HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread

With more folks getting time on the HD3/X2 combo, I thought a dedicated tuning thread was in order. Weight, riding style/terrain, and any ride feedback. I find a good place to start is the base tune table published by Fox; setups below refer to adjustments relative to these suggested base tunes for a given rider weight: http://www.ridefox.com/2016/dl/bike/...20Guide-JD.pdf

Me: 200lbs ready to ride, XL HD3 w/ Pike up front. Mainly fire road climbs to flowy-to-rocky cascade singletrack descents. Enduro racer, occasionally ride burlier DH-type tails.

Setup 1: I followed Ibis's suggestion and went with the Fox suggested damping settings, but biased HSC to the firm side, 2 clicks less open than Fox suggests for my weight. I think this is to compensate for the falling rate at the end of the HD3's stroke; that's designed with a lower-volume and less linear air shock in mind, so you have to add HSC to avoid bottoming the high-volume X2. Set sag to 30% (~205 PSI for me). I found this to give a very controlled ride feel, but I was bottoming the shock on any drop over 2' to flat. Adding additional HSC made the shock feel stiffer in repeated hits (e.g. fast rock gardens) than I wanted.

Setup 2: Added 10 PSI, yielding 25% sag. Backed off HSC to the low end of Fox's suggested range, and reduced HSR and LSR to the lower end of this range too. This yielded a VERY plush feel, with ability to absolutely mow through rough stuff. But the shock was also really bouncy when climbing, and the bike felt a bit less controlled than I like over G-outs and jumps. It lost the taught, poppy feel I love with the HD3. I was also still able to bottom it on harder hits.

SO, current setup:

Setup 3: Added two volume reduction spacers, so currently with 4 out of 5 possible. Set spring to 30% sag (200 PSI for my weight). Backed off HSC to 4 clicks faster than Fox's suggestion. Set LSC to 2 clicks slower than suggested to control pedal bob & keep it high in high-G corners. HSR and LSR in the middle of the range. THIS setup I like. It feels like a much better version of the DBInline. Great small-bump responses, plenty plush, but ramps up well and doesn't bottom. Controlling bottom-out by adding spacers instead of dialing up HSC is more my speed. Great pedaling too. I haven't done a ton of jumping with this setup, and I may slow down rebound a tad for that application. I may also remove one spacer, going with 3 instead of 4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How do you think this X2 shock would pair with a Fox 34 TALAS 150/120mm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Strange, I'm the same weight as OP but 190psi nets me 30% sag on my large hd3. I'm also running pikes and doing similar riding but haven't had bad issues with bottoming.

Settings:
    LSR: 17
    HSR: 16
    LSC: 19
    HSC: 18

LSR/LSC are in the middle of the recommended and HSR/HSC are at the slower/more end of the range. I bottomed a few times which is why I added a click of HSC but now it only bottoms when I'm particularly careless. I added a click of HSR because the rear was popping a little more than the front off jumps, but it made the bike feel a little dull so I'll probably back it off and make the fork faster

mtbr member
    I'm around 200 ready to ride also. I added one additional spacer over the weekend. 30%sag=178psi for me on my xlarge frame with a 160 float on the front.

Before adding the spacer I was bottoming out a few times each ride, although I never felt it. I added one click of high speed compression which kept it a couple mm from bottoming out.

After adding the spacer I put the high speed compression back where I had it originally. So far I'm really liking it, did a really chuncky ride yesterday with about 4mm of travel left. Have not hit anything bigger than about 1 1/2 feet as far as jumps go, so I'll have to ride it this way for a little while to be sure.

I don't recall my settings exactly but they originally were all within the recommended settings by fox.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 08-17-2015 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    I find that this shock give pretty similar sag with a variety of PSI. I think this is related to large volume + the leverage ratio of the HD3, which is quite progressive up to about 30% sag (for great small-bump) and then levels off. So at 200lbs RTR, I can hit 15-17mm sag with anything from 180 to 205 PSI in the shock.

For you guys running 180-190 PSI, don't you bottom the shock out on drops over 3'? My challenge has been finding a pressure/spacer/HSC combo that give nice plush small/medium bump responses but won't bottom on big hits.

mtbr member
    It's a rare day I that I hit something with a 3 foot drop, it's usually by mistake following someone to closely in new terrain. For the type of chunky rock crawling I like to do with moderate sized jumps and drops so far so good adding the additional spacer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I did bottom on a ~4ft step down with a semi-flat landing, it certainly wasn't a harsh bottom though. Where are you guys buying the spacers?

mtbr member
    Ordered mine from my LBS who got them directly from fox I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Up to 200 PSI now, bottomed HARD on a rock roll with a big g-out at the bottom. LSC at the bottom of the range and HSC at the top of the range, both rebounds in the middle. The shock feels pretty firm so I'm gonna try some bands and lower PSI

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm 280lb before putting any riding gear on. I haven't ridden my bike yet but given I will be hitting 4 ft drops and riding rocky terrain, should I be thinking about getting some spacers in anticipation?

mtbr member
    If I were you, at your weight, I'd consider sending the shock off to Push for some custom shim stacks. Valving on modern suspension is generally built around riders in the 150-220 range, so major deviations beyond that can be tough to tune for. My GF at 115lbs basically can't get her rebound fast enough because her airspring is set so low.

But, with that said, yes I'd get a few spacers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for that Drewbird.

Creg, think TBSM might be able to help with sourcing them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For reference, I setup so for a long diverse ride, I bottom out only a couple times... Nothing harsh. This has always resulted in full use of travel and what seems to be fast riding. I ride in the 4-8 percentile, so reasonably fast, but not crazy fast, would like to get a little faster.

I think the only thing I need to play with is HSR and HSC as really quick brake bumps seem a little harsh.

I'm, 185lbs RTR, at 180-185psi, and the upper end of firm / slow recommended settings with 2 clicks more HSC, two spacers. I hit multiple 2-5' stepdowns but only 3-4' flat landings.

Curmudgeon
    Can someone in this thread please advise me as to where to procure volume reducers for the Fox X2?

-S

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by shif View Post
    Can someone in this thread please advise me as to where to procure volume reducers for the Fox X2?
    Your LBS Fox Dealer.

Or: FOX Shocks

Or:1.800.FOX.SHOX

- -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I just purchased a new HD3 with a Float X2. From what I understand, this comes with 2 volume reducers. How many should I order for getting fitted on my bike? I'm about 190 will all the gear. Is 1 or 2 enough? Want to make sure I order enough from Fox the first time
    I'm currently running 4 total (so I added 2) and love the feel. I'm about your size. So that's my recommendation!

mtbr member
    My LBS ordered the reducers for me, they came in a package with 4 of them in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I still haven't had any luck sourcing the spacers but I have made some progress on tuning. I have a pivot mach 4 which is also a DW bike but with a custom tuned fox CTD shock, I found this bike to be a lot more plush than my HD3 and I had read that the custom tune was very low compression. I left the HSC in place but dropped 5 clicks of LSC with very little impact on how the bike pedalled. There was a little more movement than I experience on the pivot so I settled on 4 clicks less than recommended after trying more and less.

Current settings
    195 PSI (30% sag)
    LSR: 17
    HSR: 15
    LSC: 15
    HSC: 17

I feel like I'm heading in the right direction so I'm planning to increase PSI and back off compression even further in lieu of having access to volume reducers - hopefully our fox distro gets them in soon

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any setting suggestions for a 150lbs rider?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm pasting this from one of my other posts. I don't think my settings have changed much. I took the recommended settings, and added LSC to provide a bit more of a platform. I love getting out of the saddle so I was trying to prevent excessive bob. I'm very happy with these settings.

2017 X2 w/ climbswitch (the revised version with the red limiter)
    Rider weight: ~150 lbs
    Shock Pressure: 150 psi
    LSR 18
    HSR 17
    LSC 17 (added 3 clicks for pedaling support)
    HSC 18
    2 Volume Spacers

Well Biked
    I'm curious how much sag you guys have settled on. Have you stayed with the 17mm 30% sag or gone with more, or less? I tend to find I like more sag for more downhill biased rides, when it's steep and chunky. I still haven't found and all around perfect tune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Those settings are clicks out from clockwise fully closed to counter clockwise fully open? If that's the case wouldn't more clicks give you a faster compression and therefore less support?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Generally, you count the clicks from fully open, i.e. no damping at all, and it is turned as far as it will go counter-clockwise. Adding clicks would then add more damping and provide more support for a pedaling platform when on the low-speed compression knob.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you want a DWL recommendation for the X2, then go to the Pivot website.
    PIVOT has a chart that covers clicks from FULL OPEN! Opposite of Fox website. Also, they recommend slower rebound and lighter compression in their shock set-up pdf.

AND..... I initially added air to the X2 and cycled several times before adding more air. Ended up with 230 - 240 psi to achieve 17-18mm of sag. That is at odds with my rider weight of 210-215. BUT, after talking with Salespunk he said that actual best method is cycling the shock 10 times after each 10 PSI. WTF!?? Well, I did not have the patience for that, but did re-add air from zero and cycling after every 15 or 20 PSI. Big difference.....final PSI was 210 for same sag. So am convinced that overkill adding air is not to be dismissed, especially for the heavier riders out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I purchased hd3 frame and it came with x2 shock. I opened the can to see what spacers are installed. I have one large red spacer with do not remove warning on it. In addition, there are 2 orange spacers. Does this mean i have 2 spacers in? Does the red one count? Is this amount of spacers good starting point?. I am 185 rtr, dont do drops over 3' ride rocky colorado front range trails.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The orange spacers are what you can tune with. I would say your weight is right in where the factory settings are tuned for. I bought the 2018 X2 for mine which is slightly different. The factory settings are pretty close to on. I moved some things maybe a couple clicks. I also ride Colorado terrain, FTC area.

Have fun with the HD3, it has been my favorite bike to date.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    The orange spacers are what you can tune with. I would say your weight is right in where the factory settings are tuned for. I bought the 2018 X2 for mine which is slightly different. The factory settings are pretty close to on. I moved some things maybe a couple clicks. I also ride Colorado terrain, FTC area.

Have fun with the HD3, it has been my favorite bike to date.
    yeah, really excited to get it built. i am still on HD with 650b wheels.

what do you mean by factory settings? do you mean the settings on fox website?
    how do i tell what year is my x2?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    yeah, really excited to get it built. i am still on HD with 650b wheels.

what do you mean by factory settings? do you mean the settings on fox website?
    how do i tell what year is my x2?
    If you post a picture of your shock, someone should be able to identify the year by the graphics on the shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pictures of the shock
    HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread-1017181938.jpg
    HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread-1017181937.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Cavo,

Your X-2 looks very similar to my 2017 X-2, I would start with Fox’s website for factory setting. I am around your weight and ended up taking a few clicks of high and low speed compression out of the factory settings.

Really happy with the shock and the HD3.

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    great thanks. i was searching images last night and actually think this is 2018 model x2.
    2017 has shiny black stickers on main can, 2018 has grey ones. but the main difference i found is 2017 doesn have little screw that needs to be removed when taking off the can. 2018 model has the screw and so does mine.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    the main difference i found is 2017 doesn have little screw that needs to be removed when taking off the can. 2018 model has the screw and so does mine.
    Then the 2017 X2 (and earlier) are the ones that got recalled. For the next model year, Fox added the screw and lowered the max pressure to 250 psi and limited the number of tokens you could add by adding a red spacer.

Here are some pics of my 2018 X2:

2018 Fox X2 shock with climb switch - MTBR Classifieds

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yeah, thats how mine looks. even though piggyback graphics seem yellow on mine, they are in fact orange

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My X2 just came back from the service. now after a few rides the clevis is touching the seatstay when not sitting on the bike. this definately wasnt there when i pressured it (i cycled the shock few times to level the pressure in the neg chamber)
    Is this normal? I dont remember it being there before service, but may be wrong....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My X2 just came back from the service. now after a few rides the clevis is touching the seatstay when not sitting on the bike. this definately wasnt there when i pressured it (i cycled the shock few times to level the pressure in the neg chamber)
    Is this normal? I dont remember it being there before service, but may be wrong....
    EDIT: i put in the clevis the other way. so false alarm. now it's all good
    Last edited by egzah; 10-23-2018 at 02:55 AM.

aka bOb
    yeah, thats how mine looks. even though piggyback graphics seem yellow on mine, they are in fact orange
    Should have a 3 or 4 digit code (can't remember) on it you can plug into Fox's website and it will tell you exactly what it is. I believe a 2018 will have a screw holding the air can on and earlier won't??

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have a 2018 X2 on my HD3.
    From fully open my settings are at Ibis recommendation from the manual:

HSR: 14 clicks
    LSR: 17 clicks
    HSC: 16 clicks
    LSC: 18 clicks

I weigh 65kg, so say 68kg/ 150lbs in riding gear.
    180psi gives me ~30% sag.

Small bump is excellent on the shock, however, mid stroke support is almost non-existent? On ~1ft+ drops it feels ok, anything bigger and I use full travel (although not a harsh bottom out). On repeated multiple hits - even pretty small ones - the shock just seems to give up even trying and becomes very harsh and out of control.

We're not talking WC tracks here either, just local rooty stuff. I also don't consider myself a particularly aggressive rider.

I ordered some volume spacers as I assumed due to the HD3 linear linkage I needed to add some ramp up. On opening the can I found 2 already installed , in addition to the big red "Do not remove" band. Fox states the maximum spacers for the shock is 2.

I noticed that Fox state for the 2018 model:

"The Float X2 and DHX2 get a lighter oil, which gives it a more useable range, particularly in the Open setting."

So, 3 questions, firstly, has anyone else had this problem with a 2018 X2, and secondly, has anyone thrown caution to the wind and used more than the 2 recommended spacers in the shock? Thirdly, any other suggestions?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyJenkins View Post
    So, 3 questions, firstly, has anyone else had this problem with a 2018 X2, and secondly, has anyone thrown caution to the wind and used more than the 2 recommended spacers in the shock? Thirdly, any other suggestions?
    I'm 175 fairly aggressive rider and I run 3 spacers in my 2018 x2 with my air pressure around 205 without issues.

I run a lot different settings than most
    From full in
    LSC 11
    HSC 10-13 depending what I'm riding
    HSR 0
    LSR 6

I use 95% of my travel daily with no bottom outs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2018 X2 on my HD3.
    From fully open my settings are at Ibis recommendation from the manual:

HSR: 14 clicks
    LSR: 17 clicks
    HSC: 16 clicks
    LSC: 18 clicks

I weigh 65kg, so say 68kg/ 150lbs in riding gear.
    180psi gives me ~30% sag.

If I'm looking at the same manual as you are, with the Mojo HD3 with Fox X2, all the clicks that they mention in their table are from fully CLOSED, not from open. In other words, from turned all the way to the stop in the CW direction, then backed out, counting clicks in the CCW direction. Based on the PSI you state (180) your numbers match up in the table for 180 PSI, so I think we are on the same page. Are you counting clicks from the fully closed position?

The manual I am looking at is named: Ibis_Owners_Guide_2016_Book_Rev_G_FINAL_060216.pdf .

HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread-fox-x2-mojo-hd3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    If I'm looking at the same manual as you are, with the Mojo HD3 with Fox X2, all the clicks that they mention in their table are from fully CLOSED

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fox X2 Mojo HD3.jpg 
Views:	1295 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	1222260
    Sorry, I meant closed

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I'm 175 fairly aggressive rider and I run 3 spacers in my 2018 x2
    Looking at the red "DO NOT REMOVE" band, it looks to be the same volume as a spacer? So removing the red band and replacing with a orange spacer wouldn't make too much difference to the ramp up I would of thought?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread-20181025_155536.jpg

Red DO NOT REMOVE band is a c shape, but same height as 2 orange bands. I think 4 orange would be needed to make a difference over the standard 2+ red band?

aka bOb
    Sorry, I meant closed

Looking at the red "DO NOT REMOVE" band, it looks to be the same volume as a spacer? So removing the red band and replacing with a orange spacer wouldn't make too much difference to the ramp up I would of thought?
    They say the orange takes up a little more volume but your right it's not much. Maybe I will do some measuring later, should be able to figure it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just let all the air out, reset all the dials and went through the setup process again.

Pretty sure the shock is broken, the firm lever does nothing (i've never used it before), but the lsc and hsc dials do next to nothing, and the rebound very very little. It's only a month old, so I'll report back once it's been looked at.

Thanks for the help.

aka bOb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181025_155536.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	1222271

Red DO NOT REMOVE band is a c shape, but same height as 2 orange bands. I think 4 orange would be needed to make a difference over the standard 2+ red band?
    After further review and some fairly accurate measuring (insert facepalm) The red spacer4 with bands displaces a tad more volume than the a single orange spacer. Must be that I run more HSC and a tad less sag (25%) is why I don't bottom out on big hits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, I meant closed
    Cool. I figured that you had done it correctly but just hadn't noted it in your post. Besides, adding too much compression damping would make it harder to blow through the travel, and Ibis's dw-link bikes seem to work best with light to moderate compression damping. You'd definitely notice it being at the wrong end of those damping circuits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Besides, adding too much compression damping would make it harder to blow through the travel, and Ibis's dw-link bikes seem to work best with light to moderate compression damping. You'd definitely notice it being at the wrong end of those damping circuits.
    Ok, so surprisingly TFTuned put the shock on the dyno and said it's working as it should. They explained how the 2018 model has lighter oil and revised damping to reduce the usable window (rather than having extremes at either end you would never use).

This is backed up here: https://bikerumor.com/2017/04/20/201...orks-get-evol/

• The ports and flow paths for the oil were also improved, helping it move more freely through the circuits. For smaller, lighter riders, this means the shock will feel more open and supple.
    • The Float X2 and DHX2 get a lighter oil, which gives it a more useable range, particularly in the Open setting.
    • In particular, the lighter weight oil won’t ramp it up as quickly, so it feels more linear.
    Whilst this might be good for other bikes, sounds not ideal for the HD3. I'm fairly confident if I could fit 2 or 3 more volume spacers it would feel pretty great, but that's not an option.

I'm also surprised as it makes the firm lever redundant. On my shock at 180psi you couldn't tell if it was on or off.

TFTuned are going to replace the light tune oil currently in the shock with medium tune. Hoping this doesn't kill the small bump as that's why I bought the shock in the first place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok, so surprisingly TFTuned put the shock on the dyno and said it's working as it should. They explained how the 2018 model has lighter oil and revised damping to reduce the usable window (rather than having extremes at either end you would never use).

This is backed up here: https://bikerumor.com/2017/04/20/201...orks-get-evol/

Whilst this might be good for other bikes, sounds not ideal for the HD3. I'm fairly confident if I could fit 2 or 3 more volume spacers it would feel pretty great, but that's not an option.

I'm also surprised as it makes the firm lever redundant. On my shock at 180psi you couldn't tell if it was on or off.

TFTuned are going to replace the light tune oil currently in the shock with medium tune. Hoping this doesn't kill the small bump as that's why I bought the shock in the first place.
    I fitted 4 spacers in mine but only weight 155lb dont use more than 150psi in the shock have heard the spacer limit is more applicable to riders that have to max out pressure on the shock.

aka bOb
    My 2018 x2 was not working right on mine at all, even with LSC and HSC wide open if was still pounding the crap out of me. I did some testing with a Shockwiz that confirmed what I was feeling but had no adjustment left. I sent it in to Dirtlabs for a rebuild with custom tune but they said they don't do tuning to the x2 due to it's adjustability. When I got it back I hesitantly set it up to the HSC/LSC settings they recommended and it was fairly spot on. I run a bit more HSC on jump lines but that's pretty normal. I'm not sure what they did but now my numbers go against what everything else says and it rides great. I tune my rebound according to Vorspung and that works out great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    My 2018 x2 was not working right on mine at all, even with LSC and HSC wide open if was still pounding the crap out of me

I run a lot different settings than most
    From full in
    LSC 11
    HSC 10-13 depending what I'm riding
    HSR 0
    LSR 6
    by "from fully in" do you mean from maximum/closed (clockwise) or min/open?

Was it bottoming out which made it harsh originally?

EDR
    , has anyone thrown caution to the wind and used more than the 2 recommended spacers in the shock? Thirdly, any other suggestions?

Yes. there is a video that I will try to find on YouTube of a guy in a suspension shop in the UK who does just that for his rider. He has no qualms about it and explains that if you are a lightweight Rider or fairly light weight and are using nowhere near the maximum air pressure for the can, then it is a non-issue to remove the red stopper and replace it with a volume spacer. For heavier riders or those who are at the near limit of the air can pressure than this would be a bad idea.

aka bOb
    by "from fully in" do you mean from maximum/closed (clockwise) or min/open?

Was it bottoming out which made it harsh originally?
    From full closed (clockwise)

No, it had too much LSC (just by a little bit) but way too much HSC even at full counterclockwise. I never had an issue with bottoming out and like I said I'm a fairly aggressive rider. (pic for reference) I keep thinking about getting the shockwiz again but I like the way it's riding so.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HD3 w/ Fox X2 tuning thread-20882322_459383437753570_4320007147939011902_n.jpg  

Last edited by bdundee; 10-27-2018 at 10:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    am i getting the right impression that 2018 x2 is not the best suited shock for hd3? i bought hd3 frame frame recently and it came with the shock, i bought it dirt cheap so i have some reserve to get different shock. i originally was quite excited about x2, read many great reviews. the last few posts here tell different story though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    No, it had too much LSC (just by a little bit) but way too much HSC. I never had an issue with bottoming out and like I said I'm a fairly aggressive rider. (pic for reference)
    Out of interest, do you know what compression tune your X2 has? have you entered the code into the Fox site and then I think it tells you. Mine was CL (Compression light). TFTuned are changing it to a CM.

I've hit some drops roughly that size on mine, although going much slower than it looks like you are. I would 100% use all travel on that, even when I hit jumps or drops half that size I can easily use 85% travel.

It doesn't feel harsh though. The big issue is multiple hits in a row. The shock packs down and just turns the bike into a hardtail. Increasing rebound improved this a little, but the shock is just too soft in the middle. Just bouncing on it in my garage I can use ~70% travel. Adding too much air then gives me no sag and is rough on small bumps.

All of this coupled with the fact that the firm lever does nothing and the LSC/HSC very very little is why I assumed there was an issue with the shock. I have no reason to doubt TFTuned though when they say it is working as it should.

am i getting the right impression that 2018 x2 is not the best suited shock for hd3? i bought hd3 frame frame recently and it came with the shock, i bought it dirt cheap so i have some reserve to get different shock. i originally was quite excited about x2, read many great reviews. the last few posts here tell different story though.
    @bdundee seems to have no issues with the 2018 on his HD3.

I however have been very dissapointed so far. I previously had a X-Fusion Vector Air on the bike and whilst the X2 is much more supple off the top, everywhere else the X-Fusion runs rings around the X2.

Hopefully TFTuned will get the shock back to me early next week and I'll get a ride on it and report back here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Are they just changing oil weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Are they just changing oil weight?
    As far as I know,yes. I'll ask them what they did once I get it back.

Been doing a little digging on the X2 on other linear bikes (as I don't think the HD3 is that unique a linkage design)

Found this thread:
    https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threa...oat-x2.279942/

In that there are a few others describing the same situation I found:

if I set the correct sag instead of roll over obstacle the rear wheel sink far in the travel and get stuck for lack of better term, there is no pop, bunny hop it's super hard, feels like a bike with 50% sag and rebound all closed,
    I've owned and quickly sold a few of those newer Fox shocks myself. I couldn't get them to be very responsive and I felt like they just locked up too easily and then randomly fell through the stroke at certain times too. I thought they were great for hammering through huge hits over and over but pretty useless for trail trash compliance.
    I'm hoping the heavier oil gives some better mid-stroke without losing too much of the nice suppleness off the top. If it's still bottoming out I might give 4 volume spacers a go as long as the pressure is under 200psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Annoyingly looks like the 2019 X2 has a bottom out bumper, which also aids progressiveness.

https://nsmb.com/articles/long-term-...rip2-float-x2/

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Yes. there is a video that I will try to find on YouTube of a guy in a suspension shop in the UK who does just that for his rider. He has no qualms about it and explains that if you are a lightweight Rider or fairly light weight and are using nowhere near the maximum air pressure for the can, then it is a non-issue to remove the red stopper and replace it with a volume spacer. For heavier riders or those who are at the near limit of the air can pressure than this would be a bad idea.
    The man, the legend Chris Porter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOnkLVl5gU

aka bOb
    Out of interest, do you know what compression tune your X2 has? have you entered the code into the Fox site and then I think it tells you. Mine was CL (Compression light). TFTuned are changing it to a CM.

Here ya go, 2018, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, FOX, AM, 7.875, 2.25, 0.3 Spacer x2, CM, Orange Logo, N/M

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Here ya go, 2018, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, FOX, AM, 7.875, 2.25, 0.3 Spacer x2, CM, Orange Logo, N/M
    GREAT!

Ok, so you have a MEDIUM compression tune! (CM) , mine is a light (CL)

This makes sense as to why you are not having the same issues as me.

There is hope then that I can get this X2 to work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I plugged in mine and it looks like it is 2017.

2017, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Ibis, Mojo HD3, 7.875, 2.25, 0.3 Spacer x1, CL, Gold Logo

It specifically lists hd3 but the tune is cl. From what i understand 2017 x2s are different and light tune is ok on these. I would assume so since the bike model is listed as well? Only thing that confuses me is 1 spacer listed vs 2 spacers actually in the shock, in addition to red one not to be removed

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I plugged in mine and it looks like it is 2017.

2017, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Ibis, Mojo HD3, 7.875, 2.25, 0.3 Spacer x1, CL, Gold Logo

It specifically lists hd3 but the tune is cl. From what i understand 2017 x2s are different and light tune is ok on these.
    Yes from the marketing blurb from Fox, 2018 and 2019 X2s have lighter oil than previous years and:

The ports and flow paths for the oil were also improved, helping it move more freely through the circuits. For smaller, lighter riders, this means the shock will feel more open and supple.

EDR
    The man, the legend Chris Porter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOnkLVl5gU
    yeah that's the video I saw, thanks for posting that.

I just plugged my numbers into the fox website and it looks like I have a 2019 version of the X2. My air can does not unscrew but rather simply slides off once removing a retaining clip (I haven't done this myself yet just basing this on what I saw on the Fox website). It's odd that my bike came with a 2018 Fox manual though they probably don't even have 2019 manuals published yet.

So far I don't have any complaints with this shock however I am still unable to ride on actual trails due to a knee injury. But for simply riding around my local park and some dirt paths it feels like I would expect it to. There is zero initial stiction to get the thing moving and it seems to ramp up fairly quickly with the basic tune I've done to it so far. When flipping the lever to the firm position it makes a dramatic difference, not sure I'll ever really find a reason to use that setting but we'll see. I suppose slogging up a long paved road or smooth fire road.

I purchased extra spacers at the time I bought the bike but since I haven't opened the can yet I'm not even certain there's room for them. Should I need them.

it also looks like there may be a change on the new shocks that won't allow you to install the spacers in a location that fox doesn't want you to. The diameter is larger and won't accept the spacers on that location, at least that's what I saw on their video. I need to open up the can and see what's going on.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-27-2018 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

I just plugged my numbers into the fox website and it looks like I have a 2019 version of the X2. My air can does not unscrew but rather simply slides off once removing a retaining clip (I haven't done this myself yet just basing this on what I saw on the Fox website). It's odd that my bike came with a 2018 Fox manual though they probably don't even have 2019 manuals published yet.

So far I don't have any complaints with this shock however I am still unable to ride on actual trails due to a knee injury. But for simply riding around my local park and some dirt paths it feels like I would expect it to. There is zero initial stiction to get the thing moving and it seems to ramp up fairly quickly with the basic tune I've done to it so far. When flipping the lever to the firm position it makes a dramatic difference, not sure I'll ever really find a reason to use that setting but we'll see. I suppose slogging up a long paved road or smooth fire road.
    What tune does your 2019 have? And is this on a HD3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Does anyone know what oil weight and or brand fox uses in x2? 2017model vs later models? Rebuild instructions say fox r3 5wt, but doesnt say what model this is for. Instructions say they are for 2016-2018 models

EDR
    What tune does your 2019 have? And is this on a HD3?
    Mojo3, CM (good thing it's not CL as I'm 190lbs geared up right now)

2019, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Ibis, Mojo 3, 7.875, 2.0, 0.3 Spacer x1, CM, Neutral, Gray Logo

Based on this description I'm guessing it has one spacer installed (max limit of two)

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    So the X2 came back from TFTuned, they adjusted the high speed shim stack to add more support. One effect of this is the firm lever now makes a big difference.

After riding yesterday and today my settings are:

68kg/150lbs in gear.

4 volume spacers
    180psi - This gives me 14mm / 25% sag
    HSR From maximum 16
    LSR From maximum 19
    HSC From maximum 18
    LSC From maximum 17

There is now a lot more support at sag which has improved pedaling, without any real loss of small bump which is good news. I still find I can use a large amount of travel off pretty small drops, but no harsh feeling on landing. Most importantly the packing down and locking up of the rear end on multiple fast steps/holes has gone.

I've still got lots of compression damping to play with so pretty sure I can get it feeling good for bigger stuff.

Overall I like the X2, but really feel it needs to option of more volume spacers for linear bikes.

mtbr member
    i just built up for me new HD3 recently and messed with x2 for a while. after realizing that LSC affects HSC and vice versa (same for rebound) i ended up just simplifying the setup to only using LSC and LSR dial and i really like the results. i just keep HSR in full closed and HSC 2 clicks from full open and dont touch them. set my rebound with LSR and my platform with LSC. if i am expecting long day with long climbs i just firm LSC by a click or two and speed up LSR by a click. or just keep it as is and use climb switch. works very well for me.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i just built up for me new HD3 recently and messed with x2 for a while. after realizing that LSC affects HSC and vice versa (same for rebound) i ended up just simplifying the setup to only using LSC and LSR dial and i really like the results. i just keep HSR in full closed and HSC 2 clicks from full open and dont touch them. set my rebound with LSR and my platform with LSC. if i am expecting long day with long climbs i just firm LSC by a click or two and speed up LSR by a click. or just keep it as is and use climb switch. works very well for me.
    That's how I set my rebound (per Vorsprung) but I didn't realize compression was the same way. Need to do some looking into that.

mtbr member
    That's how I set my rebound (per Vorsprung) but I didn't realize compression was the same way. Need to do some looking into that.
    yeah, somebody mentioned to me that this is how Vorsprung tune. i also read about opposite approach of keeping HSR open all the way, but i didnt like it that way.
    Also, i had HSC all the way open, but looks like this way LSC dial has no or minimal effect, so i added 2 clicks and use LSC to add platform as needed. maybe 1 click of HSC is enough too. i am planing to test this setting next.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi, I want to buy a fox X2 for my HD3, I can choose between one of the 2018 tune compression CM and another of the 2017 tune compression CL, I'm 180lbs geared up right and I'm not aggressive rider.
    Any advice? Which one do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonsote View Post
    Hi, I want to buy a fox X2 for my HD3, I can choose between one of the 2018 tune compression CM and another of the 2017 tune compression CL, I'm 180lbs geared up right and I'm not aggressive rider.
    Get an Cane Creek DBAIR IL. I like it more than the X2 is replaced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonsote View Post
    I can't recall if it was the 18 or the 19 that went to the bigger air can, but definitely get the latest you can fit for that reason. It's plusher and can take more volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    "Get an Cane Creek DBAIR IL. I like it more than the X2 is replaced."

What is your weight and settings if you have them written down? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post
    "Get an Cane Creek DBAIR IL. I like it more than the X2 is replaced."

What is your weight and settings if you have them written down? Thanks
    Check you PMs