The Hakka Wheel & Tire Thread (and Fenders too)- Mtbr.com
    Too Much Fun

The Hakka Wheel & Tire Thread (and Fenders too)

Time to talk Hakka Wheels & Tires!

Whilst chatting with Budgie a while back, we thought it might be useful to have a thread focused on the various wheel/tire combos folks are running with the Hakka. Figure it'll mostly be MX riders as that thing will take a wide range of combos relative to the OG Hakka.

I bought and am currently running the Ibis D30 carbon wheels with the Schwalbe G-One 700c x 40mm and haven't changed anything yet.

Having an extra set of 27.5 wheels around, I decided to pick up some of the Schwalbe Thunder Burt 27.5Ē x 2.1Ē tires and eventually I'll swap things out for a more dirt focused bikepacking trip soon.

Here are some pics for visual comparison. The Burts are definitely bigger, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. These pics don't do an entirely good job showing things, in particular it's hard to get a sense of volume. The Burts are on much wider rims and I expect to run much lower pressures on them.

Please post and share what tires you're running as I'm a tire geek and would love to learn what people are trying out. There are so many awesome and weird tire options these days, it's kind of nuts.

RE: Fenders. Anyone have any favorites they're running?

The Hakka Wheel & Tire Thread (and Fenders too)-hakka_tires1.jpg
    The Hakka Wheel & Tire Thread (and Fenders too)-hakka_tires2.jpg
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great idea for a thread...
    What rim size is the 27.5? Iím thinking of trying some Ibis 741ís on a future build

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    What rim size is the 27.5? Iím thinking of trying some Ibis 741ís on a future build
    Those are older Light Bicycle AM 35's IIRC. Pretty wide, but not quite as wide (or tall,) as the 741s, but I suspect the 741s will work well.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sub'd. Got a big (for me) gravel ride at the beginning of June. Love the g-one's for pavement and the mild singletrack I've taken it on, but think something more sure footed would probably be safer when I'm exhausted.

Questions:
    -Anyone try the riddler 45s? How do they size up against the G-One's?
    -How big has anyone gone for 700cs that still squeeze in?
    -Are there hubs that are interchangeable with the ibis ones so I could swap the wheels without realigning calipers/derailleur?

Too Much Fun

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by gondezee View Post
    Questions:
    -Anyone try the riddler 45s? How do they size up against the G-One's?
    I'm Riddler-curious too. Would love to hear some comparisons as well. Might go digging for Riddler reviews.

-Are there hubs that are interchangeable with the ibis ones so I could swap the wheels without realigning calipers/derailleur?
    Good question. I've got Kings on my 27.5 wheels and I'll share info on how painful it is to swap out. I'll know how far off the discs are soon enough.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Everything below is 700c:

My riddler 37's are on point at 40mm on a semi wide rim (23 internal)

The riddler 45 fits F/R from all reports, but I don't know what rims they're using. If the 37 balloons 3mm, is the riddler 45...a 48?

I've got some 47mm tires I need to try, just haven't had the time.

700x47-48mm is friggin huge. That's almost a 1.9" 29er tire. Gnarly!

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    The riddler 45 fits F/R from all reports, but I don't know what rims they're using. If the 37 balloons 3mm, is the riddler 45...a 48?

700x47-48mm is friggin huge. That's almost a 1.9" 29er tire. Gnarly.
    No doubt, that's getting big. It has to be a tight fit.

This review of the Riddler 700 x 45 shows just how big those things are. Not sure I'll need anything that beefy given I've got the 27.5 setup, but it's fun to wonder...
    - -benja- -

screamer
    I have a set of Panaracer Gravelking SK's in 43mm on the way. Will report back once I've had a bit of time on them. Right now I'm loving the 27.5x2.1 Thunder Burts, but those are for dirt primarily (80% dirt/20% pavement). I'm looking for a good 60% dirt / 40% pavement option for my 700c set of wheels.

screamer
    As a side note, I'm into the idea of thinking through tire/wheel choice based on dirt-pavement ratios. It seems like a lot of reviewers are adopting this convention, and it seems really useful for this whole gravel thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Running the 45 Riddler's on Ibis D30 rims, fits with allot of room to spare. I personally really dislike the Schwalbe G-one's as they corner like ass in the dirt and are really not durable.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by batizywells View Post
    Running the 45 Riddler's on Ibis D30 rims, fits with allot of room to spare. I personally really dislike the Schwalbe G-one's as they corner like ass in the dirt and are really not durable.
    Yeah, the G-One's have a distinctive lack of side knobs. I've been pretty conservative when cornering on dirt because of it.

Did you have to remove the Handjob for the Riddler 45's? Decent amount of room there?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well I took that off when I first built the bike, I could check and see what the clearance is like with it on as well if you guys like?

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by batizywells View Post
    Well I took that off when I first built the bike, I could check and see what the clearance is like with it on as well if you guys like?
    Yeah, that would be great if you could snap a pic with it on and one off for comparison.

Thx!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Riddler 45's fit with the HJ still in. I think there's room for 50's...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Benja55 curious as to the frame size of your Hakka. The dropped seat stays are different than all the promotional pictures and what is shown on the Ibis website. Also when did you take delivery.

For interest of the thread I will have 650b wheels only to start but will have Thunder Burt 2.1 for heavy off road, used these on my hard tail mountain bike and liked them. For more road and tame gravel I have a set of Donnelly Strada 650b x 50. Looking forward to getting my bike, hopefully in June and contributing to the tread. Thanks for starting.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by tcfish19 View Post
    Benja55 curious as to the frame size of your Hakka. The dropped seat stays are different than all the promotional pictures and what is shown on the Ibis website. Also when did you take delivery.
    Good eye! Mine is a 53, and I took delivery in late Jan/early Feb IIRC. It seems like sizes alternate with the lowered stays. See these on the main Hakka MX thread:

Quote Originally Posted by will2007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit View Post
    - -benja- -

AKD
    Getting hillier every day
    I've got a 53 cm MX, originally had my old Kenda Happy Mediums on Grails in a 35c. I just swapped to the Riddler in 700x45. Holy wide tire, batman. There's a lot of clearance (not enough for a fender though), but I'd hesitate to run it in the muck.

One thing I did notice is that the Riddler is quite heavy. It's slower to get up to speed and it makes the bike noticeably heavier. I'm going to try it out on a long ride this weekend and see if the added girth (it's really a lot) is worth it.

Edit to add: I have G-Ones (700x35) on my commuter bike (which does light duty as a gravel bike from time to time). They are great on the road, and really good when the pavement is wet. They are not at all grippy on any sort of gravel. I kind of hate that Ibis used these as stock tires on the 700 wheels. Gravel Kings would have been a huge upgrade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The G-ones are stupid fast compared to the Riddler 45c's. I did have to flip the HJ 180 degrees as the Riddlers expanded after I put them in. I have much more confidence in cornering now over the G-ones, though I'd like an in-between tire for the rear to help speed things up while maintaining cornering grip.

mtbr member
    Can you guys measure actual tire width on the riddler 45, and describe what internal rim width you're on?

Thx!

AKD
    Getting hillier every day
    Want to send me a caliper? The clearance is ample - a pinky finger's width laterally to the chainstay, and maybe half that between the top of the tire and the chainstay yoke. Seatstay clearance is greater. You could run 50 tires, no problem.

My rims are the Stans Grail.

mtbr member
    Every tire geek needs a set of calipers on hand. Digital, if possible

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Whatís the largest 650 tyre people have squeezed in the Hakka? Iím also running a hd3 with 741ís and wanna be able to swap the wheels in for the occasional use...any 2.25ís?

Natural body armor
    So Tunder Burts, Riddlers, what else. Thought there should me many more options.
    Looking for larger volume tires to float on sandy gravely stuff, fast center, some side knobs and of course tubeless ready
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Any rec's for a reasonable 650b wheelset? Ibis still isn't selling the 733's separately.
    Looking for 10* min engagement and ~i30 width.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Any rec's for a reasonable 650b wheelset? Ibis still isn't selling the 733's separately.
    Looking for 10* min engagement and ~i30 width.
    Ibis will sell you the 733's. Send them an email and they'll respond with a link to their store giving you a "special order" for the 733's. $499 shipped I believe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    I have a set of Panaracer Gravelking SK's in 43mm on the way. Will report back once I've had a bit of time on them. Right now I'm loving the 27.5x2.1 Thunder Burts, but those are for dirt primarily (80% dirt/20% pavement). I'm looking for a good 60% dirt / 40% pavement option for my 700c set of wheels.
    I too have the 27.5 x 2.1 Thunder Burts which I like alot but just placed an order for the I-9 A25 TRA and had planned to use the Panaracer Gravel King SK in 43...can you share your experience?

screamer
    I actually ended up with the GK SK 38s for a little more separation from the Thunder Burts. Overall I've been really pleased with them for mixed terrain. They roll really well for on pavement of all sorts, and do just fine for fire road traction (about 35 psi). For looser Jeep roads and kitty litter there's no substitute for the higher volume of a 2.1" mtbr tire. So if the rides include this rougher terrain I'd rather compromise on road speed.

The Panaracers set up great tubeless (on 25mm ID hookless mtb rims), and can't beat the price.

Incidentally I also picked up some of the standard Gravel King 38s (non SK, in the file thread) for some long rides with roadie friends that included some hard pack dirt roads. Apparently Panaracer is making the Compass tires (which are a close match), and it seems they've learned a thing or two in the process: these things are FAST! Definitely a good option for a wide, tubeless 80% pavement tire.

Edit: corrected rim.info

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I actually ended up with the GK SK 38s for a little more separation from the Thunder Burts. Overall I've been really pleased with them for mixed terrain. They roll really well for on pavement of all sorts, and do just fine for fire road traction (about 35 psi). For looser Jeep roads and kitty litter there's no substitute for the higher volume of a 2.1" mtbr tire. So if the rides include this rougher terrain I'd rather compromise on road speed.

The Panaracers set up great tubeless (on 25mm ID hookless mtb rims), and can't beat the price.

Incidentally I also picked up some of the standard Gravel King 38s (non SK, in the file thread) for some long rides with roadie friends that included some hard pack dirt roads. Apparently Panaracer is making the Compass tires (which are a close match), and it seems they've learned a thing or two in the process: these things are FAST! Definitely a good option for a wide, tubeless 80% pavement tire.

Edit: corrected rim.info
    Thanks Bugie.

I am curious if you think the 43's will fit?

I am a big guy and figured to start big and move smaller with time...appreciate the tip on the standard tire as well...been thinking about a few of the local big road rides once I get some fittness back.

screamer
    I'd say the 43s are a likely fit -- since the Panaracers measure pretty true to size and sounds as if people are fitting Riddler 45s okay -- but unfortunately I don't have any direct experience. But just to clarify: I'm not a Hakka MX owner (yet!). Just an Ibis fanboi & have a similar bike so I'm here to swap tire intel.

My Thunder Burts are just about done for, so next experiment is GravelKing SK 650x48 for a comparo...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd say the 43s are a likely fit -- since the Panaracers measure pretty true to size and sounds as if people are fitting Riddler 45s okay -- but unfortunately I don't have any direct experience. But just to clarify: I'm not a Hakka MX owner (yet!). Just an Ibis fanboi & have a similar bike so I'm here to swap tire intel.

My Thunder Burts are just about done for, so next experiment is GravelKing SK 650x48 for a comparo...
    Thanks Budgie,

I am pretty happy with the Thunder Burts...gonna go big to start on the 700c but will likely downsize moving forward...I am coming off 29+ so they all feel small in comparison.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Second Wheelset

I've been looking for a second wheelset for more smooth road oriented pursuits. I'll likely run 28-30mm tires with the occasional switch out to something in the 40mm range (I've got Stan's Grails with WTB Nanos currently)

Anyone have thoughts on:
    Reynolds Assault
    Thesis
    Light Bicycle

More affordable:

Hunt Aero
    DT Swiss p1800 Spline 32mm

Any other ideas?

The Hakka Wheel & Tire Thread (and Fenders too)-img_6171.jpg

mtbr member
    Riddler 700x45's fit front and rear on a wide rim with plenty of room to spare. The handjob was too close for comfort, so I removed it. Given time to stretch, I'd think this tire fills to a 1.9, or damn close!

At 28psi, it's "29er-light" and I was able to ride some pretty ridiculous lines.. at a decent clip! If I lived in an area with rockier trails, or I planned on riding MTB trails 24/7 on this, I'd keep em. The singletrack trails out my door are linked by either road or buff fireroad, so these were overkill.

It's a big ass tire. And toe overlap on the 55cm is pretty real. And on a timed 12mi dirt lap, the hakka is faster on Riddler 37's. My hardtail is actually faster than the Riddler 45's, for what that's worth. So bike overlap also came into play here.

I can see the allure to the monster truck tires though. With that much tire under me, skills weren't really needed anymore. You could stay seated and plow through some pretty crazy lines at speed, all while pedaling!

Hope this all helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iím running G-oneís.....grip front and the all around on the back. Running them tubeless in HED Belgiums. My usual route is a good mix of pavement, gravel, and dirt and these suckers are awesome. Drop the pressure and itís surprising how well the G1 Bite hooks up and itís a nice shape on the HEDís. But then again, I am/was a big fan of the original super Motos and the first g-oneís. Ran the 29er 2.3 tubeless on a rigid and pushed those way above their limit and they held up admirably

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Im trying to decide between the black or the red frame build, but some photos I see of the red look more orange than red (which I would prefer). Who has a red with some true color photos?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Just got my Hakka. Paid $800 extra for the Ibis 735 wheels... I figured it was worth it to move up to carbon wheels. They came with the stock Thunder Burts. Haven't even taken it on dirt yet, but the good news is that the wheels look very well built and I have no toe overlap on a 55 frame with 170 cranks...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I don't have a photo but I saw the red/orange in person and it definitely looks more orange. Sort of like a flame orange color... hope that helps. I got the matte black one and it looks very "murdered out."

Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    Im trying to decide between the black or the red frame build, but some photos I see of the red look more orange than red (which I would prefer). Who has a red with some true color photos?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
    I don't have a photo but I saw the red/orange in person and it definitely looks more orange. Sort of like a flame orange color... hope that helps. I got the matte black one and it looks very "murdered out."
    Well I recieved my frame today and it is more orange like you said

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Let's see a photo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bringing this back ó Iím about to order a Hakka and am having wheel indecision. Did most of you order 27.5, and is there any real difference in climbing speed between those and 700c?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23 View Post
    Bringing this back ó Iím about to order a Hakka and am having wheel indecision. Did most of you order 27.5, and is there any real difference in climbing speed between those and 700c??
    I bought mine with the Ibis carbon 700c wheels, then took an older set of 27.5 MTB wheels and put them in use as a burlier wheelset for the Hakka.

I rode with the 27.5 wheels a bit (no major trips, just some mixed gravel, singletrack and road rides) and I'm now back on the 700c wheels but with the WTB Riddler 45's... And I think I love this setup. The Riddlers are big enough to handle a lot of terrain, but still roll really well. I think the 700c wheels roll better, but the reality is that I'm keeping more pressure in those tires.

For me personally, I probably won't put the 27.5 wheels back on until I'm ready for proper singletrack bikepacking trips this Spring/Summer. If it were me, I'd probably do the same thing over again, but keep in mind, I had extra wheelsets lying around...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I went with the 27.5 wheelset and paid an extra $800 for the Ibis carbon hoop upgrade (Ibis 735 wheels). I'm very happy and don't notice a big difference in climbing speed when compared to my bikes with 700c wheels. I think the lightweight carbon rims make a difference when climbing and are likely what are giving the bike the lively feel. If you can afford it, I'd upgrade... Just my humble opinion of course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks, I think I'll go this route. I have a pair of I9 235CX that I'll use if I miss 700c that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
    I went with the 27.5 wheelset and paid an extra $800 for the Ibis carbon hoop upgrade (Ibis 735 wheels). I'm very happy and don't notice a big difference in climbing speed when compared to my bikes with 700c wheels. I think the lightweight carbon rims make a difference when climbing and are likely what are giving the bike the lively feel. If you can afford it, I'd upgrade... Just my humble opinion of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    What fenders are folks running on their 650b rigs?

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalNathan View Post
    What fenders are folks running on their 650b rigs?
    Subscribed.

I have the plastic SKS seatpost "fender" in back, and their fork clip-on fenders in front and they work "ok" for the 700c stuff, but the front was way too tight for the 27.5 T-Burts.

I've kind of stopped looking because this solution is workable while running 700s, but I kind of hate it for the aesthetics and mediocre coverage.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm trying to talk myself into a 733 wheelset (or similar) but have been running Riddler 45's. How much plushness does the TB2.1's buy over the R45s? Rolling resistance of the TBs vs the Riddlers?

Too Much Fun

Good job! Get the extra wheels!

I'm trying to talk myself into a 733 wheelset (or similar) but have been running Riddler 45's. How much plushness does the TB2.1's buy over the R45s? Rolling resistance of the TBs vs the Riddlers?
    Lame answer: depends on where you're doing most of your riding.

If I am doing mostly gravel and some singletrack, I'd stay on the Riddlers. If you're planning on mostly singletrack with some proper rocks, roots etc in the mix, the Burts will be very comfortable, especially on wide rims and lower pressures.

IMO, if you're on gravel most of the time, pumping up the Burts to higher pressure will get them close to the feel of the Riddlers for rolling. These days you can go so high/low with pressures that comparing setups is trickier then ever.

Bottom line: Get the extra wheels; having those options really opens up the Hakka to "Do Anything".

There, problem solved!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hey guys, I just ordered an Ibis Hakka MX frameset in fireball red and wanted some suggestions for wheel sets. I haven't decided to go with either 650B or 700C. I do however feel pretty good ordering carbon Light Bicycle wheels with i9 hubs. Which 650B or 700C wheelsets from LB would you choose from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anybody measure the real-world width of Thunder Burts on stock Ibis rims?

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Anybody measure the real-world width of Thunder Burts on stock Ibis rims?
    I measured 54.4mm on 733's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Hey guys, I just ordered an Ibis Hakka MX frameset in fireball red and wanted some suggestions for wheel sets. I haven't decided to go with either 650B or 700C. I do however feel pretty good ordering carbon Light Bicycle wheels with i9 hubs. Which 650B or 700C wheelsets from LB would you choose from?
    I'm on an RM29C19 set that's laced to 350's. Been really happy with i24 and 37-45c tires.

link: https://www.lightbicycle.com/U-shape...ompatible.html

The asym XC925 looks good as well (i25 and lighter):

https://www.lightbicycle.com/XC925-a...-rims-mtb.html

I went 32h and never looked back. I've beat on them for years with no truing needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fenders????

I'm currently running WTB 650b Byways on my Hakka MX with the flat mount ENVE G series fork. Does anyone have any fender thoughts/ideas? I realize some drilling will have to be done to mate up with the HJ and the threaded mount in the steerer tube of the fork.

It's going to be wet, wet, wet up where I live for an extended amount of time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoesurfkid View Post
    I'm currently running WTB 650b Byways on my Hakka MX with the flat mount ENVE G series fork. Does anyone have any fender thoughts/ideas? I realize some drilling will have to be done to mate up with the HJ and the threaded mount in the steerer tube of the fork.

It's going to be wet, wet, wet up where I live for an extended amount of time.
    These guys put together a good brief on fenders. It seems like these Honjo aluminum fenders may be a viable choice depending on mounting compatibility.

No actual hands on experience myself but when I was sniffing down this path earlier I figured those would be my best bet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone try tires greater than 2.1in on the CX fork model (27.5 / 733 wheels)?

Looking at more dirt focused tubless tires that are also a bit more puncture resistant than the Thunder Burts the bike came with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Talked to ENVE bros about this at an event. I think they were able to squeeze a 2.2(5?) on one of their personal rides with a CX fork, but the fit was beyond tight. There was _zero_ clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincyclist View Post
    Anyone try tires greater than 2.1in on the CX fork model (27.5 / 733 wheels)?

Looking at more dirt focused tubless tires that are also a bit more puncture resistant than the Thunder Burts the bike came with.
    I've seen a few folks running maxxis ikon 2.2's. Wouldn't run it during mud season though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does anyone have experience with proper full fenders on the Hakka?

Currently considering getting a set of semi wide Velo Orange-fenders for my 700c build, but I cannot find many examples of fenders installed on the Hakka, not on this forum, or not via Google.

Just wanted to see some experiences from other people when it came to fitting full size fenders before I buy something that might not fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just for the record ... pics of my Hakka with newly mounted WTB 45mm Riddlers on Ibis D30 wheels. There may have been clearance for the hand job, but I removed them before trying.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aePLCmdVV1Hdamzv7

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by perbl View Post
    Does anyone have experience with proper full fenders on the Hakka?

Currently considering getting a set of semi wide Velo Orange-fenders for my 700c build, but I cannot find many examples of fenders installed on the Hakka, not on this forum, or not via Google.

Just wanted to see some experiences from other people when it came to fitting full size fenders before I buy something that might not fit.
    I have the same question. I'm currently on 650b WTB Byways and now that the wet weather has settled into California fenders are the line of weather (you see what I did there) or not I get outside. Feet/legs freeze without them...

Fender thoughts anyone? Both and/or 700c or 650b.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Iíll take a recommendation for a front fender. I have the ďoldĒ fork with no eyelets so I have no idea what to do. The SKS clip-on seems to not be recommended by anyone including my LBS.

mtbr member
    I've got the SKS clip/soft mount ones and they suck.

I've been looking for fenders for a bit as well. Not much luck. The SKS longboard fenders look good, but I want something sturdier