Thread: Halogen Or Led

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Halogen Or Led

im in the market for a lighting system for my new mojo carbon.... whats the forums opinion on halogen vs led.... any thoughts on what i should by

boba
    Dec 2007

Depends on what you are using them for.

Halogen, LED or HID....We ride all winter ...every Thursday night on Vancouver Island and have for ten years. At least as of last year, LED lights were not powerful enough for really good vision in the wet and very dark woods. Halogen is fine and we have used them exclusively until recently, but now, we mostly us HID..High Intensity Dischage. If the new generation of LEDs were powerful enough, I would use LED...longer bulb and battery life, not to mention they are lighter. Until they are HID is great

bob...Comox Valley.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have all 3 types. HID has the best throw of the lot, but LED (assuming you get the good ones, eg Niterider TriNewt) are much easier to take care of and are really simple to use.
    HIDs can be a little finicky. eg can't turn them off and on without a small break in between, need to handle with care, especilly when hot and the bulbs are darn expensive..

LEDs are also much lighter, more efficient therefore longer burn times..

Halogens are for those on a budget... but work well nonetheless... relatively shor burn times for the same amount of lumens..

mtbr member
    You can get a lot of info on the lights forum. I use a LED system from New Zealand, the company is Night Lightning, yes Lightning. The system has great run times, multiple light outputs, very light batteries and a claimed 1000 lumen's. I can say it is a lot brighter then my friends HID systems. We use lights all summer and winter. I would go LED if money is not a problem. Enjoy your new MOJO.
    milesW

Has a cycling disorder
    I have a HID and a LED lights.
    I think both are brilliant, but the LED is the better/brighter one.

Photon Max LED
    The Photon Max is brighter and has a longer throw than my HID! It's an impressive system and has 4 modes. Charge time is about 4 hours and run of 2.4hr at high power and 10 hours at low power (which I use quite a bit on my nightrides).
    Not sure of the price in US$ but here's their website.
    http://www.niteflux.com/default.aspx

Vicious HID
    The head unit is really light and small (about the size of a golf ball) with carbon housing. The batteries are also in a carbon housing and run 2.5 hours at full power, and recharge in 2 hours. Has a step-down mode for longer burn times, that is still great for riding. not in production anymore though....
    http://www.viciouspower.com/

Ay-Ups
    A lot of people down here love these lights, the kit price is very good and they look pretty cool with the whole twin light arrangement. Also worth a look. http://www.ayup.com.au/
    Last edited by fishboy2807; 08-18-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by t1deep
    im in the market for a lighting system for my new mojo carbon.... whats the forums opinion on halogen vs led.... any thoughts on what i should by
    i like my leds. i have the dinotte 200 lights. one on helmet and two on bars. not the greatest....but pretty good.

good for my road bike at night too.

how much do you want to spend? you can get the lupine betty

mx

Has a cycling disorder
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    you can get the lupine betty
    Bright! Signal the mothership.
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Church of the Wheel
    I've been very happy with my Light and Motion HID, but they're in the process of moving to LED's, and have just released a new light - the Seca - that should be competitive with Lupine's offerings. I love Light and Motion. Their engineering and quality is superb, particularly noticeable with the highly refined beam patterns from their custom-designed, cycling-specific reflectors.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    definitely LED, in my opinion. I have an LED from a year or so ago, and Dad has an HID, and the LED is not only brighter (well, it's very close, but the LED has a better colour and spread), but much better in every other way as well (tougher, more practical, lighter, longer burn...)

What's more, there are better LED's available today.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I think LEDs are a way to go now...

I have and ARC HID and a Trinewt....while the HID is sti a bit more powerful....the current LEDs are pretty close and the run times are much better...

I just run the ARC on the helmet and the trinewt in the bars and am happy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Led

I've had Halogen in the past, then HID and now LED. I would most definately go with LED now, and the newer models are more powerful than HIDs anyway.

Checkout the following:
    - http://www.hidtechnologies.com.au - they have a triple (I have this one) & a Quad LED
    This company's lights are significantly brighter than anything else out there, except maybe Lupine (which are at least twice as expensive)
    - AYUP also make really nice little lights.

Has a cycling disorder
    I forgot those guys Jacko. The hidtechnologies quad LED got a very high rating at the last Australian Mountain Bike mag lighting tests (only second to Lupine). Haven't used them, but the rating speaks for itself.
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    I do a lot of night riding, and I am in the LED camp myself. I run a good 12 watt HID on my helmet with a NiteRider Trinewt LED on my bars, and this combo works great. But the LED is just as bright in a side-by-side shootout, has longer burn time, more durable, less finicky and cost same/slightly less $ than a good HID. The other guys I ride with are all moving away from HID to LED as well. IMO, don't go halogen...old technology.

The only downside to the TriNewt is that it is pretty heavy to wear on your helmet. I spoke with NiteRider at the Sea Otter race/expo about the weight (since theoretically LED should be light) and they said they had to make the ballast heavy for cooling purposes. But they guarantee it will only get better and lighter in the future.

This topic is also discussed ad nauseum in the lighting forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124 (check out the light shootout feature at top), but to summarize I'd say that most people who have tried it are sold on LED and agree that it is the lighting technology of the future.

mtbr member
    LEDs are the way to go if you have the cash....lighter, brighter, more durable, and long-lasting. IMO, Lupine and HID Tech are the best overall for lights. HID Tech makes brilliant HIDs so their LEDs will probably be as good. Cheaper LEDs do exist and are good but if you have the cash, spring for the best.

L&M is also good so I'll throw their name in. I don't know what their new LED looks like but they make excellent reflectors and it is a solid company. They made a mistake waiting a year but it is never too late for the consumer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For mountain biking, I would get the brightest light possible.
    I've had really good luck, and plenty bright without a helmet mount on tech trails for many years with Light and Motions Hid Arc.
    http://www.bikelights.com/webcam/WebCam.htm
    Nice kids down in Monterey, great cs. Any bright light, just be sure to cover a bit when approaching other trail users as they will blind for a moment.
    The new LEDs are supposed to be as bright as HID. Don't know about that, look at the beam pattern pics and compare to past Hid shootouts to make an informed choice as opposed to doing it here.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124
    Last edited by ghawk; 08-24-2008 at 04:17 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0