mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Which handlebar for a Mojo???

Hi,

I realize that there are loads of discussion about the merits of a straight bar vs. riser handlebar but I interested on your opinions regarding the right handlebar for a Mojo? Yes, I also did do a search but you can expect how many hits one gets with those search words! I'm hoping a post here is more efficient as I need to make a decision in the next couple of days.

I'm currently using a Syntace Duraflight carbon and it's been suggested that a riser bar would be much better for 'all around riding'. The Syntace has a slight back sweep so it's not quite a straight bar and I do find it comfortable, however I do notice some twitchy handling on the decents.

If I do change to riser, what are your recommendations? How much of a rise should I go for? Keep in mind that I use a Syntace F99 stem (25.4). The obvious choice would be the Easton Monkey Lite SL as that's what on the WTF build. I'm a bit of a weight weenie so I want the lightest bar possible (but still strong enough for my 90+Kg weight). The other obvious option would be the Syntace Vector (matches my Syntace stem). Just curious... what do people think about the Syntace VRO system??? Seems to make sense for a Mojo, especially if you use one bike to ride various types of terrain (like I do). One day your doing XC trails, the next your riding DH in the Alps.

Also, I use Cane Creek Ergo bar ends and I really love them -will I be commiting sacralige if I use them on a riser? Are bar ends universally hated on riser bars because of performance issues or purely because of asthetics??

Thanks again for your help!! This forum is great!

Church of the Wheel
    The Ergo's are great bar ends. Loved them on two of my other bikes. I don't think you can go wrong with the Easton Monkeylite bars. The SL is the clear weight weenie choice, but I chose the XC specifically because it's rated for bar ends by Easton, while the SL is not. Not much of a weight penalty. Been very happy with the XC - a great bar. Easton's done their homework. Like Thompson posts and stems, they seem to be one component that is universally well-respected.

mtbr member

Race Face

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig1
    ...what do people think about the Syntace VRO system???
    I've used Syntace VRO stem on my bikes for a couple of years now and I like it a lot. The VRO stem/Syntace Vector Lowrider Carbon handlebar is a very stiff combination.

Also the possibility to adjust your riding position is a big plus in my opinion. I've done some fine tuning to my riding position by adjusting the stem. Here in Finland the altitude differences are not that big so I have not adjusted the stem for uphill/downhill position during my rides in here. However when I was riding in the Alps I sometimes adjusted the stem for uphill/downhill during the rides.

Only downside of the VRO-system is the weight so if you are a real weight weenie then VRO is probably not for you.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

Slovakia (Europe)
    I was using Syntace VRO stem and carbon bar (12 deg. back sweep) on my previous bike and they were fantastic (especially ergonomic 12 deg. back sweep). The only down side was the weight, so I swapped for New Ultimate 31.8/90mm stem and USE Atom riser bars (these are not the lightest, but safety is first). I would get Syntace Vector lowrider bars definitely, it they exist in 31.8mm, but they don't. I can suggest also Ergon GX1 grips, that are excellent to handle, so you can ride long rides w/o uncomfortable pressure feeling in the palms.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good bar not a weight weenie bar NO restriction on bar ends. Above a certain weight saftey is the biggest factor.
    http://www.lpcomposites.com/thread.c...handlebars.htm
    The grips anatomic below not the others - with a bit of gel wrap to get the orthotic effect right for hand size.
    http://www.lpcomposites.com/thread.c...be_barends.htm
    50 year warranty.
    Ergon grips with weight weenie mods or the $ carbons.
    Setup a good ergo positioning to help with:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_Tunnel_syndrome
    (Another name for HVS Hand Vibration Syndrome)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig1
    I'm currently using a Syntace Duraflight carbon and it's been suggested that a riser bar would be much better for 'all around riding'. The Syntace has a slight back sweep so it's not quite a straight bar and I do find it comfortable, however I do notice some twitchy handling on the decents.
    When searched for suitable riser bars for my Mojo I have found out, that the only USE makes bars with 10 deg. back sweep, that is the closest to the Syntace's 12deg. comfort sweep.
    http://www.use1.com/products/handleb...iser/index.php
    The bars are made either in 25.4 or 31.8 mm size/ 660mm width and ca. 175g weight is still acceptable (my friend's 25.4mm dia. model 2007 is 165g, my new designed 31.8mm model 2008 is 177g (cut down to 640mm)). No problem to use bar ends, there are alu inserts, see the picture of cut end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

flow where ever you go
    My favorite is Salsa Pro Moto. I use the Riser. Beautiful, very light, very comfortable, very strong, wide (680mm) and you can cut it, and allows bar ends. I doubt bar ends are needed though, the Mojo is so well balanced with a low center of gravity.

Pro Moto Carbon Riser
    * 6 degree upsweep and 10 degree backsweep,,,,, 170 grams
    Salsa ProMoto Carbon Flat Mountain Handlebars.
    * 11 degree bend,,,,, 156 grams
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 06-17-2008 at 08:01 AM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Love the Syntace lowrise carbon bar:

680mm
    190 grams
    12 degree backsweep; no upsweep
    Maybe 10mm rise (fewer bends; stronger bar)
    Great construction- looks nicer than my Easton Monkeylite

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1529#

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    my Monkeylite SL bar is cracked after 6 months use. I'm awaiting a response from Easton customer services Europe. Not sure whether to go for the Easton MonkeyLite DH bar.

This seems an unusual place for it to crack, i've never used bar ends, and using ODI lockon grips, but doubt this could be the cause.

flow where ever you go
    Here's a couple of articles that might help pick your next bar... if you even want another carbon bar...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...81391#poststop
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...04147#poststop

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGR1913
    This seems an unusual place for it to crack, i've never used bar ends, and using ODI lockon grips, but doubt this could be the cause.
    I'm quite sure this is caused by lock-on.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    I'm quite sure this is caused by lock-on.
    I agree. Looks like overtightened lock-on
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    An over tightened grip seems the most plausible cause. I genuinely believe i have never tightened them too hard, and still feel there must have been a fault in the bars. The ODI bolts are renowned for snapping so i have always been careful to avoid this.

So far no word from Easton, so i guess i need to choose and order a new bar irrespective. Do i take the risk again, isolated issue, not sure really, the DH bars are reinforced with alloy. It wasn't cheap and to get 6 months use is

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGR1913
    An over tightened grip seems the most plausible cause. I genuinely believe i have never tightened them too hard, and still feel there must have been a fault in the bars. The ODI bolts are renowned for snapping so i have always been careful to avoid this.
    I'm afraid it's not possible to tighten lock-on grips "carefully", otherwise they spin easily. All the time I needed to use recommended 5Nm torque, and that's pretty high for thin carbon ends, if they are not reinforced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So is there a carbon bar that is reinforced for lock on grips? I haven't seen one.

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBiker7624
    So is there a carbon bar that is reinforced for lock on grips? I haven't seen one.
    Easton Monkeylite XC is one of many rated for lock on grips as well as bar ends.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb143
    Easton Monkeylite XC is one of many rated for lock on grips as well as bar ends.
    The Salsa ProMoto as well....is reinforced for bar ends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've decided to go with the Syntace Vector Carbon low rise without my cane creek bar ends. I already have a Syntace F99 stem. I should have the first ride on the weekend and I will post my impressions.

Slovakia (Europe)
    All bars suitable for bar ends , see the picture somewhere in the post above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    The Salsa ProMoto as well....is reinforced for bar ends.
    One crash on my Salsa ProMoto Carbon Flatbar broke the end of the bar due to the leverage of the bar end. It is a little thicker near the end of the bar, but no metal insert.

flow where ever you go
    One crash on my Salsa ProMoto Carbon Flatbar broke the end of the bar due to the leverage of the bar end. It is a little thicker near the end of the bar, but no metal insert.
    I checked the Salsa site and they now state "not for use with bar ends" on all their carbon bars. I guess Salsa either changed how they construct the carbon bars or they reconsidered how they can be used (due to breaks like yours I imagine). I have a pair on my Mojo and my rigid SS with no problems for 2 years but it still gives me pause even though I don't use bar ends.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 06-26-2008 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why do people hate bar ends on riser bars? Is it only style? My cane creek ergo bar ends are incredibly comfortable and I'm very reluctant not to install them on my new riser bar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Easton sent me a remplacement MonkeyLite SL bar after i emailed the European customer services the photo. They have the service to backup the reputation of their products which isn't always the case.

Members who have read this thread: 0