Going to try a 1X- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Going to try a 1X

I have an HD3 that I thoroughly enjoy. The HD4 did not interest me much, but the HD5 does. I noticed that the HD5 is 1X only ( at least I have seen no indication of an FD hanger ).

Until recently, I have had no interest in 1X because I like to climb and my old tired knees want a really low gear ( folks with walkers pass me going up, but hey, I'm on the bike pedaling ).

I'm setting my HD3 up with 1X to see if it is something I can live with ( precursor to an HD5 frame purchase ). I'm going with Raceface NEXT R cranks and a 26T ring paired with Shimanos 12 speed 10-51 cassette. This will give me a lower low gear ( .51:1 vs .52:1 rear wheel:crank ) and a slightly lower high gear. On my old set up I was 34 ring, 11 cog, but I rarely rode here, much more often at 34/13, that is 2.62:1, new 1X set up will be 2.6:1. What I loose is the 3.1:1 I had with the 34/11 gear, but like I said, I was rarely there.

I also figure if I were to do a ride thats not so much climbing, I can swap the ring for a 30T or so.

Anyway, interested in trying this out. I've read about other issues with 1X, mostly wear, but I got to figure is less so than with a 2X severely crossed up. The other is fewer gears to run through, but for me, I don't think that will be much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm confident you'll love the 1x setup. I could not imagine a 51t rear and 26t chainring--especially on a 27.5" setup. I'm running a 50t rear and 28t chainring on my Ripmo it is a bit too low for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What you have is close to my current second lowest gear. I can climb OK there stamina wise ( at least mid season ), but it will kill my knees. On the longer steep ( for me, 24% grade ) trail I like to ride, dropping down into low is a nice relief. Steeper than that, I really want a low low.

I do expect I will like it just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_l View Post
    I have an HD3 that I thoroughly enjoy. The HD4 did not interest me much, but the HD5 does. I noticed that the HD5 is 1X only ( at least I have seen no indication of an FD hanger ).

Until recently, I have had no interest in 1X because I like to climb and my old tired knees want a really low gear ( folks with walkers pass me going up, but hey, I'm on the bike pedaling ).

I'm setting my HD3 up with 1X to see if it is something I can live with ( precursor to an HD5 frame purchase ). I'm going with Raceface NEXT R cranks and a 26T ring paired with Shimanos 12 speed 10-51 cassette. This will give me a lower low gear ( .51:1 vs .52:1 rear wheel:crank ) and a slightly lower high gear. On my old set up I was 34 ring, 11 cog, but I rarely rode here, much more often at 34/13, that is 2.62:1, new 1X set up will be 2.6:1. What I loose is the 3.1:1 I had with the 34/11 gear, but like I said, I was rarely there.

I also figure if I were to do a ride thats not so much climbing, I can swap the ring for a 30T or so.

Anyway, interested in trying this out. I've read about other issues with 1X, mostly wear, but I got to figure is less so than with a 2X severely crossed up. The other is fewer gears to run through, but for me, I don't think that will be much of an issue.
    Hi Joel, I am on a HD3 too and I have been on 1042 and then 1048 (Garbaruk) from the beginning, 28 or 30 front. 28x48 combo is very low, it has a ratio of 28/48=0.58, and 26x51 at 0.51 would be very much so. It is a ratio that is less than what a triple with a 20 front and 1136 cassette could give you back in the days! (20/36=0.56)

What is your set up right now? Are you on 2x but with what rings/cassette?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    All my parts finally showed up ( every single one of them late ). Got the bike back together today and was able to do a neighborhood test ride. Set up was easy, everything shifts well. Can back pedal in any gear without issue. I will likely change the chain line to be the narrow side of the range to give some relief to the big cog end of things.

Gearing wise, I think I will get along just fine and don't feel like I will be missing anything.

Happy I made the change.

A note for others that are looking at 12 speed gear, I went with the Raceface ring. It says it's not compatible with the XTR 12 speed chain. It is the Quick Link that is the issue, it wants to ride up over the ring. I replaced it with a KMC link and it works perfectly.

Joel

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So I did play with the chain line and was able to make it better. I'm at about 48.5mm. I still have 6.5mm chain to tire clearance on the big cog and no ticking on the smallest cog.

That did help the angle of the big cog a bit. looking at things, I don't think changing to bigger rings will pose a problem.

After I did this I wondered if there were any other issues I might run into. I found this article from Wolf Tooth that seems to say I'm not doing anything evil. Perhaps I wont see as much wear as bikes that are set up with box numbers.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...and-chainrings