Experience with S35 wheels/rims?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Experience with S35 wheels/rims?

My Ripley should be arriving any day now (Iíve been saying that for weeks), and Iíve been thinking about the stock wheels and tires. The stock S35 rims (35mm internal width) seem really wide for an xc/trail wheelset. Most tires in the 2.3-2.6 range seem to call for up to a 30mm inner width rim.

What have your experiences been like with the S35 wheels, and what tires are you running?

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.3 butcher / 2.3 ground control on the s35's and they're awesome. I'll toss on 2.5/2.6's as needed on longer trips, depending on terrain.

They're fantastic.

Ride On!
    Been running them on my Ripmo now for 7 months/1000+ mi. I have no complaints about the rims, they mount tires easily, held up well to abuse and the Ibis branded hubs have performed and held up well. One thing I would like to see is some more points of engagement on the Ibis branded hubs, missing the I'9's on the tech climbs.

Currently, I am running a Hans Dampf on the front and Nobby Nic on the rear, both 2.6's. Happy with the setup for most of the trails I have been on. I did ride the rocky gnar up in Bidwell Park and had the front outfitted with an Assegai, which provided outstanding grip and durability. Surprisingly, the Schwalbe's have held up well without a single flat. In the past, I have not had such good luck with them, guess it's the new compounds.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Only run 2.4-2.5 tires, so canít offer input outside that. I can say, from a price to weight to strength to build quality perspective , the S35s are easily the best OE wheels Iíve run.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Only run 2.4-2.5 tires, so canít offer input outside that. I can say, from a price to weight to strength to build quality perspective , the S35s are easily the best OE wheels Iíve run.
    Are you running the Aluminum of Carbon version? I'm thinking about building up an aluminum set w King hubs but I'm not sure about the weight.

mtbr member
    S35 Aluminium with Ibis hubs, XD Driver Taped with Valves as measured on my scale at home

Rear 1063 grams
    Front 931 grams
    Combined 1994 grams

I swapped these for some carbon Nox Kitsuma's laced to I9 Torch hubs. The bike feels a bit more planted with the carbon wheels. Saved 93 grams so not much weight, gained lateral stiffness and high engagement hubs. I still have S35 as spares. Those are a solid wheelset.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Really torn wether or not to upgrade from the S35 to carbon on an AF. Something tells me I wouldn't really notice the difference.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Really torn wether or not to upgrade from the S35 to carbon on an AF. Something tells me I wouldn't really notice the difference.
    Carbon's nice but the real nice upgrade imo are high end hubs.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Are you running the Aluminum of Carbon version? I'm thinking about building up an aluminum set w King hubs but I'm not sure about the weight.
    Aluminum. I donít personally run carbon rims anymore.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    I have a set and am running Rekon 2.6s on them, they work great for me.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk