HD3 Shock Mount Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

HD3 Shock Mount Question

Hi everyone- I have a 2016 HD3 that I keep well maintained. Just went through my rear shock and replaced the polymer DU bushings and the Upper Shock Mount shaft and hardware that mounts the shock to the frame. The shock is the stock Fox Factory Float DPS 3pos w/Adj and EVOL Sleeve with Kashima Coat.

I put suspension grease on the small shaft when I mount through the shock and to the frame. I am also coat the exposed edges of the DU bushing with grease then slide the shock into the frame and assemble hardware. Using anti-seize on the hardware itself and washer. After several hours of riding I get the sqeaky/creaky noise back from this area.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post
    Hi everyone- I have a 2016 HD3 that I keep well maintained. Just went through my rear shock and replaced the polymer DU bushings and the Upper Shock Mount shaft and hardware that mounts the shock to the frame. The shock is the stock Fox Factory Float DPS 3pos w/Adj and EVOL Sleeve with Kashima Coat.

I put suspension grease on the small shaft when I mount through the shock and to the frame. I am also coat the exposed edges of the DU bushing with grease then slide the shock into the frame and assemble hardware. Using anti-seize on the hardware itself and washer. After several hours of riding I get the sqeaky/creaky noise back from this area.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    What are you torquing the hardware up to? Ibis updated the torque specs from 7 to 10 nm on the front hardware. Also make sure the bolts on both sides of the hardware are torqued directly, even though you're stopping both of them turning as you torque one side. Otherwise you might find you're a little low in torque on the side you're not using the torque wrench on.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    What are you torquing the hardware up to? Ibis updated the torque specs from 7 to 10 nm on the front hardware. Also make sure the bolts on both sides of the hardware are torqued directly, even though you're stopping both of them turning as you torque one side. Otherwise you might find you're a little low in torque on the side you're not using the torque wrench on.

Hope this helps
    Great input. Cleaned everything up and torqued to the new spec. Hopefully this resolves this issue. I was definately in the 4-5 nm range. Also printed out the latest torque sheet from IBIS website for my shop. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Fresh Tracks your recommendation was spot on and resolved the issue. Wish I knew this 3 1/2 years ago! Thank you!

mtbr member
    Fresh Tracks your recommendation was spot on and resolved the issue. Wish I knew this 3 1/2 years ago! Thank you!
    You're welcome!
    It solved my creaking issue. Glad it did the same for you.

Ride, Race, Live
    Oh brother I’m with you.
    Earlier this year I broke my Hd3.
    When I went to the Ibis factory to exchange my HD3 for an HD4 I told the tech of my chasing creaking stories. I got the “did you hear about the updated torque specs to address creaking”
    Literally as I handed him my HD3 frame in a dead pan voice “thanks” I said. In my head “that would have been good to know last,year”
    ug :facepalm