Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hey Ibis/MRP How About a Dual Ring Chain Guide for the Mojo and Mojo HD?

Whats the biggest problem with the current options available on the market for dual ring chain guides that work with the Mojo and Mojo HD? They move! With out ISCG tabs the bottom bracket mounted ones just won't stay in place.

If you can make a single ring guide that mounts to bottom bracket and lower link, why not a dual ring guide that mounts to the lower link?

I would buy one. I'm sure others would too. I have to ride my Mojo up the hill before I can go down.

Thank you.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mojobeer
    Whats the biggest problem with the current options available on the market for dual ring chain guides that work with the Mojo and Mojo HD? They move! With out ISCG tabs the bottom bracket mounted ones just won't stay in place.

If you can make a single ring guide that mounts to bottom bracket and lower link, why not a dual ring guide that mounts to the lower link?

I would buy one. I'm sure others would too. I have to ride my Mojo up the hill before I can go down.

Thank you.
    +1 I'm second in line to get one.

mtbr member
    I'd get one too!... and then I'd get a Mojo HD as well

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thank you.
    You really shouldn't have a huge problem keeping a BB mounted guide from moving unless you are absolutely hammering the guide into the ground over and over and over with absolutely no maintenance. When I owned e*thirteen we won a lot of World Cup downhills using BB mounted guides. Of course I am a proponent of ISCG05 mounting, but BB mounting is not THAT bad.. I've run an LG1+ on my HD since I got it, and we've bolted up DRS guides, Heim 2's etc..

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

meh
    i believe hans said (a while back whn discussing the single ring guide) they are working on a dual ring guide that also mounts to the link

mtbr member

Well

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    You really shouldn't have a huge problem keeping a BB mounted guide from moving unless you are absolutely hammering the guide into the ground over and over and over with absolutely no maintenance. When I owned e*thirteen we won a lot of World Cup downhills using BB mounted guides. Of course I am a proponent of ISCG05 mounting, but BB mounting is not THAT bad.. I've run an LG1+ on my HD since I got it, and we've bolted up DRS guides, Heim 2's etc..

Dave
    Well I should qualify that my experience has been with a black spire stinger. Also it rarely moved when hammering downhill. My problem was with technical moves like logs or rock step ups. The stinger would catch and the whole of my weight would be resting on it and act as a lever causing the stinger to move.

Others on threads on this forum share similar experiences. I have not tried the e13 heim 2. It appears to be a better design with the bend shape and tab that sticks up preventing the chain from grinding into the chain stay. Too bad it's not available as just the guide as I already have the turbocharger bash.

The relatively low drive side chainstay on th mojo makes it hard to tuck the stinger up high enough behind the bash to keep it from hitting.

Good to hear Ibis is working on it hope it comes out soon. It would be the last piece to make my bike absolute perfection and worry free.

aka dan51
    Well I should qualify that my experience has been with a black spire stinger. Also it rarely moved when hammering downhill. My problem was with technical moves like logs or rock step ups. The stinger would catch and the whole of my weight would be resting on it and act as a lever causing the stinger to move.

Others on threads on this forum share similar experiences. I have not tried the e13 heim 2. It appears to be a better design with the bend shape and tab that sticks up preventing the chain from grinding into the chain stay. Too bad it's not available as just the guide as I already have the turbocharger bash.

The relatively low drive side chainstay on th mojo makes it hard to tuck the stinger up high enough behind the bash to keep it from hitting.

Good to hear Ibis is working on it hope it comes out soon. It would be the last piece to make my bike absolute perfection and worry free.
    I have an e13 DS on my HD, and it moves when going over big logs. I've got the BB cranked down pretty good too. Normal trail riding never causes it to move though.

I have the old Heim on my regular Mojo, and it moves when going over logs too. That tab on the Heim2 won't prevent the chain from rubbing. The chain will run on the larger part of the roller when in granny gear. The tab would need to be about 1/4" taller.

Once in a while I've got to turn the bikes over and move the guides back into proper position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just emailed MRP about this. Hoping there is a solution, because NO, a BB mount isn't that good. My DRS sticks out further than my bash, and swings into my chainstay every time I roll over something technical. I'd love to see a Mini-G with a taco-style bash and a dual ring roller with no guide on top. For a bike such as the Mojo HD, I would have thought that a dual ring guide would have been made BEFORE a single ring guide. I bet the majority of Mojo HD riders are running 2 rings.

mtbr member
    while you're at it, an updated SL version of the single ring Mini G would be appreciated too!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    An LRP-like design is hampered by the position of the chainstay on the SL and HD (and a quite a few other designs too; VPP, Maestro, CVA, etc.). Dropped chainstays don't allow the roller to be clocked in a position to provide enough tension on the chain, especially in the small ring, sufficient to be an advantage and not a hindrance. That's the conundrum.

I wouldn't completely write it off however, we are working on some promising new technologies....

Cheers
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 01-04-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw

Dave

How did MRP manage to get the gig for the HD's custom chain guide? Must have taken your eye off the ball there....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison
    For a bike such as the Mojo HD, I would have thought that a dual ring guide would have been made BEFORE a single ring guide. I bet the majority of Mojo HD riders are running 2 rings.
    totally agree. I too would like one and waiting for one before getting any chain guide for my Mojo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge
    How did MRP manage to get the gig for the HD's custom chain guide? Must have taken your eye off the ball there....

Lopes has been sponsored by MRP for centuries

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper
    Lopes has been sponsored by MRP for centuries
    _dw was/is the founder of e13 AND is the DW behind DW_link.
    It would seem fitting that the guy who helped design the frame would also be first in line to make a custom chain guide.

No dabs.
    I emailed Hans about getting a bolted on dual ring chain guide after another day of frustration riding some extremely technical terrain with big rock and log step ups. I had to do this two or three times during the one ride:

His response - and I don't think he would mind me quoting - was: "... there are a fair number of requests and it should be easy to do a double so we probably will in the near future." Definitely let him know your desires with an email though (if he doesn't chime in here), as the more that will appear to be sold, the more likely it is to be made.

mtbr member
    Fo Sho... I'd buy one too.

Man, that picture makes me cringe!

mtbr member
    I'd buy one, too. Currently I am running a DRS,and like the others said the issue is technical climbs including logs and ledges.

NoahColorado brings up a good point: The chain tensioner only works in the large ring. The chain doesn't even touch the roler in when in the small ring. Not an issue, though. I am not losing the chain on climbs.If anything I am suffering chain suck and hence would need a device combining a tensioner for the big ring and a 'disengager' for the small ring.

All fixed to the frame, please.

(Oh, and I am not considering nor recommending any Mojo unless I know the issue is solved. What is worse... my buddies have seen me now too often fixing a chain suck or with a rotated chain tensioner.)
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    NoahColorado brings up a good point: The chain tensioner only works in the large ring. The chain doesn't even touch the roler in when in the small ring.
    That's because the stepped roller is patented by e13. That's why their DRS guide is the best 2-ring guide available.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I'm somewhere in this long line too.

Count me as a dissapointed stinger user that had to take it off. More chain drops suck, but are better than a stinger stuck in the stays. Even the fractured rib as a result of a dropped chain wasn't as bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lelandjt makes a good point on the e13 ones. Very happy with the Heim 2 on my HD

mtbr member
    I'd be in for a double chainring guide if it is fixed to the frame. I ran a stinger for awhile until I got tired of it getting moved into the chainstay when it took a hit. I switched to a medium cage rear derailleur to shorten my chain, but I still throw my chain. I thought without ISCG tabs running a guide would be hopeless, but the single ring guide that uses the link bolt shows that a guide that doesn't move is possible. Ibis/MRP need to build a guide for a double.

mtbr member
    How about a BB to ISCG adapter with a little extension to securely fix it to the frame. Just like the custom mojo/MRP backplate, but with ISCG tabs. That should open some possibilities. Here's a rough sketch of what I mean. Please excuse my acad skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by younior
    How about a BB to ISCG adapter with a little extension to securely fix it to the frame. Just like the custom mojo/MRP backplate, but with ISCG tabs. That should open some possibilities. Here's a rough sketch of what I mean. Please excuse my acad skills.
    fan-fking-tastic idea!

bike rider
    From Ibis:
    "ISCG COMPATIBILITY
    The Mojo HD is not ISCG compatible because the upper ISCG bolt interferes with the lower link.
    "

Your adapter couldn't have the hole either clocked correctly, or dished correctly. Personally I think Ibis should have tried to accommodate one of the ISCG sizes. One of the cool things about carbon frames is you can REALLY reinforce the tabs and make a frame that's actually designed for taco guards.

Having said that (I love Curb), I get that they don't want to compromise their design, and why should they when their MRP guide works better than ISCG? So Ibis/MRP, hurry up and release a double guide to quiet any criticism.

Also, why doesn't DW get e13 to make an Ibis backplate for the DRS/SRS/LG1?
    Keep the Country country.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Not only does the upper ISCG bolt interfere with the pivot, but the dropped chainstay interferes with guide placement. Our Ibis specific guides differ from their standard counterparts in angle as well as having the additional pivot bolt mount. That too would probably make an ISCG adapter troublesome at best.

Last edited by NoahColorado; 01-04-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wanted to keep this thread from fading as we all wait patiently for a dual ring HD guide....
    Any updates from Ibis or MRP are appreciated!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I know this may be slightly OT but... I run the dual saint rings w/bashguard on my SL, is there a compatible chainguide for this setup? I've ben dropping my chain 1-2x/ride and its getting old.

mtbr member
    So it looks like the problem has been getting roller close enough to the inner chainring to provide tension to the chain, and it is difficult to get a pully wheel to fit close enough to the dropped chainstay.

Has anyone explored using a stepped bushing made out of some type of stepped elastometric bushing similar to the one used in the Straitline Silent Guide?

Just an idea...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have played around with a few dual ring guides on my HD.
    And while it is still just a bottom bracket mount like all the rest, the Gamut dual ring guide has far and a way been my favorite set up with the HD. Its kinda pricey, especially compared to the blackspire, but damn the Gamut roller is crazy silent and crazy smooth. It tucks in really well, I can see the roller spinning no matter what gear I'm in, and I have been climbing up ledges and over logs with no problems in terms of movement of the guide.

mtbr member
    My stinger works pretty well, I have the BB shell torqued real, real snug and the stinger has not moved yet. Then again maybe I just haven't been hitting any big enough rocks to jar it. It used to move more often on my SL for some reason, and when it did it was real annoying. I'm totally down for the custom Ibis/MRP dual ring guide, however if its close to $150 or something outrageous like that I'll just keep my $30 stinger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I'm totally down for the custom Ibis/MRP dual ring guide, however if its close to $150 or something outrageous like that I'll just keep my $30 stinger.
    The way most of the dual ring guides that are out there are priced, I can almost guarantee its going to be over $100.
    I don't quite understand why most of these little doodads are so bloody expensive, I guess its the relatively small manufacturing quantity. When I initially bought the Gamut guide, the price made me cringe, but I have to say out on the trail that all just faded away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    I have played around with a few dual ring guides on my HD.
    And while it is still just a bottom bracket mount like all the rest, the Gamut dual ring guide has far and a way been my favorite set up with the HD.
    Trying to decide between the Gamut & Hemi 2 right now. Any experience with the Hemi 2 with the few you've tried out?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    The way most of the dual ring guides that are out there are priced, I can almost guarantee its going to be over $100.
    I don't quite understand why most of these little doodads are so bloody expensive, I guess its the relatively small manufacturing quantity. When I initially bought the Gamut guide, the price made me cringe, but I have to say out on the trail that all just faded away.

Same here - have the Gamut, and when I opened the box, I just sat there, thinking "Is that it?" Not just limited to Gamut - E13 and MRP overcharge scandalously for their products too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspec
    Trying to decide between the Gamut & Hemi 2 right now. Any experience with the Hemi 2 with the few you've tried out?
    Thanks
    I hated the Heim 2. Noisy roller, and the way the roller is mounted sucks. Plus you can only use certain chain lubes with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi 1 Week Ago 08:08 AM
    I am using 36/24 front with a ethirteen heim 2, which has been working fine. The roller design is ok, not super smooth, but it tucks in nicely and keeps the chain on and prevents it from slapping around.
    I hated the Heim 2. Noisy roller, and the way the roller is mounted sucks.
    What's the issue with how the roller is mounted?

Name:  e.13-heim2.bb.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  42.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspec
    What's the issue with how the roller is mounted?

Name:  e.13-heim2.bb.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  42.8 KB
    The roller bolt relies on friction to keep it fitted into that slot, so it is really hard to move the roller to the proper position. And it requires making sure the bolt is not too tight to allow the roller to move. There is the tiniest, softest washer mounted between the bearing and the roller mounting plate. My washer wore out and got mangled rather quickly, and made the roller movement rough.
    Also with the material they use on the roller, you are limited to some rather lame chain lubes, because otherwise the roller gets eaten away.
    I am 110% happier with the Gamut dual ring guide I replaced it with. It is super smooth, wisper quiet, and mounts ups and adjusts really easily. And I can use any chain lube I want. Better design, and much better build quality.

Austin, Texas
    R&D costs a fortune and setting up manufacturing for new technology is unbelievably expensive. I'll forget the cost as long as the end product keeps me on my bike.

MRP - still waiting...
    Austin, Texas

Commit or eat sh!t
    How about one of these Shimano Shadow Plus XTR M985 derailleurs instead of a chainguide? It is supposed to reduce chaindrops. Thinking about using it on the Mojo SL-R, which doesn't even allow the use of BB mount chainguides.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...railleur-44703

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    How about one of these Shimano Shadow Plus XTR M985 derailleurs instead of a chainguide? It is supposed to reduce chaindrops. Thinking about using it on the Mojo SL-R, which doesn't even allow the use of BB mount chainguides.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...railleur-44703
    Makes sense to me. Pretty funny to read some of the comments on that thread.

Interesting that the reviewer noticed noticeable thumb fatigue on longer rides. My first though was that you could just engage it when tacking some of the rougher sections or downhills, but it is mentioned in the review that the switch is meant to be left on while riding, with the "open" position being used for wheel installation and derailleur tuning.

Looking forward to hearing more user reports when these start trickling into the field.

-D

Austin, Texas
    My HD is ready to roll and I am pulling the Big Ring off so I can have a bash guard with 33-22 chain rings. Seriously Ibis, that's just retarded. I have a $6,000.00+ rig and I can't run a decent 2 ring chain guide system. Can't believe I didn't notice this before I bought the bike.

On the other hand, I emailed MRP and Ryan Cranston was honest and straight forward regarding my options.
    Last edited by treaty_oak@yahoo.com; 04-29-2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Austin, Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This seems to be the only recent thread on the subject of chain retention for the HD.

I have just finished my build and it is a truly awesome bike, but I have dropped the chain a few times already - after 4 rides. The trails I ride are quite fast and lots of roots so the chain does jump around alot. I am running a triple (10sp) XT chainset and rear mech with the recommended chain length. Is the chain dropping to be expected?

On a nice shiny new bike it is not nice having the chain flapping around, but having spent a small fortune it would be nice to avoid spending more cash on a chain guide if it also means removing the big ring and buying a larger middle.

I am aware of things like the Heim3 (and the earlier roller position issues in this thread), but would love to hear other HD owners thoughts on this subject?

Doing a DIY for a ride this evening...
    https://srv15.mtb-news.de/forum/show...=481453&page=9

I live in Switzerland and this is my one bike, if that helps and not fit enough for a 1x10!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After 4 months riding my bike... definitely I need a MRP chain guide allow for 2 rings... or at least a solution because with a BB mount chainguide (only the bottom part) eventually the chainguide tends to move it like ROBO SD told about it....

Please IBIS give a solution!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I need one too!

I emailed MRP and here's the response from Noah.

If you want one, email them to show that there is a demand:
    http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/contact-mrp/

-------------
    We aren't at this time developing any Ibis-specific LRP guides. The
    dropped-style chainstay found on the HD doesn't jive well with our roller
    design. Even if the guide is mounted solidly, you aren't getting much in the
    way of added chain-tension and retention.

We'll continue to look for solutions...

Thanks

NOAH SEARS
    MARKETING + ONLINE MEDIA
    MOUNTAIN RACING PRODUCTS
    http://www.facebook.com/MRPBIKE
    http://www.twitter.com/MRPBIKE
    580 N. Westgate Dr.
    Grand Junction, Colorado 81505
    t. 970.241.3518
    -------------
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I emailed them as well....

good luck to everyone!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    All I can say is....we're working on some pretty cool stuff.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Eagerly awaiting a solution!

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with.

Thanks
    enduro
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Please be fast, today itīs been my third time with the same problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This isn't a slam at all on Noah or MRP, but his post back on 12/06 says basically the exact same thing (working on promising new stuff). I only bring this up because I remember reading this same thread back in December when I bought my frame and also being excited for something soon.

It seems like the best option for the HD is either the Gamut guide or hoping there's some truth behind the Shimano marketing machine with the new XTR derailleur out next month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    This isn't a slam at all on Noah or MRP, but his post back on 12/06 says basically the exact same thing (working on promising new stuff). I only bring this up because I remember reading this same thread back in December when I bought my frame and also being excited for something soon.

It seems like the best option for the HD is either the Gamut guide or hoping there's some truth behind the Shimano marketing machine with the new XTR derailleur out next month.
    I know that people generally hate bb mounted chain guides, but my guy at the LBS swears by his on his mojo hd. I actually just pored a new thread about his gamut guide.

This seems to be the best bet by far, and it's how I'm going to be building mine up within the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to post impressions, etc
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    9:Zero:7 Al
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Gamut guide is the way to go. Quiet as hell, smooth, and it works.

mtbr member
    The whole missing ISCG05 chainguide thing is EXACTLY why I don't have a MOJO HD right now. If they could figure out ISCG05 on the Nomad and on the Firebird - why not the mojo? I really want one, but....

PS - also because I prefer a 1.5 headtube for all the options it offers but not a killer deal.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well I guess I don't think ISCG05 is that big of a deal...but hey no bike is perfect so find the one with least amount of compromises for what you're looking to use it for and go forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Gamut guide is the way to go. Quiet as hell, smooth, and it works.
    Could somebody post a pic of that gamut bb guide?

Is it this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey Ibis/MRP How About a Dual Ring Chain Guide for the Mojo and Mojo HD?-gamut-p30-dual-chain-guide-bb-mount-fits-22-36t-white-57031.jpg  

Last edited by AdrianoMTB; 05-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll be running the Gamut

I'm building up a new Mojo HD this week (frame is scheduled to arrive Thurs). Last week I picked up the Gamut dual ring guide BB mount (based on reviews here). I'll be installing that one. After a few rides at my local trails where I frequently ride over logs and log piles I'll post my experience.

enduro
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianoMTB
    Could you somebody post a pic of that gamut bb guide?

Is it this?
    Yes, that is it. I've tried a bunch of bb mount guides, and their roller is the best there is. Well worth the cost. Mounting it up is pretty straightforward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Adriano....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *RAY*
    Adriano....
    RAY

Guys fresh news!!!! An user from the Spanish forum has been working out in a particular chain guide for the MOJO HD. in a few days i will recieve in my house so just arrive, I will make some pictures to show us how is it.

PD: The chain guide has the anchorage directly to the bolt of the swingarm of course...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Right now I've seen ....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    MRP and company.... take notes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey Ibis/MRP How About a Dual Ring Chain Guide for the Mojo and Mojo HD?-guia-hd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like..!!!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianoMTB
    MRP and company.... take notes
    Cheers
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    I'd buy one.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    I'm sorry about that, but please remember that it takes time to develop, design, produce, and adequately test new technologies. I'm sorry if anyone inferred from my statements that something was/is right around the bend, my intention with just to let folks know we're listening and actively woking on solutions.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The first prototype coming right now for mi ibis hd... probably it would be better in steel but itīs only the beginning... anyway... I think it will solve my issue while MRP itīs developing a new one or a better chain guide...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey Ibis/MRP How About a Dual Ring Chain Guide for the Mojo and Mojo HD?-18052011237.jpg  

Hey Ibis/MRP How About a Dual Ring Chain Guide for the Mojo and Mojo HD?-18052011236.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts on how it performs after you get some time on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Want to see the real thing mounted. The drawing looks good though.
    Whatever roller you decide to use on this design, take a look at the Gamut roller for inspiration, the material they use and the shape of it just works.

Austin, Texas
    Maybe this will help us out instead.

From Vital MTB

20112 Shimano XTR Shadow Rear Derailleur

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe...23/bturman,109

"The newest addition to the XTR Dyna-Sys drivetrain is the RD-M985 Shadow Plus rear derailleur. The Shadow Plus feature provides a selectable pivot for the pulley cage that can use a heavier spring and increased pivot friction to counteract the forces of up and down chain momentum in rough terrain. The chain bouncing can often cause noise as the chain slaps the top and bottom of the chainstay, or even cause the chain to derail from the front ring in extreme circumstances. The new pivot when selected to the “ON” position dampens the cage and consequent chain movement for a nearly silent and stable riding experience. In the “OFF” position the derailleur will function like a standard Shadow rear derailleur and eases the installation and removal of the rear wheel by relaxing the spring tension on the cage.

MSRP: $249.99 Weight: 210g (estimated) Available: Late May 2011"
    Austin, Texas

Austin, Texas
    Another Video from Sick Lines.

Try to focus on the Rep, not the background. Good luck with that.

http://www.sicklines.com/2011/04/20/...lleur-rd-m985/
    Austin, Texas

mtbr member
    Any word on if MRP will be producing this http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/MRP-2X-Guide,59
    in an HD compatible version?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1 View Post
    Any word on if MRP will be producing this http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/MRP-2X-Guide,59
    in an HD compatible version?
    I think they were working on it currently....

mtbr member
    Bump- I want Something like the g2 but dual as well- bump

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianoMTB View Post
    The first prototype coming right now for mi ibis hd... probably it would be better in steel but itīs only the beginning... anyway... I think it will solve my issue while MRP itīs developing a new one or a better chain guide...
    Adriano, please post pics with the chain mounted on each chainring. Does the chain actually touch the dual wheel when using the small chainring?

For any dual wheel system on a Mojo SL or HD, since the chain stay is so low, can the dual wheel be situated high enough (without hitting the chain stay) for the chain to rest on the wheel when the chain is in the small ring?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry. I sorta found the answer to my question in page 1 of the thread. (This site doesn't load very well for me so I couldn't read the beginning of the thread.)

Anyway, the problem is I found two seemingly conflicting answers.. Morandi says the Gamut dual wheel works great while Noah says there is a problem with getting the wheel in a good position because of the chainstay. But they are talking about two slightly different designs; the Gamut uses a naked wheel which can tuck in close while MRP has the frame thing on either side of the wheel which would reduce clearance (but maybe they could change the design enough to make it work).

Indeed, looking at my bike it is not for sure that you could actually get the wheel high enough to work. I need to change out the 22-tooth inner ring for a slightly bigger ring anyway and I think that will help.

It would be killer if some folks would post pics of their dual wheel systems on their Mojo SLs or HDs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    3 weeks ago I PM'd Noah about the MRP 2X for Ibis and he replied there are no plans at this time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don't have a Mojo but when seeing this thread, and when seeing a few (not a lot) guys with Mojo on the trails, having chain drops/sucks issues, I'm starting to think the design has a flaw (whether it's major or minor depends on your aggressiveness). I'm quite surprised that the designer has not picked up this issue during development, and furhtermore has not developed a solution for it yet. Why? My only conclusion is that MOST Mojo riders do not demand for such solution or encounter such issues because they are not aggressive riders. And most Mojo riders I do encounter are the more middle aged men riding cautiously. I don't think you guys will see a solution simply because there is not much demand for one. Ibis and all the big chain guide manufacturers and all of you guys all know about the issue, but the issue and demand for a solution outside of aggressive group of riders,.. is probably not even a blip on the radar. So if you're aggressive, buy something else?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Let me see if I've got this straight: a few Mojo riders have had chain issues, so this indicates that there must be a design flaw. But most Mojo owners are ignorant of this flaw because we ride like pussies! Okaaaay.

Nonsense from a Spec Enduro troll. Aggressive Mojo and HD riders on extreme terrain without chain management components can have chain drops, but I've seen no evidence that it's any worse than any other long travel bike without chain management. Although I do believe that the versatility of the Mojo and HD may encourage riders without chain guides to tackle terrain that is typically the domain of DH and FR rigs that have chain guides. Which happened to me last weekend at the Snowshoe, WV bike park on my HD with an XT triple and no chain guide. I was riding one of the few non-DH/FR bikes on the mountain, and probably the only bike with 3 rings and no chain guide, and yes I dropped the chain. As would any of the DH bikes on the mountain if their chain guide were removed.

So maybe that is the "flaw" of the bike - it's equally capable as an XC or mini-DH rig, or anything in between, but it does not magically grow a chain guide when you take it on a DH course. Fortunately this flaw can be corrected by adding a chain guide. The lack of ISCG tabs for broader chain guide selection is a factor, but that is due to placement of the suspension links, part of a suspension design which makes the Mojo and HD among the very best all-around climbing/descending bikes on the planet, so hard to classify this as a flaw.

Austin, Texas
    Chauzie:

You see middle aged men when you ride? I don't.

I've had 2 Enduros and they were super bikes. My HD is better than both of them and I ride nasty stuff. I do agree with you regarding the design of the HD. The HD should have included a 2 chain ring specific chain guide. Why the HD doesn't include a 2 chain ring specific chain guide is just f*cking retarded.
    Austin, Texas

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie View Post
    I don't have a Mojo but when seeing this thread, and when seeing a few (not a lot) guys with Mojo on the trails, having chain drops/sucks issues, I'm starting to think the design has a flaw (whether it's major or minor depends on your aggressiveness). I'm quite surprised that the designer has not picked up this issue during development, and furhtermore has not developed a solution for it yet. Why? My only conclusion is that MOST Mojo riders do not demand for such solution or encounter such issues because they are not aggressive riders. And most Mojo riders I do encounter are the more middle aged men riding cautiously. I don't think you guys will see a solution simply because there is not much demand for one. Ibis and all the big chain guide manufacturers and all of you guys all know about the issue, but the issue and demand for a solution outside of aggressive group of riders,.. is probably not even a blip on the radar. So if you're aggressive, buy something else?
    Unless you're riding a Mojo HD, your comments don't carry much validity, and I am 54 years old, and ride sick terrain on mine, so again you are drawing conclusions. Never had any chain drop issues on my 2x9 system? I am not sure what middle age is, or what you consider it to be? I might not huck stuff, but I ride plenty of heinous technical terrain, with rock gardens, ledge drops, rock slab, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ok calm down. why do boutique owners tend to jump for the razor the minute their ride is brought into question no matter how brief or harmless such question is? I said flaw but in hindsight I should have stipulated so yall don't go postal. The flaw I was thinking referring to was the integration or option to integrate/mount chainguide. I did not mean suspension, material, or enjoyment of overall climbing/descending. So relax? And that is correct, I'm not a Mojo owner, and I have stated so. But heaven forbid me if I use my mind to abstract and perhaps even extrapolate what I actually see on the trail onto a net forum. I guess abstraction is trolling huh? A little narrow minded but whatever.

And yes I do see more guys in their 40s riding Ibis than guys in their 20s. Makes sense too since men in their 40s tend to have better jobs for expensive toys? I did not say I see more middle age men in term of absolute number. Carry on.

And you may go ahead and make fun of and criticize the Enduro. It has no personal attachment to me and such criticism won't stop the chain from dropping either. I will even say I hate the Enduro if it helps. But seriously some people need to cool the ego a bit and leave the homer talk to the Turner forum

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak View Post
    3 weeks ago I PM'd Noah about the MRP 2X for Ibis and he replied there are no plans at this time.
    That has changed.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Awesome news, I'll buy one if it's more than just a sandwich/friction hold. Chainsuck isn't common for me and it's easily corrected by backpedaling slightly. I'd rather not solve the rare inconvenience with something that I'd have to stop the bike to fix every time the guide got hit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a mojo hd, and while I love it and have had good luck running the Gamut bottom bracket guide, I do have to say I think it really is a major oversight not to have worked in ISG tabs or a dual ring guide that locks in like the MRP G2. I mean what the hell is the hold-up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    That has changed.
    Very good news!!!

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by treaty_oak@yahoo.com View Post
    I got all the info I needed by 1:01. Curiously that's also the same time the "background" changed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hopefully MRP/Ibis come out with a HD compatible version of the new 2x guide designed for SRAM 2 x 10, I,m tired of throwing my chain

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post
    Hopefully MRP/Ibis come out with a HD compatible version of the new 2x guide designed for SRAM 2 x 10, I,m tired of throwing my chain
    Read above a few posts...Noah from MRP says they are doing so.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am 26 and ride a Mojo HD 160. I tend to need to walk most ridable climbs and I jump off of my bike at any sign of a rock/root/drop on descents-- I'm not a very good rider, so that stuff scares me and, after all, I wouldn't want to scratch the carbon if i crashed. I bought the HD to make me a better rider and, so far, it has failed to do so. Worst part is, here in Western North Carolina, there are TONS of middle aged men passing me every ride-- most of them on rigid single speeds and steel frames with early 90s geometry! I blame old man strength, and hope that if i keep buying expensive bikes, I'll have it, too, someday....

Either way, I want an MRP dual ring chain guide, not because I ride aggressively enough to need it, but because I think it looks cool and I'm waiting for it before I post a pic of my bike on the HD build thread.

But really, I want that chain guide and hope it is available before the ski season ends!

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by circlesuponcircles View Post
    I bought the HD to make me a better rider and, so far, it has failed to do so.
    No offense but if you expected a drastic change simply because you now own a "high end" bike, the failure is not the bike.....the failure is in your unrealistic expectations. You
    have a better tool in the HD but having that tool doesn't mean you will automatically become better.

Take it slow, have more confidence, try to progress naturally. I'm not saying that all it takes is perseverance and effort but it takes some at least. You seem to believe it was just going to happen by osmosis.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I am 26 and ride a Mojo HD 160. I tend to need to walk most ridable climbs and I jump off of my bike at any sign of a rock/root/drop on descents-- I'm not a very good rider, so that stuff scares me and, after all, I wouldn't want to scratch the carbon if i crashed.
    At least you're honest. The best way to get better would be to take lessons, I recommend Betteride.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Humor...you guys aren't getting it....lol

ps. I run xx on my mojo SL and sure would take a good look at a a MRP chain guide as long as it had a bash guard. I've gone a little too big on some ledge/obstacle hops and ground some of the teeth on my 42. Really don't like doing that...

aka dan51
    I am 26 and ride a Mojo HD 160. I tend to need to walk most ridable climbs and I jump off of my bike at any sign of a rock/root/drop on descents-- I'm not a very good rider, so that stuff scares me and, after all, I wouldn't want to scratch the carbon if i crashed. I bought the HD to make me a better rider and, so far, it has failed to do so.
    I got an HD to make me look good, but so far that has failed; it has improved my riding skills though . I think the MRP chainguide will be the ticket to finally making me look good. I'm ready to spend money!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Who needs skills when you've got sex appeal?

You know that the girls all love a blinged out bike!
    (They especially dig chain guides...)
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    I run xx on my mojo SL and sure would take a good look at a a MRP chain guide as long as it had a bash guard. I've gone a little too big on some ledge/obstacle hops and ground some of the teeth on my 42. Really don't like doing that...
    agreed

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A little out there but I'm desperate so I have to ask...
    Has anyone considered putting a Gamut dual wheel, MRP LRP roller on an Ibis/MRP boomerang?

Anyone know the diameter of the Gamut axle vs the MRP axle?

Noah, did MPR develop a prototype, test it and found that it didn't work great, or did they simply theorize that it wouldn't work great because of the low chainstay? Have they physically put dual pulley wheels on the Ibis-specific boomerang and found it to not work great, even after shaving off plastic from the inner side of the pulley guide? Seems like the dual pulley wheels of the 2x systems would just retrofit right onto the Ibis boomerang?

After some more thought I don't think designing something that would work for Mojo SL/HD would be all that difficult. Adriano's rig looks like it would work.

Just the simple fact of having a boomerang between the frame and the inner ring should prevent the chain from getting sucked down in there. Problem #1 solved.

Even if the chain barely rested against the wheel for some gears (that shouldn't be used anyway) when using the inner ring, that would prevent the chain from rebounding as much on the down-swing so chain-slap would still be reduced. Problem #2 solved or greatly reduced.

While in the big ring, there should be plenty of tension on the chain, plus with the aid of the derailleur, so the chain should not be able to unexpectedly fall from the big ring to the small ring. Problem #3 solved. In fact, while in the big ring, there would be exactly the same amount of tension on the chain as the current Ibis/MRP rigs provide.

A bash, plus the derailleur, would prevent the chain from falling to the outside from the big ring. Never had this problem, but still potential problem #4 solved.

With tons of Mojo riders out there, and tons of them using two chainrings plus bash, and all of them hating dropped chains and chain slap, it seems like the market is there.

Adriano, how is that thing working out? Please report.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't think the Gamut wheel would work on the MRP boomerang. The gamut has a very particular interface, and the boomerang they use is machined down so it is very thin. I think it would be hard to align it properly even if you could mount it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    When should this product be available?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by treaty_oak@yahoo.com View Post
    Chauzie:

You see middle aged men when you ride? I don't.

I've had 2 Enduros and they were super bikes. My HD is better than both of them and I ride nasty stuff. I do agree with you regarding the design of the HD. The HD should have included a 2 chain ring specific chain guide. Why the HD doesn't include a 2 chain ring specific chain guide is just f*cking retarded.
    +1
    I drop my chain at least 5 times per ride on the HD. This is retarded. An e.13 drs on my mojo classic kept the chain on, but it always ended up slammed against the chainstay.
    So now it looks as if I'll have to switch to a single ring up front and just push up... cue sad music.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Heim2 w/ 40T bashguard

I had the Gamut 36T dual guide originally, but still hit the boomerang on logs/rocks. It never loosened but I wanted to reduce my chances of getting stuck somewhere, so I went with a Heim2 with a 40T bashguard. And so far it's working great! The 40T bashguard seems to provide just enough extra clearance to cover most situations; however, keep in mind that it's not perfect and if you hit a log or rock edge that is just the right size it will still make contact with the boomerang. But it hasn't happen to me yet.

On another note, like the others, I'm still waiting on a dual-ring setup that attaches to the lower pivot.

enduro
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by epic911 View Post
    When should this product be available?
    bump...

Austin, Texas
    bump...let's hear it, Noah.
    Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0