Different Quad Pain from New Bike with Different Geometry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Different Quad Pain from New Bike with Different Geometry

Has anyone noticed new quad pain issues with new Ripley V4 especially coming off an OG or a bike w/ different geometry?

I am well conditioned at the moment coming off a Ripley V2. I am now riding the V4 w/ 165mm cranks down from 175mm (mostly due to hip issues). I have had two rides so far, a 12 miler and a 25 mile w/ 3500' elevation gain within three days. I notice when on longer climbs my quads ache more and differently than they did before the switch over.

I have heard similar issue going from a V2 to a Ripmo. Is it crank length, is it different geometry or saddle height? Please weigh in.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I can absolutely understand muscle soreness when switching to something different. Those muscles simply aren't as trained up yet. Give it a few rides and yo'll be as good as new, but may take some tweaks of the seat or bar positions.

This is similar to a thread posted a few months ago. Dude got a dropper and asked why his quads are all of a sudden tired.
    In the end, it seems the result was he was squatting more than he had been before (he never posted an update if his fatigue went away though).

mtbr member

More miles down the trail. Closing in on the SWEET spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I can absolutely understand muscle soreness when switching to something different. Those muscles simply aren't as trained up yet. Give it a few rides and yo'll be as good as new, but may take some tweaks of the seat or bar positions.

This is similar to a thread posted a few months ago. Dude got a dropper and asked why his quads are all of a sudden tired.
    In the end, it seems the result was he was squatting more than he had been before (he never posted an update if his fatigue went away though).
    I'm in the final stages of addressing my issues w/ this great bike. With 200 miles under me now, I'm feeling more at home. Adjustment to this bike has been a challenge. Dialing it to my gnats ass requirements has been tricky. The biggest adjustment I've done so far is to go up to a 60mm stem from a 50mm. I originally speculated that a two inch difference in reach (going from a medium V2OG w/ 90mm stem to a medium V4) could be compensated by going to a shorter stem (50mm is definitely too short). I noticed I was experiencing hand and wrist soreness/strain besides the quad muscle issues (still attributed to new geometry. Scot said it would take some adjustment time.) The slightly longer stem made a world of difference on yesterday's 22 miler. I like it! Even my quads behaved (now compensated due to time in saddle?)! I finally climbed like my old self. I will throw a 70mm stem on for today's short experimental ride. I'm getting prepared to guide next week for the Ibis Migration and I must have it perfect. I'll have Kirk do a super fine tune to it.

My latest observations are: This bike outclimbs (hands down!) previous Ripley models, especially the LS. Just plain sticks like Gorilla glue to the ground. No feeling of lightness in the front end what-so-ever. Magnetic?

Blasting through roots is a treat! We have BC like roots here and there and I use to look for easy routes through them. My OG use to pop up. Now, I look beyond the roots. The V4 is a magic carpet ride over roots.

Downhilling is faster than ever, but I still need to trust this bike more, thus beginning the turns sooner (3.1" longer wheel base than OG). I love the new 2.4R and 2.6F Maxxis Rekons! This is up from 2.25R & 2.35F Nobby Nics. Our trails are very narrow with fast swooping turning downhill where one must be totally focused (good to stave off dementia). Due to the STA, I have tended to sit too forward on hard aggressive turns thus washing out several times. I detest roosting. As a Steam Donkey trail crew member, I do tons of trail work and must put that dirt back! For punishment, I sit in the switchback corner facing the wall without my bike. Be one w/ the turn, Luke! With that 150mm dropper, there is more room to hang the ass back more.

- Last on the list- Switch backs are my current nemesis. This will take some more time w/ tons of practice. Several very sharp 180s get my HR screaming. There is nothing like the tire squarely on the edge of a mean drop off to get one's firm attention. hard to look where I'm suppose to go. Once I get the sweet spot established, I'll rule my back yard.

This too will be mine...!

The Ibis Ripley V4 or "Ripley's Next Generation" has been a humbling/yet exciting experience. Light Years ahead of past iterations. A superb master class machine requiring me to become its Master. At my tender age, I need all the new experiences I can muster. Then, put them into the Genie bottle for my future rides...