mtbr member
    Feb 2004

HD vs Intense 6.6

Anybody make the switch coming off a 6.6? Looking for comparative review. I bounced around on an HD in the parking lot and the suspension felt much more limited in travel than I would have guessed from .4" difference but could well be the rp23 vs dhx air or just setup/pressure. Everybody raves about the HD prowess but how's it DH?

Well Biked
    The HD suspension is more firm in the initial stroke for better pedaling, but responds to hits pretty well. I'm not sure how you would compare the DH ability of the HD to the 6.6 since set up will play a huge factor. I personally find the HD to be average on the DH. Closer to trail bike then freeride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's minimal for Northstar but jumps well.For all the normal trail riding DH it rips.Especially if there is some pedaling out of saddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had a 6.6 for a number of years and rode an HD. HD corners better (lower than 6.6), feels stiffer, has better mid-stroke support and doesn't have nearly the same pedal feedback.

That said, depending on how you have the 6.6 setup, the 6.6 might be a slight bit more stable in the rocks and straights on the way down.

6.6 is an old platform and the HD just feels like a next generation bike in comparision. 6.6 was good in its day but its dated.

mtbr member
    I had a 6.6, just picked up an HD for my wife. I think the limiting factor on the 6.6 was the high BB/steep headangle especially if you run a 160mm fork. I know my Tracer feels stiffer than the 6.6 and I have no doubt from handling the HD that it is stiffer than the tracer. So lower BB, slacker HA with 160 fork and stiffer should all mean that the HD will feel better going down.

Can't comment on the suspension feel yet but from riding an original mojo I thought it felt similar to VPP.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ScottW. Not sure about slacker - at least based on my measurements. My 6.6 with a Lyrik and standard (non-flush) headset was about 66.5 degrees in a static state with the same size tires on both ends. The 68.5 qoted on the website for it was with a flush headset and 140mm fork. It rode even slacker than that because it rode low in its 6.75 of travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    ScottW. Not sure about slacker - at least based on my measurements. My 6.6 with a Lyrik and standard (non-flush) headset was about 66.5 degrees in a static state with the same size tires on both ends. The 68.5 qoted on the website for it was with a flush headset and 140mm fork. It rode even slacker than that because it rode low in its 6.75 of travel.

Ya know I think you're right. Haven't had my 6.6 for a couple years so I guess my memories fading.

Members who have read this thread: 0