Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100

    Finally might be able to afford a Mojo!

    I went to the LBS today and they had a Mojo Demo bike in silver with the SLX kit and the Lopes Link. I'm not sure on the model year but I am positive the revelation had the 2010 graphics. The bike looked pretty pristine and rode well. They didn't give me a firm offer but they said they could probably give me %20 off ($2400). Fair deal?

    My budget is firm at 3k so buying the demo will give me some breathing room for a couple upgrades. I'd like to get the 150mm U-Turn version of the Revelation as I like the idea of a bit more squish up front and climbing ability (plus I really don't like the silver/white combo of the current fork.)
    How much does the extra 10mm change the handling?

    Anyway, is it worth the $600 discount?

  2. #2
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,519
    Deals are not that frequent. The added bonus of buying local and seeing/trying first is ideal. It's in your budget - so I'd say do it before someone else does! Oh, and the 10mm of extra travel will be a non-issue with handling.

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

  3. #3
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904
    I went to the LBS today and they had a Mojo Demo bike in silver with the SLX kit and the Lopes Link. I'm not sure on the model year but I am positive the revelation had the 2010 graphics. The bike looked pretty pristine and rode well. They didn't give me a firm offer but they said they could probably give me %20 off ($2400). Fair deal?

    My budget is firm at 3k so buying the demo will give me some breathing room for a couple upgrades. I'd like to get the 150mm U-Turn version of the Revelation as I like the idea of a bit more squish up front and climbing ability (plus I really don't like the silver/white combo of the current fork.)
    How much does the extra 10mm change the handling?

    Anyway, is it worth the $600 discount?
    Do it!
    I think the white/silver would be an awesome combo.
    I'd buy it as-is, ride the heck out of it and then make changes. The adjustable travel may not be something you'll ever need.

    BTW, is it a small or XL? And where is this LBS...?

  4. #4
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    That is what beatup downieville demo's are going for, I wouldn't say that is the greatest deal, but it isn't bad. With the yuba demos, there were/are color choices, and not just the demo color. I'd push for a better deal, but that's just me.

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Buy it. You'll never regret it. It'll rock at 140 & 150.

  6. #6
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,645
    So the fork thats on the bike is a 2010 Revelation 140? If it's a Dual-air can't you just pull a spacer out of the air-spring and make it 150? Does it have the Maxle? That'd be worth an upgrade if it doesn't. If I had $600 to work with, I'd spend $450 on nice, tubeless wheels and $150 on some premium tires.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  7. #7
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    +1 Get it, It the last bike you ever buy......

    This year

  8. #8
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    ....and $150 on some premium tires.
    What tires go that high?!?

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fastmq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    79
    shwalbe's if you get 2

  10. #10
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmq
    shwalbe's if you get 2
    You mean the Cheap(er) Schwalbe Top of the line is almost $90 a pop not including shipping and applicable tax

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    59
    Depending on the terrain you ride, i'd consider an adjustable seatpost... I had a chance to demo a rockshox reverb recently and it made a huge difference on the trail.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Do it!
    I think the white/silver would be an awesome combo.
    I'd buy it as-is, ride the heck out of it and then make changes. The adjustable travel may not be something you'll ever need.
    I totally agree. I just got a Mojo with X9. I've ridden it 7 times so far and I love the bike as is. I thought I'd want a longer stem, but I'm not touching it. I'm sure I will upgrade, but the upgrades will probably come slower than I expected and will probably not be the same as I expected that they would be before I got the bike. I have a 140 Fox Float and I have no desire to ride a 150 because for me, the 140 has a great compromise of great climbing and descending characteristics.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    So the fork thats on the bike is a 2010 Revelation 140? If it's a Dual-air can't you just pull a spacer out of the air-spring and make it 150?
    That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. Maybe somebody else can chime in. Is a Revelation 140 really a 150 spaced down 10mm? or is it a different fork that's already maxed at 140.
    If it's not Maxle, it would be a worthy upgrade trading up to a Maxle equipped fork.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    That is what beatup downieville demo's are going for, I wouldn't say that is the greatest deal, but it isn't bad. With the yuba demos, there were/are color choices, and not just the demo color. I'd push for a better deal, but that's just me.

    Good luck!
    It seems like a pretty decent deal to considering the state it appears to be in. Were it a normal used bike I wouldn't go near that figure, but in this case I know the shop and I'm friendly with the guys that work there.

    Also, I know the terrain this thing has been ridden on and the type of riders who frequent that shop so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been abused. I'll see what I can get in terms of a better deal, but I'd be comfortable with the $2400 I think.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmq
    shwalbe's if you get 2
    Speaking of Schwalbe's I have a pair of Nobby Nic 2.4's on my bike now that I'd like to swap over from my stumpumper. They fit the stumpy with some occasional chain rub in the middle ring. Will they fit the mojo?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    That is what beatup downieville demo's are going for, I wouldn't say that is the greatest deal, but it isn't bad. With the yuba demos, there were/are color choices, and not just the demo color. I'd push for a better deal, but that's just me.

    Good luck!
    That's the kind of info I was looking for! Fortunately for me, the terrain here (I'm afraid to say where here is on this forum!) is no where near that abusive. The bike looks and feels like it's in fantastic shape. I think I'm convinced

  17. #17
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904
    Speaking of Schwalbe's I have a pair of Nobby Nic 2.4's on my bike now that I'd like to swap over from my stumpumper. They fit the stumpy with some occasional chain rub in the middle ring. Will they fit the mojo?
    Yeap, No problem, the Mojo tightly fit 2.35 NeoMoto and that's 650b

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. Maybe somebody else can chime in. Is a Revelation 140 really a 150 spaced down 10mm? or is it a different fork that's already maxed at 140.
    If it's not Maxle, it would be a worthy upgrade trading up to a Maxle equipped fork.
    It's got the Maxle whether it's 15 or 20mm I'm not sure. I can't imagine rockshox would manufacture two different sets of stantions for a 10mm difference but who knows. Assuming all goes well in the test ride and I buy it, I'll ride it around for a while before I make any changes.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gruppe_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    88
    Buy it. I'm still super stoked on the silver demo I picked up last November.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=silver+mojo
    Not the lightest Mojo out there at 27.8 lbs, but...

  20. #20
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,645
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    What tires go that high?!?
    Quite a few these days at retail, Continental Trail King USTs, some Maxxis Minion's, and of course Schwalbes. Crazy, I know.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Alright I'm sold! I didn't know that silver was just a demo color. Kinda nice to have something a bit more unique!

    Barring a catastrophic failure on the test ride next week, I think I've found my new steed! I'll ride it as-is for a while but I think I'd like to get a shorter stem and a wider bar. The one on there seems awfully narrow for this type of bike.

    I suppose I'll take whatever I get for the stumpy and put it towards a couple tweaks. She's been a fantastic bike but it's time to move on.

    Can't wait 'til Monday!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    50
    Just to give you an idea of price range, last month I picked up a very lightly used 2010 mojo sl matte clear, talas 32 fit, float rpl, elixir r, race face atlas blue ano cranks, slx shifters/deraileurs, truvativ stylo bars, cane creek headset, kenda nevegal 2.10 rear, kitetics stick-e 2.35 front, lopes, wtb rocket v... Bike was built by bike co. in lake forest, original owner had it for 4 months and it looked as brand new as a used bike could be. He was asking 3k and I offered 2500. He kept his pedals and adjustable seat post and agreed to the 2500. I haven't done a thing to it except dial in the suspension. I have about 80 miles on it so far and the thing gets better each time I take it out. It's ****ing phenomenal. I can't recommend it enough.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Yeah after looking around a bit more, I think I'll offer them 2200 and see what they say.

  24. #24
    Fence guru
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    740
    got my wife's for 2200 in nc

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.