HD3 Cracked Frame at lower bottle cage- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Ride, Race, Live
    Reputation: Mick-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    211

    HD3 Cracked Frame at lower bottle cage

    This is a warning to anyone that has the bolts in the lower bottle cage.
    I tried getting up 3' step up, and slapped the frame against the edge.
    It wasn't fast at all, and not that hard, but hard enough apparently to catch one of the socket cap bolts and crack the frame.
    See attached photos.


    Sadly Ibis didn't have anymore HD3 frames so I had to get an HD4 frame and it's a totally different bike.

    If anyone still has these metal bolts on the bottom of their frame get rid of them. Get either delrin hex cap bolts, or aluminum round head socket cap bolts.
    New Ibis frames now come with delrin (plastic) hex cap screws in this position. Can you guess why?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HD3 Cracked Frame at lower bottle cage-ibis-frame-4.jpg  

    HD3 Cracked Frame at lower bottle cage-ibis-frame-2.jpg  

    HD3 Cracked Frame at lower bottle cage-ibis-frame-1.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    794
    Have you thought about getting it repaired?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Ride, Race, Live
    Reputation: Mick-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    Have you thought about getting it repaired?
    Oh that ship sailed.
    I got a new HD4 frame from Ibis. Pseudo warranty. They sold me a new frame at a discount (sans shock)
    This thread is for people to be warned about those bolts and the danger they pose

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,483
    nvm nvm im an ahole
    Last edited by FactoryMatt; 09-24-2019 at 09:55 AM.

  5. #5
    Ride, Race, Live
    Reputation: Mick-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    change your thread title. jeez.
    Why?
    It is or was an HD3 frame, and it did crack or smoosh at the lower bottle cage mount
    - Does anyone put a bottle cage down there?
    Excuse me for trying to warn others

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,483
    nvm nvm
    Last edited by FactoryMatt; 09-24-2019 at 09:55 AM.

  7. #7
    Ride, Race, Live
    Reputation: Mick-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by factorymatt View Post
    how bout, "don't run aftermarket cap screws in your downtube just b/c you want ti"

    they come with button heads for a reason.

    People search for cracked frames and this pops up, they think it's a frame failure due to design or manufacturing flaw, when it's really not.
    those are the bolts it came with

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,483
    for real? apologies then. I guess Ibis did fk up. Sorry man.

  9. #9
    Ride, Race, Live
    Reputation: Mick-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    for real? apologies then. I guess Ibis did fk up. Sorry man.
    So if anyone has these deep socket head screws get rid of them, replace with button head socket cap, delrin screws, or just fill the hole with some black RTV and be done with it.
    No one puts a bottle cage down there anyway.
    Note the new HD5 that came out today (9/24/19) does not have these.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    424
    Was your HD3 past the 7 year warranty or they just decided it wasn't a warranty claim?

  11. #11
    Ride, Race, Live
    Reputation: Mick-e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    Was your HD3 past the 7 year warranty or they just decided it wasn't a warranty claim?
    I'm not sure how to answer that.
    For starters there were no more HD3 Large frames left.
    I got an HD4 frame as part of Ibis' "No fault Warranty" Which means I paid a discounted rate for a new frame(no shock).
    I accepted this. although I think there's a bit of a design flaw in the stupid bolts. I'm the one that tried to get up a rock face as tall as me so it cold have been worse.
    Since I live in the bay area I drove down to Santa Cruz and in the Ibis factory we swapped the shock, headset and some other small parts onsite.
    It was pretty cool.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    I'm not sure how to answer that.
    For starters there were no more HD3 Large frames left.
    I got an HD4 frame as part of Ibis' "No fault Warranty" Which means I paid a discounted rate for a new frame(no shock).
    I accepted this. although I think there's a bit of a design flaw in the stupid bolts. I'm the one that tried to get up a rock face as tall as me so it cold have been worse.
    Since I live in the bay area I drove down to Santa Cruz and in the Ibis factory we swapped the shock, headset and some other small parts onsite.
    It was pretty cool.
    Sorry to hear about your frame, always sucks when something like that happens. I've cased a few step-ups in my time, including on my HD3, but thankfully never had that occur. But massive Kudos to accepting it as a bad design choice rather than going the other route, it's good to know people with common sense still exist.

    Have fun on your HD4, I know you will for sure!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    I'm not sure how to answer that.
    For starters there were no more HD3 Large frames left.
    I got an HD4 frame as part of Ibis' "No fault Warranty" Which means I paid a discounted rate for a new frame(no shock).
    I accepted this. although I think there's a bit of a design flaw in the stupid bolts. I'm the one that tried to get up a rock face as tall as me so it cold have been worse.
    Since I live in the bay area I drove down to Santa Cruz and in the Ibis factory we swapped the shock, headset and some other small parts onsite.
    It was pretty cool.
    What I mean is that you effectively got a crash replacement. This means that Ibis didn't treat it as a warranty replacement considering that the bolts are a bad/defective design. So they basically treated it like the crack was entirely your fault and offered you a discounted frame.

    You could have had a case for the frame being replaced at no cost to you considering the bad design choice of those bolts. Basing this on your original hd3 frame still being under the 7 year warranty.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,252
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    What I mean is that you effectively got a crash replacement. This means that Ibis didn't treat it as a warranty replacement considering that the bolts are a bad/defective design. So they basically treated it like the crack was entirely your fault and offered you a discounted frame.

    You could have had a case for the frame being replaced at no cost to you considering the bad design choice of those bolts. Basing this on your original hd3 frame still being under the 7 year warranty.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I'm all for lenient warranties, but that's a bit absurd man. This was clearly crash damage and they hooked him up with an hd4 for a discount. Seems like the right outcome.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I'm all for lenient warranties, but that's a bit absurd man. This was clearly crash damage and they hooked him up with an hd4 for a discount. Seems like the right outcome.
    Did I say it wasn't crash damage? There is a big difference when something breaks because of a design flaw vs when it's clearly the user's fault. This was not 100% on the OP as those bolts clearly should not have been there as they ended up causing more damage to the frame than they should have.

    Customers don't owe anything to a bike company when they buy their products. A different design or bolt wouldn't have caused any damage to the frame so this is on them.

    I am always baffled why bike industry customers are the only ones who feel that companies are doing them a favor by selling them their product.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    600
    def not a crash replacement

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    def not a crash replacement
    As in it should have been covered under warranty?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    712
    Looks like IBIS committed a very simple design flaw, using the wrong bolts.

    Agree, it is funny to think that Ibis "hooked him up" by selling him a new frame for $1000-1500 which costs Ibis ________ to make. Does it cost more than $100 to make a carbon frame in China?

    Hopefully Ibis notified bike shops to change out these bolts when they have the opportunity to do so.


    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    Did I say it wasn't crash damage? There is a big difference when something breaks because of a design flaw vs when it's clearly the user's fault. This was not 100% on the OP as those bolts clearly should not have been there as they ended up causing more damage to the frame than they should have.

    Customers don't owe anything to a bike company when they buy their products. A different design or bolt wouldn't have caused any damage to the frame so this is on them.

    I am always baffled why bike industry customers are the only ones who feel that companies are doing them a favor by selling them their product.
    **Merry Christmas**

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    274
    Clearly its design flow, i would expect from Ibis to give full warranty replacement, not crush replacement. And if you already had to pay for the new frame, at list i would expect them to sell you the new HD5 frame, not old stock of HD4 frames that they trying to get rid off, unless you insisted to get the HD4..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    That's where an old weightweenie trick comes handy: use nylon bolts! Too late now but I would not worry about the damage (nor start to think, as some are suggesting, that this should be covered under warranty ...)

    Sand a bit, put some epoxy over it and finish black or blue ... like new! Now put in the nylon bolts. (Or a piece of electric tape.)
    HD3 Cracked Frame at lower bottle cage-img_1382.jpg
    If you really want you could put a little strip of carbon fiber tape over it, or better 4 oz. S-glass, but I do not think it is necessary given what looks like very superficial damage.
    Last edited by Davide; 10-19-2019 at 12:37 PM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    324
    Interesting, I just went and looked at my HD3. It has plastic hex head screws installed as new.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,509
    I ordered me some black Ti flat heads. Thanks for he heads up. This is going to be my bike until its not longer rideable so need to give it all the safeguards I can get!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    Interesting, I just went and looked at my HD3. It has plastic hex head screws installed as new.
    Strange, because they will never really hold much weight ... if any ... mine were metal from the factory (as they should).

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    324
    My frame was factory new HD3 frame only. From what I can tell, from a later batch before being discontinued. I'll need to double check that they are really plastic, but sure seemed to be when I checked.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 05:58 PM
  2. seat post mounted bottle cage that wont loose bottle
    By Gabe3 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 08:28 PM
  3. Bottle/cage for LRG HD3 w/ X2 ?
    By ryanxj in forum Ibis
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-25-2015, 07:09 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Members who have read this thread: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.