mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hd3 with 29" wheelset

This is just a speculation on my side, but i have been playing with this idea for a while. I did similar with my HD and 650b wheelset and loved the outcome. Rear clearance was little tight but i had a go to rear tire that worked for me and since its pretty dry here in co, i never had issues. Slightly higher bb was also not bad thing for me on local rocky trails.

Now i wanted to jump ship and get on 29er this year, but couldt find one i would really like. I pretty much dedicated all summee to renting various 29ees and going to demo events. I am 6'2", so probably a prime candidate, but they just all felt too big and hard to throw around. Thats why i keep thinking if 29 wheels could fit hd3 frame, it could do it for me.
    Anyone done this?

aka bOb
    Boy I don't have mine together right now but if my memory serves me right it will not fit. I had small 2.8's on for a bit and was get rub marks from anything that would get stuck in the tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ha, a very interesting thought... 99% sure it won't fit, but I've got a Minion SS on a 24mm 29'er wheel, I'll chuck it up in the workstand tonight and let you know if it fits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So, gave it a shot this morning for you. The short answer is no chance at all

In my Large HD3 Frame, non-boost rear triangle, I tried the 29" 24mm Int Width wheelset with a Minion SS in 2.3", and the tyre bumped against the chainstay bridge well before the axles were even close to being in the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If you don't mind the shorter reach, a 29 front wheel with the 27.5 rear would be fun to try. I did this on my MojoSL with a 27.5 F and 26 R. It was fun.

mtbr member
    29 rear won't fit...not even with a 2.2 Spec Fast Track...

But what does work is a 27.5x2.6 back and 29x2.6 front..... awesome ploughing machine..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    This is just a speculation on my side, but i have been playing with this idea for a while. I did similar with my HD and 650b wheelset and loved the outcome. Rear clearance was little tight but i had a go to rear tire that worked for me and since its pretty dry here in co, i never had issues. Slightly higher bb was also not bad thing for me on local rocky trails.

Now i wanted to jump ship and get on 29er this year, but couldt find one i would really like. I pretty much dedicated all summee to renting various 29ees and going to demo events. I am 6'2", so probably a prime candidate, but they just all felt too big and hard to throw around. Thats why i keep thinking if 29 wheels could fit hd3 frame, it could do it for me.
    Anyone done this?
    For no other reason that it is the most boring topic on earth I cannot wait until the "wheels wars" are over. What has it been? 10 years? Every single time test numbers never support one wheel over the other, or show irrelevant gains of fraction of seconds one way or another .. but here we are spending thousands, obsoleting our bikes, and discussing with no end in sight imaginary upgrades!
    Last edited by Davide; 1 Week Ago at 02:38 PM.

Dude...
    I'm really having trouble understanding why you would want to do this. Why take a bike, designed for 27.5" wheels, and attempt to put 29" wheels on it, when there are so many bikes designed around 29" wheels? If you demo'd all those 29" bikes, and didn't like them, why would you like your HD3 with 29" wheels? Maybe I'm just not that creative. I had a 2.6 specialized butcher tire on the rear of my boost HD3, and any rocks that got caught in the tire would rub the chainstays. I quickly replaced it with a 2.5. Anyways, as others have said, there is no way a 29" wheel would come even close to fitting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    29 rear won't fit...not even with a 2.2 Spec Fast Track...

But what does work is a 27.5x2.6 back and 29x2.6 front..... awesome ploughing machine..
    What length fork are you running with the 29er front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So couple of things here worth pointing out:

1. 26” bike wheels are measured from the inner diameter, 27.5” , 29” and 650b are all measured at the outer diameter of the rim. This means that there is about a 1/2” difference between the 27.5” and 26” wheels, not 1 and 1/2” difference. This is why 650b wheels fit in 26” bikes but most 29” wheels don’t fit in 27.5” bikes. The exception being the 29/27.5”+ designed bikes.

2. In my opinion the evolution of the HD3 is not the HD4, but the new Ripmo. So if you really like your HD3 and you want to try 29” wheels, you should demo a Ripmo.

P.s. the HD3 is a great bike, that continues to show me new capabilities after riding it for a year and a half.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    2. In my opinion the evolution of the HD3 is not the HD4, but the new Ripmo. So if you really like your HD3 and you want to try 29” wheels, you should demo a Ripmo.
    Yep, I'd agree with this after riding an HD3 for the past few years but wanting to move to 29'er wheels. With one point though... If you "size down" in the Ripmo (aka Large HD3 to Medium Ripmo), they feel almost exactly the same, but if you stay in the same size (aka Large to Large) the Ripmo feels much more capable, mainly down to the extra room in the cockpit and longer wheelbase.

I've done exactly that, demo'd both Ripmo sizes pretty extensively and definitely am going the Large for the type or riding I do and the feel I want in my new bike

mtbr member
    Pike Boost set at 150mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a steel hardtail that I've been messing with. It's a RSD Triumph originally designed for 27.5" wheels and a 140mm fork. Current fork is a 29er Pike (46mm offset). I've run the bike in a number of configurations (ironically, I've never run it as designed):

160mm fork, 29er wheels
    140mm fork, 29er wheels
    160mm fork, 27.5+
    160mm 27.5
    140mm 29er front, 27.5+ rear

So far my favorite configuration is 160mm 27.5+ but I think I'll like 140mm 27.5+ better once I get there. All configurations were fine and mentally I adjusted to them pretty quickly. I think the rolling advantage of 29er wheels is way overblown... as is the accelerating ability of 27.5 wheels. On this particular bike the 29er wheels made the bike feel too tall (logical given the frame's BB drop).