mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Upset crack in the bottom bracket

after a short rider today i heard some minor creeking from what i thought was the crank... after further investigation i discovered this small crack...
    bike is only about 1 month old with less than 10 rides... hope ibis customer service is all its cracked up to be i saved for a long time to get this baybe...
    xl mojo carbon factory xt build kit...
    taking it to river rat mountain bikes tomorrow afternoon ill let everybony know how this thing turns out
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mate... it would have been nicer it you contacted Ibis first before posting ;-)
    Nonetheless... it is always good to hear about these sorts of failures... I'm sure the folks at Ibis will help you out, I don't think they've failed anyone yet.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn
    Mate... it would have been nicer it you contacted Ibis first before posting.

Why? Is a crack that Ibis covers not really a crack?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by radnasty
    Why? Is a crack that Ibis covers not really a crack?
    Nope... it's often a better way to develop a relationship with a vendor. And I would consider it a bit of courtesy.

Would you not think the following course of action would be a better approach?

1. Contact Ibis / LBS, let them know what happened.
    2. Wait for a response (hopefully will be a good one)
    3. Post a thread saying... "Wow! great service... look at what happened here.."
    3a. If they gave bad service .. you can still post saying. "hmmm... guess what guys..."

Point is... a little courtesy starts everything off on a positive note..

Just my 2c

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for posting. We have seen a couple of these on mtbr. No big deal no need to panic.
    Please give them a teli call first thing when they open and you will be very happy. If the bike shop built it up for you it is their responsiblity to quickly do tear down and send and rebuild in a few days when you get your new frame (free of charge.)
    I have never seen a bad response with Ibis customer service and yours will not be the first.
    Best bike and value in the world btw.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 07-30-2008 at 03:35 AM.

flow where ever you go
    To my eyes it's not clear that it is a crack. At least not one that is deep enough to cause a creek. May only be a surface fracture that has no effect on the carbon weave structure. But either way.... you'll be up and running soon.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'll bet Hanssc will be replying in the next 5 post
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    No way Ibis is going to help you. I mean, look at their track record so far, have they ever helped someone in a situation like yours?

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Nope... it's often a better way to develop a relationship with a vendor. And I would consider it a bit of courtesy.

3a. If they gave bad service .. you can still post saying. "hmmm... guess what guys..."

Just my 2c
    Your 2 cents ain't worth a penny. Opinions are free so you're way over priced. I won't charge a thing for this one.

I hate internet police nazi douchenozzles like you. Get off you're high horse. His post wasn't inflammatory in any way shape or form. You act as if we owe Ibis or an LBS something. News flash...we don't. We're the customers. We're always right.

Now, ya live by the sword, ya die by the sword and it flies both ways. For Ibis and for the OP. You air your laundry on the internet and it's there for all to see. You pimp your wares in a forum and you're subject to every little niggle anyone has being discussed in public. It's the beauty of the internet.

From what I've seen Ibis has shown nothing but impeccable customer service here. The fact that they are active in the forum is one of the reasons I bought a Mojo. Threads like this do nothing but help Ibis sell bikes as they show time and time again that they are responsive to their customers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Just my 2c
    I agree completely; I had similar issue and Ibis as usual took care of it so fast and professionally that I am a customer for life.

Your 2 cents ain't worth a penny. Opinions are free so you're way over priced. I won't charge a thing for this one.

I hate internet police nazi douchenozzles like you. Get off you're high horse. His post wasn't inflammatory in any way shape or form. You act as if we owe Ibis or an LBS something. News flash...we don't. We're the customers. We're always right.

Now, ya live by the sword, ya die by the sword and it flies both ways. For Ibis and for the OP. You air your laundry on the internet and it's there for all to see. You pimp your wares in a forum and you're subject to every little niggle anyone has being discussed in public. It's the beauty of the internet.

From what I've seen Ibis has shown nothing but impeccable customer service here. The fact that they are active in the forum is one of the reasons I bought a Mojo. Threads like this do nothing but help Ibis sell bikes as they show time and time again that they are responsive to their customers.
    All I can say about this post is what a JACKASS! As a business man myself I value direct customer feedback, I hate reading about someones dissatisfaction with us or our product on a web site or message board.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Update On Crack

jusk a quick update...
    OK OK so i will say WOW WOW....
    i emailed ibis last night with my concern. at 7:45 this morning a guy named scot emailed me asking for some pictures... i sent them around 9:30 by 10:00 scot had promised to replace it and expedite a new triangle to me... THESE GUYS ARE AWESOME they are paying attention like most companys dont... this is why i bought from them... will post again soon...

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade@LSTD

All I can say about this post is what a JACKASS! As a business man myself I value direct customer feedback, I hate reading about someones dissatisfaction with us or our product on a web site or message board.

Thanks for proving my point, moron.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Aah, scot. If Im not mistaken he does hang out in this forum also beside hanssc.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

gravity curmudgeon
    You know, I'm not an Ibis bike owner but do keep my eye on what appears to be an interesting mtb, the mojo.

My take: All bikes can and will eventually break. I'm a Turner owner and a big fan. Guess what, they break too. Duh. I don't think that posting a picture and information on a frame crack is dissatisfaction with the company or product. It happens, and the information may be helpful to other bike owners who can keep an eye on certain areas of the frame. Typically, a specific frame will generally fail in the same area(s) among a population of bikes. Some may vent when a frame breaks, but that's a different story, often one that simply has to play out.

Additionally, this kind of post lets mojo owners and potential owners follow the progression of customer service from beginning to end, versus a sanitized debrief. This too is helpful by showing the character of a company.

The bottom line is that, like it or not, forums are a powerful communication tool that leaves traditional customer-company relationships in the dust. Some companies do better at it than others. Ibis appears to do a good job with their customer service and with connecting to customers via this kind of forum.

To the original poster -- good to see Ibis quickly take care of this. I never doubted it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You know, I'm not an Ibis bike owner but do keep my eye on what appears to be an interesting mtb, the mojo.
    Me too
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by t1deep
    jusk a quick update...
    i emailed ibis last night with my concern. at 7:45 this morning a guy named scot emailed me asking for some pictures... i sent them around 9:30 by 10:00 scot had promised to replace it and expedite a new triangle to me... THESE GUYS ARE AWESOME they are paying attention like most companys dont... this is why i bought from them... will post again soon...
    Awesome it's great to know you can contact a company and get ahold of a real person that knows there sheit.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Additionally, this kind of post lets mojo owners and potential owners follow the progression of customer service from beginning to end, versus a sanitized debrief. This too is helpful by showing the character of a company.
    Couldn't agree more. I agree with the fact that it is worth contacting the original supplier first, I don't believe in this case that the OP had any bad intentions.

If was in the market for a Mojo again, I would read the forums first to get a realistic view of owners thoughts and any issues out there. Then I can make a balanced decision based on what I find.

Had the OP just contacted Ibis and got it fixed, we may never have known. Now if a few of these cases happened and Ibis again continued it's excellent customer service, potential buyers would still be unaware of these types of problems (I'm using Ibis however it really applies to any manufacturer in general). Of course, someone should rightly post that they received excellent customer service but in this and other industries it's easy to cover up issues, which is what Forums help to avoid.

Overall, I think in this case everyone wins, the OP got a new frame, Ibis continue to stand by their product and back up their legendary customer service and potential buyers know that like any other bike, frames fail from time to time.

It what happens when it does that matters.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Listen, like it or not THIS is the new economy. Any company that fails to manage their customer relations via forums like this FAILS. Period. If done right it's a HUGE benefit for both consumer and seller. The ONLY companies that don't welcome this type of dialog are those that have crappy customer service. That's why they hate that customers now have some power in the relationship. This is the best free marketing any company can get but it comes at the cost of servicing the customers.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Whoa....settle down cowboy....
    Which part of my post was nazi like???? stop and breathe for a moment...
    Do you not think showing some courtesy to the folks at Ibis worth 2cents?
    Last edited by littlejohn; 07-29-2008 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Oooo...he's rad and nasty!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Could be a Hindu sun worshipper?
    Matt Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hindus are usually more polite

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Whoa....settle down cowboy....
    Which part of my post was nazi like???? stop and breathe for a moment...
    Do you not think showing some courtesy to the folks at Ibis worth 2cents?
    Hmmm....let's see....maybe the part where you tell someone what they should or should not be posting?

Quote Originally Posted by Yerma
    Hindus are usually more polite

That'd be the nasty part. Just wait til I get rad.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hmmm....let's see....maybe the part where you tell someone what they should or should not be posting?

And then rounded them up along with other subversive posters, sent them to a concentration and eventually gassed them to death in the showers.

And everything else.

Yep, deffinitely a nazi.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Wait a sec... if you actually read my post.. item # 3

I never told anyone not to post.. I encourage these post like what the OP has done.. I was merely suggesting that he contact Ibis first out of courtesy......
    Geez mate... I find it ironic that you're the one flaming everyone else about their posts... when you haven't even read the posts correctly...

anyhoo.....
    To the OP... Great to hear Ibis is looking after you, I'm grateful you posted your mishap and hope you didn't misinterpret my original response like nastypants..

ride hard take risks

That'd be the nasty part. Just wait til I get rad.
    If you have a business today and are worried what people post about your product then you have issues to deal with. Yes the consumer should deal with the distributor directly first then post the bad and good but as a consumer you dont know where you stand until you do something. Put the shoe on the other foot and see how it feels first if you truly are a business man that deals with the public daily. With your attitude you sound like a person that says No all day then gets pissed when people say your company sucks. CS is not a simple thing and companies like Ibis are rare.
    Formotion Products

Turn off the TV
    Wow

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

follow up

Hi Forum,

I've been watching this thread, but since OP said he was taking it to the shop and contacting Scot I thought I'd stay out of it.
    Just a couple of things, We respect our customers and want them to enjoy the bikes. Part of that is a quick turn around when there is a problem.
    The guy named Scot that got back early in the AM is Scot Nicol the founder of Ibis way back in 1981, company owner, great bike rider, MTB hall of famer, etc. etc. He answers most of the customer emails. I think that's really cool.

We're trying to have fun with this thing and are really into what we do.

By the way, the crack may not be that serious, but still worth replacing though.

Cheers!

Hans

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

color change

one more quick note... they are allowing me to switch colors at no additional charge.... so they will be shipping a new swing arm and links as well... THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED BY ANY COMPANY... ill post new pics of the GUINESS FOAM later this week!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    one more quick note... they are allowing me to switch colors at no additional charge.... so they will be shipping a new swing arm and links as well... THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED BY ANY COMPANY... ill post new pics of the GUINESS FOAM later this week!!!!!
    Congratz, just next time avoid using soo many caps. We understood that you are very happy with their CS
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

aka dan51
    Threads like this are driving me to buy an Ibis more than anything else.
    Sure there are tons of great bikes out there, and I'd be happy with any of them. But this company seems to really have their act together and care about their products and customers. Which is rare in a lot of companies. Plus they are small and local to me, which is important as well.

Now if I could only decide on color and size.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU
    What´s the problem here ?????
    I didn´t read no offense there, take it Issie !!!!!!!!!!
    The man is CORECT there are thing´s that have there way of being handled !!!!!!!
    What is your frustration boy !!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    jusk a quick update...
    Thanks for update, that's what i mostly use mtbr for, bike tech.
    I gotta say it. Told you so, Told you so, nah nah, nah nah nah. (That's american childish taughting.)
    Btw, you might also mention how incredible the bike is and that's why you were so frustrated.
    Also, u won't find this service in many companies anywhere let alone bike industry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Listen, like it or not THIS is the new economy. Any company that fails to manage their customer relations via forums like this FAILS. Period. If done right it's a HUGE benefit for both consumer and seller. The ONLY companies that don't welcome this type of dialog are those that have crappy customer service. That's why they hate that customers now have some power in the relationship. This is the best free marketing any company can get but it comes at the cost of servicing the customers.
    You also are correct, but the way you let use on your opinion on last quote DAME boy RELAX

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    There are more illiterate, reading comprehensionally challenged, cliff hucking lemming morons in this thread then I'd have believed possible. Great job

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for update, that's what i mostly use mtbr for, bike tech.
    I gotta say it. Told you so, Told you so, nah nah, nah nah nah. (That's american childish taughting.)
    Btw, you might also mention how incredible the bike is and that's why you were so frustrated.
    Also, u won't find this service in many companies anywhere let alone bike industry.
    Haha, true true
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    The most fanatical, vocal, and defensive posters are not the ones most companies want "representing" thier products. It is something to keep in mind when posting. Trust me on this...I have spoken to bike companies who groan and sigh when I mention the names of specific posters in their forums. It eventually has a net effect of turning people away from a brand simply by associating that poster and the messages with the brand.

Ibis is establishing a very stellar record of consistently good customer service. Please consider not tarnishing that with over-the-top posts.

ride hard take risks
    There are more illiterate, reading comprehensionally challenged, cliff hucking lemming morons in this thread then I'd have believed possible. Great job
    We keep the world going round.
    Formotion Products

It's the axle
    Ibis is my paradigm of what a great company should be all about.

Fun, quality, support.

Sometimes I wish I had a job. Not very often. But this is one of those companies I'd enjoy working with.

ALBATROSS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, Ibis rocks but their CS makes them rock even more.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Good job! not a crack

turns out what i thought was a crack was NOT a crack!!!!! thats correct no crack... ibis still allowed me to change out the frame WOW what a company!!! Randy at river rat mtb in fair oaks made this thing happen super fast he is AWESOME and Jordan is a good guy to.... check out the new guiness foam mojo in the back of my truck... total turn time 2 days... that is so unbelievable ... great work guys.....

ride hard take risks
    Wow thats a huge plot of potential Pump Track lookin property whats in the back??
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, congrats. Another happy customer in the Ibis Customer satisfaction bin .
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Has a cycling disorder
    Make sure you mow the lawn and do your chores before playtime there sonny...
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

flow where ever you go
    Good news! I'm surprised they gave you another frame for "not a crack" and I'm almost surprised you accepted it.. Happy trails.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    they wanted to make sure i was happy

ride hard take risks
    they wanted to make sure i was happy
    You could be happier with a pump track.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    whats a pump track

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    You could be happier with a pump track.
    Yeah, pump track. You could even have a wall ride on that fence.

ride hard take risks
    whats a pump track
    Son you really need a Pump Track now.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ebook-w...p-track-nation

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/categor...es/pump-tracks
    Last edited by dogonfr; 08-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I could not dissagree more.
    Ranting on the internet is not a new economy, it is just people typing things relatively anonymously with no responsibility needed. So a large amount of plain garbage and or personal opinion gets reported as fact. This is no reflection on the guy who thought is frame was cracked, just a general observation.

I do think that people who have a problem with a product should take it up with the supplier, and by all means report sensibly what happens !!.

But all this chest pounding about " how dare you suggest we cannot type what we want when we want" is a bit childish.
    It is also quite thick to not understand that many of these forums have organised haters to diss various brands for their own reasons.
    The ability to type does not guarantee truth or fairness.

And as I said before, this is no reflection on the guy who thought is frame was cracked, just a general observation.

Anywhow I am glad this has had a happy outcome

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    We respect our customers and want them to enjoy the bikes. Part of that is a quick turn around when there is a problem.
    The guy named Scot that got back early in the AM is Scot Nicol the founder of Ibis way back in 1981, company owner, great bike rider, MTB hall of famer, etc. etc. He answers most of the customer emails. I think that's really cool.

We're trying to have fun with this thing and are really into what we do.
    I'm in the market for a new bike and I really liked the Ibis a lot but this thread has put me over the top for one. I'm really impressed. I like to support smaller companies who stand behind their product so now I guess I just have to figure out which Mojo I want.

Very impressive.

mtbr member
    I have cracked mine as well. Can I have a new frame? I'll pay the post...
    CrackedFrame.jpg

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieracer
    I could not dissagree more.
    Ranting on the internet is not a new economy, it is just people typing things relatively anonymously with no responsibility needed. So a large amount of plain garbage and or personal opinion gets reported as fact.

But all this chest pounding about " how dare you suggest we cannot type what we want when we want" is a bit childish.

It is also quite thick to not understand that many of these forums have organised haters to diss various brands for their own reasons.

The ability to type does not guarantee truth or fairness.

:
    Right, it's called the internet. Don't believe everything you read you twit. Saying someone should or shouldn't post something to it is idiotic. That's why they call it a forum. Get over your fanboy self and accept the fact that Ibis, just like any mfg that uses forums, will need to deal with customer service issues in public just like they deal with happy customers expounding on why the purchase they made is the best thing ever. Neither one says anything definitive about the company, even your beloved Ibis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Road rage much?

Once again you prove that you’re more nasty than rad.

1. By posting his “my bottom bracket is cracked” on the forum before notifying the manufacturer -even though it’s certainly his right- T1deep doesn’t show Ibis or any other manufacturer simple courtesy. Littlejohn was simply pointing this out when you trolled-flamed him.

2. As it turns out the poster was wrong. So he created a concern for any potential buyer who may not bother to read about the Ibis’s great CS and the happy outcome. (Google: Ibis, cracked).

3.” From what I've seen Ibis has shown nothing but impeccable customer service here. The fact that they are active in the forum is one of the reasons I bought a Mojo. Threads like this do nothing but help Ibis sell bikes as they show time and time again that they are responsive to their customers.”
    Yes and no.
    Yes Ibis has continued to show fantastic customer service. That means a lot to potential customers ( myself included). Ibis has also been working hard to educate the mtb consumer that carbon fiber is not a tweaky roadie material that can’t hack the trails. Read the forums and you see this is one of the main questions/concerns potential buyers have. So if a buyer is predisposed to thinking carbon will crack and they see the post & photo, they may look elsewhere. So a thread like this may not help them sell bikes.
    If T1deep would have contacted Ibis first, found out there was no crack and posted the experience it would still serve the forum community and interested lurkers.

4. Forums have etiquette and rules. No one said he shouldn’t post, just suggested a more courteous way of handling it. It’s also not a suggestion that customer service issues should be handled privately. It’s just being polite.

I’m not a “fanboy” of Ibis but I do respect that this is a small company trying do something a bit different in market that has been gobbled up by the Treks and Specializeds. (Full disclosure I own a Trek). It is being run by some very passionate and talented individuals who are trying (and succeeding) to make a quality product. That alone is reason to contact them when there is a problem before posting about it. Don’t forget… there was no problem with T1’s frame.

I still think you should change your forum name to "rudenasty". It fits you better. But then again, I’m Yerma.
    Last edited by Yerma; 08-08-2008 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay okay, good posts and point of opinions people, but I guess we can now put this matters into rest? Let us relax, chill, drink and ride your bike .

Oh yeah, mods, if you guys think its time to close this thread, please do
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Okay okay, good posts and point of opinions people, but I guess we can now put this matters into rest? Let us relax, chill, drink and ride your bike .

Oh yeah, mods, if you guys think its time to close this thread, please do
    Good luck on that thought this is a very tame posting.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, well I read some posts that I thought was not healthy for the forum, guess like you said, very tame posting.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

ride hard take risks
    Hmm, well I read some posts that I thought was not healthy for the forum, guess like you said, very tame posting.
    Yes there is baiting for an argument in this posting but this is somewhat normal when conversations like this come up. It would be like sitting at a table with musicians and say Jimi Hendrix didnt know how to play guitar because you like Classical better, there is always going to be a political argument from some one on something.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mea culpa

Apologies if it seems like I was baiting. I just disliked the rude postings and responded in kind. I'll stop now.

May the Force be with you
    This is why I ride a GT. We don't fight online in the GT forum.( just joking around)
    I do have to say the Ibis is a sweeeet looking bike.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yerma
    Apologies if it seems like I was baiting. I just disliked the rude postings and responded in kind. I'll stop now.
    Im not pointing fingers was just letting wheelhot know this was a very tame post that some will get very out of control but the Mods will only jump in if needed. Fortunately they dont have to on a post like this and they really hope that they dont have to do things like bannings.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I do have to say the Ibis is a sweeeet looking bike.
    Yeah, it is one sexy bike ^^
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

ride hard take risks
    Yeah, it is one sexy bike ^^

Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    lol, beijing olympics?