HD5 vs HD4 handling?- Mtbr.com
    Dream it, Do it.

HD5 vs HD4 handling?

How does the handling of the new HD5 compare to the HD4? I currently have an HD4 and its handling is spot on as a one-quiver bike for how I ride. Not too long...not too short and not too slack. I'm interested in hearing from people that have actually ridden both.

I wouldn't mind trading in my HD4 frame for an HD5 frame at some point, but not if the HD5 is substantially slower steering.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Can't help you as I never rode an HD4. I was on an 2018 Intense Tracer when they came out and while I was very happy with my Tracer, especially going down, my sone wanted to buy it and that created an opportunity for me to get a new bike. I originally picked up a Ripmo last July and while it was a very worthy bike, I missed the playfulness of a 27.5 bike and picked up an HD5. I just returned from 4 days in Tucson. While most of our riding was not worthy or the HD5's abilities & suspension numbers, I couldn't be happier. I think it might even be a bigger compliment to say how happy I was with they bike on a 20 mile XC ride; a ride where I left the X2 in the open position the entire day and kept up with the guys on 120mm travel bikes.
    Carpe Diem!!

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I think it might even be a bigger compliment to say how happy I was with they bike on a 20 mile XC ride; a ride where I left the X2 in the open position the entire day and kept up with the guys on 120mm travel bikes.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That's exactly what I like about my HD4. It's plenty capable for anything I'd want to ride while still being fun on everyday trail rides. Some of the longer & slacker long travel 29ers I've ridden feel great descending at warp speed, but make everything else feel like riding a paved bike path.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That's exactly what I like about my HD4. It's plenty capable for anything I'd want to ride while still being fun on everyday trail rides. Some of the longer & slacker long travel 29ers I've ridden feel great descending at warp speed, but make everything else feel like riding a paved bike path.
    That was the Ripmo for me. A great bike but never really excited me....other than hauling the mail on Third Divide in Downieville
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I went from an HD3 with a -1 headset to the HD5. I don't have any good technical rides on the HD5 yet but what I have done the HD5 feels different, but I don't get the impression of slower to turn. What I do feel is the steeper seat tube angle which I like.

I went from an FM336 carbon frame to the HD3. The HD3 felt different, but a couple rides and it no longer felt different. I expect going from the HD3 to the HD5 will be the same when I get to real rides. After a few rides, it will no longer feel different.

I would just look at what about the HD5s geometry is drawing you to it? When the HD4 came out, there was nothing that was a big draw for me. With the HD5, I was concerned with the lax head tube angle, but now I'm thinking it won't be an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    On a HD4 and don't see any reason to goto the HD5. Unless you wanted to change the size of the bike...as in your on a too small or big of a bike.

mtbr member
    I'm on an XL HD5 which looks like a limo every time I see it but it doesn't feel like an XL and after a few rides getting used to it feels right at home. Head angle feels great to me. I'm also a moto guy so it's nice to see that MTB's are now basically mirroring dirt bike geometry.

I came from a L Devinci Troy which in hindsight was too small for me and never felt great. This HD5 handles so much better. I also rode an HD4 when they came out but it's been too long ago to remember the difference. I preferred this bike to the Ripmo and Ripley as well.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    I came from a L Devinci Troy which in hindsight was too small for me and never felt great. This HD5 handles so much better.
    Was the Troy a 29er? Just curious as I did a demo ride of the Troy 29er last year.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey Chainslap, I think I'm going to be ordering a HD5 XL in the next few weeks... My question that I was wondering is... can you tell me how many (10mm) headset spacers are on on the stock HD5 XL bike. I may custom order an HD5 and want to keep the spacers with the same adjustability as the stock bike. (I'm 6' 2") If possible, let me know how many spacers above and below the stem you have on your bike (and if it's a stock build or custom build). Appreciate any help you can provide, Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My HD4 came with DHF 2.6 front and rear, the HD5 comes with Maxxis Assegai EXO 2.5.

Do the HD5 owners like the Assegai or are you changing them out for something else?

Keep on Rockin...
    Something I'd like to hear as well (OP's original post).

For our AM riding I find a 275 to be a better all around bike. Paired up with a thicker casing 2.6 tire I find that to offer the best combination of traction and nimbleness.

While I'm still completely thrilled on my current 275 (and my 29 for more trail/xc riding) I'm looking at either an HD5 or Knolly Warden 2020.

The HD5's HTA might be too slack for AM type riding that has tough tech climbs. My plan would be to run it with a 160mm fork as that would reign in the front end a bit, and I don't need 170 up front.