spend $80 on that big a risk).
    Since you're considering HR2 on Derby 29" rims: HR2 2.3 EXO 2C on a Derby 29" (35mm external width) at 23 PSI, has only ~20 miles on it:

Name:  hr2.PNG
Views: 12102
Size:  347.1 KB

I run this tire F/R on the Ripley w/ Derby 29, bombs downhill like a champ, albeit not the fastest tire for climbing. Was recommended to me as a great setup for the Ripley, I agree. About to try an Ikon 2.35 in back, which fits in the Ripley RT on the Derby 29" with ~5.5mm clearance at the closest spots at 25 PSI.
    Last edited by ca_rider; 10-22-2014 at 01:03 AM.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    84 GT, Araya 7x, Uni Seat, Potts Mod, Holeshot
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Please post pics if you got em too, that'll be helpful to us.

Thanks!

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    Please post pics if you got em too, that'll be helpful to us.

Thanks!
    Probably going to get flamed for posting these here, but until Ibis releases their new bike, I'm riding something else with 741's...

My feelings on the 741's in a nutshell...

They're big, all-black, and look sick. They also take a beating. Get them and don't look back. Worth every dime.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    Since you're considering HR2 on Derby 29" rims: HR2 2.3 EXO 2C on a Derby 29" (35mm external width) at 23 PSI, has only ~20 miles on it:

I run this tire F/R on the Ripley w/ Derby 29, bombs downhill like a champ, albeit not the fastest tire for climbing. Was recommended to me as a great setup for the Ripley, I agree. About to try an Ikon 2.35 in back, which fits in the Ripley RT on the Derby 29" with ~5.5mm clearance at the closest spots at 25 PSI.
    Why it's always good for someone with actual experience to chime in, speculation is just that...

mtbr member
    Here's a Magic Mary 2.35 Snakeskin on the 741s. They measure about 2.4" on a 23mm internal rim, and ride OK, but frankly I find them just a bit too much on the wider rims!

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_1823.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    On my Ripley with Derbys, I am running an Ardent 2.3 in the rear and HRII 2.35 up front. I'm pretty happy with the combo but seems a bit heavy for climbing... On that note...

I'm looking toward trying the new 2015 Nobby Nic on my Derbys. Looking to try the 29x2.35. In the previews, they are selling them as a blend of the Hans Dampf and previous NN. But a weight around 750

mtbr member
    I've been on 40mm 650b Derbys for over a year, first on a Mojo SL, and now a HD-R w/ 150mm Pike. I'm 170 lbs ready to ride and hitting dry rocky limestone chunk and loose-over in Austin several days a week. I've had good luck with:

Front: Minion DHF 2.3 (I agree, I think it could be made better with a tweak for wide rims.... I think... it's awfully good as is. A 2.35 or 2.4 optimized for these rims would be an instant success, methinks.)
    Nevegal 2.35....Good old Nevs...keep on ticking,
    currently running a Geax Goma 2.4...huge and fast and relatively light and excellent in rocks...running it at 17psi...no worries of rim damage with this much volume..could run lower on less rocky trails

Rear: Mavic Cross Roc Roam at 24psi (lowish volume fits tight rear triangles well. Corners and lasts much better than any of the other 2.1-2.2 size tires I tried. Cornering attitude matched the DHF in front well.
    Geax Goma 2.25 at 20-22psi... working out great. Neither of the Gomas really have tread extending beyond the width of the casing, but it hasn't been a problem.... the sidewalls started looking like hell from sliding and scraping off all the rock, but it's just been cosmetic so far after several months of regular thrashing. They're pretty tough, and a good choice if you want a big voluminous tire that sets up very round and still rolls and snaps in and out of corners well, but they don't have the ultimate carving grip of the Minion or Mavic in softer / deeper soil. The Minion did tend to "dull" the steering responses a bit...requires a little more firm cornering input...nothing that can't be adjusted to, and I'm kind of neutral on whether it's better or worse....just different. If I were doing an Enduro with a lot of deep kitty litter corners or soft loamy soil I'd definitely take the DHF over the Goma, but the Gomas take the edge for pinballing through rock gardens at speed and sticking and steering well on slick rock, as well as feeling nice and lively.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Who makes the 'Shorty'? Maybe i'm blanking on it but I don't know if i've heard of that tire. Thanks!

OriginalDonk
    Maxxis makes the Shorty. The dual ply downhill iteration has been around for a while, the trail/all mountain 2.3 EXO 3C tubeless ready version is just trickling out now. Sounds like DrewBird has put some time in on them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    Maxxis makes the Shorty. The dual ply downhill iteration has been around for a while, the trail/all mountain 2.3 EXO 3C tubeless ready version is just trickling out now. Sounds like DrewBird has put some time in on them.
    Thanks i don't know how I missed them. Though they are a little obscure a google shopping search only came up with 1 result. Maybe they're worth a try?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Have just purchased a set of Ibis 741s. 100% sold on the science of wider wheels. Cannot wait to get them mounted. I have a Magic Mary Snakeskin Trailstar for the front and a Hans Dampf Pacestar for the back. I live in Calgary and ride varied terrain but lots of slippery roots and rocks. I am more of a Clydesdale at 6'4" and 220lbs so not too worried about the extra drag. I have been riding the stock generic rims this year with Nobby Nics and underwelmed with their traction, especially in loose corners and over wet roots. Lowest pressures I can run are 32 psi or tires squirm in corners. Hoping I can run 26-28 psi with the new set up.

mtbr member

941's on a Tallboy carbon
    Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front and rear
    Tire pressure 16 psi f & r.
    I weigh 165 and ride Massachusets ST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post

How's that combo working out for ya? Where do you ride?

mtbr member

Can't say enough about this combo. I ride mostly Cape Cod trails with flow and Boston north shore Rocky and rooty trails.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Anyone tried Hans Dampf 2.25 in front? Wondering how the skinnier profile will work versus the 2.35

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    Anyone tried Hans Dampf 2.25 in front? Wondering how the skinnier profile will work versus the 2.35
    I haven't, but based on the 2.35 version I have my doubts. With he 2.35 the sidewall is already the widest part of the tire on the wide rims; with the 2.25 I think you might end up with a tire with sidewall where the cornering knobs should be and a little mohawk of tread down the middle. But give it a shot and post a pic!

I moved away from the HD after slashing a sidewall just below the tread, which I think was caused by the increased sidewall exposure on the wide rims....

All bike, all the time
    941s NN front, Racing Ralph rear, both 2.25, 16-18 front, 20-22 rear
    200 w gear in Santa Cruz. Haven't ridden em since the Deluge of the Decade but on hardpack they rock. No real gnarly stuff either this is 24.5 lb XC build

741s DHFs front and rear at 15-16, lots of bite, too much iMo in cornering, and a bit on heavy side. Very stable tho no flopping even at low pressure. Thinking lighter tires when things dry out, want to try the Marys...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    941s NN front, Racing Ralph rear, both 2.25, 16-18 front, 20-22 rear
    200 w gear in Santa Cruz. Haven't ridden em since the Deluge of the Decade but on hardpack they rock. No real gnarly stuff either this is 24.5 lb XC build
    Is that the new Nobby Nic? If so I'd be curious to see a photo of that tire on the wide rim. It seems like those don't have a ton of corner knob to start with, so curious how they set up on 941s...

All bike, all the time
    Nope the old NNs I think since I got em killer deal at Competitive Cyclist. The corner knob issue is something of a black box from what I can tell, so far at least. (Agree the NN isn't best cornering tire.) For all around riding I get better results with smaller closer knobs, i.e. Ikon and RR. But the lighter casing can flop at too-low pressures, so I have to raise the psi, which gives them less bite in the corners and arrrgghhhh.... What's your sense? Still think we're gonna see whole new lines addressing this from tire makers but maybe there's a solution out there already?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Is that the new Nobby Nic? If so I'd be curious to see a photo of that tire on the wide rim. It seems like those don't have a ton of corner knob to start with, so curious how they set up on 941s...
    All bike, all the time

All bike, all the time
    I put Shortys on a Tallboy... worst combination ever!
    All bike, all the time

All bike, all the time
    So now aprŤs deluge what're you ridin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb View Post
    Front Tire (include width): Maxxis High Roller 2 (2.3)
    Rear Tire (include width): Schwalbe Rock Razor (2.25)
    Where you live: All over California

Since California is in the worst drought of the past 80 years, I've had great success riding the semi-slick on the rear.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Is this the type of photos you were looking for?
    Name:  941 NN 1.jpg
Views: 5164
Size:  42.3 KBName:  941 NN 2.jpg
Views: 5121
Size:  36.0 KB

mtbr member
    Hey thanks, is that a 2.25 or 2.35?

Either way it looks like the shoulder knobs are "closing up" a bit on the wide rims, as you'd expect. Like, in the photo from above it's clear that the widest part of the tire is the casing, not the knobs, so you might be able to over-lean it.

mtbr member
    Isn't that the old Nobby Nic?

All bike, all the time
    Yes, compare here: Schwalbe 2015 Nobby Nic - Review - Pinkbike

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Isn't that the old Nobby Nic?
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Considering this exact combo. What fork are you running? Any pics of front clearance?

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post

Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a set of 741's on order. I wonder how the Conti Trail Kings would fare?

Also I have a set of Nobby Nic's, I'm assuming this is a no-go with the 741's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nobby Nics are good on the (my) Derby 26" wide rims and on the (friend's) 941s. Why would you assume they are a no-go?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Considering this exact combo. What fork are you running? Any pics of front clearance?
    Running a Fox /120 travel with plenty of clearance. This is the best money I've spent in 30 years of MTBing.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Has anyone ever considered the WTB WOLVERINE 2.2?

I have an HD3 on the way with 741s and Maxxis Minions. But the Minions are more tire than what I need here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

My LBS had the Wolverines in stock and the owner is running them on them on his 32mm wide NOX Teocalli rims. He's very happy with their performance. So I thought that I'd give them a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    on my 741's (rims built to king hubs at speeddream), I'm running hans dampf 2.35's at 17-19psi. I'm 180lbs-ish and ride santa cruz mtg mixed terrain.

meh
    Running the 2.4" MKII front and rear on my 650b HDR on 741's with no issues. Tire seems to have a good profile on the wide rims.

mtbr member
    Enduro Magazine Review | Six months on IBIS 741 Carbon Rims
    Six months on IBIS 741 Carbon Rims | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-ibis-741-review-2476-780x520.jpg

All bike, all the time
    Thanks for sharing... certainly confirms what this forum has been saying!
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    Enduro Magazine Review | Six months on IBIS 741 Carbon Rims
    Six months on IBIS 741 Carbon Rims | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBIS-741-Review-2476-780x520.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	955753
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I understand the "issue" with tire selection and the widest of rims, like the 741s. My question is at what internal width is one not likely to have these "issues" with the current selection of tires available today. For example, does tire selection become problematic with Nox Farlow's @ 29mm internal? Are 2.25-2.40 tires designed to be optimal on, for example, 19-23mm internal, or 19-30mm internal?

OriginalDonk
    The little kid inside me is wishing that the Asian factory producing the NOX rims was called something like Hung Incorporated. If that were the case and I were NOX, I'd avoid rebranding and sell the Hung Farlow like hot cakes.

As you were.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    The little kid inside me is wishing that the Asian factory producing the NOX rims was called something like Hung Incorporated. If that were the case and I were NOX, I'd avoid rebranding and sell the Hung Farlow like hot cakes.

As you were.
    LOL..nice. That should be a future, controversial, Ibis bike name. The new, 8.5inch Ibis Hungfarlow

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My wife and I have been running derby rims since November of 2013. In that time, we have run the following tires on a custom Vulture Ti hardtail, Kona Process 134, Ibis Mojo HDR, and now the HD3. Here are the tires we have run (all 27.5) and comments on each:

1. Minion 3C EXO 2.3 - Run as a front tire on both the Vulture and Process. Its a great tire, probably the best of all time IMO. Yes, the wider rims do compress the gaps between the inner and outer knobs, but I didn't notice any performance letoff, or whatever decrease there might be was completely mitigated by the ability to run 5-6 psi less for better traction and feel. I would really love to see this tire in a 2.5 (or 2.4 ardent) sized casing as I think the 2.3 doesn't perform as well on any rim as my old 2.5 EXO minions did on my 26 inch bikes. I also think that the sidewalls on the old 26" versions were more durable.

2. Ardent 2.25 EXO - We ran this as a rear tire on the Kona, HDR, and Vulture. Except for durability issues, I've been fairly happy with the ardents as a trail tire but I much prefer the 2.4 version (especially on the front) or the 2.35 Ikon.

3. Ardent 2.4 EXO - I've run this as a front and rear tire on the Kona and Vulture. The 2.4 really works nicely on the wide Derby rims and maintains a round profile with the edge knobs tilted outwards. If you like Ardents (I prefer minions and more agressive tires), then you'll really like them on the 741s and Derbys.

4. Ikon EXO 3C 2.35 - This is probably the best dry conditions tire I have found for the rear on the 741s and Derbys. Its big volume and the knobs are substantial enough that you get good braking and cornering combined with a lot of rolling efficiency and speed. Being able to run this tire at low pressures is fantastic! In fact, my wife is still running hers even though its January in Oregon.

5. High Roller II EXO 3C 2.4 - I did not run this tire for very long before selling it to a friend who was in desperate need after a tear preriding before a race. I can't really comment in detail on the performance, but there was nothing that stood out to me good or bad other than the obvious benefits of being able to run lower pressure.

6. Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35 SS Pacestar - Ran this for a time on the Kona before it met a premature end on a really nasty rock at the Whistler EWS. Profile wise, it really looks great on the Derby rims and the edge blocks still maintain a nice angled profile. I think its a tossup between the rock razors and the ikons for a dry conditions rear tire, with the rock razor providing better cornering and the ikons better speed and durability. I have the 2.35 supergravity trailstar versions on order and am interested to try them. They may be the perfect tire for high speed rocky terrain.

7. Pacenti Neomoto 2.35 - Mikesee gave me a set with my wheelbuild on my latest set of Derbys. I liked them more than I expected, but the sidewalls are much too flimsy for my riding stile. The profile looks good on the Derbys. I haven't torn them yet, but probably won't use them much.

8. Schwalbe Thunderburt 2.1 Snakeskin - My XC race tires. I've run them on both WTB i25 and Derby rims. These are small tires on the Derby's for sure, but I really didn't notice any performance differences between the two rims mostly because I'm just using them to race short track so its just high speed straightaways and CX style corners (meaning little chance to really test out the edge control). But it is good to know that you can run a small tire on the Derbys ok even tough I think 2.3 and up is where these rims really shine.

9. Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Super Gravity Trailstar - Just got these in the mail yesterday and aired one up last night. It will be a few weeks before I can ride it due to knee surgery, but man is that a beast of a tire. The super gravity is a HUGE step up in sidewall thickness over any other non-dh casing I have seen. I'm not worried about the casing durability now, but we'll have to see on the tread. On the derby's its definitely a squarer profile as shown in the Enduro MTB review of the 741s, but they seemed to really like it and I'll withhold judgment till I get some ride time.

Bottom line for me, the best tires I have used on the Derby rims so far are:

1. Maxxis Ikon 2.35
    2. Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35
    3. Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    4. Maxxis Minion 2.3 - But I would sooooo love to see a 2.4 or 2.5.

Tires I want to try are:
    1. Vigilante
    2. Minion DHR II

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post

Bottom line for me, the best tires I have used on the Derby rims so far are:

1. Maxxis Ikon 2.35
    2. Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35
    3. Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    4. Maxxis Minion 2.3 - But I would sooooo love to see a 2.4 or 2.5.

Tires I want to try are:
    1. Vigilante
    2. Minion DHR II
    I would suggest trying the Bontrager XR4 2.35 Team, i will likely switch to the ikon out back once im sure we wont be getting anymore rain as this is my goto tire for a long while. Im really liking the XR4 since switching to it out front on my 26" sl-r and have recomfirmed my luv of its large volume, round profile on the 741s front and back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I know this is a tire thread, but I've got a set of 941s showing up next week and I'm super pumped. Anyone care to share set-up tips or experience, like how much Stan's sealant to use, and any other hard earned, or easy lessons?

Thanks!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Tires I want to try are:
    1. Vigilante
    2. Minion DHR II
    For my North East riding, the Vigilante is a sweet front tire. It is big and grippy and corners well, it does a pretty good job even on leaves and snow. I highly recommend. The only disadvantage is how little room there is left under the brace of my Vengeance.

mtbr member
    OK that's a fail for me for the Specialized Purgatory 2.3 GRID as a rear tire on the 741's. Tear in the sidewall within 30 seconds of leaving the house and rolling down through the bush reserve. A little rocky but not overly so. First tire damage ever on that section of trail.

The Purgatory on the front seems to be working ok, but I will probably remove it, keep as a spare and try another combo. Have some Maxxis and Schwalbe pairings in mind.

banned
    Feb 2012
    OK that's a fail for me for the Specialized Purgatory 2.3 GRID as a rear tire on the 741's. Tear in the sidewall within 30 seconds of leaving the house and rolling down through the bush reserve. A little rocky but not overly so. First tire damage ever on that section of trail.

The Purgatory on the front seems to be working ok, but I will probably remove it, keep as a spare and try another combo. Have some Maxxis and Schwalbe pairings in mind.
    I tore a big hole in Butcher Control on "nothing", JRA. Flimsy sidewalls are flimsy.

mtbr member

Thanks guys. Was considering giving some Grids a go, but I'll spend that Ben Franklin elsewhere.

mtbr member
    The control versions I'm lucky if they last a week before tearing a sidewall. I have yet to tear a grid version though and I ride some pretty rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Back on the HD I ran a Specialized Captain on the rear with the Armadillo Elite sidewalls. I never had a problem with it. Prior to that I tore the ass out of the sidewall of a Control version of the Captain within a couple of rides.

The new GRID seems to be nowhere near what Armadillo was in terms of sidewall protection. Not worth the hassle IMO.

mtbr member

Onza Canis 2.25

Put a set of Canis on yesterday, was a toss-up between them and the RR.
    Have use RR on many occasion but never on the 741's, So I decided to give the Canis a try since they are totally new to me .

Bit disappointed with the width ... they are exactly the claimed 2.25.

was hoping they would be larger in volume with the wide rims. Non the less they have a nice rounded profile.

Can only ride over the weekend so will see how well they preform compared to the RR I am used to.
    Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_1071.jpgIbis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_1072.jpg

All bike, all the time
    What do these puppies weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    Put a set of Canis on yesterday, was a toss-up between them and the RR.
    Have use RR on many occasion but never on the 741's, So I decided to give the Canis a try since they are totally new to me .

Bit disappointed with the width ... they are exactly the claimed 2.25.

was hoping they would be larger in volume with the wide rims. Non the less they have a nice rounded profile.

Can only ride over the weekend so will see how well they preform compared to the RR I am used to.

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	957597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	957598
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    They came in 625g

All bike, all the time
    Great, thanks, will look forward to your reporting back....
    All bike, all the time

Dude...
    Anyone running the WTB Vigilante TCS? Looks like a decent tire. Sorry if someone already posted about these but didn't feel like reading through the thread again.

mtbr member
    Im running the Vigilante on Derby rims, good profile on the tread and great tires for the rocky loose terrain I ride.

mtbr member

I have one on. A 2.35 and on the rim it measures 2.45. I had one ride on it and then fractured my arm... Not the tires fault .

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421989597.484021.jpgIbis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-imageuploadedbytapatalk1421989621.666087.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    appears that JKW runs the vigilantes.

Dude...
    They look to be a decent option. I'll at least be putting one on the front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How did the Vigilantes mount on the rim. WTB is totally into the ETRTO TCS standards and Stans goes out of their way to say that they are not compatible with Stans rims. Derbys rely on largely the same principle as Stans in that they have a slightly oversized rim diameter to ensure a tight bead fit. I broke a set of Enves trying to mount a TCS mutano raptor a few years ago.

mtbr member

Did not find them to difficult to mount.... have not tried taking them off yet...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are u all mounting totally by hand? I needed a little delicate help with a plastic tire lever...

mtbr member
    No problem mounting Vigilantes on my Derbys. I can mount them by hand and use a compressor/soapy water to seat the bead. Breaking them loose isn't too bad, takes some pressure to get the bead loose.

I'd like to try a WTB breakout as a rear tire with the Vigilante on the front but waiting to see some reviews of it. If you didn't see the WTB "Ask us anything" thread on Pinkbike the other day the WTB folks indicated they are working on tires for wider rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    Are u all mounting totally by hand? I needed a little delicate help with a plastic tire lever...
    Just mounting by hand, using some detergent on the inside of the bead to make it easier to slide over the last part of the rim. My floor pump is busted atm, so use a compressor to seat the tire which is easier anyway. To remove tires, just using one broad plastic tire lever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Other than speculation, has anyone tried the Trail Kings yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbek View Post
    Other than speculation, has anyone tried the Trail Kings yet?
    good question as I love my TK 2.2 (trail) and 2.4 (DH bike) and just ordered a derbie rim so I'll find out hopefully soon... I've read on mtbr some people claiming they didn't work, while others said they worked just fine. go figure...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh cool, let me/us know once you're rolling!

mtbr member
    Gotta say... am seriously lovin these wheels!

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-loving-741-ibis-wheels-digitalhippie-800.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ordered a 2.3 Vigilante & 2.2 Wolverine combo, will set them up this weekend and let everyone know how they do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Running WTB Wolverines on Ibis 741 Rims

Since the trails in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are mainly hard-pack, loose over hard-pack, sand or rock, I chose to run the WTB Wolverines - 2.2 on the Ibis 741 rims. Mounted width is 2.31 inches @ 25 psi.

The bike shop that assembled the HD3 said that the tires were a tight fit. But, that they did not have any problems mounting them tubeless or getting them to seat and seal. It took the bike out on a 8 mile ride, four hours after the tires were mounted.

On the shakedown ride, I did not have any issues and was able to set a few new personal records on a cross-country trail. I have yet to ride the bike on the more technical trails like Big Cedar, Northshore or Samson. Soon...

Here are a few pics...

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_0016.jpg

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_0017.jpg

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_0018.jpg

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-img_0019.jpg

meh
    Thought I might be the only one rolling 741's in DFW. Running 2.4 MKII's on mine as thats what the build came with, probably going to switch them out, at least the rear, not really a big fan of them so far.

mtbr member

Anyone using a honey badger on these wheels ? Would love to see the profile

banned
    Feb 2012
    Edit: I made a mistake in my original post.

mtbr member

Thank you...

banned
    Feb 2012
    Ugh, now that I am looking at the picture, this was not on my Derby rim, this was on a narrower LB rim. Sorry for the confusion!

mtbr member

I also see that now.
    I'll try get my hands on one over the weekend and mount it. Hope it really volumes out with a wide rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got the Vigilante and Wolverine mounted up today. Super easy, no drama, even with a floor pump. My bike looks super fat now, riding tomorrow!

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-tumblr_nj2fqzoqmh1qicta3o1_1280.jpg

mtbr member

Zatoichi and Clewttu, I grew up in Big D, been in Austin for a while but know your trails, and been on derby's since the first batch. Y'all should consider Ardent 2.25 rear, same or 2.4 front, Mavic cross roc roam 2.2 or Ikon rear. And unless you're a BIG boy you can go lower than 25psi rear. I'm 170 RTR and running 2.2 at 22 psi with some margin for error in Austin's rockiest.

mtbr member
    Zatoichi and Clewttu, I grew up in Big D, been in Austin for a while but know your trails, and been on derby's since the first batch. Y'all should consider Ardent 2.25 rear, same or 2.4 front, Mavic cross roc roam 2.2 or Ikon rear. And unless you're a BIG boy you can go lower than 25psi rear. I'm 170 RTR and running 2.2 at 22 psi with some margin for error in Austin's rockiest.
    How would you rate the Ardent combo on the Gnar scale? i.e. best suited to light Gnar (green, XC terrain), medium Gnar (blue/black, AM terrain) or heavy Gnar trails (black, AM/DH terrain)? Guessing medium-ish, which is what I'm kinda looking for.

Have Ikon on the rear ATM, surprised by how good it's been TBH. I'd kinda rate it as a light gnar rear tire. For ride anywhere versatility I'd prefer something more aggressive on the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How would you rate the Ardent combo on the Gnar scale? i.e. best suited to light Gnar (green, XC terrain), medium Gnar (blue/black, AM terrain) or heavy Gnar trails (black, AM/DH terrain)? Guessing medium-ish, which is what I'm kinda looking for.

Have Ikon on the rear ATM, surprised by how good it's been TBH. I'd kinda rate it as a light gnar rear tire. For ride anywhere versatility I'd prefer something more aggressive on the rear.
    I like the way you categorized things. I'm presently working on a light gnar wheelset...thinking of trying Ikon 2.35 front or Ikon 2.2 front and Ardent Race rear (maybe Ardent race front due to big side knobs...not sure). In this case I'm looking for a really lightweight set-up. Seems I keep reading that the Ardent ain't great as a heavy gnar tire (grip and braking not all that great). This is just from reading about it. The medium gnar category I usually end up with a heavy gnar front tire and a lighter weight but more aggressive rear (maybe new NN, Slaughter, or thinking about the XR3). A bit more bulk but still good rolling.

I have a 2.25 Ardent sitting in my garage unused. I too would like some input as to where/how to best utilize it best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    is anyone running the 741's on a mojo hd? wondering what it does to the minimal cleaance.
    also wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade for this frame as the largest rear tire to fit is 2.25.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The 26" bike that I was riding prior to the HD3 was fitted with the 2.2 Ardent Race 3C Exo. I had good luck with these, so I was planning to order an Ardent Race for the front and possibly an Ikon for the rear on the HD3 and 741 rims. But, the LBS that built the bike for me had the Wolverines for $45 per tire so I thought that I'd give them a try.

I weigh around 230 geared up. So I chose 25 PSI to be safe. I may drop the pressure down a bit.

The Wolverines really performed well today at Northshore. I dropped down into a rut on a speedy decline and was afraid that the front would wash out when I climbed up the side of the rut. Maybe I got lucky, but the side lugs got me out of the rut at speed...

Once these tires wear out, I may try the Maxxis tires again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

All bike, all the time
    I've found with most tires that if you simply hold the bead in place once you get it to the spot where it's almost seated, the rubber will stretch and eventually snap onto the rim with minimal coaxing. But you do have to be patient. I'm talking 5-10 minutes in most cases. The advantage is no mess, goop, soap, etc. Another trick is to simply warm the tire in hot water. But you gotta hustle it onto the rim, it cools down fast.

Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member

I would definitely put the Ardent in the medium category, which is plenty for 95% of DFW riding, and I think it could work well as a rear under heavier conditions too. The 2.25 is my current GoTo rear tire.....just about ideal blend of grip, rolling speed, volume, durability, and weight. Oh, btw all my comments are about EXO....can't use std casings around here. I've been really impressed with how well they stick to greasy muddy rocks...flip side, we've had nice rain so they are not being put to the test in blown out dry conditions, which will return way too soon, I'm sure. Something with deeper lugs may be better then. Generally speaking with the wide rims I've become less focused on finding the hardest cornering tread because the big footprint and low pressures add so much grip anyway....I like a wee bit of useful driftiness, just for fun. I suspect, and others have mentioned on here, that the DHF is way too much rear tire for most situations, but it's super confident and verstatile on the front. I think these would be some good combos:
    Light:
    Ikon EXO R / Ardent EXO F for hardpack
    Mid:
    Ardent EXO 2.25 R / 2.4 F if it's a little looser or more mud
    I'm not fully decided on the heavy gnar setup yet....DHF sticks everywhere and holds up well but isn't very big and you find the edges a little early if you're leaning it over aggressively. Goma 2.4 is like butta in rock gardens with endless volume and grip, but it doesn't stick on a rail like a DHF will in kitty litter....its BIG but feels pretty quick and lively. Still haven't tried a HR2 but it gets high praise so I'm looking forward to it. I could see a HR2 2.4 F / Ardent 2.4 R being a great combo when things get really wild and loose, but the 2.4 won't fit in the back of my HDR and I'm going to keep rolling the current Goma a bit longer up front.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    The 26" bike that I was riding prior to the HD3 was fitted with the 2.2 Ardent Race 3C Exo. I had good luck with these, so I was planning to order an Ardent Race for the front and possibly an Ikon for the rear on the HD3 and 741 rims. But, the LBS that built the bike for me had the Wolverines for $45 per tire so I thought that I'd give them a try.

I weigh around 230 geared up. So I chose 25 PSI to be safe. I may drop the pressure down a bit.

The Wolverines really performed well today at Northshore. I dropped down into a rut on a speedy decline and was afraid that the front would wash out when I climbed up the side of the rut. Maybe I got lucky, but the side lugs got me out of the rut at speed...

Once these tires wear out, I may try the Maxxis tires again.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Your Wolverines look and sound pretty darn good. I could imagine them working great in n tx conditions.
    Ardent Race may be the better/faster front to pair with an Ikon for light gnar/XC. I wanted to say that but I can't in good conscience recommend something I haven't ridden. It also gets recommended as a fast rolling rear paired with an aggressive front tire for chunkier terrain.
    Not sure what happened, but I guess I've become a Maxxis convert.
    You're probably spot on at 25psi rear unless you put a really high volume tire on. I cracked one rear rim (NOT an Ibis) riding kinda stupid fast in rocks w 20psi in a 2.2 Mavic Roam, which is admittedly a low volume tire (Also a GREAT rear tire if you need something smaller, like in a converted 26" frame, or just want something fast as Bawlz that will still corner hard...LUV'd that tire...come to think of it, you're WTB's may be kinda like a larger volume version...Hmmmm.... ).
    Thankfully I can run a fatter rear now, and I've still got mind blowing traction at 22, so I'm calling it good.
    Damn, remember having to run 40psi in 26" tube tires to avoid pinch flatting??? We just THOUGHT we were having fun, I guess, cuz to do it now would SUCK.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    is anyone running the 741's on a mojo hd? wondering what it does to the minimal cleaance.
    also wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade for this frame as the largest rear tire to fit is 2.25.
    My Derby's started out on a Mojo SL. In short HELL YES it's a worthy upgrade for your HD....even more so because you'll gain free tire volume that you can't achieve by just putting a bigger tire on due to clearance limitations. 741's with a Mavic Cross Roc Roam 2.25.....seriously....you'll thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    Another trick is to simply warm the tire in hot water. But you gotta hustle it onto the rim, it cools down fast.
    My wife will pimp slap me once and for all if she comes home to find me giving my new tires a warm bath in the tub.

mtbr member
    I would definitely put the Ardent in the medium category, which is plenty for 95% of DFW riding, and I think it could work well as a rear under heavier conditions too. The 2.25 is my current GoTo rear tire.....just about ideal blend of grip, rolling speed, volume, durability, and weight. Oh, btw all my comments are about EXO....can't use std casings around here. I've been really impressed with how well they stick to greasy muddy rocks...flip side, we've had nice rain so they are not being put to the test in blown out dry conditions, which will return way too soon, I'm sure. Something with deeper lugs may be better then. Generally speaking with the wide rims I've become less focused on finding the hardest cornering tread because the big footprint and low pressures add so much grip anyway....I like a wee bit of useful driftiness, just for fun. I suspect, and others have mentioned on here, that the DHF is way too much rear tire for most situations, but it's super confident and verstatile on the front. I think these would be some good combos:
    Light:
    Ikon EXO R / Ardent EXO F for hardpack
    Mid:
    Ardent EXO 2.25 R / 2.4 F if it's a little looser or more mud
    I'm not fully decided on the heavy gnar setup yet....DHF sticks everywhere and holds up well but isn't very big and you find the edges a little early if you're leaning it over aggressively. Goma 2.4 is like butta in rock gardens with endless volume and grip, but it doesn't stick on a rail like a DHF will in kitty litter....its BIG but feels pretty quick and lively. Still haven't tried a HR2 but it gets high praise so I'm looking forward to it. I could see a HR2 2.4 F / Ardent 2.4 R being a great combo when things get really wild and loose, but the 2.4 won't fit in the back of my HDR and I'm going to keep rolling the current Goma a bit longer up front.
    Thanks, great info!

Interestingly Jared Graves ran an Ikon as a rear tire at last weekend's enduro event, which he won (but also apparently flatted in the last stage). That impresses me as I lived and worked up in those mountains all of last Summer and wouldn't have imagined running an Ikon as a rear tire in that terrain - pretty sharp and rocky in places.

I've had a few more rides on the Ikon as a rear tire on the 741 (@20psi, I weigh ~70kg, with a Purgatory 2.3 GRID 2.3 front @19psi) and have to say I've been super impressed by the Ikon's performance. Given the minimal tread, I guess a fair chunk of the unexpected cornering grip comes down to wide rim/low pressure magic, and the sidewalls seem to be able to take a beating. It's really given me something to think about as I ran the Rock Razor as a rear tire all of last year and really enjoyed it (and have it on my list to try on the 741's as a medium gnar rear) - but perhaps less can really be more with the wider rims.

mtbr member
    FWIW pretty cool interview with Jerome Clementz, interesting that he typically runs fairly low tire pressures considering where and how those guys ride: 25psi rear, 22psi front.
    The Jerome Clementz Interview - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

OriginalDonk
    He also tells Vital that he really only runs two ply tires. Give him the confidence to take the fastest line regardless of what's in his way. I imagine that helps him get away with 22 front/25 rear. Wonder how he'll do on Michelins this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Curious if anyone has run a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent on a 741 rim? I'm going to be riding mostly in the Okanagan this year and the conditions there are pretty dry. I'm looking for a faster rolling rear tire.

mtbr member
    Another semi slick rear tire option. This'll be one to test on the 741's!

Spotted: Prototype Maxxis Minion Semi-Slick Tire - Pinkbike

Ibis 741 & 941 Rim and Tire Combos-p4pb11878149.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Name:	p4pb11878149.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	961664
    No doubt. Looks a little rounder which might be better for wider ID rims. Less "mohawk" effect maybe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Name:	p4pb11878149.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	961664
    That looks like a stellar tire to try here in Austin! Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Curious if anyone has run a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent on a 741 rim? I'm going to be riding mostly in the Okanagan this year and the conditions there are pretty dry. I'm looking for a faster rolling rear tire.
    Uhhhhh.... You should read the preceding posts on this page... Ardent 2.25 is discussed in some detail.
    Okanagan valley is awesome! I haven't ridden the Ardent yet in that type of dry dusty terrain, but will be doing just that in a couple months. It's definitely a pretty good roller, but I think I'd want something with more cornering bite on the front end in deep loose-over-hard like you've got... other than that, I consider it a top choice all-rounder, especially on the rear, and it's got a great shape on the 40mm rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Uhhhhh.... You should read the preceding posts on this page... Ardent 2.25 is discussed in some detail.
    Okanagan valley is awesome! I haven't ridden the Ardent yet in that type of dry dusty terrain, but will be doing just that in a couple months. It's definitely a pretty good roller, but I think I'd want something with more cornering bite on the front end in deep loose-over-hard like you've got... other than that, I consider it a top choice all-rounder, especially on the rear, and it's got a great shape on the 40mm rims.
    Yeah, I should have read the thread a bit more before posting. I just skimmed the first page.

Sounds like an Ardent 2.25 rear and a DHF 2.3 front would be a good combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    bump
    Last edited by zepper; 08-20-2015 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Be careful running psi that low. I was running 15psi and my rear hit a square edged rock and cracked my 741. Ibis charges 250.00 for a replacement wheel. I'm back up to running 24psi.... Lesson learned!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast