HD4 VPs Ripmo- Mtbr.com

Thread: HD4 VPs Ripmo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

HD4 VPs Ripmo

Two awesome bikes, what do most of you see as the differentiator between the two. Obviously 29er vs 27.5 but what else are people using to decide between the two, what are some observations from those who have ridden both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The geo is pretty different. The STA and HTA are steeper on the Ripmo. Better for climbing IMO. I've relegated my HD4 to park or shuttle duty only after getting the Ripmo. It's a lot of fun going down. Just not as balanced for climbing/descending as the Ripmo. The Ripmo is faster pretty much everywhere that's not super steep or gnarly.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    The geo is pretty different. The STA and HTA are steeper on the Ripmo. Better for climbing IMO. I've relegated my HD4 to park or shuttle duty only after getting the Ripmo. It's a lot of fun going down. Just not as balanced for climbing/descending as the Ripmo. The Ripmo is faster pretty much everywhere that's not super steep or gnarly.
    This is what I was feeling after a weekend on the Ripmo, could totally see myself going to 170mm and maybe a bit slacker on the HTA on my HD4 and riding the Ripmo on the majority of rides...I guess Iím looking for a reason to keep my HD4 when I get a Ripmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Another owner of both, agree with BmanInTheD's comments. HD4 also has more progressive rear suspension so takes the big hits better, but Ripmo isn't far off once you fill the shock with spacers.

My Ripmo is set up with the same HA as my HD4 and it's better for 95% of my riding. The HD4 is a lot of fun, but ultimately I'll be selling it (if I can find a buyer).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My buddy has a new HD4, while I got the Ripmo. We bought them about a week apart.

He is way faster than I am, granted heís in better shape than me, and also weights about 60lbs less.

Heís on a L while Iím on an XL.

I think the progression in his shock has a lot to do with how fast his bike is. He is also running 2.6s while Iím running 2.5s.

I e ridden both and love both. The Ripmo, just felt like less of a departure from my stumpjumper than the HD. Yes itís a wildly different bike than the SJ but it just felt slightly more familiar.

The Ripmo is awesome, but I would not be disappointed on an HD in the least.

For a big guy like me the Ripmo just felt around 5% better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk