mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good job! HD and Wrench Science

Just wanted to let others know that I had a great experience buying my Mojo HD through them. I had searched all over the country and they were the ones that had the frame in stock. I had the bike less than a week later. Shipped from CA to upstate NY. Perfect condition and set up the way I requested. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    +1 on WS. I've purchased my Tranny and Mojo SL from them.

ohhman

Boo.

The downfall of the Bike shop. Might as well have bought it from Walmart.

mtbr member
    I have to agree with the OP. I placed my order for a SL with Avi at Wrench Science over the phone. What a cool and helpful dude. My credit card got hit exactly like he said it would and I got a tracking number in 5 days. Bike showed up well-packed and well-built 3 days later. 8 days from order to riding 4 states away from WS.

Last year I waited 3 months for a Nomad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp
    It's getting tough to buy a bike these days. It's gotta be made in the US. It's gotta be carried by a LBS. I've gotta be able to find one to test-drive. It's gotta be in-stock at the dealer or available from the distributor. It's gotta have a DW link. It's gotta have the right build kit. It's gotta be the right color.

According to the Ibis web site, there appear to be 2 Ibis dealers in upstate NY. I got lucky in that one is near me. What's everyone else supposed to do?

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    LOL. When I bought a bike from WS, I got on my bike, rode over to the shop, talked to the guys, etc. I've stopped by with my bike for repairs at WS, they lead rides from the shop, etc. In other words, WS is a bike shop. They've had some skilled wrenches too.

So, no. WS is not the downfall of the bike shop. For me it's not even the downfall of the local bike shop. YMMV.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got my Mojo SL from Avi as well. Top notch service and great experience!

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Actually most LBS are only just above the Walmart segment in comparison and have limited experience plus little to no stock on mid to high-end products - especially mountain bikes. The average bike sold at an average LBS is about $300-500 and they make most of their money off simple repairs. WS is a high-end shop. An high-end customer doesn't fit the typical LBS mold and its ridiculous to hear someone say they should support the LBS when they cannot serve the customer's needs.

An LBS offers little to no value to this segment - why should a customer pay an LBS to mail-order something for them - that service doesn't add any value and its not serving the customer. Businesses exist to serve customer needs, not the other way around. Never forget that. Get basic business concepts right or leave the segment - its simple.

mtbr member
    +1 for Avi as well, great to work with.

As for the LBS talk, there is no Ibis dealer in my state (Minnesota). I do all of my own maintenence as well, I have zero need for a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Another for Avi & WS. Just purchased my nude XL HD which was ordered, built & ready for pick up in one week...

Members who have read this thread: 0