HD3 vs HD5- Mtbr.com

Thread: HD3 vs HD5

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

HD3 vs HD5

Has anyone gone from and HD3 to an HD5? What would I be giving up looking for a used HD3 at this point? Can the HD5 fit a longer dropper given the same leg length? Most standards and interfaces seem consistent (assuming boost wheels and the HD3). Would the steeper HA on the HD3 still be better for riding at 80%, and slower trails, or is the new geometry trend that much better all around?

About my bike history: Currently I'm riding an Evil Following V1. It's good but I feel that Ibis fits what I want better. Maybe I'm just most used to Ibis/dwlink. I've had a Mojo, Mojo SL, and HD in the past. I've demo'd a HD3 and loved it but wasn't in the market at the time. Recently demo'd a Pivot Mach 5.5 that I liked (but also could have been the sweet Moab trails). I think I really enjoyed the 2.6 wide tires. I tried a Ripmo briefly but the suspension felt off (rough, maybe too much tire pressure or compression, can't tell) and I didn't have time to tweak it.

Help me out with some internet opinions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Why not HD4? There are some sweet deals on these now that the HD5 is out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    HD3? But why?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Zef,

Long time no talk. Didnít see you at the migration this year. So the HD5 is an evolution of the Hd4 with better tuning, longer fork, etc. I rode the HD4 before getting the HD3. To me, the main difference is length. The HD4/5 is a loooong bike. It can ride up and over just about anything up and down the trail. But that length also makes it less maneuverable. Line choices need to be made in advance and it needs to be leaned over to turn. It is a true enduro bike. The HD3 is more of an all mountain bike, much like the Ripmo.

The Ripmo, set up correctly for the rider, is very similar to the HD3 in terms of ride feel and characteristics.

Just my two cents.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Zef,
    The Ripmo, set up correctly for the rider, is very similar to the HD3 in terms of ride feel and characteristics.
    ...as someone who went from HD3 to Ripmo, I approve this message.

The main things I notice about the Ripmo coming from the HD3 -
    • Better climbing in all types of trail.
    • A bit more neutral at high speed (IMO: 29" wheels + head angle + length).
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zef95 View Post
    Has anyone gone from and HD3 to an HD5? What would I be giving up looking for a used HD3 at this point? Can the HD5 fit a longer dropper given the same leg length? Most standards and interfaces seem consistent (assuming boost wheels and the HD3). Would the steeper HA on the HD3 still be better for riding at 80%, and slower trails, or is the new geometry trend that much better all around?

About my bike history: Currently I'm riding an Evil Following V1. It's good but I feel that Ibis fits what I want better. Maybe I'm just most used to Ibis/dwlink. I've had a Mojo, Mojo SL, and HD in the past. I've demo'd a HD3 and loved it but wasn't in the market at the time. Recently demo'd a Pivot Mach 5.5 that I liked (but also could have been the sweet Moab trails). I think I really enjoyed the 2.6 wide tires. I tried a Ripmo briefly but the suspension felt off (rough, maybe too much tire pressure or compression, can't tell) and I didn't have time to tweak it.

Help me out with some internet opinions.
    Iíve just sold my HD3 and was going to get a HD5.... but.. I also use my bike for trail duties as well as Enduro racing occasionally..
    so
    after a lot of consideration and comparing I ended up getting a great deal on a HD4(frame only) as I feel the HD5 seemed a little too slack and aggressive for a bike that I need to be a bit of a jack of all trades..
    Thereís my 2 cents...

I would however suggest a Ripmo that is set up properly may be what youíre looking for if budget allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    No experience with the HD4 or HD5, but I do love my HD3. For what I do, the relatively tame Bay Area trails + stairways + some steep drop thingies, is the perfect bike.

I use it with a 150 Pike in front that helps with the already good climbing, Nobby Nic 2.6 in front and Rocket Ron 2.6 in the rear. Mega traction on the uphill with the RR, and solid footing down!

You can probably find a used one for a ridiculous price (like this noe https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Ibis-M...MAAOSwlTBdq8sr) and be very very happy with it

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I had an HD3 for ~2.5 years and just upgraded to an HD5. I only have ~4 rides on it so far, but I'm really liking it. A few early impressions:

• The difference in wheelbase is noticeable -- it takes more input to get the HD5 leaned over compared to the HD3.
    • You can fit a much longer dropper on the HD5. I had a 125mm Fox Transfer on the HD3. I probably could have fit a 150mm OneUp v2. I have a 180mm OneUp v2 on the HD5, and probably could have gone longer. I found that having the extra clearance makes the bike easier to jump/manual/etc.
    • The HD5 is faster for me, which you'd expect from the longer/slacker geometry.
    • The pedaling efficiency of the DW-link is certainly there on the HD5, though I don't have enough rides on it to have a good sense for how it compares to the HD3.
    • The HD5 also climbs well. With the steeper STA there are some climbs I think it does better at than the HD3. On technical climbs the longer WB can become a bit of an issue, though.

I demoed a Ripmo as well and actually had one on order before switching to the HD5. I'd agree with others that the Ripmo is probably the more natural successor to the HD3 (i.e., a "big" trail bike), whereas the HD5 is more focused on descending. It's hard to say for certain without knowing where you're riding or what your 80% is like, but if you're looking for a less-aggressive all-around bike I'd say a used HD3 is a great choice. However, if you frequently ride steeper terrain the HD5 might be a better choice.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi,

I have HD3 with boost. I'm thinking to get HD5 frame and transfer everything to it:

Fork: Pike
    Shock: Cane Creek DBAir IL (really like it)
    Drivetrain: XRT 11 speed
    Wheels: Ibis 742

Do you think the fork/shock will work well with HD5 frame? - I have a friend who will pick up my HD3 frame as soon as i get HD5 frame.
    Please share your experiences or opinions.

Thanks so much in advance.

KD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    When you say Pike fork, I'm guessing it's a 160mm coming from an HD3. I initially built my HD5 with my 160mm TALAS, worked fine.

You are doing mostly what I did, though I bought my frame with the X2. I used to run a CC IL, but didn't like the fact you had to send it out for a rebuild, so I went back to fox.

Using the 160mm fork will steepen the HA about half a degree and also steepen the seat tube angle. You will loose a tad of ground clearance.

Most of those might be desirable depending on what you do.

You obviously won't be riding the Ibis traction tune, but for me it has not mattered much. Tune to how you like it. The X2 that came with the frame is the only part with traction tune. My 170 Float forks when I finally got them are off the shelf, not Ibis valving. I asked Fox about what it would take to change it, they recommended I don't, Just tune with what's there. I'm still riding and tuning, but I'm not at any extreme setting wise and things feel OK.

Short answer - Do it

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for sharing @Joel_l

And Yes, The Pike is 160mm from the HD3. The CC DBAir IL is almost new and only got less than 100 miles.

I think if I just swap out the frame will be saved me some $$$$ than get a new HD5 - My XTR drivetrain is at least 80% life left because I used my SC Hightower all the time.

Thanks again I'll start looking for HD5 frame.

KD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Keep in mind, if you are doing a 2x11, there is no front derailleur mount on the HD5, you will go 1x.

I actually set my HD3 up as a 1x before buying the HD5 frame just to see if I liked it. I mostly like low gears to climb. I went to the Shimano 10x51 12 speed and like it fine.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My current setup is 1X11...... no plan to go back to 2X.

How's the climb on HD5?

I have 11X46 if not enough i can change the cassette Runrace 11X50 11 speed, my rear XTR derailleur is SGS long case,....

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    Keep in mind, if you are doing a 2x11, there is no front derailleur mount on the HD5, you will go 1x.

I actually set my HD3 up as a 1x before buying the HD5 frame just to see if I liked it. I mostly like low gears to climb. I went to the Shimano 10x51 12 speed and like it fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I climb better on the HD5 with the 170mm fork than I did on the HD3 and the TALAS shortened.

My HD3 has the Sunrace 11x50. It worked well.

It ends up, my HD5 has a lower low, but also a lower high. So far I'm not missing the higher gears.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great info, thanks again for sharing....I'll probably go for black frame......my HD3 is green.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    I climb better on the HD5 with the 170mm fork than I did on the HD3 and the TALAS shortened.

My HD3 has the Sunrace 11x50. It worked well.

It ends up, my HD5 has a lower low, but also a lower high. So far I'm not missing the higher gears.