Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

dumb bashguard question

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  d3toid 
#1 ·
The only time I use my big chainring is to take up the slack on the chain when I'm going over bumpy stuff so that the bike is quieter.

If I go to a 2x9 with a shorter chain, will the result be the same? Can I then switch to a medium cage rear derailleur?

Do I need a chain guide if I've been fine without one so far?

I never bash the chainring now, so I assume I don't really need a bashguard, unless it serves a purpose other than protecting the chainring (like protecting my leg from the ring). Right?

Do I have to get a different front shifter so that it doesn't try to go to the missing big ring?

Thanks for helping with the newbie questions :)

#2 ·
GuruAtma said:
The only time I use my big chainring is to take up the slack on the chain when I'm going over bumpy stuff so that the bike is quieter.

If I go to a 2x9 with a shorter chain, will the result be the same? Can I then switch to a medium cage rear derailleur?

If you ride in rough areas with lots of rock gardens they do help. I run 2x9 but don't have a chain guide. If I throw the chain of the bigger ring I just select the granny ring and pedal and when the chain comes back I select my 34(big ring).

GuruAtma said:
I never bash the chainring now, so I assume I don't really need a bashguard, unless it serves a purpose other than protecting the chainring (like protecting my leg from the ring). Right?

Do I have to get a different front shifter so that it doesn't try to go to the missing big ring?

Thanks for helping with the newbie questions :)
You don't need a new shifter you just need to wind the H screw on the front derailleur in to stop it from moving to the big ring position. Oh and yes you will be able to use a medium cage derailleur.

I use a short cage derailleur but I run road bike cassettes, 11-25 dura-ace for racing and 11-27/28 for just riding or enduro events with lots o hills.

I did manage to bend my front ring and slightly bend the chain the other day when my shock lost some air and lowered my BB height. So at the moment I'm only running 22/32 as I had one lying around.

#4 ·
Nasty

That thread isn't safe while eating. A friend of mine did a similar thing during a 24 hour race. A gumby in front of him slammed the brakes during a rocky descent and he had to drop is bike to avoid him. He said that when he had come to a stop the big ring was still stuck in his shin bone. When he pushed the big ring/bike away from his shin he saw three spurts of blood where the teeth had dug in. This was his first lap and he had to go to hospital for cleaning and stiches. He came back to the race later not to ride just to support the rest of the team. He was so zombified from the pain killers that he just sat in a chair all night and said yes to anything that anybody asked him. The next year his team was called "Beware The Sprocket".

#6 ·
I have been thinking about getting rid of my rarely used big ring for years, but just did it last week. Bought a BBG for $12 plus 6 shipping. Can't beat it.

I ended up taking 6 links off my chain, and maybe could have taken a couple more.
Yeah its tighter, and yeah you could go to a smaller cage, but I haven't. I think actually, that a long cage keeps the chain tighter because the cage stays more in the forward position with the spring more taught(?)

No

Well, even if you don't bash stuff now, the bashguard gives you more clearance, so you might find yourself more willing to try clearing stuff you haven't in the past. I like the thought of the bashguard sliding over an obstacle instead of the big ring teeth digging in to it.
And yeah it protects your leg from chainring teeth. The other reason you need one is just to take up the space where the big ring used to be. The big and middle are held on with the same bolts.

Like D3toid said, just crank down on the high limit screw and your deraileur will be set for a 2 ring set up. That really was a benefit for me, and made shifting to my 32 a lot simpler with my gripshifter (because the shifter doesn't have a hard stop for the middle gear, so now it does by just jamming it all the way over).

#9 ·
I agree with all that's been said so far. Only thing I can add is I've been running 2 rings and bashguard and shorter chain for 3 years now and it's a great upgrade...less chain slap, less chainsuck, crisper shifting and I'm still amazed at the size of logs i can get over now. 34 ring is better than 32 for this setup, but 32 is fine til you need to renew drivetrain. Med cage would be nice, but I'm running long and if it ain't broke dont fix it...

#10 ·
smilinsteve said:
How does it effect chain suck?
it allows you to run a much shorter chain. I always got chain suck going into the granny ring, when the chain was slacked. Yes, you can avoid chain suck with everything dialed in just right and your drive train clean and lubed but that isn't always the case.

Since getting rid of the big ring and shorting the chain (& med cage), I've never had chain suck (3+ yrs).

Plus the med cage doesn't hang as low and is protected a bit more.

#11 ·
I made this switch earlier this season and am not missing the big ring at all. I found the bb height on the mojo to be pretty low, and not having a big ring increases clearance to where my last bike was, much better for the technical riding I enjoy.

The only thing I can't get to work well (and I haven't really spent all that much time trying) is that I really cannot get my X9 front derailleur to cover all the gears with a 2x9 setup, I have about 7 available without rubbing in the granny, but only about 4 or 5 available in the middle...I think I need to try another derailleur...any experience with this people?

#12 ·
Coloradoxj13 said:
The only thing I can't get to work well (and I haven't really spent all that much time trying) is that I really cannot get my X9 front derailleur to cover all the gears with a 2x9 setup, I have about 7 available without rubbing in the granny, but only about 4 or 5 available in the middle...I think I need to try another derailleur...any experience with this people?
I don't see how that could be possible. The front deraileur is designed to handle the whole range with 3 rings, and should be easier with 2. It sounds like something isn't set up right.

#13 ·
smilinsteve said:
I don't see how that could be possible. The front deraileur is designed to handle the whole range with 3 rings, and should be easier with 2. It sounds like something isn't set up right.
Which is why I find it odd....I've been wrenching on my own bikes for the better part of 20 years and it doesn't rub in the stand, only on the trail.

#14 ·
If it only rubs under tension while riding you should check your rear wheel bearings and that cassette body has no play. Then make sure all the suspension pivot bolts are at the correct torque settings. While you are checking the suspension make sure the lower pivot insert in the front triangle has not come away from the CF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.