Do I really need a 44cm offset fork for the Ripley V3?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do I really need a 44cm offset fork for the Ripley V3?

So hard to find a reasonably priced 44 offset fork. Has anyone tried the more common 51 offset? Did it work? Should I go with 130mm or 140 mm? Thanks

mtbr member

Do I really need a 44cm offset fork for the Ripley V3?

Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Just J; 09-08-2019 at 12:03 AM. Reason: I skim read!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That bike is designed for a 51mm offset. Check the specs. Also, I only ran a 51 offset so canít comment on shorter offset. I ran 140mm fox 34.
    Last edited by Crillz; 09-07-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Also,

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As Crillz said, the V3 is designed around a 51mm offset fork.

I thought the thread was about the V4, which is spec'd for a 44mm offset fork. I am curious about people's experiences with re-using existing 51mm forks on the newest Ripley

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by doctapow View Post
    As Crillz said, the V3 is designed around a 51mm offset fork.

I thought the thread was about the V4, which is spec'd for a 44mm offset fork. I am curious about people's experiences with re-using existing 51mm forks on the newest Ripley
    I have ordered a XL Ripley v4 frame and plan on using my 51mm offset 140 Pike from my current bike. I will post my experiences once I've had a few rides with new rig.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Nobody is going to notice 7mm of trail, no matter what some website review told you.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Nobody is going to notice 7mm of trail, no matter what some website review told you.
    I did on my HD3. Went from a 46 to a 37.
    Same fork, just purchased the 37 offset lowers and swapped them.
    I prefer the bike with the shorter offset.
    Change wasn't a huge difference, but definitely a difference. Some people may not notice.
    Do I really need a 44cm offset fork for the Ripley V3?-offset.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Perhaps some people donít notice minor geometry changes or travel changes, but from personal experience the differences are real, and I think the more technical or faster the terrain, these changes are magnified.

I never thought Iíd notice a few cm here in reach, or a couple degree steeper seat angle, or one degree slacker HTA, etc. etc. but itís noticeable. Especially in the PNW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride a large V4 with a 51mm Fox 34 130mm. Lots of climbing, lots of switchbacks. If you've been to Bend, you'll know these trails.
    Have a 40mm stem, 780mm flat bar, 5'10", 165 pounds with 32" pant inseam. I'm one of the fastest climbers and descenders among Cat 1 racers, and have pro-level off-road moto background. My times up and down whether a 1 hour ride of a 12,000' climbing day are within seconds whether I'm on a 100mm XC with 69 HTA and 73.5 STA or the Ripley V4. But the Ibis is a lot more fun and less tiring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillz View Post
    Perhaps some people donít notice minor geometry changes or travel changes, but from personal experience the differences are real, and I think the more technical or faster the terrain, these changes are magnified.

I never thought Iíd notice a few cm here in reach, or a couple degree steeper seat angle, or one degree slacker HTA, etc. etc. but itís noticeable. Especially in the PNW.
    I think I could probably notice a lot of those things, but I'm skeptical that I could notice 7mm of trail. That's not to say steering geometry isn't a significant factor, but 7mm of trail is less than 10% for me. If I get to the point where I can notice such things, I'd focus on it. But there are also very similar bikes on the market that have much greater differences than that, and they all sell well. I suppose there's something for everyone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I ride a large V4 with a 51mm Fox 34 130mm. Lots of climbing, lots of switchbacks. If you've been to Bend, you'll know these trails.
    Have a 40mm stem, 780mm flat bar, 5'10", 165 pounds with 32" pant inseam. I'm one of the fastest climbers and descenders among Cat 1 racers, and have pro-level off-road moto background. My times up and down whether a 1 hour ride of a 12,000' climbing day are within seconds whether I'm on a 100mm XC with 69 HTA and 73.5 STA or the Ripley V4. But the Ibis is a lot more fun and less tiring.
    This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Looking at a large V4 and I have a Pike 130mm with a 51mm offset. Was a bit worried about that.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    https://youtu.be/wgHX7siJwso
    Don't sweat it! I found this video very helpful in explaining the different offsets. Don't discount the marketing behind this and manufacturer's concerns that no one will buy their bikes without the reduced offset fork that an online retailer or MTBR forum contributor talked up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Looking at a large V4 and I have a Pike 130mm with a 51mm offset. Was a bit worried about that.
    I should add that my descents are not super long eye-watering mach 10 speed. If that was the case then maybe I'd be on a 44mm rake...but more than likely I would not be on a Ripley V4 if my terrain were let 'er rip don't touch the brakes freefalls.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I should add that my descents are not super long eye-watering mach 10 speed. If that was the case then maybe I'd be on a 44mm rake...but more than likely I would not be on a Ripley V4 if my terrain were let 'er rip don't touch the brakes freefalls.
    I have the same situation as almost all the trails I ride are natural twisty single tracks with lot of roots and rocks. So I think the 51mm offset will be a good fit for the Ripley v4 in my case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine View Post
    So hard to find a reasonably priced 44 offset fork. Has anyone tried the more common 51 offset? Did it work? Should I go with 130mm or 140 mm? Thanks
    Who led you down this rabbit hole....
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack