Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-rock.jpg

I figure this must be a common Ibis issue with their current linkage design. This is on a Ripmo AF with Assegai's which throw rocks constantly. Rocks get into this spot and get pinched by the linkage. I ride in the Sierra's so there's rocks everywhere. Does anyone have a fix for this? I was thinking of using some frame tape to just bridge across the area. I've heard of using a piece of foam but I think foam would just trap dirt and then constantly rub the dirt against the frame, causing damage as well.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Coffee Drinker
    How about tape then foam? BTW, I purchased a long 'stick' of gutter foam at my local hardware store for about $5.

EDIT, it's $7 now. https://www.lowes.com/pd/GutterStuff...ard/1000202193

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    My new Ripley has a glued on flap that helps divert some of it, but I plan to tape the surfaces with Racers tape and then use some foam to fill the gap. Did just the foam on my Son's Ripley and it works perfectly.

Both bikes are already scratched up in there, wish I would have done it day one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tape then foam... good idea. That should do it.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I made I flap to cover link out of inner tube. zip ties it on tight above link. works great

mtbr member

Quick easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	1285001

I figure this must be a common Ibis issue with their current linkage design. This is on a Ripmo AF with Assegai's which throw rocks constantly. Rocks get into this spot and get pinched by the linkage. I ride in the Sierra's so there's rocks everywhere. Does anyone have a fix for this? I was thinking of using some frame tape to just bridge across the area. I've heard of using a piece of foam but I think foam would just trap dirt and then constantly rub the dirt against the frame, causing damage as well.
    I solved this problem on the Ripley 4 w/ pipe insulation foam. Once it is in place it never slips out. No Tape! No glue! I have 2.5 months of riding with it in place.

Easy cheap fix!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-wedge.jpg  

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-lower.jpg  

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-upper.jpg  

mtbr member

Another easier way to protect linkages

Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    How about tape then foam? BTW, I purchased a long 'stick' of gutter foam at my local hardware store for about $5.

EDIT, it's $7 now. https://www.lowes.com/pd/GutterStuff...ard/1000202193
    Here is a more tried and true way to fix this issue using pipe insulation.
    Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-black-m-d-building-products-foam-tapes-50150-64_1000.jpg

See fix in action in previous post...

Ride On!
    Good idea to put some protection on the seat tube, used helicopter tape on mine. I pinged Ibis and they sent me a flap/guard that works like a champ on my Ripmo, assuming the same one will work with the Ripley. Ping them about it and they will send you one. Curious that they have not made them available on their store yet

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Good idea to put some protection on the seat tube, used helicopter tape on mine. I pinged Ibis and they sent me a flap/guard that works like a champ on my Ripmo, assuming the same one will work with the Ripley. Ping them about it and they will send you one. Curious that they have not made them available on their store yet
    Could you post a picture so we could see? Thanks!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Reach out to Ibis. They have a piece of foam that they are getting custom cut to fit in there. They sent me one a few months back and it's been working great. I also put some helicopter tape on the surfaces before putting the foam in as an added layer of protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Could you post a picture so we could see? Thanks!
    Pics of the rock flap on my ripley4. Apologies for the poor angle with these quick shots.

Also, on p55 of the most recent ibis owners manual there is an image of the rock flap on the exploded view of the ripley & hardware

I had asked ibis about the custom cut motofoam pieces that others had mentioend & the ibis rep said they were now sending out the rock flap instead of the foam.

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    I pinged Ibis and they sent me a flap/guard that works like a champ on my Ripmo, assuming the same one will work with the Ripley.
    Just curious, did you call or email ibis support? I emailed them this morning asking, even mentioned the flap/guard and the response was that that they don't make something that will work on my bike (ripmo af). And that was the end of it, no option of foam or flap. Maybe they're not offering it anymore?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbp View Post
    Just curious, did you call or email ibis support?
    I emailed:

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-chuck.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbp View Post
    Just curious, did you call or email ibis support? I emailed them this morning asking, even mentioned the flap/guard and the response was that that they don't make something that will work on my bike (ripmo af). And that was the end of it, no option of foam or flap. Maybe they're not offering it anymore?
    I wonder if it is because your bike is an AF. Maybe they only provide it for the carbon bikes. Just like the downtube protector is only on the carbon Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
    I wonder if it is because your bike is an AF. Maybe they only provide it for the carbon bikes. Just like the downtube protector is only on the carbon Ripmo.
    That's a great point, I think you're probably right.

I have the same chip that sfr4dr has but on the right-side of the linkage mount, with aluminum I'm guessing there's really no worry of structural problems for those kind of dings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, no structural worry yet on mine but crunching rocks in there over and over isn't good for anything including the stress transferred to the bearings. A small plastic fender hanging off the seat tube and not touching any moving parts would be best. Like one mentioned, a piece of foam will trap sand particles and rub the alloy down over time. Protective tape under the foam would work though. The new Santa Cruz bikes have a little flap over the bottom of the shock. I might make something like that or the one above on the Ripley and adhere it with 3m double sided tape. It sure would be easier if it already came with it though!
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    crunching rocks in there over and over isn't good for anything including the stress transferred to the bearings.
    Totally agree! It's a pain to have to solve for this, esp. when the og ripmo has had a similar issue, ibis is hopefully working on a guard or something.

Decided to clean the linkage up and have a better look and a decent part of the bottom edge of the linkage mount has been chewed up. I've had the bike for about a month, glad I saw this was an issue on here, or it'd be awhile before I noticed.

I'm trying a fender and see if that helps, might tape up the linkage too like other people have done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-linkage.jpg  

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-guard.jpg  

mtbr member
    They have only been making bikes for 38 years......Just give them a little time to figure things out.
    I am sure they are working on it!!
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That fender does look like it will take care of most of the issue.
    I was thinking about something like this.Name:  linkage.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  53.6 KB
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    I have 175 miles on my Ripmo and while have no issues in the linkage I have noticed many scratches in the chain stay loop at the bottom of the rear triangle. I am getting rocks caught in the 2.6 nobby nic and dragged into the frame there. Many small scratches. Over time this will cause wear so I added some protection tape there. You don't notice it unless you pull the rear wheel.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I know that similar pictures were posted above but here are a couple more from a little bit back to see it on the bike. The first pic shows the plastic piece that Ibis is using for the lower part. For the upper link, they simply put a piece of tape. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-img_5868.jpg  

Fix for rocks in Ibis linkage?-img_5869.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That fender does look like it will take care of most of the issue.
    I was thinking about something like this.Name:  linkage.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  53.6 KB
    The New HD5 appears to have the exact same fender on the lower link that Santa Cruz is using there. I wonder if it is going to make it on to other Ibis models? It appears to be screw-in though, so I'm not sure if that means they would need new carbon frame molds or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swade View Post
    The New HD5 appears to have the exact same fender on the lower link that Santa Cruz is using there. I wonder if it is going to make it on to other Ibis models? It appears to be screw-in though, so I'm not sure if that means they would need new carbon frame molds or not.
    Some 2 sided 3m tape like gopro uses would work. That stuff is super strong.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm aware Ibis is sold out of the lower link guard. I was thinking of using a piece of tube and double sided tape. I think that will be just as good.