Experience with Fox X2 high speed rebound damping settings on an Ibis HD4?- Mtbr.com
    Dream it, Do it.

Experience with Fox X2 high speed rebound damping settings on an Ibis HD4?

For those of you riding a Fox X2 shock on an Ibis HD4, what are your high speed rebound damping setting relative to Ibis' recommended range?

I'm finding that running the X2 high speed rebound damping at the bottom end of Fox' suggested range (about 2-4 clicks slower than Ibis' recommended range) seems to provide a better balance of liveliness and stability on higher speed descents than the lower amount of high speed rebound damping that Ibis suggests.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Was just messing around with mine today on a jump loop. I'm pretty close to ibis settings. Maybe one less HSC and one more HSR? Nothing significant. I'm running around 240 with one spacer.

How many spacer are you running? more progressive you make it, the more rebound you may need as it needs to control the ramp up too.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Was just messing around with mine today on a jump loop. I'm pretty close to ibis settings. Maybe one less HSC and one more HSR? Nothing significant. I'm running around 240 with one spacer.

How many spacer are you running? more progressive you make it, the more rebound you may need as it needs to control the ramp up too.
    190 psi with no spacers so far. Other than a little more HSR, Ibis' settings seem right on the mark.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Probably everyone is running theirs differently. I had the '18 shock and ran HSR fully closed (how vorsprung recommend) with very open LSR. Tried lots of different settings but kept coming back to that setup.

I now have a Ripmo with the '19 shock and I run the rebound dials in the middle, didn't like the closed HSR on this bike and shock combo

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Probably everyone is running theirs differently. I had the '18 shock and ran HSR fully closed (how vorsprung recommend) with very open LSR. Tried lots of different settings but kept coming back to that setup.

I now have a Ripmo with the '19 shock and I run the rebound dials in the middle, didn't like the closed HSR on this bike and shock combo
    Interesting. When you say HSR fully closed do you mean maximum HSR damping? How did it ride with the HSR circuit fully closed vs open even just a bit? I imagine the bike would be very predictable on big hits, but might pack up over repeated big hits.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Interesting. When you say HSR fully closed do you mean maximum HSR damping? How did it ride with the HSR circuit fully closed vs open even just a bit? I imagine the bike would be very predictable on big hits, but might pack up over repeated big hits.
    Yes maximum HSR. There's a vorsprung video where they dyno an X2 and in short, the HSR doesn't do what you think it does.

I didn't have any issues with pack because the overall rebound was still very fast. With the HSR fully closed the bike just seemed more consistent and more quiet than when I opened it up and ran more regular LSR

mtbr member
    I did the same to the 36 Grip2 and X2 on my Capra: HSR fully closed, LSR almost open.

Magic carpet ride feel achieved.
    And still, it is super composed after big hits and doesn't kick you off the pedals. Love it!

The quick LSR allows the fork and shock to recover very quickly on chatter,
    while the slow HSR will keep the bike from kicking after big hits. No pack up.

Dream it, Do it.
    Makes sense. I'll have to try that combination of HSR and LSR settings.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Interesting, may give this a try too. Seems kinda the opposite of the "traction tune" Ibis has developed, which I gather to be very little HSR/HSC but some LSR/LSC to keep the bike composed.