Help me pick my new bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me pick my new bike

I was wondering if you might be able to help me pick a new bike and keep me in the Ibis Family..I'm really hesitating b/w:

Buy an HD4 (maybe look around for a great deal now the HD5's are out)
    Buy an HD5
    Switch to a Bronson
    Get a Yeti SB140
    Keep riding my bike for now and wait for the Mojo 4

For those of you in the SF Bay Area, I ride primarily:

Skeggs
    Waterdog
    Tamarancho
    Annadel
    Saratoga gap
    Tahoe - e.g. TRT Tahoe meadows to spooner, or Tahoe donner
    Demo - Braille over Flow but like both
    Hough + Downieville
    Wilder
    Pogonip to UC and beyond

Pretty middle of the pack re speed, drops bigger than 18" scare me. So do gap jumps. But I love getting a little air off all the little one foot jumps, water bars etc. I jump off everything I can and love drops of 8-18".

I weigh 190 + gear and have super low gearing to make it up the steep gnarly stuff.

Yeah I know I should demo a bunch of bikes and see what I like...I've done that and I'm still stuck.

What I ride today and why I want a new bike:

I am the proud owner of an Ibis HDR. I love the damn thing...so much I've struggled to upgrade because of how much I love it...

That said, after 5-6 years on my beloved 26" steed....I am starting to find that as I'm riding more and more aggressive terrain (e.g. Braille / Downieville) I am being held back by my geometry...I'm just not as confident as my friends on bigger more enduro bikes. Sure if I was a better rider I could ride it fine on my bike, but it just feels like I have less room for error...that I can get in trouble and go OTB where my friends wouldn't...Nevertheless I've loved the fact that the HDR has been a one bike quiver, allowing me to do pretty much any terrain from Arastradero to Northstar. My concern with upgrading has been that while I may gain confidence for the 5-10% of the time the terrain is super super gnarly, I don't want to be penalized for the 60% of the time when I'm climbing etc.

Demo experiences
    So I demo'd a Ripmo, hoping I'd love it (once in Tahoe and once from Trailhead)...everyone told me I would...I so wanted to...but I just found I didn't...It's a great bike but it felt like I'd upgraded to a truck...I just wasn't used to how much I had to shift my body to get the front end up, it felt harder to jump little side jumps, slower to accelerate from trackstand/stall speed etc. Stuff that had been challenging wasn't...but that's not necessarily a plus...I go out of my way to find challenging terrain...making small rock garden feel like flat trails just made them less fun. I found myself feeling over and over, I wish I had my bike 95% of the time. I did love it on the super steep technical sections, but that's 5% of the ride.

I then demo'd a Yeti SB140, and liked it a lot...I found the travel a little too firm/lacking and it felt a little long for my liking...But it made me wonder whether a Mojo 4 with a little more travel than the 4 if one was every built could be a great solution for me. The SB140 gelt way more familiar to me and closer to what I'm looking for than the Ripmo for me. Some friends have been pushing towards a Bronson telling me that's my perfect bike.

I haven't demo'd a Bronson yet, feeling too much love for Ibis. I demo'd an HD4...and generally liked it...It felt quite familiar ... It was certainly longer and slacker but felt pretty good..I put it down as another great candidate..It didn't feel like it climbed quite as well as my bike, didn't seem quite as fun and poppy, but so much better on the fast steep descents. I was starting to talk myself into accepting that trade-off and then the HD5 was released...

It sounds like a better version of the HD4...It sounds like it descends better, but I wonder if that comes with a penalty on the climbing side.

So what do you think? Any guesses as to what will be the right bike for me? Should I demo more? Anyone know if any bay area shop has the HD5 in their demo fleet yet? Do I just need more time on one of the bikes I've already demo'd to get used to the new geometry?

I'm curious for those of you who've made the jump from 26-->27.5 or 29 or 27.5 --> 29 how the adjustment has been...did you find you adjusted and never looked back or did you find you missed the old geometry. I ran into a guy who bought an SB130 and really wished he'd waited and went with the SB140...He's just not loving the new geometry.

So what do you think I should do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    test ride a bronson, but probably go hd5. if you like to own bikes long-term, i'd shy away from Yeti. sorry not sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You owe it to yourself to wait for the Mojo4 to come out.

I went HD3 over the HD4 because I wanted a bit more pop and quickness. The HD4 was just too much of a sled for my everyday riding. In hindsight, I think I wanted a Mojo3. I erred on more travel with the HD3 so I could make more mistakes, but I think if anything I will be dialing back the terrain I ride as I approach 50. The Mojo3 would be faster up (I love climbing) and enough bike on the downs I want to hammers vs pick through. So...you've waited so long...whats another 3-6mos for the Mojo 4 to come out? Worst case, you get a Mojo 3 on closeout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Can't speak to the Yeti or Santa Cruz bikes, but if you want a great deal on a Medium Black HD4 with a fantastic build, lemme know. I'm thinking my park days are numbered and I happen to LOVE my Ripmo. I got used to 29er's pretty easily and once I did, no looking back. You can ALWAYS find more challenging terrain SOMEWHERE for the 29'er. And the speed it keeps can't be matched IMO.

But a Mojo 4, if there is one coming, could be the perfect bike for you. I LOVED my Mojo 3, it just couldn't keep up the speed that I wanted it to. Plus, for whatever reason, I kept crashing on it.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    @BmanIntheD Unfortunately I'm 5'11 so solidly in the Large range. So you have a Ripmo, Ripley and HD4? I'm curious where do you find you ride each? What do you find yourself riding most and why?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Neela View Post
    @BmanIntheD Unfortunately I'm 5'11 so solidly in the Large range. So you have a Ripmo, Ripley and HD4? I'm curious where do you find you ride each? What do you find yourself riding most and why?
    I live in TX but travel a lot to ride. I was in Park City, UT this past summer with my Ripley, which was perfect for everything that wasn't in the bike park, where I rode the HD4. The Ripley's great when there's a lot of ups and downs but the terrain is not super rocky or ledgy. I take the Ripmo to Sedona, AZ and Grand Junction, CO and places like that, where there's a lot of climbing and chunky, ledgy descents.

The HD5 should be a better climber than the HD4 due to if nothing else the steeper seat tube. But the 170mm fork and 64* head tube might negate some of that. If you like 27.5, and are stuck on it, this or the Mojo 4 might be your jam. But like I said earlier, once I got used to 29'ers, I never looked back. And I'm only 5'8".
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    @woodstockMT Good thoughts...main thing holding me back from Mojo3 is really whether it's going to feel different (better) enough vs my current bike...Mojo4 might be the ticket...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was just in the same boat as you and 18" drop offs were my max as well. The difference was I was coming from a V1 Bronson and when I found the HD4 on a deal after the HD5 was released, I jumped on it. I'm 5'10" and 190-ish on my best days. I thought I would never like another bike aside from the Bronson. It was my one bike quiver. I was able to climb, descend, and flow through all the trails I took it on. Now a new owner of an HD4, I'm more than giddy to be riding mainly because I can climb the same trails with the same effort but descend with more confidence. Happy trails, but sticking with Ibis may not be a bad thing.

mtbr member
    I was wondering if you might be able to help me pick a new bike and keep me in the Ibis Family..I'm really hesitating b/w:

Buy an HD4 (maybe look around for a great deal now the HD5's are out)
    Buy an HD5
    Switch to a Bronson
    Get a Yeti SB140
    Keep riding my bike for now and wait for the Mojo 4

For those of you in the SF Bay Area, I ride primarily:

Skeggs
    Waterdog
    Tamarancho
    Annadel
    Saratoga gap
    Tahoe - e.g. TRT Tahoe meadows to spooner, or Tahoe donner
    Demo - Braille over Flow but like both
    Hough + Downieville
    Wilder
    Pogonip to UC and beyond

Pretty middle of the pack re speed, drops bigger than 18" scare me. So do gap jumps. But I love getting a little air off all the little one foot jumps, water bars etc. I jump off everything I can and love drops of 8-18".

I weigh 190 + gear and have super low gearing to make it up the steep gnarly stuff.

Yeah I know I should demo a bunch of bikes and see what I like...I've done that and I'm still stuck.

What I ride today and why I want a new bike:

I am the proud owner of an Ibis HDR. I love the damn thing...so much I've struggled to upgrade because of how much I love it...

That said, after 5-6 years on my beloved 26" steed....I am starting to find that as I'm riding more and more aggressive terrain (e.g. Braille / Downieville) I am being held back by my geometry...I'm just not as confident as my friends on bigger more enduro bikes. Sure if I was a better rider I could ride it fine on my bike, but it just feels like I have less room for error...that I can get in trouble and go OTB where my friends wouldn't...Nevertheless I've loved the fact that the HDR has been a one bike quiver, allowing me to do pretty much any terrain from Arastradero to Northstar. My concern with upgrading has been that while I may gain confidence for the 5-10% of the time the terrain is super super gnarly, I don't want to be penalized for the 60% of the time when I'm climbing etc.

Demo experiences
    So I demo'd a Ripmo, hoping I'd love it (once in Tahoe and once from Trailhead)...everyone told me I would...I so wanted to...but I just found I didn't...It's a great bike but it felt like I'd upgraded to a truck...I just wasn't used to how much I had to shift my body to get the front end up, it felt harder to jump little side jumps, slower to accelerate from trackstand/stall speed etc. Stuff that had been challenging wasn't...but that's not necessarily a plus...I go out of my way to find challenging terrain...making small rock garden feel like flat trails just made them less fun. I found myself feeling over and over, I wish I had my bike 95% of the time. I did love it on the super steep technical sections, but that's 5% of the ride.

I then demo'd a Yeti SB140, and liked it a lot...I found the travel a little too firm/lacking and it felt a little long for my liking...But it made me wonder whether a Mojo 4 with a little more travel than the 4 if one was every built could be a great solution for me. The SB140 gelt way more familiar to me and closer to what I'm looking for than the Ripmo for me. Some friends have been pushing towards a Bronson telling me that's my perfect bike.

I haven't demo'd a Bronson yet, feeling too much love for Ibis. I demo'd an HD4...and generally liked it...It felt quite familiar ... It was certainly longer and slacker but felt pretty good..I put it down as another great candidate..It didn't feel like it climbed quite as well as my bike, didn't seem quite as fun and poppy, but so much better on the fast steep descents. I was starting to talk myself into accepting that trade-off and then the HD5 was released...

It sounds like a better version of the HD4...It sounds like it descends better, but I wonder if that comes with a penalty on the climbing side.

So what do you think? Any guesses as to what will be the right bike for me? Should I demo more? Anyone know if any bay area shop has the HD5 in their demo fleet yet? Do I just need more time on one of the bikes I've already demo'd to get used to the new geometry?

I'm curious for those of you who've made the jump from 26-->27.5 or 29 or 27.5 --> 29 how the adjustment has been...did you find you adjusted and never looked back or did you find you missed the old geometry. I ran into a guy who bought an SB130 and really wished he'd waited and went with the SB140...He's just not loving the new geometry.

So what do you think I should do?
    i had this struggle last season. i was on my HD since 2012, i loved it so much. in 2014 i converted it to 650b and it was even better. but last year i got new bike bug and with all the long and slack 29ers i wanted to try. i am 6'2" and had been thinking about switching to 29" wheels. sooo, i demoed about 20 29ers last summer. and right off the bat i will tell you i wasnt impressed. i was so looking forward to demo ripmo but it just didnt feel right. summer passed and i still had the new bike bug but decided to stick with 27.5 and got new HD3 frame and was able to build dream bike super cheap. even better bike than HD for sure, kept riding and during winter, a friend of mine let me borrow his smuggler for 3 weeks. now first ride or 2 i felt the same like a did in the summer, but more i rode it the more i begun to like bigger wheels. at the end i was basically in love. it just takes time to get used to it, because the geometry and handling is so different, but once you start clicking with it you will love it, and this comes from hard core 27.5" guy.
    when ripley was released i bought one right away, and since it arrived, i have not ridden HD3 once. Ripley is faster, smoother, more stable, feels like it has more than 120 really. the only trails i can feel its limits are ones with "long fast chunky" sections. and even there i is still enough bike for me. and i also dont ride trails like these that often anymore. otherwise i would probably be on ripmo

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So, former HD owner, current HD3 owner and have tried most Ibisí bikes out on demo rides/ migrations. I also have ridden most of the places on your list. Here are my thoughts:

HD4 is a Enduro beast. Very fast, very long, and can pick any line. Good climber too.

Ripmo is the fastest bike I have ever ridden. 29Ē wheels need to be carbon to jump/ lift the front wheel easily ( your mileage may vary).

Mojo 3 is a super playful version of the HD 3 that gives up some jumping ability for agility and climbing. It can jump, but it will tell you if you donít jump correctly.

Ripley is a climbing terminator, it just wonít stop climbing. The version 1/2 that I rode got a little nervous on the steeps , but I think that was older head angle issues.

I would tell you to demo some bikes, You live close enough that you could demo from Ibisí head quarters in Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Honestly if you felt the Ripmo was too much, I'd steer you away from the Bronson. I ride a v3 bronson and ride Annadel 2-3x a week. It's definitely overbiked for there, and honestly for most of the places you listed especially if you consider yourself middle of the pack and don't like jumps or drops over 18".

With what you've laid out in your post I'd take a hard look at the Ripley v4 especially if you want to stay on a dw link bike and in the Ibis family. Otherwise if you think you prefer 29ers and want to look at SC I'd look at the new Tallboy or if you prefer to over bike a little the Hightower v2.

I'd go down to the factories in SC and demo a couple bikes from Ibis and SC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i think he's partial to 27.5 though. mojo4 might be the ticket if/when it comes out if you want something snappier than hd5 and not ride hard enough to use the travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I sold my Mojo 3 earlier this year and bought a Ripley V4. I had always preferred the playfulness of a shorter travel 27.5 bike. Had the Mojo 3 for three years, rode similar trails and it was a real fun/capable bike. I never liked the "truck like" handling of 29" bikes either, and rode/demoed plenty of them. The Ripley V4 felt different, I could pick up the front end much easier, and it felt playful. I've been on it a few months an glad I made the switch, it carries speed better, is more stable, and climbs like a beast.

I'd say demo a Ripley and/or wait for a Mojo 4 if you are set on 27.5 wheels....

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Anyone ride the Mojo's vs say the new sb140? Im going 27.5 for sure just don't have much experience on these higher end bike. Definitely have a solid eye on that 140 just with I could get it in raw carbon. Definitely willing to get convinced a different direction but planning a trip soon just for the test ride. A serious trip considering we don't have yeti dealers out east.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I demo'd an instinct bc, altitude, stumpy 27.5, v3 bronson, ripmo, enduro 27.5, tracer, hightower v2, and mojo3. All demos in Truckee. Bought a ripmo af. Came from a 26 transition covert. I'd never go back to a smaller wheel. The ripmo and ht2 convinced me of that. Just as nimble as anything. Mojo3 was fun but not stable at all compared to the others. Also too short. Felt old school to me. Best bikes of what I rode were the bronson v3, ripmo and ht2. The new SC bikes feel nothing like the old ones. Butter smooth and a lot like the ibis bikes, maybe more supple and a tad less efficient but not much. It doesn't sound like you're too aggressive and living in the Bay, if you only have one bike, I'd go for a burly trail 29er 140-150 front and 120-140 rear. Ripley or tallboy maybe. I live in Truckee/N Tahoe, only ride here, hit doubles and ride hard so a beefy bike works. That said, I've even considered going down in travel a bit. If I was you, I'd demo a new tallboy, ripley, and ht2. Tallboy is heavier than the ripley but a bit more stable and supple. The sb130 is super long so I'd pass. The offering and smuggler would be ideal for you too.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying an HD4...riding it with the 2.8" tires, so my diameter is pretty close to that of a 29er...holy smokes I LOVE this bike! Thanks everyone for all the advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    test ride a bronson, but probably go hd5. if you like to own bikes long-term, i'd shy away from Yeti. sorry not sorry.
    Iím looking at multiple bikes once of which is the sb140. Curious why Yeti is not a good long term bike with all their new warranty etc? Also looking at rip 9 27.5 and mojo3. Where is the best state/place in the nation to test ride all of these bikes? Iím planning a week long trip for this sole purpose. No dealers in my area demo carbon..

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I ended up buying an HD4...riding it with the 2.8" tires, so my diameter is pretty close to that of a 29er...holy smokes I LOVE this bike! Thanks everyone for all the advice.
    congrats

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau_Do View Post
    Iím looking at multiple bikes once of which is the sb140. Curious why Yeti is not a good long term bike with all their new warranty etc? Also looking at rip 9 27.5 and mojo3. Where is the best state/place in the nation to test ride all of these bikes? Iím planning a week long trip for this sole purpose. No dealers in my area demo carbon..
    Damn! I thought I was crazy demo'ing bikes for half the summer but a week long trip to demo? You are serious. Our dealers in North Tahoe/Truckee have every bike you'd want to demo and endless trails to ride but the season is winding down and most of the demos have been sold. You'll have to look to pure bike towns in the desert now to find all bikes in one place.