mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well Crack in frame - should I be concerned...

I have had my Ibis for just over a month and do not do aggressive riding, no drops etc, normal XC-type things, some small 300mm jumps maybe - today as I was cleaning her, I saw a hairline crack in the paint on the downtube close to the shock, about three quarters of the width of the tube. There is a small one close to the headset as well, about 20 - 30mm long.

Do I need to be concerned and what is a good way to find out if it is just the paint, or the frame as well?

mtbr member
    take pictures e-mail them to Ibis, also so post them so we can see.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    probably just the paint, but you should send a picture to Ibis, they will let you know for sure.

(not sure why people come to forums first about concerns like this rather than just going directly to customer service for the thing).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    probably just the paint, but you should send a picture to Ibis, they will let you know for sure.

(not sure why people come to forums first about concerns like this rather than just going directly to customer service for the thing).
    I mailed Ibis shortly after I received my frame, and they were exceptionally friendly, but I did take the query to the bike shop as well.

Ibis' response was that I am in good hands with the bike shop, and they'll take care of me. Should others have experienced paint cracking, they could at least give me the info that the paint does crack at times - and normally it is not something I should worry about, or every owner who saw a crack in the paint had it replaced, gives me an indication of the urgency.

So it really was just to get an indication and perspective of some other Ibis owners.

mtbr member
    I've had paint fracture from being hit by a big rock. At first I was nervous but then realized it was just the paint that was cracked, even if it was the carbon, the carbon is super built up in those sections.

Turn off the TV
    Cracks in paint could equal flex which could equal crack in carbon which may equal bad times. Super built up or not. What did the bike shop say?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I sent the pics to Ibis, they are, as always, exceptionally helpful.
    Will revert once they have assessed - but the biggest perk (besides riding one) of buying an Ibis is the legendary after-sales, so I am in no way worried!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just cracks in the paint - will be keeping an eye on it though!

holding back the darkness
    This thread is useless without pictures.
    **** censorship

holding back the darkness
    This thread is useless without pictures
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

easy test for damage

Quote Originally Posted by Wernervdmerwe
    Just cracks in the paint - will be keeping an eye on it though!

An easy way to find damaged or delaminating CF is the nickel test. Take a nickel and tap somewhere that is undamaged. You should hear a solid sounding "clack." Then, tap around the suspected damaged area. If you still hear a solid sound, you are OK. If the sound changes to a dull "thunk" you should investigate further.

At least thats what they taught us to do in carbon fiber repair school back in the '80s when I fixed harriers.

-JC

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    come on...photos!!
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Members who have read this thread: 0