mtbr member
    Dec 2005

frame prep HS/BB facing

two questions:

first, how well was the carbon machined in the upper and lower head set seat areas on everyone elses frame?

i don't have the HS yet, but i am not sure it is going to sit in the frame nicely. there are some parts that have a definitive machined area and then some that look sort of sanded down without "crisp" machined edges/angles.

one spot looks like it will have to be razor bladed/o-ring picked out so the HS will sit right.

secondly, usually BB have chatter marks where they are faced from the cutters. i cannot tell if my BB is faced?? definitely no chatter marks.

i have been told they come faced before but they don't look it. it looks like it might have been "flat plate" sanded, but this is different than actual facing of the two opposing surfaces

a confused and concerned mx

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I built my SL frame last week with no problems in these areas, The HS cups were fine and the sealed bearings of the IS headset fit nicely in the frame cups. The BB went in easier than any new frame I have ever installed and I have installed many a BB into frames in my day.

Pop a cold one, put on some good music and enjoy building up the finest frame ever produced. And get ready for the ride of your life.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i am not talking about chasing the threads of BB....i am talking about facing. this wouldn't affect how your BB screwed in.

the HS area concerns me. i just want to know what others' frames looked like

thanks for writing

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    not trying to cause trouble, just genuinely curious.

i am wondering if i should run my facer lightly over the BB shell, sort of as a touch up. however, i want to be cognizant of how much material is being or has been removed.

i would take a pic of the HT, but i don't think the camera will show the black angles as described. it is sort of like there is not a definitive angular HS contact area in certain spots. one area feels irregular to touch...like the machining tool or whatever deviated slightly as it was being with drawn.

i will be getting my HS soon so i can drop it in and see.

does the HS need to be pressed in with fingers or is there any play? so i know what to look for in advance.

thanks

mx

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The IS headset bearings should fall in easily.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I asked Scot about the BB facing and he said they take care of it.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Members who have read this thread: 0