mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fork for Ibis Mojo?

Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of getting a longer travel bike for quite a while. A few weeks ago, I got the chance to do a test ride on a Mojo SL and loved it. So Im going to get one

My current bike is a 2007 Cannondale Rush with Lefty fork, XTR/Bontrager drivetrain, DT Swiss Wheels, etc. about 25 lbs. The bike is quite long, 24.6 top tube, 10cm stem, 69 deg head angle and the front is rather low. Its climbs very well, descends ok, but my favorite feature of the bike is the responsiveness and agility. Anyway, I felt that I didnt lose much on the uphill with the Mojo, but downhills were more fun.

Ive done some reading in this and other forums since then and Ive made up my mind on most of the components (Chris King/ZTR Wheels, Formula The One, Reverb seat post, Pushed Monarch, etc). Im a little over 62, 80kg Im planning to go for a large frame, 80mm Stem and Edge Sweep bar (27.5). My current bar is 4 shorter, but Ill give the short stem, wide bars theory a shot. But theres one part that Im totally undecided about the fork.

The test Mojo had a Fox 36 Talas, approx. 10cm stem length, Ritchey Pro rizer bar and few cm of spacers. Only on steep descents I used the full travel setting, on my normal trails, the 130mm felt much better. And on steep climbs, the 100mm were great. To have a little more reserves going downhill, I was thinking about a 150mm fork with travel adjust my favorite was the Revelation Dual Position Air with 20mm axle.
    But Im confused now because last weekend, i've made another test ride with a bike with a longer head tube and a slacker head angle (68 deg) with a 140mm Talas QR15 (BMC trailfox, quite popular here in Switzerland), Stem/Bar were similar to the Mojo. And this bike felt sluggish compared to my Rush, I didnt like it at all...

So i have a couple of questions now:

The a2c of the Revelation is 2cm higher than for the Fox 140, could someone tell me how this affects the head angle and the agility of the bike?
    Is there a fork out there that can give me similar steering precision to the Lefty?
    Or is it more a matter of the stem/bar combo?

Since we have quite long climbs here, I would like to get a fork with adjustable travel. Except the 2011 Talas and the Revelation, I was also looking at the 140mm Magura Thor... but any suggestion is of course welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Kai

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can't answer to your exact situation. However, I have the 150 Fox talas and much prefer the slightly slacker feel it gives over the 140. The bike is still very agile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    36 Talas is a lot different. I can't answer your specific questions, but you might want to be careful of what you're comparing here.

The 36 Talas you tested has a significantly higher A2C than the 32s (more than the difference in travel). From talking to a Mojo owner who has ridden both (I recently bought his bike) this puts the head angle arounf 67.5-68 degrees. This is far from "stock" 69 deg, though Ibis does offer it as a factory option.

My point is, any of the forks you mentioned with be lower and steeper than the Mojo you rode with the 36.

Another option I've seen is to put a Lefty on it. There are a few floating around on this forum.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I went from a Talas 140-120-100 to the Float 150 and am happy I did. So if you want the Talas, get one with 150. I think Ibis offers a 150-130 as an option. Just an FYI, I rode the Talas for three years and would change the travel often. Then one day I was in a race and left the fork in the 140 setting. I rode that for about a year and did'nt change the travel. When it was time for a new fork I went with the much better Float (imo). Hope this helps
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Simple: put a Lefty on it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kai-swiss
    .... I was thinking about a 150mm fork with travel adjust my favorite was the Revelation Dual Position Air with 20mm axle.
    +1 on that. I have the 2010 150 Rev u-turn 20mm axle (second rev over the years) and really like it. The only thing I would change woudl to be have a quick 1-2 click drop like the Talas, rather than a bunch of turns, and it sounds like the 2011 does that...

If you're 6'2" you may want to get an XL instead (what I ride and I'm 6'3"). 90 stem doesnt sound short... I would get an XL and get a 50mm stem,a nd wide bars work great for the downhill (I have 720mm, could use wider).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm a little over 6'2" as well and ride a XL with a 70mm stem, which feels alittle tight. I currently running a Pushed 140mm U turn Pike(I always leave it at 140) and have also run a Z1 Light(150mm). The Z1 A/C is about an inch longer than the Pike and slows the handling a bit/helps lift up the BB for better clearance. If you ride alot techy,rocky stuff consider that a longer A/C would more favorable for that type of riding with the Mojo.
    Last edited by Bigrocks; 09-25-2010 at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks a lot for all the comments... i'll try the revelation... and if i'm not happy with it, i'll go back to the lefty although the aftermarket price for the carbon lefty is

About the frame size - i've only ridden a large mojo with a setback seatpost and felt really comfortable on the bike, both up and downhill. The competitive cyclist fit calculator suggests a large frame with an 70-80mm stem for their all mountain fit. Wrenchscience tells me that i've a reach of 68cm, so i could probably ride both...

@bigrocks and adumesny: did you have a chance to ride both large and XL frames? If so, how do they compare? Ibis is not very well-known here, I'm not sure if i'll be able to get a XL for a demo... thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I did not ride a Mojo before my purchase. I read on this fourm that they ran small and compared the numbers to my other frames. The XL fits me good. My Turner RFX is a large with a 70mm stemand feels and fits bigger than the Mojo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I contacted the local distributor to ask for a XL demo, but they haven't even sold any XL frames since 2008, so no demo bike On the phone, they suggested me to take an XL with a 70mm stem... so i'm leaning towards XL now... any other opinions on this?

aka dan51
    I say go with an XL as well. I'm 6'1" and ride and XL with low a 70mm stem and 710mm wide bars. Fits perfect and handles great.

The Revelation fork is great, but there were some issues with the U-turn model in previous releases.
    See this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=566928

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @bigrocks and adumesny: did you have a chance to ride both large and XL frames? If so, how do they compare? Ibis is not very well-known here, I'm not sure if i'll be able to get a XL for a demo... thanks for your advice!
    I never rode a Mojo before I got mine (used) - I read the raving reviews and was already sold on DW link suspension having an IronHorse MKIII for a year and half (great bike as well, but Mojo in a different league). I also read they were sizing small so an XL was a no brainer for me being 6'3"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    6'1" with an XL and 65mm stem

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok, I'm convinced - XL. About the revelation - i've read about the problems with the U-turn, but i hope the dual position air won't have such issues... at least i haven't heard any complaints about the 2011 forks failing on the first ride...

mtbr member
    +1 on the XL (I'm 5'11" and the L is a perfect fit for me)
    +1 on RS Revelation... my '09 is excellent, and while it's only 140mm, I've got a 650b front wheel that slacks and jacks the front end like a 150mm fork would, and I like it better than the shorter, steeper stock setup.... more predictable and stable cornering and downhilling, while still turning it, leaning, and carving really well.... better IMO than before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I must be weirdly proportioned, I am just on 6" and I test rode a large and it felt huge and awkward, where as the medium felt perfect. Placing my order next week.

I have bought a 09' Thor for my Mojo build, a great stiff fork, from what I have read it can be a bit fiddly to set up. The '11 Thor has all new internals and supposed to be better again.

Depending on budget you could also look at DT Swiss, which are supposed to be a great fork as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I went from a 06 prophet with 140 lefty to a SL with TALAS 32 100-120-140. I find the precision and overall handling on the SL-TALAS better and for DH more confidence inspiring despite the steeper angles. I think maybe the through axles have minimised the advantages of a lefty, plus the click adjustable height turns a relaxed angle into a climbing@100 and single track@120 supermachine.

5'10'' Medium frame is perfect

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Once more, thanks for all the advice!!! I’ve made my decision – XL frame, 70mm Stem. I did another ride on a large Mojo with a 10cm stem, felt good for me, but I’d feel cramped with a 30mm shorter stem. So it’s going to be a XL. Since I got so much valuable input on my first question, I’d like to hear your opinion on the build I have in mind!
    Fork – Revelation Dual Position RLT Ti 20mm axle (the Thor is no. 2 on my list, in case I don’t like the Rev, I’ll replace it with the Magura)
    Wheels – Dave’s Speeddream Chris King/ZTR Crest 10mm Hadley bolt rear/20mm front
    Headset – Cane Creek 110
    Stem – Thomson X4 70mm
    Bar – Edge Sweep 700mm
    Brakes – Formula The One 180/180
    Post – Rockshox Reverb
    Drivetrain – 9speed XTR/Bontrager XXX Crankset – from my old bike
    Tires – Conti TrailKing 2.2 front/XKing or RaceKing 2.2 rear
    Has anyone tried the new XTR trail pedals? I still ride a pair of 7 year old 540 shimano pedals, but I’m thinking about getting a pair of XTRs – either the race or the trail version…

mtbr member
    Once more, thanks for all the advice!!! Ive made my decision XL frame, 70mm Stem. I did another ride on a large Mojo with a 10cm stem, felt good for me, but Id feel cramped with a 30mm shorter stem. So its going to be a XL. Since I got so much valuable input on my first question, Id like to hear your opinion on the build I have in mind!
    Fork Revelation Dual Position RLT Ti 20mm axle (the Thor is no. 2 on my list, in case I dont like the Rev, Ill replace it with the Magura)
    Wheels Daves Speeddream Chris King/ZTR Crest 10mm Hadley bolt rear/20mm front
    Headset Cane Creek 110
    Stem Thomson X4 70mm
    Bar Edge Sweep 700mm
    Brakes Formula The One 180/180
    Post Rockshox Reverb
    Drivetrain 9speed XTR/Bontrager XXX Crankset from my old bike
    Tires Conti TrailKing 2.2 front/XKing or RaceKing 2.2 rear
    Has anyone tried the new XTR trail pedals? I still ride a pair of 7 year old 540 shimano pedals, but Im thinking about getting a pair of XTRs either the race or the trail version
    Sounds like a great setup. I've been really happy with my '09 Revelation... the new ones are nice, and quite a bit lighter, but don't have the arch clearance for meaty 650b tires so it's off my radar... If I wasn't loving the 650b so much it would be top of my wish list. I think paying for the "ti" version with Black Box damping is money well spent if you're sensitive to suspension performance and settings.
    The wheels sound sweet...heard great things about Dave, but I build my own so never patronized him. Will be a light setup, very racy... might consider Flows if you log lots of km, want to run real fat tires at some point, and/or tend to thrash wheels, but if not, that will be a sweet high performance setup. One fellow with an SL on the forum ( I forget his name) has lots of big air pictures on his DT240 / ZTR355 wheels built by Dave with very light gauge spokes... he was stoked on them.
    I really love Hadley quality and versatility...excellent hubs... however on their new front hub, if you are in a situation where you'll need to remove your front wheel a lot it can be a bit of a pain because the axle ends are not captive. Takes some dexterity and practice to get the front wheel in and out in a hurry without dropping the ends (which also include the lip seal to keep gunk away from the internals) in the dirt. Hold up, just reread your post....King hubs w/ Hadley Axle.... yep, that'll be nice. Anyway, if you can live with the front hub quirk, Hadley's are a nice alternative to King...similar quality of workmanship and freehub engagement, lower price, lower seal friction makes them roll a bit faster, but at the cost of not being quite as well sealed.
    Gonna be SWEEET.... post some pics when you get it rolling.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to try one of the Reverb posts too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sweet build...except for the seatpost only because it is a new, untested product. Good to see your going with the bolt on rear.
    I run 2007 XTR pedals on my Mojo,so far they have held together. I was unsure about their durablity at first mainly because I go through pedals quickly.

Post up some picks when you get it built!

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny
    I must be weirdly proportioned, I am just on 6" and I test rode a large and it felt huge and awkward, where as the medium felt perfect. Placing my order next week.

I have bought a 09' Thor for my Mojo build, a great stiff fork, from what I have read it can be a bit fiddly to set up. The '11 Thor has all new internals and supposed to be better again.

Depending on budget you could also look at DT Swiss, which are supposed to be a great fork as well.
    I have ridden a Thor on my Mojo almost exclusively this season. (half a dozen rides on a 2011 36 talas (160/120) RLC). It is a great fork so smooth and stiff. Getting your perfect PSI is so important. It has a narrow zone between diving and to rigid. In the zone nothing has equaled the smoothness but maybe a Fox Van. Though the Van is not as stiff or tracks as well. The Thor is a keeper. I have a 09 as well.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

Clyde
    Great advice in the comments above which makes me think of something else you might consider. Slack the mojo with a 140 Thor and a 650b flow upfront (which is in the 2011 stan's catg). This would slack the mojo from 69 to around 68 degrees. if you wanted to get back to 69 degrees drop the thor to 120mm on the fly. The thor goes to 100mm which is to low in my opinion for the mojo with a 26 inch rim up front. (it feels like i'm drive the bike into the ground.) The other thing that is great about the thor is it gets full travel.

PS: You my want to take my advise as a grain of salt because I'm one of those guys running a coil on my mojo as well.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

Members who have read this thread: 0