mtbr member
    Sep 2005

HELP! Problem with my brand new Elixir CR

Just got a brand new ibis mojo that came with avid elixir CR brakes. I know nothing about hydraulic brakes, ive always had bb7.

the bike came pre built and all was good. I took off the rear wheel and was applying some frameskins and was working around the hoses tugging on them a bit and such.

now damnest thing, the pads on the rear brake are too close together all of the sudden and I can't get the rotor to even fit in.

im dyin here, i wanna go ride but i can't....whats going on here

mtbr member
    You might get some answers here, but the brake forum is where you need to be. Try prying them apart with a tire lever. Good luck.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla
    Just got a brand new ibis mojo that came with avid elixir CR brakes. I know nothing about hydraulic brakes, ive always had bb7.

the bike came pre built and all was good. I took off the rear wheel and was applying some frameskins and was working around the hoses tugging on them a bit and such.

now damnest thing, the pads on the rear brake are too close together all of the sudden and I can't get the rotor to even fit in.

im dyin here, i wanna go ride but i can't....whats going on here
    You may have inadvertently applied the brakes with no rotor in between the pads. As Miles suggested, pry them apart and they will go back into the normal position or past it. Then put the wheel back in, pump the lever a few times and hopefully you will be good to go.

H

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to use the Red Avid pad spacer that comes with the brakes, that will push both pistons back in and give plenty of space for the rotor.

mtbr member
    zip ties aren't pinching the hose right? Even when accidentally squeezed the spring should bring them back, but I generally slip the red bleed block in just to be sure.

If you need one pm me, I have like six, ill drop one in the mail.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the same brakes on my Stumpjumper and have accidentally applied them while the wheel was off. I had no luck pushing them back out so I went ahead and bled the brakes. I was very upset at myself since the bike was pretty new at the time. good luck

mtbr member
    If worst comes to worse you just have to crack the bleed port on the caliper and push the pads in, they will slide in with no effort at all.

Antagonist
    Same happened to me. Pull the pads and use a big flat edge screw driver or chisel to work the pistons back in, maybe using some tri flow to help if necessary. LBS had a couple of those brake blocks onhand and just gave them to me. Probably leftovers from the kits like mine that they put together and forgot to put in the "spare stuff" bag when I picked it up.

Members who have read this thread: 0