mtbr member

How much difference does the 2010 lower link make?

I think the 3 month saga that has been my Mojo purchase is finally coming to a close, but I do have one last thing that I want to figure out.

One issue was that my Mojo was shipped to me with the wrong colored links and, being vain, I asked to swap for the right color. When comparing the replacement lower link that finally arrived to the one that came on the bike I noticed the one the bike came with has much larger flanges on the non-drive side. It's not a huge change, but it must've been done for a reason.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried both the new and the old and can comment on whether or not the new style makes any noticeable difference. If the difference is minimal I'll just toss the replacement on and finally ride this thing. If there's a big difference, I may wait and try to get a proper replacement.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I was unaware of any change.... probably need Hans or Chuck to chime in.

Founder: Dirty3hirties

The cat is out of the bag

I don't have one but know there's a new Mojo lower link in the works. I was not going to be the first to mention it but as I said.....the news is out. It was explained to me that through the development of the HD, they applied what they learned to creating this new link. Naturally we are going to assume it's a performance enhancement or why bother? However, I was not told exactly what. It could be longevity, increased lateral stiffness, etc or maybe both. Or maybe the fit wasn't as good. Who knows? I would guess it's performance though.

I'm super stoked that Ibis would do something like this. They definitely didn't have to but their constant strive to improve on their product(s) is admirable.
    Last edited by ddraewwg; 08-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Maybe it uses bigger angular contact bearings

aka dan51
    The bearings look to be the same. The OP has both and can take a look to see if the bearing size is different. Bigger bearings would require different mounting hardware (longer bolts). I can't imagine they'd redesign it to the point that you'd have to get new bolts too, unless the new link comes with new bolts.
    It's been shipping on bikes for a few (2-3) months now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It's got a bit more metal on the non-drive side. Probably stiffer and stronger, though I've never had a complaint with the original. In the photo I flipped the old link over to fit it in tight. The profile change you see is the only obvious change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much difference does the 2010 lower link make?-newlink.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Self Cleaning

Does the new link have a larger gap between itself and the rear triangle? I have had plenty of problems with mud and pine sap being trapped in that gap and gouging the rear triangle. Which is probably not a real problem as there seems to be a lot of epoxy there as the weave cannot be seen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For what it is worth. I broke a rear lower link recently, Ibis as always was super quick to send me a new one, gotta love that about them. Not long after that I began feeling a lot more lateral flex in my Mojo than I ever had before, eventually the rear tire started rubbing, it was a Nevgal 235. A lot of tire yes, to much....no. Anyway I traced the proble down to a stripped out mount on the upper (lopes) link. The only problem was that by the time I figuired it all out I had destroyed the rear tri. I wasa fourced to buy a new one in spite of the fact that my bike had only been in service for 19 months. Upon swapping out the new rear tri I saw that most of the bearings in both upper and lower links needed replacing as the failure on the one mount must have weakened or compromised the entire swingarm section, or portion. Obviously I love the bike and am spending the money on the new rear tri, and all of the bearings (well over 300.00). But...........I guess what I am trying to say, is this. If it feels wrong stop and check it out. Take it apart and figure it out because it will end up costing lots of $ in the long run. As previously stated I did spend the $ and reserect, but I also bought a Titus El Guapo Frame/shock and built a burlier bike as the Mojo (for me) has proven to be a bit fragile. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it has it's place. In fact I will take all of the blame and say I attempted to build the HD before it was available with my burly build on the regular Mojo, however the weak link was the rear (upper, and lower) links.
    Just my .02

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I believe the gap may be larger. Hard to tell. My old link was an original which had been ground by the factory to fit. The new one does not need that. Of course bigger gap means bigger stuff gets caught. Just put a mud flap over that gap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here is a quoting from Scot about similar problem Ive to put them:

"As for the wear, that is no problem, there is a ton of material there and nearly impossible to wear through that area. If you get a new lower link, they will have a tiny bit more clearance, and you won't see this kind of wear as much.
    Scot"

Members who have read this thread: 0