Horrible sound on Ibis Ripmo (video)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Horrible sound on Ibis Ripmo (video)

Can anyone tell me what is causing this horrible creaking sound?

It makes this sound if I bob up and down on the bike or grab the rear wheel and push it side to side. It even makes this sound with the shock, chain, and crank removed (while pushing/pulling on the wheel) so it canít be related to any of those parts or the BB. However, just cycling the suspension up and down with the shock removed doesn't make any sounds.

I took out the lower link bolts and put Slick Honey on/torqued them per Ibis, the clevis was just replaced by Ibis because it was damaged (was making the sound beforehand as well), what else could it be? Everything has only ~250 miles on it.

https://youtu.be/9B9k5GnjPWo

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No idea, maybe remove the shock and cycle the rear suspension. Possibly the lower link bushing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    No idea, maybe remove the shock and cycle the rear suspension. Possibly the lower link bushing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I did remove the shock and cycle it and thereís no noise but if I grab the rear wheel and move it back and forth I get the noise. So I guess that means it isnít the shock or shock mounting hardware. I pulled the lower link bolts and put slick honey on them but I didnít pull the bushings. I guess thatís next...

screamer
    How about rear axle and/or cassette/driver interface? Have you greased them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That "clunk" clearly sounds like something is not installed correctly or is loose vs. cleaning and lubing pivots, etc... Double check the bushings for the shock at both the upper mount and clevis. Then check the clevis to the seat stays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Updateóif I remove the rear shock, clevis, derailleur and hangar, rear wheel, and wiggle the rear triangle I get the noise so Iím pretty sure itís one of the links or the rear triangle itself. I donít have the tools to remove the bushings or a narrow enough hex wrench (I have five 6mm hex tools but none fit in that space) to take the upper link out but I guess thatís next.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Updateóit was the left inner upper link bolt. Thought it couldnít be that since the sound went away with the shock removed when cycling the suspension. But I guess the shocks load on the link brought it out.

I had at least five 5mm hex tools but no L shaped ones to access that tight area. I would have bought them to try earlier but was convinced it wasnít the link as the sound went away with the shock removed.

mtbr member
    Congrats on finding it. Can you use a hacksaw to make a custom sized allen? Maybe cut a small straight section of allen long enough to fit in the bolt head and use a small wrench to turn the allen. I've got quite a few 'special' allen wrenches kicking around...lol!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Congrats on finding it. Can you use a hacksaw to make a custom sized allen? Maybe cut a small straight section of allen long enough to fit in the bolt head and use a small wrench to turn the allen. I've got quite a few 'special' allen wrenches kicking around...lol!
    I bought some L-shaped ones. Half a turn on the inner left upper link bolt and it went away. I had hex sockets, multi tools, two of the 3-way tools, and none fit but now I'm set for everything!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Glad you found it. I'm new to Ibis with a Ripley and wondering if the pivot torques are something that needs to be checked regularly or is this an outlier and perhaps not torqued properly at Ibis?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
    Glad you found it. I'm new to Ibis with a Ripley and wondering if the pivot torques are something that needs to be checked regularly or is this an outlier and perhaps not torqued properly at Ibis?
    Probably a fluke. Properly torqued shouldnít need maintenance but probably a good idea to check periodically especially if the bike is making noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ya, I just noticed a bit of noise on today's ride and all pivots were tight except the one you noted above...not real loose but perhaps enough.