Grip2 harsh on ripmo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Grip2 harsh on ripmo?

I'm noticing that it's near impssible to bottom my grip2 that came on my ripmo back in October 18. I'm running 15psi under recommendation, have and lsc are 4 clicks more open then rec'd, hsr and lsr are 4 clicks faster. I'm still only using about 75% travel max on steep chunky trail with step downs.

I remember reading something about grease in the air chamber affecting compression, does anyone have info on this and how to investigate?

Also, if anyone has seen a useful tuning guide that would be super helpful!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post

Or you can get a MRP ramp cartridge and tinker till you get what you want all easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by $.$. View Post
    I'm noticing that it's near impssible to bottom my grip2 that came on my ripmo back in October 18. I'm running 15psi under recommendation, have and lsc are 4 clicks more open then rec'd, hsr and lsr are 4 clicks faster. I'm still only using about 75% travel max on steep chunky trail with step downs.

I remember reading something about grease in the air chamber affecting compression, does anyone have info on this and how to investigate?

Here is a thread on this topic: https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...s-1068693.html

Basically, you need to remove the air shaft to check if this is the case.

Have you sent anything to flat properly? On a regular ride without big sends, I use around 140 of the 160 mm travel, but I do use up the full 160 when sending some bigger stuff. That said, I do run the fork in line with recommended air pressure.

Rollin 29s
    Same story with mine on a Ripmo. Itís been pulled apart 3 times and is back in the shop this morning. The thick factory grease was removed and replaced with oil 2 services ago. I swapped in a 170mm air shaft to replace the stock 160. I tuned with a ShockWiz tuning module, and it said the fork was optimized with just 44psi. At the recommended 85 or 90psi for my weight (207 lbs), Iím barely using 60% of travel on chunky step down rides.

40 to 45psi gets me to using 95% but still never bottoming out.

Iím going to try an MRP or something aftermarket soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Keep in mind the FOX36 is a big bike fork. It needs to satisfy customers who do some seriously aggressive riding. It really comes alive at high speeds. I have a RC2 and find the same. Kept thinking it was harsh, but then it would amaze me how composed it was when I was hammering it. If I dialed out the compression and lowered the spring, it would suffer when ridden aggressively.

If you're quite light; you may benefit from getting the compression tune lowered by PUSH or Vorsprung.

Dude...

Why would you use any compression damping if your fork feels harsh? I would always suggest starting with no compression damping until you feel you need it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    hes not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Have you seen Mikeís video on setting up the Grip2? It was super helpful on setting mine up

https://youtu.be/D9vsOHmmmpo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    hes not.
    I read he's using 4 less clicks than recommended. I didn't interpret that as fully open.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    ha true....

Dude...
    Make me curious what is recommended and by whom.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Or you can get a MRP ramp cartridge and tinker till you get what you want all easy.
    Or the DSD Runt.