HD3 to HD5 size change??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

HD3 to HD5 size change??

Hi,

I'm still pondering getting an HD5. Right now I ride an HD3 in XL. When I look at the geometry of of the HD3 VS the HD5, it looks like the dimensions that affect fit, the HD3 XL is more similar to an HD5 L.

What do folks that have ridden both think? Is the extra length in the HD5 designed to get the rider over the front more?

Thoughts?

Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I owned an HD3 in XL. I just demod an HD5, also in XL. It was the right size.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a L HD3 and now a M HD5. I was trying to keep the bike agile/playful. Jury is out.

Hope that helps. haha

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride a LArge HD4, would goto a Med HD5.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Smile

I ride a large Mojo 3.And now i testet and ordered a med Mojo HD5,with a Rock Shox Reverb 200mm.
    I am 177cm height.
    Last edited by powderguide; 01-24-2020 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't forget to look at the max seat post height if your sizing down with the HD5. I'm maxed out on my seat post insertion (Bikeyoke 185mm HD5 medium) and it's about 1/4" lower than my norm (which isn't a deal-breaker).

mtbr member
    Why size down when the whole point of the new bike is to give you more room? Does it not defeat the purpose? If you want to make the new one feel like the old just keep riding that and save your cash. See what size they recommend and go with that. I'd throw a leg over none for sure before sizing down.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I actually like the reach on my HD3, but am interested in some of the geometry changes on the HD5. Sizing wise, I'm 6 feet with long arms, it's the bottom of an XL. Cockpit wise the large HD5 seems closer to the XL HD3.

I'll seem if there any HD5s at the LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= Lewis Buchanan weighs in at 76 kg and is 180 cm tall.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and a bit of change but a large wingspan (+3.5") and 35" inseam or so. I've been on large bikes for years because I felt they were more playful but have struggled with fit, not surprisingly. I recently test rode a HD5 and figured with the new geo numbers a Large would finally feel right. But nope, Kirk set me up on a XL and that's what I am ordering. Looking at the geo seems crazy to me but you really have to ride one. It certainly feels longer but handles so much better than all my previous rides (Troy, Nomad, Dixon). The seat tubes even with the long droppers are also getting to be too short for me.

At this point I'd rather have a ride that feels comfortable than something that might feel more snappy but sucks for fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I called my Ibis LBS, no HD5s, seems to be focusing on Ripmos. And there I thought I'd just go ride each and call it solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Im 59.5 on a large HD5 with 40mm stem. I was on a large HD3, HD4, and Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So far I'm leaning towards a large HD5. The reach is longer than my XL HD3 so out of saddle climbing should be better, effective top tube length is 5mm shorter but should be insignificant to feel. One hesitation is when I first built my HD3, I had a 90mm stem ( cause I had it ), and the in saddle feel was still fine. Since then, I went to wider bars and a 50mm stem and the bike still feels fine. So makes me thing the extra length in the HD5 XL is not an issue. The hesitation against the XL HD5 is it's looong. As someone else's point, maybe the large HD5 will be more nimble for me. I like to climb but am not a downhill bomber. The only thing I don't like about my HD3 is climbing. I have a hard time keeping the front end down, even with my Talas fork.

So, I'm leaning towards the large, but not confident enough to pull a trigger ( another hesitation is not being convinced I will be able to climb any better )