aka dan51

HD coil shock thread

Post up your reviews and opinions.

I'd like to get a coil on my HD, but having not run a coil in 4 years I'm hesitant to just jump in and get one.

I'm leaning towards the PUSH vivid kit
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...0435/sspomer,2

Or the Cane Creek Double Barrel. Does the CCDB need special mounting hardware or does the existing RP23 stuff transfer over fine?

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The CCDB will be over-damped for the HD. The factory valving for the CCDB, while stellar, is really meant for bikes with a higher initial leverage ratio.

A good bet would be the RC4 that is now being spec'ed with the HD.
    A better bet would be a custom-valved (to your weight/riding style) DHX5/Vivid.

aka dan51
    Thanks Rb.
    The CCDB is so intriguing. I found a place that for $50 will get you a 2 weekend demo with one. Seems like money well spent to rule out the shock for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks like a coil is in my future.The Rp23 at north star was not working.From the reviews I thought the bike would be a step up from my 2005 giant reign. It's a step up but not enough.I'm liking the bike a lot for all the trail riding i do though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb
    The CCDB will be over-damped for the HD. The factory valving for the CCDB, while stellar, is really meant for bikes with a higher initial leverage ratio.

A good bet would be the RC4 that is now being spec'ed with the HD.
    A better bet would be a custom-valved (to your weight/riding style) DHX5/Vivid.
    The CCDB broadened its compression and rebound range for 2010 for lower leveraged bikes. Shouldn't be a problem with the HD leverage ratio. I cannot comment on if it is a good fit for the leverage curve.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Not exactly the coil one but I have ordered a mid tune Vivid air RC2. Mid tune for leverage ratios 2.4 - 2.8. HDs should be 2.52 (wheel travel / shock travel = 6.3 / 2.5). I will wait and see what happens..
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

Members who have read this thread: 0