Thread: Headset size

mtbr member

Headset size

Hi
    My headset lower bearing failed so I need to replace the headset, and now when looking at cane creek page and reading the previous post regarding headsets, I am a little unsure about which size is the right on for the mojo carbon with a 32 Float RLC. Mine has a CC IS6 as standard which on cane creeks page is stated as 1 inch (25.4 mm), while the IS-2 which is the standard from Ibis comes as both 1 inch (25.4 mm) and 1-1/8 inch (28.6 mm). From the previous posts some people are using the solos and 110's which are both 1-1/8 inch (28.6 mm).

As I won't be back to my apartment and my bike for another 2 days to measure, I kinda wanted to order it before then, so any assistance in chosing the right size would be greatly appreciated :-)

The MTB Lab
    The Mojo uses a 1 1/8 inch IS headset

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The lower bearing failed in my IS-2 also. It was pretty rusted. I popped the rubber seal of and cleaned it it kero then re-greased it. Then I swapped the top bearing for the bottom one. 90% of the load is on the bottom bearing. I should really buy some new stainless steel bearings but it has been working for 4 months now and I'm lazy. I'm about to get new forks so I should do the heaset bearings at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid
    The lower bearing failed in my IS-2 also. It was pretty rusted. I popped the rubber seal of and cleaned it it kero then re-greased it. Then I swapped the top bearing for the bottom one. 90% of the load is on the bottom bearing. I should really buy some new stainless steel bearings but it has been working for 4 months now and I'm lazy. I'm about to get new forks so I should do the heaset bearings at the same time.

Took mine apart last night (getting fork pushed). Similar result.

Didnt someone buy just replacement stainless bearings? Anyone know the sizes involved (I dont have access to an accurate guage)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

replacement bearings

I've tried to find them at a bearing shop and online and bearing sellers with no luck. I think cane creek must get them made up. Jensen has them here;

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Bearings.aspx

you need the $29.00 ones.

The MTB Lab
    Just buy a new IS2, they are not that expensive. Buying the bearings piecemeal is pricey. Do you wash your bike or are in rain a lot? My Solos IS is 2 years old and has no rust.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Your solos hasn't rusted because it has stainless steel cartridge bearings, that's one of the reasons it's double the cost of the IS-2. I see no reason not to get the bearings myself. Assuming everything else is fine, save a bit of cash by just upgrading the bearings. The least expensive cane creek headset with stainless bearings is the IS-6 which runs over $60.

Reviewer/Tester
    .......................... nvm...

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 07-28-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    It is inevitable ...

Members who have read this thread: 0