mtbr member

Fox Float 150 or RS Revelation 150 for SL build

Just down to the decision of what fork to get.

I think I have ruled out travel adjust since I don't have many sustained steep climbs here in eastern MA. I am also favoring the weight and $ savings.

Does anyone have input on the 2011 Revelation vs the Float?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had 2 Revelations (2010 and 06) and been very happy with them. They are cheaper than Fox (especially Talas vs Uturn) and you can easily get full range, unlike at least the older Fox. Very smooth.

aka dan51
    My 2010 Rev is great. Smooth as butter since day 1.

Let the good times roll.
    I haven't ridden the 2011 forks, but I have ridden 2010 and earlier. I've never ridden a Fox air fork that felt smooth enough for me. That includes the Float, TALAS, 36, and 32 series. Even if there isn't noticeable stiction, the fork's action still feels a bit wooden on the trail. Don't get me wrong; they aren't bad forks. They are reliable and work well enough. I just dont find them quite plush and active enough for my tastes.

On the other hand, I've never ridden a Revelation Dual Air fork that didn't impress me once the pressures were set up right. That's the only air fork I would ever consider putting on my bike if i wanted an XC setup. They feel almost as plush as my Lyrik U-Turn, and can be dialled in to match just about any rider's preferences.

So based on that, I'd recommend a Rev dual air. Get whichever model has the damper features and adjustments you want. There's a chance the 2011 Fox air forks are better than past years, but I rather doubt it. I guess I'll have to try one eventually and find out.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    I have not had my Mojo for long, however I had a chance to ride it with three different forks 2007 Zocchi Z1SL/ 150mm, 2010 FOX FLOAT RLC FIT 140mm/15mm and the 2010 Rock Shock REV RACE DUAL AIR 140mm/ 20mm TA. Weight and ridding feel the FOX and REV are very similar however the rockshox feels stiffer than the FOX to my surprise and that for me its a big plus.

I sold my REV so I could buy the FOX and even though I'm not terribly disappointed with the FOX I'd wonder if selling the RockShox was a wise choice.

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Float 150 or RS Revelation 150 for SL build-photo115.jpg  

Fox Float 150 or RS Revelation 150 for SL build-img_3181.jpg  

Fox Float 150 or RS Revelation 150 for SL build-img_3122.jpg  

Last edited by pvflyer; 10-23-2010 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I really wish they offered the Rev. U-turn or "Dual Position" as an option on their builds. I really want adjustable travel but I don't want to pay that much extra for the Talas especially when everything I've read says the Rev is just as good or better.

Wish I could afford to build one from scratch!

Dropshot Champ!
    that new revelation world cup carbon looks like SEX.

The new dual air travel system looks pretty good, drops it to 120mm without the annoying turns of Uturn.

It's 3.46lbs too, which is crazy light. That's lighter than my 100mm reba world cup carbon!

The one downside....always.....COST. But damn it's a sexy beast!

You could always just choose the rev 150 on your build right now, and then sell it if you needed travel adjust and that money down on the rev you wanted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904
    I really wish they offered the Rev. U-turn or "Dual Position" as an option on their builds. I really want adjustable travel but I don't want to pay that much extra for the Talas especially when everything I've read says the Rev is just as good or better.

Wish I could afford to build one from scratch!
    yes, it's unfortunate they don't give you the uturn/dualPosition as an option like they do with the Talas... maybe if enough people ask, they would. Looks like Fox has the EOM market pretty nailed down... which is why RS has to work extra hard at having (better) products for less.

aka dan51
    You could look into seeing what it takes to change from a fixed length fork into a uturn fork. My guess is for under $200 you could swap out the spring mechanism in the left leg and have a uturn model. The lowers and uppers are likely the exact same between models.

mtbr member
    Dbug thanks forthe advice. I had not thought about that approach I will see if I can get and official answer from SRAM or maybe even PUSH and post it back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    You could look into seeing what it takes to change from a fixed length fork into a uturn fork. My guess is for under $200 you could swap out the spring mechanism in the left leg and have a uturn model. The lowers and uppers are likely the exact same between models.
    Yeah, wonder if you could get the newer 2 position system and retrofit a 2010 version to use that left leg internal instead of the uturn... that is the one thing I would change and always envy the Talas system for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not to get too off topic, but it seems like the majority here does prefer RS and I seem to hear it throughout MTBR's forums. The question I have then is what is RS doing wrong with its marketing b/c Fox absolutely kills RS in terms of appeal to the general riding populace. By that I mean that if you are going to sell a bike and it has Fox suspension, you'll get more calls than if it has RS. The dealers know this too--thats why so many stock bikes come with Fox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Could be that RS didn't have a very good reputation until SRAM took over, and it takes a long time to change people perception. Also Fox charges more, and so maybe helps that perception that it is better ? Also if you have amazing OEM deal, it's hard to get in there in front of customers.

It happened in the chip industry. AMD had better chips when Althon came out (vs crappy Intel P4 HT chip which were hot headed and not that fast) and took a long time for gamers machine to use that by default, and eventually grab hold of the general population (to some extend - gamers saw the potental earlier). then AMD had a misshap, and Intel came back with better chip, and eventually better than AMD chip so they never had a long enough chance to become top OEM....

But as an informed customer, you can buy what is the best product/$ right now and skip the marketing hype... unfortunately that doesn't help with pre-made kits...

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    Not to get too off topic, but it seems like the majority here does prefer RS and I seem to hear it throughout MTBR's forums. The question I have then is what is RS doing wrong with its marketing b/c Fox absolutely kills RS in terms of appeal to the general riding populace. By that I mean that if you are going to sell a bike and it has Fox suspension, you'll get more calls than if it has RS. The dealers know this too--thats why so many stock bikes come with Fox.
    I'm a huge RS fan, but can't come up with any Fox cons other than I really don't like they way their forks ride.
    Fox:
    pro - willing to work with end user
    pro - smaller model line making choosing a fork easier.
    con - don't like the way the forks feel

RS:
    pro - excellent forks
    pro - easy maintenance
    con - warranty/support only through LBS
    con - makes budget forks (great for those with a budget, but may make the company look cheap)
    con - too many forks to choose from!
    RS has about 15 forks each having 4+ options. It's overwhelming IMO.
    They really just need Reba, Rev, Lyrik and Boxxer, then offer those in air or coil.

mtbr member
    I do find it odd how pro RS many rider on the forum are yet almost every manufacturer (at least the ones I am looking at) spec is with Fox.

I spoke with my LBS whose opinion I respect and he is a solid RS guy. I think that says a lot when worm one can have whatever fork they want across their multiple bikes and they pick one brand. A couple reasons he gave that are swaying me to RS.

RS 2 year warranty vs Fox 1 year
    RS keaps spare parts for about 5 years

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have always felt that the Foxes ride a bit harsher than RS. In the old days they definitely "spiked" on short sharp square edge hits, Pushing helped a lot. For me having ruined two forks due to maintenance issues, I have to say that the key factor is the ease of changing oil and re-greasing the bushes on the RS range. I can get my Lyriks to feel brand new in under 15mins. Do not underestimate this as having to send suspension units away is time off the bike and is often put off and that can be catastrophic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    that new revelation world cup carbon looks like SEX.

The new dual air travel system looks pretty good, drops it to 120mm without the annoying turns of Uturn.

It's 3.46lbs too, which is crazy light. That's lighter than my 100mm reba world cup carbon!

The one downside....always.....COST. But damn it's a sexy beast!

You could always just choose the rev 150 on your build right now, and then sell it if you needed travel adjust and that money down on the rev you wanted.
    I would go this route for sure....except doesn't this only come in a tapered steer tube [oversize lower] which would not fit the Mojo SL.Hope this is not the case.

mtbr member
    Yeah the worldcup version are not an optin for the SL. I coulsnsee this being awesome on a trail bike version of the HD140.

holding back the darkness
    Rock Shox.
    Better build quality.
    Stiffer.
    Real oil seals instead of wiper/foam ring.
    more user-serviceably friendly.
    Full travel actually happens with a rock shox instead of the 75% of full travel you get with a Fox.
    **** censorship

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Rock Shox.

Real oil seals instead of wiper/foam ring.
    Funny you mention that...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=661002
    I took my Rev dual air apart 2 days ago only to find that there are no seals, just wipers and foam rings.
    I really don't think seals are very useful on this fork though.
    Very minimal oil to keep in, and the wipers have done awesome at keeping dirt out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Rock Shox.

Full travel actually happens with a rock shox instead of the 75% of full travel you get with a Fox.
    Go ride a 2010 or newer fox fork, they are way more linear than the older fox's. Still somewhat progressive at the end of the stroke but you want a little progressiveness. I agree though the 09 and older Fox forks were terrible in that regard.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Funny you mention that...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=661002
    I took my Rev dual air apart 2 days ago only to find that there are no seals, just wipers and foam rings.
    I stand corrected. Per page 17 of the tech manual it appears that the Revelation doesn't get oil seals... I had thought that the same system used on the Pike, Lyrik, and others was used here as well.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    I am going to opt for the 150 RS Rev. Oddly enough I finally cracked my current frame (not a Mojo) so I get to speed up the process of the new build. Can't wait to post it once it is done.

Members who have read this thread: 0