mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Creaky carbon seat post.

Have a brand new Mojo and the Easton carbon seat post creaks. I lubed it, retorqued it with carbon lube and still creaks. It is an xl frame and I am a pretty large fella. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

flow where ever you go
    Does the post fit snuggly when pushing it in? How do you know it is the seatpost doing the creaking? If you aren't sure, check for dirt or binding of the cable ferrules in the cable stops by the seatpost.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The post slides in pretty easily, when clamp is loosened it will slide all the way down. Bike is new so no dirt to report. It is the post or possibly the seat. It creaks in tune when I pedal but not if I stand up.?

flow where ever you go
    I don't know, but I can say my carbon post (raceface) goes in (and out) very tightly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I know it sounds crazy, but check the front der. housing ferrule on the main triangle. When the suspension moves the housing rotates, resulting in a pretty loud creak. Shifting your weight by standing somewhat unloads the suspension.

Try this: Ride so the the creak happens, and just reach down and hold onto the ferrule at the cable stop. Can you stop it from shifting/rotating? Does this diminish the noise? Mine did it from day one. A little Ti-Prep in the stop solves the problem.

flow where ever you go
    All the ferule stops can creak. So check them all. It always sounds like "something else". Mine only do it when the right dirt is in there, but I see burkut confirms his new ferrule creaked.

The MTB Lab
    Also check the bolts and saddle of the clamping area, it can also creak from there...and as stated the ferule creak, sometimes a tad of lube or washing the bike makes it go away, albeit for a short time

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My seat post also creaked when new, in fact when I jumped of a sidewalk curb it sounded like a gun shot went off under me. I found that I had to really tighten the seat post bolts. Much more than on my other bike with aluminum post. The next creak really drove me nuts, a constant creek when in the saddle in the 3 lowest gears. I cleaned all the ferules but creak still happened. As always made sure the saddle was very tight. Then one day when adjusting my seat angle I decided to take the seat off and clean it as well as the whole clamping area. The creak disappeared. The amount of dirt was very minimal but I guess it does not take much.

Straw

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Interesting, thanks fellas I will give all a try and post results.

Members who have read this thread: 0