Frustration with Ibis and Ripley Supply Chain/Shipping Delays- Mtbr.com
    Rlr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Frustration with Ibis and Ripley Supply Chain/Shipping Delays

I really want to like this bike, but continual excuses by Ibis is not only reflecting poorly on themselves, but also the IBS that continue to represent this company. This is a simple excersize in supply chain management, generally you risk corporate reputation at the expense of continued product delays. I placed my order May 1st with local IBS. At time was given a June 15th delivery date. I thought that was being patient, but now i learn that Ibis has indicated July15th ... with my lbs providing the caveat or ,"I wouldn't hold your breath!".
    I really want to like this bike, this company ... but I will not tolerate inefficiency and blatant misinformation by an organization that just doesn't get it. The lack of Ripmo should have been my first clue to attempting to branch out to Ibis ... all of which has left me in a negative space, so much that I cancelled my order and feel sorry for IBS that have their reputation affected by Ibis's inability to provide product or at the simplest, a realistic estimation of product distribution. Ibis you have to do better ... at least my two cents. Sorry for the rant ... but the intention here os for Ibis to attempt to rectify all of this by perhaps engaging with the people that buy their product. How about some sort of update for all of those people that continue to be patient?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's been my experience that this is standard fare for the release of any new new bike that ends up being a "hit".

There is no line for shitty bikes if you're in a hurry

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Small company so they produce fairly small frame batches and this bike was a super hit so here we are. Note the distributors whom ordered in volume had little issue at launch but if your lbs did not pre ordered then you go after those whom did---weeks ago folks were complaining but others were getting product. I was at IBIS and this is what the relayed----now everyone is waiting as production is what it is--IBIS as a small outfit only can commit so much capital up front with unknown demand---do not be surprised if SC has the same issue with the new HT and they have no capital constraints. Remember when all is said and done these bikes for the entire USA are not high volume---

Plenty of good bikes if IBIS bothers you

Rlr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    You know, I would tend to agree, however, at least in my experience, Yeti came forth with a real estimate of delivery. It is a sad state of affairs when the LBS tells me not to get too excited! On that note, if my bike cannot be cancelled, sounds like it will be easy to unload ... interested?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Seriously though, what's the hurry?

Be patient. You'll get a great bike.

I wanted a Sprinter. 10 month wait. But I had a truck so I put down a deposit. Would have loved it for the summer but I won't get it til fall. My dodge will do in the inetrim. No big deal.

Rlr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Trying to be patient ... I had hoped to have bike dialed for Crowsnest 100 and the BCBR, but at this moment I would be happy to just have the bike to ride at either event. At least I will have it in time for a Teton trip planned for early September. Anyway, appreciate the words ... as a well known Canuck said (Tippey) in one of the NWD videos ... ,"Lets Ride!".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not my place to be impatient or not. I will say that their will be plenty of responses that will say it is a small company, that it is worth the wait, or that you shouldn't be impatient. Maybe they are right. On the other hand it is 2019. Someone at Ibis has the accurate information put together a real estimate, and the flow of information to keep it updated. Granted it may not be the answer you want, granted it may change for reasons beyond everyone's control. That is life. If the July date is the real date as they know it and they gave you that info, at least they are communicating and trying to do the right thing.

In recent years I waited 6 months for a new model I paid for, only to have the big S tell me they couldn't even conjure a guess, while they delivered bikes to stores that didn't even have an order in. I still don't find it one bit funny that they never delivered that bike to the LBS. Daimler/Chrysler (Jeep) did the essentially the same thing to me on a $35,000 vehicle. I cancelled my order after 200 days and lost my deposit on that one.

I bet you will love your new bike when you finally get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    my story, crossposting from another thread,

-ordered Ripmo frame in late April - was told Mid-June
    -Early June rolls around, I call in - am told NOPE it will be Late JULY
    -I leave a strong voicemail and have my shop contact their rep
    -Lo and behold, the frame is already there. the day after i called and was told it wouldn't be available for another 7 weeks.

-outcome is, i ended up getting the frame earlier than expected, but with some weird stuff along the way.

Ibis is a victim of their own success i guess. Maybe they don't want to take outside money to buy supply and are watching their cashflow carefully. I dont really know...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am in the same boat as all of you and have been with each new model of Ibis Iíve ordered. This Ripley has been a particular challenge and though it wonít mean much to those waiting for bikes, I have heard that the demand for this Ripley may have exceeded Ibis most optimistic forecasts by more than 100%. If that is true then itís a really tough (good tough) situation for Ibis. There are simply limits to how many units can be ordered from a capital standpoint and how many can be manufactured in a given timeframe.

Then factor in that some savvy dealers know to order big and order early and order 20 or 30 or more bikes immediately, stacking the queue which is great for those dealers and their customers (Pro Bike Supply, Competitive, Jenson and others) but it means smaller dealers or dealers that wait too late to order may have to wait a long time for delivery of the products. I agree that Ibis needs to manage supply better and communicate well with dealers and customers about what to expect, but having a launch exceed the best plan by 2x or more is virtually impossible for a brand the size of Ibis to meet expectations.

As long as Ibis keeps designing excellent bikes, setting the standard of care for customers and maintains high quality levels - be patient. The new Ripley is worth the wait.
    Frustration with Ibis and Ripley Supply Chain/Shipping Delays-51ea3da0-fa85-49c1-b6ab-5b6e43182c55.jpg

Demo courtesy Pro Bike Supply

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Standard fare with Ibis bikes I'm afraid. I had it with HD3 and HD4, so decided to buy my Ripmo later in the model cycle.

If it's a bike you're gonna keep for a while then just suck it up and ask the LBS to supply a demo while you wait (mine did). If you're a bike flipper then buy something else and get a Ripley in 12 months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    AS I recall last year Norco ran out is Sights in early spring----Rocky seems to run out early near every year--knolly took months on the fugitive-even Spesh has issues with the new Stumpy----not saying this is good but seems common.

For me the good news is more good bikes keep coming and I keep riding my Pivot but with cash burning in my pocket----not a bad thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A thirty delay on a brand new bike. Get over it.

mtbr member
    Don't limit yourself to one dealer!!! There are many dealers out there selling Ibis that will gladly sell you a bike. How bad do you want it? Sometimes you have to do a little work on your end - my advice call around, there is probably one sitting in shop somewhere. The more remote the bike shop, the high the likelihood they have one.

EAT MORE GRIME
    first world problems

Giant is bigger than anyone else. sells more bikes than anyone else. has more bikes in the supply chain than anyone else, biggest logistics...dealer network...all that

and it still took me 2.5 and 4 months to get two new bikes from Giant, same deal....just wait man it's not the end of the world.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Too Much Fun

Deep New Bike Thoughts

A few thoughts...

1) Don't get hyped on a new bike unless you are willing to hustle to find a frame/bike in stock, or incoming soon. I've ordered bikes from shops across the country because they had what I wanted (HakkaMX - shout to Tenafly Bicycle Works in NJ!). Some shops take priority with Ibis due to their business - get to know them and get in line IMMEDIATELY.

2) Wait until things settle down. I waited 8-10months to pull the trigger on a Ripmo frame. Was able to get it quickly. AMAZING BIKE.

3) Ibis makes incredible bikes and they consistently sell out the first few batches. AFAIK, they tried to have a huge stock of Ripley V4 in stock at time of release, and they STILL blew through all estimates.

4) Get a frameset, not full bike. Sometimes it's just way easier(+faster) to get the frame and kit separately.
    Last edited by benja55; 06-28-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: minor edit
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun
    5) Summer seems to slow things down for everyone. I've had several friends take bikes into shops for service and they're all booked out 2 weeks, just for service!
    - -benja- -

Keep on Rockin...
    A testament to how great these new, short travel, slack 29er are. You can't keep them on the shelves. My Trance 29 is such a great bike.

I would get too negative towards relatively small bike companies who don't want to bankrupt themselves by going overboard with unused stock. When these small companies take on too much financial burden, they disappear. Then guess what - fewer nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Seriously though, what's the hurry?

Be patient. You'll get a great bike.

I wanted a Sprinter. 10 month wait. But I had a truck so I put down a deposit. Would have loved it for the summer but I won't get it til fall. My dodge will do in the inetrim. No big deal.

Well, to me its not an issue of being patient. It is an issue of delivering what you were told when you signed up to purchase. Promising something you can't provide just to make a sale is not the right way to do business IMO. Even if it is customary. I mean, that's not how I run my business. If I have a client need something, I tell them when I can realistically get it done, and let them decide if they want to pay me to do it or find someone faster. That's the way it works. Do I lose some work over it? Of course I do. But I'd rather deliver what I promised, and not overpromise when I know I can't deliver.

And if Ibis knew it was looking at 100% over what it had expected, the honest thing to do is to shut down orders until it catches up. That happens all the time, too, especially among smaller manufacturers of all types of stuff. Not keep taking orders and stringing us along.

And yeah, some of us NEED a bike. My Enduro is done, I'm essentially bikeless, having decided not to sink any more $$ into it on repairs believing I'd have my Ripmo a week ago. I scheduled a bike trip with my brother over the 4th which looks to be in jeopardy now. The Ripmo seems like a great bike, but it's not the be all end all, and I'd rather have something comparable that I can ride now than spend half my summer walking the trails!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

EAT MORE GRIME
    you ain't bikeless until you are down to only 4 bikes in the quiver.

if you have less than 4 bikes, then you really never had any bikes to begin with...
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hear ya..frustrating.

Like benja said...I'd wait until the dust settles. Sometimes good to not get first runs anyway. Let them get the glitches out. (Ibis seems to have that figured out, ripmo is dialed.)

The bike will still be new to you next season.

Really want a Ripmo and maybe a V4 Ripley. Decided to wait until next year. While waiting I swapped out the tires on my Ripley and it feels refreshed and different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

if you have less than 4 bikes, then you really never had any bikes to begin with...
    Hmmm... broken down Enduro, carbon road bike, old aluminum road bike ... I guess I have to include the Sports Authority 24" diamond back to get to being a bike owner! lol

Honestly, I'm a one bike guy, which is why the Ripmo is so intriguing and caught my attention. But I would be just as happy on an SB150 that I could be riding right now!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Then go buy the SB150. And I'm not trying to be dismissive or a d!ck about it. Too many great bikes on the market. I personally don't ever preorder or buy a bike that's not in stock and ready to ship. That way I don't end up in a position of missing rides or, worse, a scheduled trip.

I bought my Ripmo after the initial rush and had it in two days after order. Sorta wish I hadn't sold it; still probably the best all-around bike on the market.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlr View Post
    This is a simple excersize in supply chain management
    Apologies for the delays! Here's a bit more info on what's going on behind the scenes:

We suspected this frame would do well so we planned accordingly with projections and orders and extra tooling and staff to support the volume.

When we launched the bike we had already shipped the first month production out to dealers and distributors and some of them had stock ready to go. The second and third month's production sold out in the first 48 hours after launch.

This meant that if you called and asked what the lead time was at 10 am and then placed the order that afternoon, the lead time could have changed by a month.

During this time we were using our system to give estimated ship dates which would have been reasonably accurate if we were able to process the orders quickly enough. We thought the Ripmo orders would decline somewhat when the Ripley came out, but they have stayed remarkably strong so our shop was stressed to do all the QC, assembly and shipping needed to actually get the bikes out once they arrive here. So, the schedule was slipping, maybe by 2-3 weeks.

We were airfreighting the frames here at a huge cost over ocean freight to save time, but they were getting here and then sitting for a couple of weeks as we work through QC, etc.

Even though we were airfreighting frames, it wasn't actually helpful in terms of getting all the orders out because in the time it takes to QC the frames, assemble them and ship, an ocean shipment could have made it there. So, we have split the shipments 1/2 air, 1/2 ocean, knowing that the ocean shipment will arrive just after we finish with the air portion and get them shipped out. This change prompted us to adjust the shipping schedule and projected arrival dates for everyone's orders in our system

The adjustment to the schedule is a more realistic estimate of the ship dates as we realized our limits in the shop and transition to ocean freight. We have hired 3 more people in production and are up 50% over last year, year to date. The factory is doing well and the whole system is pretty well balanced now.

We will do our best to provide accurate dates and make them happen. A number of customers have let us know (and we now realize) that the accuracy of the date is as important as the lead time itself, allowing you to plan ahead.

Thanks for your support and understanding!

Hans

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    What an excellent post. Thank you, sir.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hans, Scot and the Ibis team are the best in the business when it comes to customer care. Thanks for the concise update. After riding a demo, Iím pretty sure the bike is worth the wait as the Ripmo was. I canít wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Glad you are doing well enough to grow and hire some folks. I hope Ibis continues to be successful, innovative, independent, and unique.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

If I was a coffee drinker, I would have had a geyser of coffee shooting out my nose when I read that. Too funny!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Buy a used or deeply discounted prior Gen model when a new model comes out and you both save money and don't wait and always have something to look forward to.

Also, I agree....N+1 get a second bike or 5th (Trail, XC, Gravel, Road and Fat...maybe a unicycle too).

mtbr member
    Frustration with Ibis and Ripley Supply Chain/Shipping Delays-ya8adqbsl818o9r05lkh_1082040758.jpeg
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    IMHO, yet another reason to get the 831 program going and manufacture in the states.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    vespanasius, the emphasis on punctuality and planning iswhat made that arch possible in your avatar. what you whine about is what makes the West tick.

As Hans has surmised in his reply, it's more important to be precise with your forecasts than to be quick. under promise, over deliver.

Rlr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Great to see some engagement and opinions on this. We do not have to agree unanimously on anything, however my comment comes following Han's comment as representative for Ibis. Alcolades! This is what I would have expected, not continued relay of shipping delays to the LBS, which makes them look like a bunch of Clowns. The truth is what I personally seek in a world that seems so prone to BS on a daily basis. This combined with a response to an email I made to Ibis, has personally renewed my faith. Look we can all get in over our heads, and it is seriously an awesome problem to have demand greatly exceed the corps wildest sales projections, I am just happy to see that the company has taken the time to explain the situation. I prrsonally wish the company continued success, and hope that engagement with its consumer and fanbase continues in this manner. This is exactly all I could expect and hoped would be addressed. I was not let down. Thanks for bringing the small guy up to speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    IMHO, yet another reason to get the 831 program going and manufacture in the states.
    Ibis is a small company. I can't see them investing a huge amount of cash for those aluminum molds for full production.

And I think they want to stay small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    vespanasius, the emphasis on punctuality and planning iswhat made that arch possible in your avatar. what you whine about is what makes the West tick.

As Hans has surmised in his reply, it's more important to be precise with your forecasts than to be quick. under promise, over deliver.

Nah, the OP (with 3 total post before this!) was a ***** and baby. He comes on a site calling out Ibis for something as simple as a shipping delay -which is the result of supply/demand issues and not having his head patted by his mother. IBIS guy comes out says a couple of nice things and everyone is happy. Like Bob Kraft at a massage parlor.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Ibis is a small company. I can't see them investing a huge amount of cash for those aluminum molds for full production.

And I think they want to stay small.
    They are in the process of doing it right now which is a smart move. They are a great company.

Rlr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Nah, the OP (with 3 total post before this!) was a ***** and baby. He comes on a site calling out Ibis for something as simple as a shipping delay -which is the result of supply/demand issues and not having his head patted by his mother. IBIS guy comes out says a couple of nice things and everyone is happy. Like Bob Kraft at a massage parlor.
    Hey thanks for the vote of confidence. I asked a question, got a response from Hans (?) and an email from Ibis themselves. For that I give them kudos. The point here was the apparent lack of reasoning that my IBS couldnt provide, because they were not advised by Ibis. As indicated, the IBS didnt have any faith in what they were being fed, so why should I. I asked a question, got a reaponse ... i could frankly care less about anyones opinion ... respectively. Anyway, three posts in X number of years .... yeah you got that right ... and I dont have a problem with that. Wish you, personally, all the best in real life and your cyber alter ego. Enjoy big guy.

mtbr member
    If you haven't also figured it out yet, bike shops are not equal in the eyes of manufacturers. Your local shop probably doesn't have the "juice" to make things happen. I ordered a Ripmo on Thursday and it will be at my local shop on Tuesday.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Then go buy the SB150. And I'm not trying to be dismissive or a d!ck about it. Too many great bikes on the market. I personally don't ever preorder or buy a bike that's not in stock and ready to ship. That way I don't end up in a position of missing rides or, worse, a scheduled trip.

I bought my Ripmo after the initial rush and had it in two days after order. Sorta wish I hadn't sold it; still probably the best all-around bike on the market.
    Lol, well that's the point of my comment, yeah. I would rather have been given all the information I asked for in making the decision. Now a month in and I'm being told new stuff...that is the frustrating part.

I know, no big deal in the grand scheme. But still a bit frustrating, and not something I see as particularly hard to avoid. And it could be that my LBS is the one being less forthcoming with information, I don't know. But just being told over and over they don't know when is frustrating as these beautiful riding days come and go.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    If you haven't also figured it out yet, bike shops are not equal in the eyes of manufacturers. Your local shop probably doesn't have the "juice" to make things happen. I ordered a Ripmo on Thursday and it will be at my local shop on Tuesday.
    This comment is a little ironic in light of this thread, lol. "Ibis is just a little bike company, give them a break..." Well my LBS is a little guy, too. Literally a mom and pop shop dealing a few higher end bike brands which they can't afford to stock a whole lot on their floor. If Ibis is treating the little guys differently and asking for patience based on its own little guy status, that's another issue that doesn't seem quite right.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I did not read this whole thread. I'm sure the usual topics have been covered, small outfit, brand new bike, etc.

Another perspective -- scarcity drives demand. If there were ample amounts available, it loses some of its shine.

I called many dealers (dont have a LBS for Ibis). I found a few that still had some available. Ordered new Ripley v4 (large, black) 6/13. Took her out on maiden voyage yesterday.

If you don't have a LBS -- I highly recommend Shaun at N+1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    This comment is a little ironic in light of this thread, lol. "Ibis is just a little bike company, give them a break..." Well my LBS is a little guy, too. Literally a mom and pop shop dealing a few higher end bike brands which they can't afford to stock a whole lot on their floor. If Ibis is treating the little guys differently and asking for patience based on its own little guy status, that's another issue that doesn't seem quite right.
    I see your point of view here. It does seem slightly unjust.

Please allow me to pose a counter point. In my industry (completely unrelated to bikes), we look at our distributors as our customers, even though they are not the end user. We have distributors that move $50,000 per year of our product, and we have distributors that move >$1MM. When there is a supply shortage and all the distributors are calling and asking for a scarce product, who do you think we send it to first?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Slave View Post
    I see your point of view here. It does seem slightly unjust.

Please allow me to pose a counter point. In my industry (completely unrelated to bikes), we look at our distributors as our customers, even though they are not the end user. We have distributors that move $50,000 per year of our product, and we have distributors that move >$1MM. When there is a supply shortage and all the distributors are calling and asking for a scarce product, who do you think we send it to first?
    Well when you do that, do you leave the smaller distributors in the dark about when they might expect to receive something? Or tell them, hey, we're 6 months out, you might consider something else if you can't wait that long? Or do you just tell them "it's coming" and let them wait without knowing what to expect.

I'd be fine with Ibis telling its smaller customers, hey, Jenson and Competitive Cyclist are going fill up our Ripmo orders this year, sorry. Or whatever. I don't have an issue with the supply chain. I have an issue with their approach to managing it and communicating. Not good business.

Or maybe it is, lol. I ended up buying an Ibis, where I wouldn't have if I had known I'd wait 2 months for it. They're gonna get my money in the end; at this point, I have too much invested in time and deposits, so I guess I'll wait it out. They win, lol.

At least my LBS has the decency to lend me a demo for my trip this weekend free of charge. They seem to be trying to make up for it at their own expense. Ibis might learn something from these mom and pop shops! Lol
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    LBS's have a good idea what they have been allotted for the next 6 months. Do larger stores get more if they ask?, maybe but I don't know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You know what's frustrating. The bikes ARE out there. People are getting them.

If you are a big customer, a shop CAN get one for you. They will either bump someone else's and give it to you (I suspect this is the reason for many of the pushed back delivery dates. If I am a regular customer and buy 3 bikes a year and you buy a bike every three years they are going to take care of the regular.) Or the shop has some clout with Ibis, they can get one set for you.

What is really frustrating is when you are a regular customer and the shop is unwilling to use their clout with Ibis. Such is life. Now my options are go to some other shop and get to the back of the line because they don't know me from any other walk in or buy something else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i speculate that this is almost what happened to me. a frame was promised a certain date, someone else there subsequently told me it was 45 days late, my (small) dealer calls his rep after i leave an angry voicemail with Ibis myself, and then wouldn't you know it the bike frame is magically in stock and shipping out the next day.

Ride On!
    Curious, what size and color did you order ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    medium black ripmos look to be backordered until OCTOBER! wow

https://www.ibisb2b.com/ripmo.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well, small v4s in blue show jan 15th 2020.

mtbr member

Wow...I hope that doesn't include mine! lol

LBS said another 7 to 10 days ...
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Last Friday (7/5), my LBS told me mid-Oct for a blue large, if I ordered now. Honestly, not a huge difference between October and January. Receiving a bike mid-Oct means I have about a month of riding left before the spring (Oregon).

My LBS had pretty good supply chain information. I forget exact dates but more or less this: A batch of frames will arrive at Ibis mid-late September, Ibis take about 2 weeks to build the bikes, a few days transit to my LBS, who then need 2-4 days for final assembly set up.

I'm ok, but not thrilled with this wait. It would mean no riding for me for this summer. I'm upgrading from a very very old 26er that isn't really viable anymore. I still have one or two more bikes to demo, but so far the Ripley is at the top of my list.

EDIT: The link above now shows a large blue out to Oct 25th, which means why should I rush to purchase? If I can't get a bike before November, the delivery date might as well be April 2020

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Cool, I had no idea that website was there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Curious, what size and color did you order ?
    A blue frame in size medium...
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    A blue frame in size medium...

You're gonna love it! order them orange stickers for the wheels, best thing I've bought for my blue ripmo! Makes it really look good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    Last Friday (7/5), my LBS told me mid-Oct for a blue large, if I ordered now. Honestly, not a huge difference between October and January. Receiving a bike mid-Oct means I have about a month of riding left before the spring (Oregon).

My LBS had pretty good supply chain information. I forget exact dates but more or less this: A batch of frames will arrive at Ibis mid-late September, Ibis take about 2 weeks to build the bikes, a few days transit to my LBS, who then need 2-4 days for final assembly set up.

I'm ok, but not thrilled with this wait. It would mean no riding for me for this summer. I'm upgrading from a very very old 26er that isn't really viable anymore. I still have one or two more bikes to demo, but so far the Ripley is at the top of my list.

EDIT: The link above now shows a large blue out to Oct 25th, which means why should I rush to purchase? If I can't get a bike before November, the delivery date might as well be April 2020
    Sometimes there is an advantage to waiting. I ordered my ripmo in july 2018 and got it in early october. It arrived with the new grip 2 and 4 pot XT brakes and no price difference. I was happy

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    My local shop in MT ordered a black Ripley on June 10th, 2019. It was supposed to show up Mid Oct but now it is looking like maybe early Nov 2019. Anyone have an update on ship dates or get theirs yet?

mtbr member
    Mine took almost 4 full months. Ordered it in the middle of May, got it on September 13th. But it was a frame only, a large in black.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Vietnam to San Francisco is 7,000+ miles. Numerous issues with that number other than just distance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ordered Lg in black with X01 build at end of Sept. and was told 11/15 eta. The shop I use is a large dealer for Ibis and they have always been pretty spot on with etaís.

I do believe they (Ibis) were overwhelmed with the amount of orders with both the Ripmo and Ripley. Having ridden both several times I completely understand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just got my XL Ripley. About two weeks from order placed to delivery. Nothing but good things to say about the process, but I understand others have waited a long time and had to deal with setbacks...I think I just got lucky with the timing of shipment, size batch, color batch, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    As mentioned by others, the lack of supply at launch is a common issue these days. GG, Giant, Ibis, etc. These bikes are getting out to dealers and into people's hands, just look around at MTBR posts and social media. I ordered on launch day, had my date pushed back twice and got fed up with the whole waiting thing... So, I pulled a list of every dealer listed on Ibis' site and then went and looked up emails for all of them. I started bcc'ing to email them ~10 at a time with exactly what I wanted for the build kit, color, etc and found 3-4 shops in the Western US that had what I was looking for in stock and ready to roll.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sg10 View Post
    As mentioned by others, the lack of supply at launch is a common issue these days. GG, Giant, Ibis, etc. These bikes are getting out to dealers and into people's hands, just look around at MTBR posts and social media. I ordered on launch day, had my date pushed back twice and got fed up with the whole waiting thing... So, I pulled a list of every dealer listed on Ibis' site and then went and looked up emails for all of them. I started bcc'ing to email them ~10 at a time with exactly what I wanted for the build kit, color, etc and found 3-4 shops in the Western US that had what I was looking for in stock and ready to roll.
    That is exactly how I scored my wife a small V1 Ripley back in the day after the V2 came out with no smalls. Someone somewhere has what you want

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Iím one of the folks who ordered and paid in April and it took 6 months for the bike to arrive. When I called Ibis in late August to try to get a straight story on the delay I was told the same thing as Hans posted and additionally that frames in the que are sometimes pulled for warranty replacements. Since other folks who ordered bikes from small dealers (Not pre ordered) as late as July got their bike by September, I guess I was one of the unfortunate ones whoís frame was pulled to replace a warranty issue.
    As others have pointed out- a first world problem -but Iím not in a position to prepay for a 5k bike without selling the current one. As the original poster stated decisions are based on information from the dealer on availability and they make that based on communication with Ibis. So Iím glad my bike is here after a half a year riding road and gravel, but hopefully Ibis will have deeper warranty inventory in the future so no one will have to wait a half a year for their product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Yerma View Post
    Iím one of the folks who ordered and paid in April and it took 6 months for the bike to arrive. When I called Ibis in late August to try to get a straight story on the delay I was told the same thing as Hans posted and additionally that frames in the que are sometimes pulled for warranty replacements. Since other folks who ordered bikes from small dealers (Not pre ordered) as late as July got their bike by September, I guess I was one of the unfortunate ones whoís frame was pulled to replace a warranty issue.
    As others have pointed out- a first world problem -but Iím not in a position to prepay for a 5k bike without selling the current one. As the original poster stated decisions are based on information from the dealer on availability and they make that based on communication with Ibis. So Iím glad my bike is here after a half a year riding road and gravel, but hopefully Ibis will have deeper warranty inventory in the future so no one will have to wait a half a year for their product.
    Or build better quality to reduce\eliminate warranty claims...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just up on PB for those looking for a medium
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2604645/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Your bike shop made you prepay? That's ridiculous...time for a new shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Part of that is you're not taking into account frame size and color. If you order one of the more common sizes and the more popular color- well the wait is going to be longer.

Also just how many for warranty is enough? Molds cost a ton and they need to sell bikes to recoup the costs. If you take into account color and sizes, it would take 40 frames to cover each combo with 5 warranty frame.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    At this point if your shop is unwilling or unable to flex with Ibis and get a Ripley for you it's time to get something else. Plenty of great options out there. No matter how amazing the bike is, if you can't actually get one it's not worth it. Ask for your money back and get something else.

banned
    Jul 2015
    When it comes to waiting 3-6 months from your LBS, have any of you considering using the search function and calling some out of State bikes shops that have frames in stock? Ibis posts their dealers by State. I walked into my LBS a few weeks ago to see at least 1 black frame hanging on the wall, while others in this thread are still waiting for their promised shipment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Small shop with minimum inventory. Nothing ridiculous about it. Many small vendors who are dealers for various lines simply cannot order size runs of of each model bike, so itís considered a special order. In fact they offered me a refund and the option of ordering a different bike when the delivery kept getting pushed back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That's what a deposit is for. Full pay months in advance is bad business.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No skin off my back. As mentioned the shop offered numerous times to refund my money. I guess I could have been earning a half point interest over those 6 months though 😉

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No skin off my back. As mentioned the shop offered numerous times to refund my money. I guess I could have been earning a half point interest over those 6 months though 😉
    Oh my mistake, I thought you were the one that was without a bike because you couldn't afford to prepay and keep your old bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    God this is painful to read. If it's not available in 3 days, I don't even care it exists. I haven't seen Ibis at any demo event, I don't know anyone who rides an Ibis, and none of my local stores stock their product. It could pedal itself and I couldn't be less interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    God this is painful to read. If it's not available in 3 days, I don't even care it exists. I haven't seen Ibis at any demo event, I don't know anyone who rides an Ibis, and none of my local stores stock their product. It could pedal itself and I couldn't be less interested.
    Interested enough to read this forum.
    Ripley LS v3

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Only interested enough to peak one eye from beneath his rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    High trails in SF has two ripleys and a ripmo AF built and on the floor if theres folks looking

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Correct. However a 20% deposit would not have changed the formula for me. YMMV.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yeah. I want to outerbike bentonville and Ripley/Ripmo were on the top of my wants to demo/ride and it was basically impossible. They looked like they had maybe 10 bikes, and were only letting them out for an hour if you could even get one. Which was pretty impossible considering we needed to clean them before coming back as well. Downside of a small company I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Yes, of course. Because I'm always in awe of why someone would wait in line to spend two months income on something. I dream of having any kind of business, even one selling hot dogs, where people will wait in line for the product. I see so many apologists above telling him to get over it, as if the satisfaction of having something 3 months from now is equal to having it right this instant. Everyone is free to apply his own discount rate, but I could be dead tomorrow for all I know, I certainly am not going to sit on the edge of my seat for months on end to spend my money. If you can't deliver a product timely, it better come at a huge discount or not at all. Life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    Yeah. I want to outerbike bentonville and Ripley/Ripmo were on the top of my wants to demo/ride and it was basically impossible. They looked like they had maybe 10 bikes, and were only letting them out for an hour if you could even get one. Which was pretty impossible considering we needed to clean them before coming back as well. Downside of a small company I guess.
    I've never been to an Outerbike, but I have been to two other demo events here in the west two years in a row and I do keep track of the demo circuit in case there's something I want to check out and ride. The only place I ever recall even seeing an Ibis in person was in Salida at Absolute Bikes. I may have walked past one or two in Moab the last time I was there. I know for sure I've never seen one for demo. There may be people here on this forum so wealthy that they can order something sight unseen and ride it for a year based on reputation alone, but that's definitely not me. I don't recall ever seeing a mountain bike that'd fit me for sale on a showroom floor anywhere (I ride a small, there are nearly always mediums and larges), so if I can't demo it and nobody stocks it, it might as well not exist at all.

I'm starting to wonder if manfacturers outside of the big four need to start subsidizing inventory and encouraging dealer transfers.

Before ~2000 or so, people would get on waiting lists and wait a year or more for a Harley-Davidson. Fast forward and the company spent millions of dollars to build huge showrooms along the highways everywhere and anyone can walk in, sign some papers, and leave with one today. Certainly over the last 20 years that has greatly enhanced the brand. H-D is obviously hurting right now business wise, with their customer base dying off and new ones not replacing them, but I don't think anyone would argue that the previous model--essentially rendering them unobtanium and people paying new prices for two year old models--was superior. Bicycles exist somewhere in-between that on a regular basis.

Those of you who have had the experience of walking into a store, seeing a bike in which you were interested, and impulse buying it and leaving with it today may not even realize how great an experience that must be. I know I'd be tempted to do it all the time if that opportunity presented.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yes, of course. Because i'm always in awe of why someone would wait in line to spend two months income on something. I dream of having any kind of business, even one selling hot dogs, where people will wait in line for the product. I see so many apologists above telling him to get over it, as if the satisfaction of having something 3 months from now is equal to having it right this instant. Everyone is free to apply his own discount rate, but i could be dead tomorrow for all i know, i certainly am not going to sit on the edge of my seat for months on end to spend my money. If you can't deliver a product timely, it better come at a huge discount or not at all. Life is too short.

I've never been to an outerbike, but i have been to two other demo events here in the west two years in a row and i do keep track of the demo circuit in case there's something i want to check out and ride. The only place i ever recall even seeing an ibis in person was in salida at absolute bikes. I may have walked past one or two in moab the last time i was there. I know for sure i've never seen one for demo. There may be people here on this forum so wealthy that they can order something sight unseen and ride it for a year based on reputation alone, but that's definitely not me. I don't recall ever seeing a mountain bike that'd fit me for sale on a showroom floor anywhere (i ride a small, there are nearly always mediums and larges), so if i can't demo it and nobody stocks it, it might as well not exist at all.

I'm starting to wonder if manfacturers outside of the big four need to start subsidizing inventory and encouraging dealer transfers.

Before ~2000 or so, people would get on waiting lists and wait a year or more for a harley-davidson. Fast forward and the company spent millions of dollars to build huge showrooms along the highways everywhere and anyone can walk in, sign some papers, and leave with one today. Certainly over the last 20 years that has greatly enhanced the brand. H-d is obviously hurting right now business wise, with their customer base dying off and new ones not replacing them, but i don't think anyone would argue that the previous model--essentially rendering them unobtanium and people paying new prices for two year old models--was superior. Bicycles exist somewhere in-between that on a regular basis.

Those of you who have had the experience of walking into a store, seeing a bike in which you were interested, and impulse buying it and leaving with it today may not even realize how great an experience that must be. I know i'd be tempted to do it all the time if that opportunity presented.

lol
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Yes, of course. Because I'm always in awe of why someone would wait in line to spend two months income on something. I dream of having any kind of business, even one selling hot dogs, where people will wait in line for the product. I see so many apologists above telling him to get over it, as if the satisfaction of having something 3 months from now is equal to having it right this instant. Everyone is free to apply his own discount rate, but I could be dead tomorrow for all I know, I certainly am not going to sit on the edge of my seat for months on end to spend my money. If you can't deliver a product timely, it better come at a huge discount or not at all. Life is too short.

Those of you who have had the experience of walking into a store, seeing a bike in which you were interested, and impulse buying it and leaving with it today may not even realize how great an experience that must be. I know I'd be tempted to do it all the time if that opportunity presented.
    Hey, I like instant gratification as much as the next guy but it's just a new bike. It's everything I expected but still just like 10% better at most than my old bike was. And worth every penny. I could have yanked my deposit and chased one down sooner, but it was a choice to support a small local shop that is just becoming an Ibis dealer and wait it out. So yeah, cool story bro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Hey, I like instant gratification as much as the next guy but it's just a new bike. It's everything I expected but still just like 10% better at most than my old bike was. And worth every penny. I could have yanked my deposit and chased one down sooner, but it was a choice to support a small local shop that is just becoming an Ibis dealer and wait it out. So yeah, cool story bro.
    "Just a new bike"?

You have to be pretty wealthy to not recognize that spending $5000+ on anything is extraordinary. A bike isn't a new soccer ball or a baseball bat. A $5000+ piece of equipment is a big purchase for nearly anyone.

mtbr member
    "Just a new bike"?

You have to be pretty wealthy to not recognize that spending $5000+ on anything is extraordinary. A bike isn't a new soccer ball or a baseball bat. A $5000+ piece of equipment is a big purchase for nearly anyone.
    I like nice bikes with nice parts, but I don't buy new bikes very often. I also don't buy new cars or have any expensive bad habits. I fix everything possible myself. A well considered and planned for high end equipment purchase for my primary recreational activity that will last for years is not out of line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I like nice bikes with nice parts, but I don't buy new bikes very often. I also don't buy new cars or have any expensive bad habits. I fix everything possible myself. A well considered and planned for high end equipment purchase for my primary recreational activity that will last for years is not out of line.
    Didn't say that it was. I have one like most of us here.

But once I make a purchase decision involving this kind of cash, I'm not waiting an indeterminate amount of time to get it. Either produce the product or I'm giving my money to your competitors. If I'm too demanding a customer, then I'm glad we didn't have the pleasure of doing business under those circumstances.

"Instant" gratification I do not demand, but if you can't produce the product from inventory, I'm not interested. If I have to wait months on end, it better be one-off, custom, just for me.

mtbr member
    "Instant" gratification I do not demand, but if you can't produce the product from inventory, I'm not interested. If I have to wait months on end, it better be one-off, custom, just for me.
    Yeah I think we get that. No problem, less wait for those of us not in such a hurry. And that's fine, I don't think anybody begrudges you your impatience. I'm willing to wait a bit for exactly what I want. Not everybody is. I'm not naturally patient, but I think it is healthy to occasionally put myself in situations that require it, and the payoff is sweet.

Ibis is a small company that punches above their weight consistently. Huge demand is a bitch, but it's a good problem to have. I like being on an excellent bike that fits my needs precisely, and I don't see myself coming and going on the trails. It's all good, my frame arrived as promised (if I forget about the first couple of promises) and it's a beast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Didn't say that it was. I have one like most of us here.

But once I make a purchase decision involving this kind of cash, I'm not waiting an indeterminate amount of time to get it. Either produce the product or I'm giving my money to your competitors. If I'm too demanding a customer, then I'm glad we didn't have the pleasure of doing business under those circumstances.

So why are you here go buy some other mass produced bike- cya. Oh don't wait too long, even the big boys run out of stock and you'll have to wait months until the next years cycle.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    double post
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yeah I think we get that. No problem, less wait for those of us not in such a hurry. And that's fine, I don't think anybody begrudges you your impatience. I'm willing to wait a bit for exactly what I want. Not everybody is. I'm not naturally patient, but I think it is healthy to occasionally put myself in situations that require it, and the payoff is sweet.

Ibis is a small company that punches above their weight consistently. Huge demand is a bitch, but it's a good problem to have. I like being on an excellent bike that fits my needs precisely, and I don't see myself coming and going on the trails. It's all good, my frame arrived as promised (if I forget about the first couple of promises) and it's a beast.
    The "small company" crap is just that, crap. There are no "bike companies." There are bike factories in Asia where they are cranking out frames one after the other. If there is "huge demand," then there ought to be projections showing the same, orders of frames to satisfy that demand, and ultimately, inventory from which to satisfy that. If a "company" (what they really are are design companies, not producers of much of anything) can't do that, then they deserve whatever pissed off prospective customers they can produce. And if they mislead customers about lead times after their projection and inventory management fail, then they deserve whatever punitive response customers have when they angrily move onto another brand.

I get it, you're happy with your purchase because you have it in hand. I'm glad you like your bike. I'm a neutral. I'd be happy to ride anyone's bike, but if they don't hit the demo circuit, don't have inventory in stores for me to manhandle, and there are none for me to examine myself, the prospects of me handing them my $5000 so that they can deliver me a bike on their schedule some many months from now, or maybe next year, or whenever they get around to it, is not only not attractive to me, it's completely out of the question.

I can respect if others think otherwise, or if they, once getting to ride the bikes, think they are so wonderful that they are worth supporting those kinds of business practices. Personally, I have zero time for that. If you do, it's your life and time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    dude. they take big risks committing to whatever numbers of bikes they order. small companies can take themselves out pretty quickly if they over order and can't cover.

as much as i wish ibis would grow faster than they are, i'd rather they stay independent and suffer supply issues than sell out and have to answer to a corporate overlord.

Name:  91sn32Q.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  96.3 KB

mtbr member
    I can respect if others think otherwise, or if they, once getting to ride the bikes, think they are so wonderful that they are worth supporting those kinds of business practices. Personally, I have zero time for that. If you do, it's your life and time.
    It's not like I was sitting around with no bike, just waiting for it to arrive so I could get on with my life. I think you have some unreasonable expectations of the industry to meet your desires. You are significantly limiting your options, but hey, you don't have to wait for anything. We all set our own priorities.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The "small company" crap is just that, crap. There are no "bike companies." There are bike factories in Asia where they are cranking out frames one after the other. If there is "huge demand," then there ought to be projections showing the same, orders of frames to satisfy that demand, and ultimately, inventory from which to satisfy that. If a "company" (what they really are are design companies, not producers of much of anything) can't do that, then they deserve whatever pissed off prospective customers they can produce. And if they mislead customers about lead times after their projection and inventory management fail, then they deserve whatever punitive response customers have when they angrily move onto another brand.

I get it, you're happy with your purchase because you have it in hand. I'm glad you like your bike. I'm a neutral. I'd be happy to ride anyone's bike, but if they don't hit the demo circuit, don't have inventory in stores for me to manhandle, and there are none for me to examine myself, the prospects of me handing them my $5000 so that they can deliver me a bike on their schedule some many months from now, or maybe next year, or whenever they get around to it, is not only not attractive to me, it's completely out of the question.

You've just shown yourself as not really having a clue.
    Ripley LS v3

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Jesus, so many words on one person's opinion about the availability of a bicycle.

We get it. I mean, how could we not? You keep saying the same thing. Over and over.

Look, I actually agree with twodownzero's initial point. I'm an XL so not a ton of options generally available on the floor. But if a bike isn't sitting in a warehouse ready to ship, I don't buy it.

But, like most people, he can't be satisfied to make one valid point and move on.

Please, sir, shuffle along to the next manufacturer's forum to scream at the sky and let us get on with riding bikes.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím not sure why anyone cares what he thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Jesus, so many words on one person's opinion about the availability of a bicycle.

We get it. I mean, how could we not? You keep saying the same thing. Over and over.

Look, I actually agree with twodownzero's initial point. I'm an XL so not a ton of options generally available on the floor. But if a bike isn't sitting in a warehouse ready to ship, I don't buy it.

But, like most people, he can't be satisfied to make one valid point and move on.

Please, sir, shuffle along to the next manufacturer's forum to scream at the sky and let us get on with riding bikes.
    I'm mostly interested in seeing how people are trying to rationalize this, especially with there being so many good bikes out there now. Every time I go to a demo event I am impressed at just how good all of them are, even the ones from unknown brands.

There's also some degree of that I would love to have any business where people would wait in line for my product, even if I would spend a great deal of effort making sure they didn't have to.

mtbr member
    I'm mostly interested in seeing how people are trying to rationalize this, especially with there being so many good bikes out there now. Every time I go to a demo event I am impressed at just how good all of them are, even the ones from unknown brands.

There's also some degree of that I would love to have any business where people would wait in line for my product, even if I would spend a great deal of effort making sure they didn't have to.
    Dude, some days I have to rationalize getting out of bed in the morning.
    The Ripley was e-a-s-y.

You need to give up this internet forum social experiment gig and start your bike company already. Every model, every size, every color, always in stock. It's what the people want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Shady, but another for sale: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2668092/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Shady, but another for sale: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2668092/
    I always love the unregistered part. That doesn't mean shit. You need your receipt and that has your name, address etc. on it.

I guess you can doctor it up.
    Ripley LS v3