HD5 too slack??? Seeking opinions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

HD5 too slack??? Seeking opinions.

I'm coming from an HD3 for the last 3 years that had a HT angle of 66.6.
    The new HD5 is a huge difference at 64.2.

I've done 1 day of riding on the HD5 and my impression is that:
    1. It climbs with a less effort (steeper seat tube?).
    2. It's waaaay more stable and confident on chunky fast. It feels calm at all times instead of something I had to pay close attention to on the HD3.
    3. The front wheel seems like it's 15 miles out in front of me. Don't know if it's all in my head, but slow tight/techy stuff seemed a bit awkward.

I ran 20% sag on the fork and will try 30% next time to see if this helps.

So, is it just something I need to get used to? Would it be worth trying an angleset to steepen the HT? Thoughts?

Edit to say: I have 1 bike to do it all so I'm going for an all-rounder. I toyed with the Ripmo instead but wanted the smaller wheels.

May contain nuts
    I would keep riding it - it will become familiar and you’ll learn to weight the front a bit more. There are no real negatives. (Had HD3, now on HD4)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I wouldn't consider it an all-rounder. It's pretty uninspiring in slower, flatter terrain, unlike the Ripmo. Mine's pretty much reserved for lift/shuttle duty. It climbs a bit better (more comfortably, not faster) due to the STA vs the HD4, and kills on the DH, but is a handful on more rolling, slower terrain. So, if your trails are steep, slow slogs up and then bombing down, it would be great.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoso View Post
    I've done 1 day of riding on the HD5
    Just keep riding the bike. You'll feel natural in no time. 1 day is not enough to come to any conclusions. I personally wouldn't want to have an HD5 any steeper and I am a one-bike-to-rule-them-all rider.

Don't set the sag to change the front end height. Set the sag so the fork feels great on the trail.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Experiment with headangles! I tend to like much steeper headangles than most and these headsets have saved the day for me.

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Keep updating. I'm thinking about going from my HD3 to an HD5, similar concerns. Mostly I want to climb better. What feedback I've seen on climbing is mixed.

If I were to do an HD5, I would use my current 160mm fork which will reduce the HA a little. I also have a works 1 degree offset as a second step if I want it steeper yet.

Still all up in the air pending more feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would tell you to not make any big changes to the bike for at least 3-6 months of riding.

Start with sag, and then work on suspension adjustments. Try changing one dial at a time, one to two clicks max. per ride, before you start messing with head angles and odd sag settings.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the responses. Thinking I'll give it some more time.

I will increase the sag though as I only used 1/2 of the fork travel in 35 miles of moderately chunky stuff.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Id suggest setin the sag @ ibis recs for your weight and start in with rebound and compression @ 1/2. Also didnt see anything about your weight in coordination with setting sag but you might see if the fork and rear shock have travel reducers installed and addl/eliminate them as you need to for your weight...

mtbr member
    Markets move in often mysterious way and it is unavoidable that the "demand" for slacker head angles will eventually feel too "wide" to some riders, or to others it is the seat tube that is too steep.

But things are much more complicated that those numbers. Example: For years I kept my HD3 with a Pike 150 in front, it was a good compromise to get a feeling of climbing efficiently while the drop post really rescued the need for the 160. Now I am on a Pike with ACS3 Coil Kit and even if the fork has less sag, and seemingly runs higher, the front feel steeper. Maybe it feels that way because the mid stroke is more linear (and the fork is wonderfully buttery smooth, I love it!), but for whatever reason I am in the process of switching to 160.

Point is that the fork has nothing to do with HT, but there you go. In this case it influences your ride much more than the HT did when switching from 150 to 160 on air.

Same for tires, a Rocket Ron 2.6 rear improved the climbing of the HD3 very significantly for the better with respect to a Nobby Nic 2.6. And this even if the bike on paper dropped maybe 2-3 mm (sigh ...) in the rear.

Same for handlebar and saddle position and height. It is surprising how much it influences your climbing comfort. The bike feel slacks? go forward and lower and shorter .. etc ...

I were you I would forget looking at numbers, and experiment with what you could change with little hassle: bar and saddle position, stem length, different tire pressures for front and rear.

An adjustable headset it is on my horizon too, just because I like to fidget. But I am not sure I would go for a fixed angle head set. I know Cane Creek is not too popular but having the possibility of multiple offset angle adjustments seems kind of precious ...
    Last edited by Davide; 01-16-2020 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Update to this thread:

I've put a few more miles on the bike and certainly feel more at home on it now. I did change the fork sag from 20% to 25% which helped plush it up a bit and help the HT angle feel more natural to me. I'm still impressed how much more easily it climbs than the HD3, not to mention how solid and stable it is on the chunky descents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice to hear you're settling in on it. Good thing is, you know there's always an option to steepen it if needed. It'd be cool if all brands designed their bikes with 2 position adjustable rear geo, headset and compatibility with 2 different travel forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That won't help because 5 years from now we'd all be on sub-60 degree HA bikes anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Awesome stuff. I might need one of these. Too bad they don't make ones for Cdale Lefty.

Those Scalpels with 69 degree head tubes are just obselete.