mtbr member
    Jul 2009

does anyone own both a mojo and a blur xc carbon?

I am riding both of these now but I cannot keep both bikes. Does anyone else have both that can write up a comparison?

I love the plush longer travel of the Mojo, but I also love the light weight of the Blur xc.2.

What are others experience?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the mojo would be more comparable to the Lt

bike rider
    Isn't the Mojo SL frame only a 10th of a pound heavier than the Blur XC? You're feeling the weight difference of the builds.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I don't think weight is the main issue here, as the frames are not significantly different weights. The Blur XC is more of a race bike, better for pure XC trails without many jumps, drops, logs, or significantly technical terrain. The Mojo with its greater travel (140mm vs. 105mm) is more flexible, as it can be built up to be a solid all mountain machine or a contending XC racer.

If you mostly race XC or mostly ride fairly tame XC trails fast, the Blur XC is nice. But if you're like me, riding a few XC races, but mostly just hitting the trails, including plenty of technical terrain, the Mojo is a better call IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think the mojo is going to be a more versatile bike than a Blur XC across a wider variety of trails. If all I did was XC race I'd go w/ the Blur XC, but the mojo will have a huge advantage whenever you come across anything techy. The mojo is also a proven design. Not many bugs; you don't see a lot of complaints around here!

mtbr member
    get the blur ltc

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    The Blur XC is better for pure XC trails.
    Better how? I'm not arguing, just curious for your opinion. Frame weight difference is negligible and I don't think anyone would argue that the Blur XC pedals better than the Mojo does when run with only 20% sag and ProPedal. Ignoring builds and only looking at frames I don't see how anything else makes a better XC race frame than a Mojo SL with an RPL.

The Mojo offers the added benefit of being a more fun and versatile bike on non race days when running 25% sag and opening up the shock.

P.S. Blur LTC frame weighs about a half pound more than the Mojo SL and many would consider a 5.6lb frame too heavy for Elite XC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I own both bikes and can tell you that the rides are totally different, with both having their merits. The Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon frame is nearly a pound lighter 4.2 #/ XCc vs 5.1#/ Mojo SL, such that the complete bike with race wheels for the Santa Cruz is 20.5 lbs, and the Mojo Sl is about 23.75. The Blur has near instant accelleration and climbs like a Mt. Goat, while the Mojo Sl is much more plush and better at decending. I like the SC for for X/c training rodes. I like the Mojo for AM technical or rocky trails. I like then both equally. If I had to choose (1) bike I would have to go for the Mojo, as it can be built as light as 22 lbs. or so and shines in all conditions. The SC bike rides more like a near hardtail by comparasion to the Mojo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    get the blur ltc
    Thanks for answering the question in such detail.
    milesW

bike rider
    Really, 4.2lbs for a med Blur XCc? I'd heard upper 4s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Really, 4.2lbs for a med Blur XCc? I'd heard upper 4s.
    The frame is 4.2. Combined with the fact that you can put a fox f120 which weighs 3.25 w/ a 9mm qr, when compared to the Fox Talas spec'd for the Ibis, XC turns into a lighter bike.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    ...I don't think anyone would argue that the Blur XC pedals better than the Mojo does when run with only 20% sag and ProPedal. Ignoring builds and only looking at frames I don't see how anything else makes a better XC race frame than a Mojo SL with an RPL.

The Mojo offers the added benefit of being a more fun and versatile bike on non race days when running 25% sag and opening up the shock.
    Agreed. I had the chance to ride the BXCC and the Tallboy last weekend, and if choosing between the Mojo/RPL and BXCC/RP23BV for racing, I'd have to choose the Mojo for the reasons mentioned above.

The BXCC is fast, light, stiff, racy and good looking...an all around very nice, though purpose-built machine. I would not describe it as plush or super confidence inspiring. It also uses the low compression tune RP23, which means that the PP lever has almost no effect, regardless of the dial setting. Hats off to Ibis for offering the RPL, which has a wide range of adjustability (wide open, strong PP, locked) out of the box. I'm not sure how the BXCC performs with the RockShox rear shock, and I'd love to try it with an RPL. There were some situations, when hammering, where I wanted more PP on the Blur.

The Mojo works well in a wider range of conditions, and it is more versatile depending on how you set it up. If you have to choose, and you will also be using this as your 'regular' (non-racing) bike, then get the Mojo with the RPL.

Hope this helps,

-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for starting this thread. I am in the market for a new race bike and am trying to choose between these 2 bikes. Most of my riding is XC, and most of my races are XC, like sea otter. But I do live 1 hour away from Downieville and Tahoe, where the extra travel would be great. I turn 50 next year and am looking forward to doing well in races in my new age group. I wish I could get both!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Any comments with regard to frame flex of each bike? Does one flex more than the other under load or during aggressive cornering?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Thanks for starting this thread. I am in the market for a new race bike and am trying to choose between these 2 bikes. Most of my riding is XC, and most of my races are XC, like sea otter. But I do live 1 hour away from Downieville and Tahoe, where the extra travel would be great. I turn 50 next year and am looking forward to doing well in races in my new age group. I wish I could get both!
    If you are looking for a bike that will also serve you well at Tahoe and Downieville, then the Mojo is your choice, hands down.

A Mojo that is set up for XC can easily be made more more AM oriented, with the addition of:

Wider tires
    Shorter stem/riser bar
    Big ring bash guard
    Dropper post

Take this from an advanced rider who was punished this season by bringing and under-equipped Mojo to some of the rougher trails in the Sierra. I can only imagine what it would have been like with a pure XC bike.

-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~
    If you are looking for a bike that will also serve you well at Tahoe and Downieville, then the Mojo is your choice, hands down.

A Mojo that is set up for XC can easily be made more more AM oriented, with the addition of:

Wider tires
    Shorter stem/riser bar
    Big ring bash guard
    Dropper post

Take this from an advanced rider who was punished this season by bringing and under-equipped Mojo to some of the rougher trails in the Sierra. I can only imagine what it would have been like with a pure XC bike.

-D
    Hmmm... That looks like Grouse ridge and the tahoe rim trail above tahoe city? I agree that the Mojo is the obvious choice for these rides and races. The problem for me is most of my riding and racing is not on technical terrain. Sea Otter, and other races, are buff singletrack. I would be better off with the Blur, it is lighter and climbs better.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Hmmm... That looks like Grouse ridge and the tahoe rim trail above tahoe city? I agree that the Mojo is the obvious choice for these rides and races. The problem for me is most of my riding and racing is not on technical terrain. Sea Otter, and other races, are buff singletrack. I would be better off with the Blur, it is lighter and climbs better.
    Actually, all of those photos were taken south of 50 (near Strawberry/Silver Lake).

Out of curiosity, have you ridden both bikes? I come from an XC racing background, and for the courses you describe, I'd take an XC outfitted Mojo with a 130mm fork and RPL over the BXCc with the stock RP23BV. While hammering, there was more actuation from the RP23 than I prefer, and there was no way to adjust it on the fly, due to the effect that the low compression tune has on the PP lever. Perhaps the Rockshox performs differently on the Blur.

If the RPL were available on the Blur, and money were no object, I'd probably use the Blur for those well groomed XC courses that you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    Any comments with regard to frame flex of each bike? Does one flex more than the other under load or during aggressive cornering?
    The Blur felt very solid; I did not notice any appreciable flex while climbing or descending.

I'm a large rider (6'4", 200lbs), and I tend to put a lot of power through the pedals. I can't say that I really notice any flex on the Mojo frame, though I can't say the same for my handlebar/stem/32mm QR Fox. Admittedly, I'm more tuned in to pedaling performance/drivetrain stiffness, so take this for what's it's worth.

-D

mtbr member
    Actually, all of those photos were taken south of 50 (near Strawberry/Silver Lake).

Out of curiosity, have you ridden both bikes? I come from an XC racing background, and for the courses you describe, I'd take an XC outfitted Mojo with a 130mm fork and RPL over the BXCc with the stock RP23BV. While hammering, there was more actuation from the RP23 than I prefer, and there was no way to adjust it on the fly, due to the effect that the low compression tune has on the PP lever. Perhaps the Rockshox performs differently on the Blur.

If the RPL were available on the Blur, and money were no object, I'd probably use the Blur for those well groomed XC courses that you describe.

The Blur felt very solid; I did not notice any appreciable flex while climbing or descending.

I'm a large rider (6'4", 200lbs), and I tend to put a lot of power through the pedals. I can't say that I really notice any flex on the Mojo frame, though I can't say the same for my handlebar/stem/32mm QR Fox. Admittedly, I'm more tuned in to pedaling performance/drivetrain stiffness, so take this for what's it's worth.

-D
    I'm riding an old blur xc now, I know the new carbon is very different. I have not tried the Mojo but plan too soon. thanks for your input, it is a tuff choice!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hats off to Ibis for offering the RPL, which has a wide range of adjustability (wide open, strong PP, locked) out of the box....

The Mojo works well in a wider range of conditions, and it is more versatile depending on how you set it up. If you have to choose, and you will also be using this as your 'regular' (non-racing) bike, then get the Mojo with the RPL.

Hope this helps,

-D
    Where does Ibis offer the RPL? I don't see that on their website. Or is that something that's just known in the Ibis community?

edit: It looks like in 2008 Ibis offered the RPL instead of the stock RP23 for no upcharge. Is that still true today? Does Fox even make RPL shocks anymore?(edit: Yep.)
    Last edited by happyriding; 10-10-2009 at 09:07 PM.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding
    Where does Ibis offer the RPL? I don't see that on their website. Or is that something that's just known in the Ibis community?

edit: It looks like in 2008 Ibis offered the RPL instead of the stock RP23 for no upcharge. Is that still true today? Does Fox even make RPL shocks anymore?(edit: Yep.)
    Call 'em and ask 'em, or shoot them an email. It was Hans who recommended the shock to me, and it was some of the best advice that I've been given.

Let us know what you find out.

-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    >>Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    ...I don't think anyone would argue that the Blur XC pedals better than the Mojo does when run with only 20% sag and ProPedal. Ignoring builds and only looking at frames I don't see how anything else makes a better XC race frame than a Mojo SL with an RPL.

Agreed. I had the chance to ride the BXCC and the Tallboy last weekend, and if choosing between the Mojo/RPL and BXCC/RP23BV for racing, I'd have to choose the Mojo for the reasons mentioned above.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    +1 for above

I've been riding rpl for a year or so. Great shock if you like firm climbing xc style like myself. I use lockout quite allot climbing but wide open on long descents and sometimes I even use the medium pp setting. You can get a custom tune on rp23 (but not rpl/triad) from Darren at Push just like you want it. Only compaint I had about the rpl is I had fits getting my remote designed to work with it. It was pretty easy to get the remote working with the rp23.
    I think the weight of painted Moj SL is only about .3 lbs or ~ 136 grams heavier than the Blur and the clearcoat matte carbon . So I would keep the Moj and add 650b wheels (you could do with ethier of these bikes. You will find all the research you need on mtbr.)
    Only negative I see is usable water bottle mount (messes with my grab a bottle and go for short rides.) Really no effect on the marathons cause I drink from mtn streams...um where was i...oh yea; But the cross bracing the Moj uses combined with the Lopes Link makes it a wonderful climber as well as world class handling rocky stuff a very well balanced bike.
    That said, I also tried the Tallboy (built up with superlight wheels was as light as my Moj build) and loved it (overall better bike for me on my all day excurions), out climbs my Moj 650b and will replace it when I get some money. But It definetly will not out descend the Plush Moj (the Tb needs a bit more shock tuning but still only so much you can do with 100mm still...) .......I need a bigger stable. ;D Both SC and Ibis great companies but I would have to give +++ for outstanding customer service at Ibis.
    Last edited by ghawk; 10-29-2009 at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i've been wonding this same question too.

hows the bump absorption and anti-bob between the 2?

More Torque
    Bump absorbtion on the Mojo is superior; it has what I would describe as a plush ride. The blur XC has a racy feel to it, and I would not describe it as plush.

Anti bob is about the same on both, when they are equipped with the Fox RP23. If the Mojo is optioned with the RPL, then the anti-bob in the propedal (not full lockout) setting is superior.

-D

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i wonder how the blur xc would do with the RPL?

Members who have read this thread: 0